PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Yoda fight scene

Jargo
10-03-2001, 06:47 PM
TFN have posted another spoiler ridden report about Yoda's fight scene. Apparently he shows up just after Dooku has bested Obi and Anakin in the Geonosis hangar. His shadow falls onto the wall behind Dooku (ala Harrison Ford as Indy in Marion's bar in that scene from the first Indy movie.) and then he attacks him Jackie Chan style, wizzing round Dooku lightning fast. It's alleged that ILM are thinking this scene too silly ad George is keeping it in.
Me personally, I don't know what to think. Sounds great but also a little too cartoony. I can just see Chris Lee looking perplexed and vexed as a tiny green frog thing flies past his right ear like that scene in Gremlins 2 when he's attacked in the lab. But then, George does like to stick these comedy moments in........ :rolleyes:

bigbarada
10-03-2001, 07:44 PM
I'm usually pretty opened minded about the stuff I hear, but the idea of Yoda prancing and leaping around like a frog is cringe-inducing. I used to think that George knew what he was doing and wouldn't put anything stupid looking in one of his movies, however I'm not too sure about this one. I watch it pensively and be overjoyed if it simply doesn't suck.

jawaboy
10-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Greetings jargo. I've been fighting the forces of evil for awhile and haven't been able to stand beside my greatest comrade. Indeed, I too thought immediately about Gremilins. Unfortunately, I heard that Yoda will be splashed by a few drops of water and will produce "cloned" Yoda's. Hence the name of the title. These clones will then attack. Hence the name of the title. After winning, Yoda will party till after midnight, where he will he will wake up a furry rug.

I'm sure everyone here has missed me immensely! hehe

Jedi Clint
10-03-2001, 10:52 PM
Every time I hear about this sequence I cringe. I hope it turns out ok.

Co Jo-Da
10-03-2001, 11:19 PM
Personally, I find it hard to think that Yoda could move like the wind, even with the force. I'd like to see Yoda use the force to deflect any attack (like Vader in ESB) and then use it pick him up and spin him all over the place (like in Willow...HA HA).

Beside if you remember a part of the script that was leaked out a few months ago. Yoda shows up right as Count Dooku pulls away in his ship. Yoda then lifts a crane-like thing off Anakin whom was trapped under it during the fight.

JediTricks
10-04-2001, 09:17 AM
Man, this is exactly the type of crap I feared when Nick Gillard's comments about no Yoda fight started being challenged all over the web. If this is as bad as it sounds to me, I think I'll give up Star Wars altogether and start "JediTricks' Star Trek Guide". ;)

GNT
10-04-2001, 09:37 AM
Oooohh geez,this scene will be a must see,Although Dooku could always shoot Yodas hand of with a golden bullet but that would ruin the classic trilogy wouldn't it :)

master jedi
10-04-2001, 12:36 PM
Man, I can't wait until this scene.

Co Jo-Da
10-05-2001, 12:55 AM
After reading TheForce.net 's a couple of times, I've got more comfortable with the idea. And for everyone else:

(Taken from theforce.net)

Lucas and McCallum weren't kidding when they said Yoda was the 'Master'. We'll finally get to see what they are aluding to, and on opening night, make sure you bring some pillows to put on the floor, so when your jaw drops, it doesn't break. In short, Yoda's arsenal knows no bounds. That's why he is head of the Jedi Council, and why Mace enjoys a distant second in the standings.
Let's begin with the setting, we're in the Geonosis Hanger and there is a crane that hangs from the roof. Yoda is intent on fighting with Dooku and wants to end him, right there and then. Obi-Wan and Anakin are both out of commission at the time, but they are safe for now. You see, Anakin is only semi-conscious at the time and Obi-Wan has been beaten soundly too. They are still recovering while Yoda does his stuff.

The SUPERBATTLEDROIDS guard Dooku's Solar Sailor in the hangar. Eight of them, or so, though unfortunately for them they do not get to participate in the battle. When Yoda arrives his presence alerts the Superbattledroids. All of them turn to fire, but before they can get off any shots, Yoda calmly raises his hand and the droids are sent hurtling into the far wall. It is almost like Yoda is either in Council mode or Battle mode. Obviously the latter is more draining and Dooku already realises it is a battle he can not win.

Yoda's first words to Count Dooku are compelling. No interest in contests, do I have. he says, the cool little Master. Dooku begins the attack by charging in and raining down blows. Yoda calmly stands there and defends without much effort until Dooku wears himself out! That's when we see the real master go to work ...

