PDA

View Full Version : Starwars collecting becoming a drag!

Turbowars
07-02-2002, 10:54 PM
It has come to my attention that collecting has become a drag. There's nothing out there and when there is, some scalpers buys up all the cases. E-bay is too $$$$ and everyone is out to make a buck. I have stopped collecting errors on e-bay and will only buy from what I find in the stores, which is a big fat ZERO!!!!!

TenchiOAV
07-02-2002, 11:11 PM
Yeah,I have to agree with you as well.I've never shopped from
e-bay plus I don't trust how other people just buy up figures and then sell them on e-bay and another thing has anyone else seen how hard it is to get any POFT2 or Episode I figures?

Darth Narcis
07-02-2002, 11:20 PM
well if you are lucky, as i usually am, then collecting is fun... you have to be patient too... you may find something good in a store soon enough....

figrin bran
07-03-2002, 12:43 AM
but how is all that different from last year? and the year before that? and before that?

take time to enjoy what you have already instead of what you haven't found yet. blah, blah...happy hunting everyone!

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-03-2002, 04:18 AM
It only feels like a drag if scalpers are one step ahead of me.

Rogue II
07-03-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
It has come to my attention that collecting has become a drag. There's nothing out there and when there is, some scalpers buys up all the cases. E-bay is too $$$$ and everyone is out to make a buck. I have stopped collecting errors on e-bay and will only buy from what I find in the stores, which is a big fat ZERO!!!!!

You think its a drag? Think how bored I am. I only collect Classic trilogy figures and don't care about variations/errors. I'm trying to be patient. I'm still waiting to find Chewbacca.

I'm so bored, I've been thinking about getting a Jango Fett and repainting him as Boba Fett from ESB. I have picked up a few loose figures from E-Bay for real cheap and have started customizing a little. And for the record, the POTF2 R5-D4 looks much better after you cut his guns off and glue him shut.

Forhekset
07-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by TenchiOAV
Yeah,I have to agree with you as well.I've never shopped from
e-bay plus I don't trust how other people just buy up figures and then sell them on e-bay and another thing has anyone else seen how hard it is to get any POFT2 or Episode I figures?

It isn't hard to get POTF2 or EP1 figures...just ask around on the trading or buying/selling forums. I've filled a crapload of holes in my POTF2 collection by trading with people here, and buying from a couple. If you're a carded collector it's a little harder, but you can still find a lot of good deals on the forums here. Maybe you meant it's just hard to get POTF2 or EP1 on eBay, but eBay sucks 99% of the time. If you need anything, ask your fellow collectors first.

OriginalBryGuy
07-03-2002, 09:29 AM

Collecting can be as big or small of a hobby as you can get. E-bay isn't expensive, it just depends on what you want, and how many other people out there want it.

E-bay is always going to be there, whether collectors like it or not. As a collector, I like the fact that if I really want something, I know I'll be able to find it there.

Stores are always going to have spotty shelf time for figures. The line from assembly to your store shelf is so complex, that it's nearly impossible to know when or where something is going to show up.

If you collect, collect for fun, never for profit, and you'll always be happy.

hango fett
07-03-2002, 09:34 AM
not really a drag for me, just depressing....
hango

Jonna
07-03-2002, 09:39 AM
I don't find it to be a drag. It's just that it is becoming more and more annoying to run around in this summer heat looking for figures. I'm not leaving my house for the rest of the summer. I just hope work doesn't notice.

Jason B
07-03-2002, 09:50 AM
It isn't nessusairaly<sp> a drag, it just gets depressing, and frustrating, having to go in a whole bunch of stores just to find the figs that you want. I wish Hasbro would smarten up, and fix the case assortments. The figures just aren't selling. It would be fine if they were, but they're not. Retailers aren't going to buy new cases of thesame figures that are sitting on the pegs, just to get a few new ones. :mad: :frus:

Obi-Don
07-03-2002, 10:06 AM
It does get depressing when nothing new shows up. Thats one of the biggest down falls of collecting. Sometimes no matter how hard you hunt you come up with nothing. But what keeps me going is my love of Star Wars and those times when I do find the figure I'm looking for.

