PDA

View Full Version : What do your parents think?

Thrawn
07-02-2002, 01:39 PM
What do your parents think about SW films, your collection, etc. ?

I was emailed my parents review of E2 today and it was suprisingly dead-on.

"Dad and I went to see Star Wars yesterday. He said it was OK and that the special effects were fantastic. Yoda was the best part. Those two kids couldn't act at all."

Jonna
07-02-2002, 01:41 PM
With all the strange obsessions I've had, my mother is more than happy to go out and buy vintage SW stuff for me when she comes across it.

JetsAndHeels
07-02-2002, 01:42 PM
My parents like it, but thats it. I think it was when I got my SW tattoo they thought I went too far.
They dont mind my hobby though. If they are in the store and see something they dont think I have, they call me on the cell phone and check. Very cool of them I think.
Dad and I did the midnight show of AOTC on opening day, but mom wont go see it. She would rather look at it on tape, but only when I am with her because she needs someone to explain it to her.
But all in all, my parents like it, and they support my "habit."

Mandalorian Candidat
07-02-2002, 01:57 PM
My parents know I'm into the figure collecting thing. They're not surprised since I had all the stuff when I was younger. Now they wonder why I keep collecting. I don't think they really like it, but since I haven't lived with them for 10 years that's their problem.

scruffziller
07-02-2002, 02:43 PM
My dad condemned me from buying the figs (when I was out on my own) because they were basically going to eat up all my funds.
He was correct. My dad isn't reall that interested in SW, he likes JOHN WAYNE!!!! He gets more giddy over that then I do with SW. My mom still likes SW though.

Jargo
07-02-2002, 02:59 PM
My Mother sits and stares vacantly whenever I start talking about SW. She can be chatting away but as soon as there's any mention of it she just glazes over and smiles weakly while waiting for me to finish speaking or showing her my latest aquisitions and then once I stop she carries on as though i hadn't even spoken.
She refers to it as "Your Star Wars - thing..." as though it were a social disease. :)
I bullied her into buying me a few figures for my birthday one year but that's the closest she's ever come to giving in.
Oh, and she loaned me 100 to buy a load of action fleet vehicles one year. But insisted that the money be paid back in full and on time and in two weeks - not one but two. In real money not a cheque and not as a deposit into her account - real hard cash.

She's never seen any of the movies and has not the slightest inclination to sit down and watch sci fi. I try to tell her it's romantic fantasy but she's having none of it. I'll trick her eventually and find her sitting down to a marathon with all six movies on DVD or something. She's a closet fan - I can tell. She's bustin' to blurt out that she loves it all, just bustin'! :crazed:

My dad I haven't canvassed on the matter yet. When I find out where he is and track him down and nail him to the wall I'll remember to ask :evil:

Vortex
07-02-2002, 03:15 PM
My old man, always pops the tapes and DVD in about once or twice a week. He was even pestering me to take him to opening night, and when he met me in Iceland we went to watch it again and he got upset when they cut it after fett blasts off to leave kamino for the intermission break.

My collection...doesn't care just comments about the cost, and storage space.

My mom doesn't care either way. She just complains about me not dusting them, or moving them to dust...

Jedi Juice
07-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Fortunately, my whole family enjoys Star Wars. I started collecting figs when TPM came out and ever since, they've been helping me find all the figures that I need for my collection. They each took me to see EP2 and really love the original trilogy. I have an awesome family!

Jargo
07-02-2002, 03:39 PM
Can I come and live with you then.......? :(

187-Maul
07-02-2002, 04:58 PM
my parents like SW but that's all, my dad hasn't seen E1 yet because he always misses it when I watch it again
but everytime he goes to the US on business trip (about once a year) I give him a list with names and pictures and highest cost of the figs I want and he usually returns with as much figs as he could get/fit in his suitcase so that's really cool
and my mom sometimes helps me to ask the employees about new SW stuff in toysrus etc. (since I still can't speak that good french:D)

and as a sidenote, my brother collects SW toys too and my sis is pretty good informed on SW too (because of me mostly:D )

JediJeff77
07-02-2002, 05:03 PM
You can come live with me, Jargo.. ;)

SWAFMAN
07-02-2002, 05:32 PM
My dad told me he walked out on EP2. He said he thought it was too much CGI, with not enough good acting or story. I wouldn't consider him a fan of the series, even before the latest movie, but he sees lots of movies and I'm sure he's seen all the SW ones. He walks out on lots of movies if he doesn't like them, so I don't take it too personally that he did so for EP2. He's just picky and opinionated. For the life of me, I can't imagine that. Whew, good thing it doesn't run in our family.