Yoda uses only one lightsaber, but he is lightening quick. And Yoda is at one point up on Dooku's shoulders! He's not there for very long, just enough to scare the stuffing out of Dooku. Yoda towels up Dooku and forces him into a corner. His lightsabre is sent reeling. Dooku is down for the Count! Yoda leaps onto his shoulders and utters the infamous line The end for you, Count, this is. Yoda raises his mini lightsabre and prepares to skewer the Sith Lord's head. ...not yet...

Mustering his strength, Dooku dislodges the Jedi Master and, using the force, brings one of the ceiling cranes crashing down on the fallen Jedi. In the blink of an eye Yoda is underneath the massive structure holding it up, concentrating, whilst in the background Tyranus kicks his Interstellar Solar Sailor into gear and escapes the rocky planet.

That crane never actually lands directly on Anakin and Obi-Wan, as Yoda, seeing that it is going to cause some serious damage if it does, flashes to the other side of the hangar to keep the crane from impacting. But that was the break that Dooku needs to high tail it outta there. Dooku's ship fires up and the Sith escapes before it hits the fan.

He grabs the controls of the vessel and survives to fight another day.

Here's some of the exact details from the end of scene 161 of the movie, as we near the dramatic conclusion of Episode II:
YODA closes his eyes and concentrates. ANAKIN is unconcious, and OBI-WAN tries to get out from under the crane. The fallen crane trembles and starts to lift. Behind it, the sound of the Sail Ships's engines are heard starting up.
YODA concentrates harder. Slowly, the crane rises. The SOUND OF THE ENGINES increases. YODA exerts every acrap of his powers. The crane lifts clear of ANAKIN and is thrown to the ground.

DOOKU ' S Sail Ship takes off. OBI-WAN and ANAKIN struggle to the exhausted YODA, but it is too late. The Sail Ship rises into the air and flies away.

Obi-Don
10-05-2001, 02:46 AM
Wow! after reading that I hope its right. It sounds better than seeing Yoda jumping around like jackie Chan.

derek
10-07-2001, 04:26 PM
since i'm hesitant to see an old man(dooku) soundly defeat two youngsters, the thought of yoda in combat frightens me like nothing else. this is the same creature who is having trouble WALKING in the phantom menace! as jeditricks and jediclint said, this could be really bad. we could all be begging for more of jar jar's antics after this.

GNT
10-08-2001, 04:02 AM
It sounds good but I really don't want to see the "master" at work in the movies,he can use his hand and that but I don't want him using a lightsaber at all! Yoda jumping around the space sounds like a bad idea!

JEDIpartner
10-08-2001, 09:44 AM
I would be so pleased to NOT see Little Yo' whipping around the hangar like some crazed amphibian on crack. I would prefer the fight to be a little more about controlling the Force and not "agility". I think this would bring a little more nobility to the scene and would be a little more consistent with Yoda's normal movement.

Again... it's Uncle George's story and he can ruin it... I mean, write it however he wants. Thank God DVD players have chapter advance... I can get past this scene when the DVD comes out.

**sigh**:(

master jedi
10-08-2001, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I would be so please to NOT see Little Yo' whipping around the hangar like some crazed amphibian on crack.

...whipping around the hangar like some crazed amphibian on crack....

No offense but who in their right mind would not want to see this happen?

JEDIpartner
10-08-2001, 12:22 PM
well... I never said I was in my right mind- did I?

It just doesn't seem plausible with him hobbling around all the time. You'd think if he was that strong with the Force that he would have been able to get his legs working a little better ALL the time!

JediTricks
10-09-2001, 10:08 AM
I'm in my right mind and I REEEE-HEE-HEEALLY don't want to see this... at all... ever.

master jedi
10-09-2001, 03:21 PM
I hear that the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body. If this is true and since I'm left handed then I'm in my right mind and I really would like to see Yoda get into a big, awesome fight.

Maybe instead of some sort of lightsaber fight or something maybe it's Yoda's Force powers vs. Dooku's Force powers. Kind of like a battle of the minds or something similar.

Dark Annie
03-08-2002, 06:49 PM
I have been hearing that Yoda uses force lighting and lightsaber in some major Jedi battles, care to inform otherwise?:eek:

PloKoon2385
03-08-2002, 06:54 PM
I know nothing of this. Where did you hear this? Sounds interesting nevertheless.

Dark Annie
03-08-2002, 06:59 PM
I beleive I read about Yoda using Force Lightning on TheForce.Net. I don't remember where i read about the lightsaber sequences with Yoda. I would like to know if anyone else can confirm this theory or disprove it. May The Force Be With You...