SNAYSON
07-03-2002, 10:49 AM
i have friends who help me find stuff. I don't do the "running around" deal to find my figures. I will look whenever i get the chance but i also rely on my frinds and family when they go out shopping to go and quickly check on the star wars figures for me. I'm not sure if Jonna agrees with me, but around the NY/NJ area, i don't seem to think it's hard finding most of the figures and vehicles. There are a few notables (tie bomber and snow speeder) but for the most part, collecting is not a drag if you can find them. I don't want to know what it feels like not being able to find the figures you guys are trying to find.

good luck in your hunt! hope all you people having a hard time getting/finding figures get the figures you want! (preferrable not from way overpriced scalpers/dealers)

aikman
07-03-2002, 01:31 PM
Its always been like this really.
You need to be lucky to get stuff sometimes.
I hit different stores 2 times a week and usually end up with nothing.
Got palp/phur/han on saturday though.

Long gone are the days when you could march into any toy store and get any toy you wanted.

Jedi Drew
07-03-2002, 01:45 PM
One week it may be a drag if you don't find anything new. Then the next week you may hit a gold mine. It's almost like in sales-one day you rock and sell a ton of product then the next day you can't give it away. Just go with the flow......

anarky
07-03-2002, 02:01 PM
i've quit collecting several times since i couldn't find anything--then i find something new and am sucked right back in

i have yet to find most of the 2000 e1 figures, masters of the dark side, jorg sacul, mmc han and chewie, and a few others for a price i'm willing to pay--but i don't care anymore--well, not that i don't care, but i don't let it bother me--the market will drop at some point, and i'll get them all at cut-rate deals from scalpers who couldn't sell them for grossly inflated prices

Jonna
07-03-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by SNAYSON
I'm not sure if Jonna agrees with me, but around the NY/NJ area, i don't seem to think it's hard finding most of the figures and vehicles.

Well, Ya! Eventually most everything comes around. I'm still obsessive and go out hunting though cuz it's fun, but there are, however, some figures that I have just never seen in stores.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-03-2002, 02:48 PM
If it gets to be a drag then just quit. Collecting the figures and such should be a fun thing. When ever I get into the rut, I just stop going to Target and Co. specifically to look for figures. Then after a while it becomes fun again because I haven't concentrated on it.

Maybe you should just take a break for at least 1-2 weeks and see if you get rejuvenated again. Take a vacation from your figure hunting.

Lt Kettch
07-03-2002, 03:05 PM
The reason it is a drag for me, is that I use eBay as a market for POTF2 and EP1 figures that i missed. But it seems that because of Episode 2 has driven casual people to start buying stuff up. The prices on eBay have BALLOONED because of the new movie people just want Star Wars stuff, because for the casual buyer it is what is "cool" this week. This depresses me because i was outbid by someone on a Mas Amedda the other day and it was by someone who had never bought a figure before, I rarely find things in stores, and scalpers are becoming an increasing problem in my area. I wish there was some solution, but i fear there is not.

Beast
07-03-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Lt Kettch
The reason it is a drag for me, is that I use eBay as a market for POTF2 and EP1 figures that i missed. But it seems that because of Episode 2 has driven casual people to start buying stuff up. The prices on eBay have BALLOONED because of the new movie people just want Star Wars stuff, because for the casual buyer it is what is "cool" this week. This depresses me because i was outbid by someone on a Mas Amedda the other day and it was by someone who had never bought a figure before, I rarely find things in stores, and scalpers are becoming an increasing problem in my area. I wish there was some solution, but i fear there is not.
Some of the POTF2 figures and E1 figures have always been popular on Ebay. And E2 did bring alot of new people into the hobby. But that's a good thing, it will keep the line selling after the movies are done with. I rather doubt that this person who outbid you on a Mas Amedda had never bought a figure before. He saw Mas Amedda in E2, and wanted a figure of him. So he bought one on Ebay, since the POTJ Mas Amedda is no longer avaliable on the primary market. And there is a solution, order your figures on-line at stores like Kebco, Yestertoys, etc. The couple extra bucks you pay, saves you the frustration and gas money, of not finding anything during a toy run. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Juice
07-03-2002, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I recently found a collector on a forum who sold three EP1 figs that I needed for their original retail cost in the store. One of the figs was the swimming Jar Jar, which at times can sell for about $40 on ebay! Just post threads on the selling/trading forums and collectors will be willing to help out each other.