He saw my collection a year or two ago, and has seen the online pics. He didn't really have any opinion about it one way or the other. He couldn't very well say anything too negative about MY collecting such relatively cheap stuff, since the "toys" he collects are stuff that require mortgages or wire transfers or insurance appraisals, or all three.

My mom has seen all the movies, but only as treats in taking my kids to see them. Usually after I've already taken them! I don't think she really cares about them. She likes streisand movies & stuff like that. She hasn't seen my collection since it was five or six ships sitting on a shelf next to my PC. I know her well enough to say that she'd react exactly like tjovonovich's mom. Saying something about the cost, and about dusting them.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-02-2002, 09:45 PM
My dad will always love ROJ because of the Ewoks. He thought Yoda was great in AOTC. My mom calls Yoda "green man." She also likes the many elaborate costumes of worn by Nataie Portman.

As for collecting, they're ok with it as long as it's my own money.

BillyJAck
07-03-2002, 12:47 AM
My parents think its a waste of money and that i should be getting real life and adventure and should have a girl i'm going to marry or bring home(never happen i never bring them home) my dad says he doesn't care about my collecting but he makes at least one crack a day like "you lil toys" or "your dolls" which ****es me off.....

billy

JediTricks
07-03-2002, 01:13 AM
My mom thought Ep 1 was putrid. However, she thinks Ep 2 was ok, lots of bad parts but some of the Star Wars magic that was lacking in Ep 1. She is pretty understanding of my fandom.

My dad thinks Ep 1 had a lot of crappy stuff in it, but was better than the sum of its parts and enjoyed it. However, he didn't enjoy it enough to bother seeing Ep 2 at all. He likes the classic trilogy way more than Ep 1 though, but doesn't have a total grasp on why I'm into the films as much as I am.

As for collecting, my mom is very supportive and my dad has little to say about it (nothing negative though) - when I was a kid, it was the other way around.

A friend of my mom's hated Ep 2 so much that he said he would have walked out if he hadn't been with other people who wanted to stay. She thought this was interesting enough to tell me about a few times. :D

DeadEye
07-03-2002, 08:43 AM
My dad is just as much a fan of star wars as I am. My mom refuses to see AOTC because she thinks it's as bad as TPM...:rolleyes:

My mom thinks my collecting is cute...sometimes my dad comes in and plays with my figures! He snatches my POTF2 AT-AT all the time...:eek:

hango fett
07-03-2002, 09:22 AM
my dad buys all the stuff! he got me started and my mom thinks we are crazy to be going to movies at midnight and getting all the figs on 4/23 at 6 in the morn...
hango

Obi-Don
07-03-2002, 10:24 AM
Mom likes it and my Dad could care less. It has been a very long time since I have lived with them. So as far as my collecting goes they really don't care.

El Chuxter
07-03-2002, 10:25 AM
My dad must've liked Star Wars when I was little, because I can remember him playing with the old Kenner figures with me. My mom sees it as silly.

Dad saw TPM and told me, "That was a pretty good movie, but what was going on with that orange duckman or horseman or whatever he was?"

They have yet to see AOTC. I get the impression Dad wants to see it, but Mom doesn't, and my parents have a marriage where the woman definitely wears the pants. I'll make 'em see it on DVD in a few months.

BillyJAck
07-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Everyone here has supportive parents i'm so jealous! Like i said my dad makes cracks....he even made one today about "my stupid lil star wars dolls" cause i acted made because my loose Commtech vader fell behind the desk. :( but he's a gambling addict on the computer so he should talk about OCD(obsessive complusive disorder)

master jedi
07-03-2002, 02:44 PM
My mother doesn't mind my star wars addiction. My dad, on the other hand, think I'm a complete geek and think I should sell my stuff on ebay.

billfremore
07-03-2002, 02:53 PM
My folks have been pretty supportive about my collection.
Although I seriously doubt they would be as supportive if I was still living at home.

My parents frequently gave me hard time about my various collections throughout the years, Comic books and such...

Jedi Juice
07-03-2002, 03:56 PM
Sure, you can live with me! We have always have an extra bedroom....

DeadEye
07-03-2002, 05:10 PM
I'm saying nothing about you, but from my own experience with other families, marriages in which the wife is in charge often lead to dysfunctional families! :D

Like I said...I'm not saying this about you. So don't take offense! :)

morecow299
07-05-2002, 10:44 AM
billyjack i understand
my dad thinks that they are a waste of money and time
my parents liked the movies but they aren't huge fans of them
it ****es me off too whenever my sister calls my figures barbie dolls
i wish i lived with some of you too!!!!