Lord Tenebrous
03-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Somebody shall inform...after this is moved to the AOTC Spoilers section. Until then, I'll have to reply with :confused:

Lord Tenebrous
03-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Yoda fights with a lightsaber against Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus, after the Count has defeated both Obi-Wan and Anakin. Details about that battle are hazy, but we know that Yoda is winning until Dooku tries to crush Obi and Ani with a crane. Yoda saves them while the Count flees.

Yoda also uses a lightsaber in a training scene with Jedi children, telling them that a lightsaber is a Jedi's most valuable posession.

JetsAndHeels
03-09-2002, 01:03 AM
I like the idea that Yoda is going to show his skill, BUT I am very scared of what this scene is probably going to look like.
I am afraid that when we see it for the first time, you will hear someone in the theater snickering at it because it looks so silly.
As I imagine this fight sequence in my mind, I think of the scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (one of my personal favorites) where the killer rabbit is defending the cave. It flies around killing everyone, looking rather silly.
I hope this scene doesnt look anything like this.

Co Jo-Da
03-09-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
As I imagine this fight sequence in my mind, I think of the scene from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (one of my personal favorites) where the killer rabbit is defending the cave.

LOL

But I have faith in GL that he wouldn't go that far in destroying Yoda's image. When I first heard the 'Jackie Chan' styled fight, I was very worried but from what I've read and heard lately that the scene isn't that over-the-top. Atleast I hope...

BlahBlahBlah
03-09-2002, 12:04 PM
I read about a scene showed at ShoWest in which Yoda is seen grappling some force lightning. The first thought that came to mind wasn't Yoda himself using force lightning, but that Dooku tries to use it on Yoda, but Yoda manages to control it with his hand and send it back at Dooku. Personally I think that would be awesome, and would explain why Yoda is able to defeat him so easily.

Think about it. The guy's 80, maybe younger in the movie itself, but still pretty old, and has just been hit by his own force lightning. That'd be pretty draining. Plus, I don't see Yoda as much of an attacker, but a protector. He wouldn't attack Dooku head on, but defend himself.

I really don't like the whole jumping-on-Dooku's-shoulder thing. It's almost worse than the hopping around. The image of little Yoda on Dooku's shoulder is ... disturbing...

Jargo
03-09-2002, 12:35 PM
Remember that Anakin has been zapped by Dooku and is writhing on the floor of the Hangar. There's a pic of it somewhere I'll attach it later if i can find it. But i would think - putting jigsaw pieces together that Yoda steps in to protect Anakin and acts as a buffer against the force lightning that Dooku is raining down on Anakin. Therefore Yoda raises a hand and stops the flow dead. he then force pushes and the bolt is in effect shorted out which is why it looks like it's headed back to Dooku. So he isn't using force lightning like Palpatine did but just deflecting it away from his padawan junior as a protective fatherly gesture.

Yoda's entrance into this scene has been noted as a huge Yoda shaped shadow falling on the wall behind Dooku and then a tiny little figure entering into shot. kinda a play on the size judgement thing. Yoda is supposed to then use his size and speed to advantage to bamboozle Dooku. having now seen how mean Yoda looks with his steely glare i can see this working. I can see Christopher Lee being turned every which way as he tries to 'swat' Yoda or hit him with his saber. I can see Yoda somehow twisting Dooku so much that he falls to the ground and Yoda stands on his chest and looks down on him with pity and disgust while they deliver some meaty dialogue to each other then Dooku throwing Yoda off and the fight carrying on.

I'm not saying that's how it is I'm just imagining scenes and seeing that it could work if it's not allowed to slip comedy in there.
even a remote comedic element would totally trash a scene like this in an instant.

jawaboy
03-09-2002, 02:50 PM
I disagree. I hope JarJar comes to Yoda's rescue!!! What a hoot that would be! Woohoo!

Bosskman
03-09-2002, 02:58 PM
I WANNA SEE YODA FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JetsAndHeels
03-09-2002, 03:42 PM
Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt mind seeing Yoda fight, but at the same time it has a great risk. With the CGI being what it is and the fact that Yoda will be moving around alot using various battle techniques, this thing could end up looking like something out of "Toy Story" or another CGI movie. Not that "Toy Story" is bad, but there is no room for that kind of stuff in a battle sequence as important as this. However, the Gungan battle in EP1 was believable to me. If they pull it off kind of like this I think it should be OK.