Also, whenever I seaarch for figures, if I can't find something the whole week, I take a break for a few days, then resume searching. Sometimes one finds their needs when they aren't even trying. Anyway, best of luck to everyone.

JangoFart
07-03-2002, 03:49 PM
I agree with JarJar and OriginalBryGuy.

Of course it can be frustrating. Name something that is not, on occasion, frustrating or stress-inducing. However, either enjoy "the hunt" (regardless of the catch), buy online from eBay or Kebco, Jam's, Kebco, etc., or stop the hobby.

As for those who say eBay is terrible 99% of the time, that comment speaks for itself and doesn't require much in the way of a reply. (Popping in my brain: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Fool me 99% of the time......)

eBay is a fantastic resource for us collectors. If the price is too high for you, hmmm, DON'T BID ON IT! I have acquired tons of figures from various sellers on eBay and have only a couple of sellers who I would not buy from. There are, on the other hand, sellers from whom I would buy just as quick as if I were in the store and looking at pegs-full of the same figure trying to find the best one.

My eBay advice: READ THE AUCTION WELL!! If the auction does not SPECIFICALLY STATE what condition the card AND bubble are in, send the seller an email and ask them. Some sellers state that the figure is "MOC" - which, I have come to learn, can mean that the card and bubble may look like a 500lb gorilla danced on them, but the FIGURE ITSELF is still MOC "Mint On Card". In other words, keep an eye out for semantecs in descriptions and ask any questions you have before you bid. If not, it's caveat emptor.

J

Forhekset
07-03-2002, 04:29 PM
All I gotta say about eBay is this: I recently bought quite a few POTF2 items from a few different collectors on the forums here, and got some really sweet deals all around. A few examples - Admiral Motti MOMC - $7. A quick check of eBay shows that there are only two Motti auctions going for less than $7 right now, and they have between 3-5 days left, so they're sure to go up a bit by the time they end. The rest of the auctions are all above $7, many above $10. Also bought a Dark Trooper MOMC from a collector here for $8. Try snagging one for 8 bucks on eBay. Personally I'd always ask around the forums before resorting to eBay, if you can't find the figures you want in stores.

I mean face it, eBay is a big virtual flea market, and most of the people who buy crap on eBay have money to burn, and not a heck of a lot of common sense. Sellers are aware of that fact. Most sellers are out to make a dollar, not give you a great deal. That's why you have bloody Lukes going for $30 instead of sellers offering "Buy It Nows" of $5.99 or however much they paid at retail. I personally traded away 4 bloody Lukes on the forums here 1:1 for POTJ figures I needed. If you think you'll find a deal comparable to that on eBay, good luck.

Nebulaz
07-03-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
It only feels like a drag if scalpers are one step ahead of me.

and they usually are, they are sneaking bastards

thespar
07-08-2002, 10:30 PM
That is the reason i only go hunting about once a month that way i am bound to find at least one piece i am missing.

Nebulaz
07-08-2002, 10:39 PM
Once a month? I'm out everyday usually, just browsing as I do my regular shopping.

Wooooof
07-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Going to college and living out in the country make it nearly impossible for me to go figure shopping more than once or twice a month. Thus I no longer stress over not being able to find a certain figure. What I can't find at retail I can usually get from my collectors club. (That's how I ended up with a CC Chewie already :cool: )

Like some wise person said in one of the early comments of this thread: don't stress out over what you can't find, just take this time to appreciate the stuff you have found already.:)

jdmarlow
07-08-2002, 11:55 PM
I try to get out around 3-4 times a week. I make my way to my local TRU on my way home from School or Work (summer job). I have found most of what I'm looking for just by showing up or catching the Hasbro guys and asking when they'll be back with more. This Wednesday @ 11:00 AM (Toys "R" Us 14th Street Union Square in NYC).

