PDA

View Full Version : The Acting in the Trilogy

Megs 2
07-02-2002, 01:24 PM
Sorry if this is a weird topic but regarding the trilogy. Which has the best/worst acting? I thought the acting was pretty good in ESB. I also believe that most of the dialogue in ROTJ was pretty bad/lame. Especially some scenes w/Luke.

anarky
07-02-2002, 01:34 PM
the worst is esb--derek "hobbie" klivvian

"two fighters against a star destroyer?"

harrison did a subpar job in anh, too--if you want to get nitpicky

Jek Porky 2002
07-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Only one thing comes to mind at the moment: When Luke is on Dagobah and R2 is in the water, when Luke says "R2, that way" the expression on his face and the way he says it looks like he's trying way too hard.

bigbarada
07-04-2002, 12:11 AM
I think the acting in ESB was the best, overall. ANH was fine. ROTJ seemed to be ever so slightly hammed up, the characters were two-dimensionalized somehow. The consequence of having different directors for each film. Different directing styles lead to inconsistent results throughout the trilogy.

LTBasker
07-04-2002, 12:17 AM
The acting was pretty good, IMO. The "You Rebel scum" line seemed a bit forced by the actor though, like he was too nervous about getting it right. That's just from memory though, I'm lacking on my latest OT viewings.. :(

TIE Pilot
07-04-2002, 01:49 PM
In ROTJ, in a number of scenes it seemed to me like Harrison Ford just didn't want to be there.

LTBasker
07-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by TIE Pilot
In ROTJ, in a number of scenes it seemed to me like Harrison Ford just didn't want to be there.

Yeah I wouldn't want to be hanging tied to a stick while a bunch of people were dressed up in fur-suits with torches not even 2 feet away either.

DarthBatman
07-08-2002, 12:49 PM
I always thought Luke did a bad job when he's explaining to Leie that they're siblings...

DarthSetnom
07-09-2002, 02:09 AM
ESB is the least bad of them all... ROTJ just doesn't cut it for me.

Of course you don't expect great acting in these films... Scripts are too lame.

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 07:34 PM
I think Hamill did an excellent job of evolving Luke from movie to movie. Especially seeing the contrast of Luke in ANH vs ROTJ. But what is funny is that even in ROTJ you can still feel his "Lukey-ness" from ANH. I guess there was no way to avoid it, but then again would we really want to.

gibbspaulus
07-12-2002, 07:49 AM
I love Carrie Fisher in the films but her delivery of 'I...' when talking to Han after Luke's told her the big secrets smacks of amateur dramatics, especially coupled with her patented 'turn away in emotional turmoil' move...

Shoddy....

AdmiralPiett
07-13-2002, 05:19 AM
I think the worst delivery of a line in any OT film has to be the line where Luke is surrendering to Vader and he says "I feel the conflict in you let go of your hate". Shouldn't there have been a period in there between "you" and "let"?
Piett

stillakid
07-13-2002, 10:27 AM
Hamill's performance went from "filmy" to "stagey" throughout the saga...which makes sense because of the theater work he was doing in between the movies. It wasn't a good change. Film is a much more intimate medium, to be played like "real life." In theater, an actor's movements and line delivery get much larger in order to project to the seats in the back. That's exactly how he played most of ROTJ. For a really good (bad?) example, the shot when he is struggling with the decision to get his lightsaber in the Emperor's chamber at the end is so over the top, it's distracting.

Except for some of the B and C characters already mentioned, the rest of the principle actors did a fair job.