DarthBrandon
07-05-2002, 10:51 AM
My father when amongst the living hated me collecting, thought it was a waste of money he did. My mother on the other hand is a crafts maker and collector, so she doesn't mind it all. My sister will buy them for me from time to time, that's pretty cool I think.

Jonna
07-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I'm saying nothing about you, but from my own experience with other families, marriages in which the wife is in charge often lead to dysfunctional families! :D

Like I said...I'm not saying this about you. So don't take offense! :)

I don't know about the validity of that statement. Do you even know any non-dysfunctional families? I personally only know one and I am so disturbed when I am around them that it seems like this 'normal' Beaver Cleaver family is more dysfunctional because they are non-dysfunctional. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone. It is like when everything is so quiet and placid that you are just nerviously waiting for a bomb of some sort to drop.

My opinion: A Nut is a Nut.

InsaneJediGirl
07-05-2002, 07:24 PM
Well,My Mom and Dad tolerate it.The only thing my Mom has done for me to consider her a SW"Fan" was get the orginal movie poster back in 1977...but she threw it away a few years later!!:( :(:cry::cry:My Dad goes and sees all the movies with me:D

As for collecting,my parents dont mind because I suppose they think I could be doing worse things with my money(I.E.Drugs)The only complaint they have is me not keeping them mint in their plastic prisons

Mom:"They'll be worth something someday you know.What do you go and do though?Rip them off the cards..":rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LTBasker
07-05-2002, 07:51 PM
My parents are minor SW and ST fans while I'm the major one in the family, so they don't really get into the whole collecting thing, heck they can't even understand it. If I give them a list though they usually check for figures when they go to stores and stuff, or ask them to look for a certain figure and what it looks like.

'Course they collect NASCAR, so they're over in the toys anyways looking for Winner's Circle stuff. :D

DeadEye
07-05-2002, 07:52 PM
"Come on, Andrew, let's all get some toys!"

:D

187-Maul
07-06-2002, 08:50 AM
that's somewhat the same as my mother often says to me, IJG
"now what are you going to do with them in 5-10 years? then you have to sell them for 50 cents each at a fleamarket"

mylow thehutt
07-06-2002, 04:54 PM
well my mom doesn't really care,and my dad he some what likes it,but my friend hates it.Every time I'm on the internet he tells me how dum I am and that stuff for babys.but every one else is cool with it.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-07-2002, 12:08 AM
My dad has little or no interest in Star Wars. He is a Western movie kind of guy. I am not even sure if he has seen Ep1.

My mom is a casual Star Wars fan. To my knowledge she has seen all the movies 'cept Episode II. She'll ask the usual questions about "Who's his father again" and "What planet is that?" But the part I like the most about momsy is that she'll help me in my figure hunting. If she stops at Wal-Mart or some other store she'll check the Toy aisle for the figures I am looking for. She'll call me on her cell phone and say "Honey, which figure are you looking for again . . . They have this and that figure." She'll buy them for me and not even ask for me to pay for it. Of course I always insist but she insists too.

The only thing that she hates is the pile of open boxes of Star Wars toys I have accumulated in the basement. She always asks me when I am going to throw them out and I tell her not anytime soon. I don't know why I even keep them but I do.

Darth Nitwit
07-10-2002, 10:48 PM
My parents don't really care, as they don't really notice.

QLD
07-11-2002, 06:07 AM
Well, before my mother passed away a few years ago, she wasn't a big fan really. She liked the movies, but that was about it. I don't think she ever watched them again. I wasn't collectin SW figures at the time. I have talked to my dad once in ten years, at my mom's funeral, and we said about 10 words to each other. So who knows WHAT he thinks, not that I would care. My grandfather took me to see ESB and ROTJ. I doubt he likes them, but he just liked making me happy, and would take me and my brother to the theatre to watch the movies frequently, especially when they replayed them during the summer.

Darth Nitwit
07-11-2002, 04:08 PM
I think that my parents just assume that I will grow out of it soon. I guess that is because I am 15. I hope I don't EVER.

Dar' Argol
07-11-2002, 04:33 PM
While my dad was still alive he thought it was cool:D. My mom on the otherhand thinks its silly. Everytime my wife and I have moved she always said, "You know, if you got rid of these toys, that would be 1 less thing to pack." Of course I snap back, "If you didn't get rid of all my old ones years ago I would have more to pack:D".

My sister thinks its cool though. I don't have a very large collection, but its the largest she's ever seen. She thinks its cool and freaky:D at the same time that I will never grow up:D

robman71
07-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Since my Dad took me to see all three of the OT when they came out, bought me lots of vintage action figures and vehicles (of course they were new then, and no I don't have any of that stuff left "sigh"), I would say that he handles my collecting pretty well. (As long as I don't ask him for a lone to buy a 12-back).