Bent Wookie
07-08-2002, 11:57 PM
Actually I think ebay has gotten a lot easier to find a good deal in the past year. Ever since Sept. 11, there's a whole new attitude that's only just now starting to back to "normal." I've seen lots of "rare" items going for lower than their price about a year ago...

Now brand new items...that's always going to be out of hand. (But still not as crazy as before last year! ) Some of these people bidding on that new figure have a lot of money to burn, so it's nothing for them to drop a $50 or so on something they want right then. That's sometimes why it seems like the figure is going for outrageous prices.

Just my take--if you're not having fun, start pre-ordering. You may be losing that "thrill of the hunt" but at least you're getting the figures. There are lots of places online that can help. :) And don't forget to check the trading boards too...

jdmarlow
07-09-2002, 12:02 AM
I only like ebay for picking up the oldies. For me oldies is really 1995 (since I was only born in '86). But if I'm looking for an old green card variation I never picked up, ebay is the place for me. I'm glad it is there when I need it. Either wise, I just don't use it.

Nebulaz
07-09-2002, 03:19 AM
Knowing that we'll never complete your whole collection, it does become a drag, but its fun when you find an item you dont have.

Turbowars
07-09-2002, 05:41 PM
Oh, I will complete my collection.

Nebulaz
07-10-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
Oh, I will complete my collection.

Can you still collect after death as well?

Turbowars
07-10-2002, 05:33 PM
Man there's a lot of smart @sses on these forums( Me being one of the biggest) I don't have to worry about that, because I'm going to live forever.;)

jdmarlow
07-10-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm with Nebulaz,

however, I care and I don't care at the same time. I collect as much as I can and I love what I have. I like having something to look for at all times. When there is nothing to get, then it becomes boring.

Jedi_Rainman
07-10-2002, 11:20 PM
The VHTF Dooku that was very rare in now plentiful here in the eastern USA. Case after case is loaded with Dooku. I am glad I waited.

Darth Nitwit
07-10-2002, 11:28 PM
I don't understand. I love Star Wars figures. It's like a game to get them all. Maybe it is just me.

Nebulaz
07-11-2002, 12:27 AM
It is a game. Hasbro will always be leading, but when you find that rare character early on, Its an immediate victory.

Jango Mango
07-11-2002, 01:55 AM
I only buy the ones that look interesting or of a favorite character
I dont plan on getting them all just the most popular ones. :evil:

Nebulaz
07-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Sometimes the most popular ones are the coolest ones, and sometimes they are the lamest. Like the Jedi from EPII, they're everywhere, but they are freakin' cool.

jdmarlow
07-11-2002, 06:59 PM
It certainly IS a game. You don't HAVE to play if you don't want to. But we all choose to play. So we should all find the way to have the most fun. Isn't that the point of all this?

Thunderbird
07-12-2002, 12:42 AM
I kinda know what you mean when you can't find what you're looking for in the stores. I use to look everyday at at lease 2-3 stores (w/ alot of luck). Between the POTF2 and POTJ it took months for anything to show up. Thats when I started looking alot less. Now I only look on weekends and maybe once durning the week. I helps to have friends looking for the same stuff you are. They have been a big help buy picking up new stuff for me or tips on were I might find it. Ebay is a good place to find the older things you may have missed. I for some reason missed the Carbonite playset, but managed to pick it up sealed in the original shipping box for $17.00! after shipping it was less than through the fan club. Woo-Hoo!

jdmarlow
07-12-2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Thunderbird
I for some reason missed the Carbonite playset, but managed to pick it up sealed in the original shipping box for $17.00! after shipping it was less than through the fan club. Woo-Hoo!

Very nice pickup!

aikman
07-12-2002, 10:48 AM
Collecting is fun but does turn into a chore at times.

I shop every weekend and the odd weekday. Ive been pretty successful, but every now and again some figs you just cant find,
which is very disheartening.

