PDA

View Full Version : Bryan's big secret to finding the figures you want!

OriginalBryGuy
07-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Everyone on this forum seems to be in the same boat I was a few years ago.

We're collectors at heart, trying to make our way in the universe. All we want is to go into a store and see the figure we want hanging on the rack! But, the problem is we do this alone. We drive out of our way to destinations far and wide looking for figures that may or may not be there.

Some of us hate E-bay while others are willing to pay a premium to get the figures we want. The question everyone asks....is there a better way?

The answer is "yes" and many of you have already been doing it for years - get friends to help.

Be it forum, be it friend, find someone who's just as nuts about collecting star wars as you. You'd be suprised to find out how many fans are located next door. Chances are good the reason you don't find figures is because some of these people next door are competing against you! Don't compete, help eachother and your chances of finding figures increase tenfold!

I had a friend who missed the Jango Fett Preview wave and was bumming cause he wanted one. I said, well, I'm having a hell of a time finding a Dooku. Look for me and I'll look for you.

Within a week we had found the figures for eachother.

I also have a rockin' girlfriend who now knows Star Wars backwards and forwards to the point where she can even pinpoint figures for me if she's out. Not only that this girl lives with her cell phone so she always calls me if they have something I'm looking for. Damn I love that woman!

So my advice...band together with collectors in your area (or get yourself a kick *** girlfriend) - not only will you find the figures you want, but might also find out who the scalpers are in your town! If you really need a figure and don't like E-bay shop around. Eventually you'll find someone selling the figure you want at the price you want.

It's just that simple!

Never give up! Never surrender! Happy Hunting!

cptpinkerton
07-03-2002, 10:52 AM
if only my girlfriend were so 'rockin.'

'luke, this is your hobby, you just do it.'

Jedi Drew
07-03-2002, 02:23 PM
Yea, It does help when you have a "Network" of other collectors, friends, and family to help you out when hunting. Example 1: My wife. All you have to do is give her a list of what figures you need and when she is out and about she will look for them. Example 2: Fellow collectors like JEDIpartnr. We both have helped each other out finding figures, beasts ect. Example 3: Another collector Jim who I met because he was the owner of one of the accounts I use to sell to-we were always on the look out for each other. Example 4: Friend of the family. I met Kevin at a family party and he overheard me talking about AOTC with my cousin about a month before the movie came out. He came up to us and asked me if I collect SW figures. I said "YEP." He said so do I. Since then we have picked up stuff for each other. It is weird because you really don't know who collects SW or who doesn't. Well HH and everyone have a good 4th of July.:D :D :D

Jedi Juice
07-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Cool. My grandmother usually helps look for Star Wars figures, if she goes shopping or really wherever she goes, she tries to help. It's nice to have people out there who help each other to achieve their goals, such as a family member.

conli olper
07-03-2002, 06:07 PM
hmmm, yeah but what if your a loser with no friends. your plan is flawed!

Jedi Juice
07-03-2002, 07:07 PM
Well that sucks for you....

conli olper
07-04-2002, 07:46 AM
nah, that was just a hypothetical to prove that his plan is ultimately flawed lol. i actually do have friends, and they arent even my grandmother! no offense but i find the fact that you go figure hunting with your grandmother a tad disturbing *shudder*.

Jedi Drew
07-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Yea-to go figure shopping with your Grandmother is pretty scarry. But, I'm sure there are other collectors living in your area that could help you out. If not people on these forums can give you a hand. I met JEDIpartnr on these forums and we have helped each other out alot. HH and have a happy and safe 4th.:D :D

Jedi Juice
07-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Well, shopping with my grandmother really isn't scary or disturbing, since most of the time she pays for the figures...... but that's not why I go shopping with her. We have a good relationship that most other grandchildren do not have with their grandparents. I am just fortunate that I have a cool grandmother.

Alrighty, have a Happy 4th!

Darth Detori
07-04-2002, 09:35 PM
oh yeah, I already do this. If I find something new and rare, i'll get two of it and sell it to someone here or on the rebelscum forums for whatever I paid for it (plus shipping of course). I consider it anti-scalping. keeps them out of scalpers hands and into those of collectors.

hango fett
07-05-2002, 09:44 AM
i know for a fact that me and my dad have the biggest collection in our town of a couple thousand.....no one likes it but us and a few other people who make fun of it but like it somewhat...

OriginalBryGuy
07-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Hango,

Well, if you flaunt it you might get made fun of. Always remember, there's always some out there with a bigger colleciton. haha

jdmarlow
07-09-2002, 05:00 PM
I once had created a network of 5 guys (myself included) that I would hunt with every sunday for two hours. We did every possible store in Manhattan between Union Square and 86th Street. We would everything we need and had a great time doing it. This was when EP1 came out in 1999. Since then, the group has gone their separate ways. It's nice to have people helping you out though. That is what forums are for, among other things.

Darth forb1us
07-09-2002, 06:02 PM
Yes, this is a very good idea.
There is 5 in my sort-of-circle.
my girlfriend, if she is out alone, will look (if shes at a store selling them), if shes with me, we hunt the pegs together, then her sister's boyfriend who's a crazed collector like myself, so naturally we become friends and while I hunt in pittsburgh, he hunts in lansing (michigan), him and my g/f's sister (his boyfriend) look for themselves and me, and I do the same :)
really works out well.
I've yet to get the unleashed maul and jango, but he found them, and has a couple waiting for me (along with han solo woot) when I come up there for the next comic-con :)