Jargo
03-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

I am of course contradicting myself horribly with that previous reply. This I acknowledge and plead insanity..... but you all know I'm insane anyway so I plead sanity instead. :crazed:

Yoda whizzing around like he's taken a crapload of amphetamines is the only thing that worries me. The Jedi tricks will look cool but the speeded up movement as seen in TPM has always seemed really fake to me. It just doesn't seem to tally with the other effects in any of the movies - TPM included. So I hope we don't get too much of that in AOTC.

JetsAndHeels
03-09-2002, 04:03 PM
Just as long as it is respectable to the film, and it doesnt look fake.
Right, Jargo?

corporal AMF
03-09-2002, 07:26 PM
Jargo, whta do you mean to jedi speed movement? Whe Quigon and OB1 run from the droidekas and in ILM someone drop his cofee cup in the computer and acelerate the sequence.....?

It goes to the matter : Why didn't OB1 use speed movement in the naboo generator...:confused:

jawaboy
03-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Cause he was plain pooped to run fast...

Co Jo-Da
03-10-2002, 01:06 AM
Well with the trailer coming out tomorrow, I hope this subject is touched on...

2-1B
03-10-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
Well with the trailer coming out tomorrow, I hope this subject is touched on...

I agree, the trailer should show a bit of Yoda in action . . . so that if it is silly we'll have a hint at what to expect :confused:

Co Jo-Da
03-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Well we didn't get a shot to see Yoda in action but the trailer rocked...

Omega Fett
04-18-2002, 11:13 PM
I herd we get to see Yoda fight? is this true? if so its gonna both rock and be funny as heck lol

Wolfwood319
04-18-2002, 11:20 PM
Ummm....Why don't you read this thread to answer the questions you just asked?

Jedi Clint
04-18-2002, 11:32 PM
T'was a new topic Wolfwood. It shortly became part of this topic as it covers the exact same info. It does help to use the search function at the bottom of each forum's initial page to see if the topic has already been discussed though.

Toad
04-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Can't wait to see Yoda fighting. As long as he's not trying to be comedic, this is what I look forward to most in the entire movie. If it doesn't happen, that's cool too, but seeing Yoda kick some butt has been something I've looked forward to since circa 1980.

JEDIpartner
04-19-2002, 01:59 PM
If it looks silly... I will have to cry- right then and there in the theatre.

Toad
04-19-2002, 03:19 PM
Off-topic, and no offense, but is that Justin Timberlake as your avatar?

JesusFreak
04-20-2002, 05:31 PM
I don't think Yoda should use a lightsaber. He should just deflect Dooku's attacks for a while then start to force choke him but while he's doing this Dooku does the crane thing.

Taichi
04-21-2002, 01:17 PM
Personally, I can't wait to see this scene.......it's something myself, my brothers, and all my friends have been clamoring to see for years.........

Actually, I think the fight with Yoda should happen as such....

the wall blows out, and there's Yoda standing there.....

we pan to see the look on the enemy's face.....then pan back to Yoda, who raises his hand......we hear an offscreen scream, then pan back to the enemy who's head has exploded.....

complete subtlety......Yoda comes off as a badass, without having to exert himself, or costing ILM lots of money to animate it...and it doesn't look goofy......

although, I'm not worried, Yoda is the MASTER, and I kinda think it'll be cool to see him moving so fast......it adds another facet to his character.....proving that the feebleness is NOT due to his age, but just an act to fool those who would otherwise attack him......(Remember, beating up old people is fun.....what if an old guy was just 'faking it' so he could beat up young people whenever he wanted?)

I also heard that Yoda would win by squeezing his colostomy bag on the floor, causing Dooku to slip in Yoda's Dookie.......:crazed:

RooJay
04-22-2002, 06:09 PM
Doesn't sound wacky to me at all! I can't wait to see it! BRING IT ON!:D

Pendo
04-23-2002, 09:57 AM
Wacky Yoda fight scene...?

PENDO!

RooJay
04-23-2002, 02:38 PM
COOOOOOOL!:sur:

Wolfwood319
04-23-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
T'was a new topic Wolfwood. It shortly became part of this topic as it covers the exact same info. It does help to use the search function at the bottom of each forum's initial page to see if the topic has already been discussed though.

My mistake, sorry. But he Jedi Clint is right. With all the new forum-ites out there that have just come aboard in the last few weeks, I'm seeing a lot of repeat threads, or people starting new threads asking questions that have been discussed in older ones.

Back to the topic though, that dooku/yoda scene reminds me of Lee in Gremlins 2. At last he will have revenge...