Although, nothing is worse than the major dry spells. Things are good for a while but every so often months may pass without seeing anything new (at retail at least).

Thats when it gets bad. Someone suggested to stop looking for a month when you get disheartened. Sure thats a solution , but if you arent in the stores, those figs that you would have found before now get scooped up by others.
Thus making it harder on you and possibly missing out on entire waves...

however, I care and I don't care at the same time. I collect as much as I can and I love what I have. I like having something to look for at all times. When there is nothing to get, then it becomes boring.

Jayspawn
07-12-2002, 10:51 AM
Collecting is still fun for me as well. Very seldom for me is it boring.

"Patience, use the force." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

billfremore
07-12-2002, 11:04 AM
I find I'm more fanatical about collecting now that I was 3 years ago.

Fortunately for me the network of collectors in my area keep me informed to the latest stuff. So I actuall find collecting not nearly as frustrating as before.

jdmarlow
07-12-2002, 02:11 PM
It is important to associate yourself with a network of guys/gals who do the same thing. When you are solo it becomes difficult. Plus you have more fun when hunting in groups.

Jonna
07-12-2002, 02:16 PM
I always work alone. People tend to only be able to take me in small doses, which is the same way that I feel about most people. I'm kind of like the burgers at Nation Burger.

Nebulaz
07-13-2002, 01:02 PM
I agree with everyone above. You have to be patient, b/c sometimes it does drag on for a while. You just have to sit and wait. Then the good stuff eventually pops up.

Turbowars
07-13-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
I always work alone. People tend to only be able to take me in small doses, which is the same way that I feel about most people. I'm kind of like the burgers at Nation Burger. So you compare yourself to a Burger? We don't have Nations here in Burbank CA, but they must be filling;)

jdmarlow
07-13-2002, 05:50 PM
So who here would collect in groups? (at least some of the time - not always)

Jedi_Bates
07-13-2002, 05:58 PM
Yeah i guess your, right but in someways its sort of fun (kinda like a game) and when you do find the populare and rare figures it makes you feel good about yourself. Ex: The other day my dad had to stop by k mart and as always i strolled down to the star wars aisle and didnt see anything much, well so i thougt and i got to the last peg thinking there was nothing but a bunch of commons when the last fig on the peg was a Dooku and it happened to be the first dooku i ever found.

Turbowars
07-13-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by jdmarlow
So who here would collect in groups? (at least some of the time - not always) I currently collect in a group and I not only do I great the new figures LIGHTNING fast, but I have meet some great friends in the process. When I started in 95 it seemed that I was the only guy collecting and all the other collectors were against me. Well I guess they really were against me. Hey JD my list of carded figures is at 874 including errors and variations. I also collect window boxed ships. Have you guys seen the new star fighter?

jdmarlow
07-13-2002, 10:17 PM
turbo,

are you kidding? 874? That is craziness! I'm at a sub-par 658. lol. I guess all of those errors REALLY add up.

Herby
07-15-2002, 10:08 AM
I had lost interest in my collection once I had opened my midnight madness purchases (since I found all the figures). It just took so long for the next waves to hit I wasn't bothering going on toy runs. Now I'm back in, only missing ObiWan/Chewy and the newest wave. I have never quit, although I came really close to stopping at EP1...but my wife convinced me not to since she knew I'd eventually want them and have to turn to ebay. She's pretty smart that way (and saved us money, since I would have eventually wanted the figures!).

billfremore
07-15-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Jonna
I always work alone. People tend to only be able to take me in small doses, which is the same way that I feel about most people. I'm kind of like the burgers at Nation Burger.

Actually I find if I don't hear from you at least once a day I start to go into withdrawal.

Oh my god here come the DT's again....:p;)

Jonna
07-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Ya, sorry I'm late this morning. I was in trying to sleep through these REALLY boring meetings at work. What is a DT? That wouldn't stand for Diptheria, would it!?! Cuz ya know I love Diptheria! Just joking (detox).

billfremore
07-15-2002, 10:56 AM
Ahh, thanks man.

I feel better now.:D