PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Photos of Anniversary Luke with Landspeeder

icatch9
07-03-2002, 02:21 PM
I don't know why I'm the first one to find this but check out these detailed photos of the new landspeeder with Luke. Looks to me that the speeder is almost the same, but a longer hood area. Looks like the same Luke as the PBP. It still looks cool even for a re-paint.

Lord Tenebrous
07-03-2002, 02:26 PM
It's not a repaint, but it has some familiar pieces. Nice set, decent Luke:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10700

anarky
07-03-2002, 02:28 PM
not horrible, but it's still a boring piece--boring vehicles don't need to be resculpted--i want a tie fighter!

LTBasker
07-03-2002, 02:30 PM
I think it's quite cool. :cool: Can't wait to get it actually, I enjoy the '95 Landspeeder, I know I'll like this one, especially since it's got a gun rack which I can then paint one green and put another rifle on there.

icatch9
07-03-2002, 02:37 PM
another

icatch9
07-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Guess I wasn't the first to spot them. Oh well, I think these are a few different ones. I'm sure it'll get merged anyway.

Beast
07-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by anarky
not horrible, but it's still a boring piece--boring vehicles don't need to be resculpted--i want a tie fighter!
Hardly boring at all, it's one of the most importmant ships in ANH. Without it the whole journey to Alderaan would never have happened. :)

Oh, and there is rumblings at Hasbro about them wanting to do a new version of the TIE Fighter soon. But since ships don't sell all that welll, it will likely turn out to be an exclusive, if done. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

icatch9
07-03-2002, 02:42 PM
another

MikeAndTheBots
07-03-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
another
Damn, still no proper spot for the droids...

icatch9
07-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Yea, I just thoght of that too. Still in the movie they were just sort of thrown of the back, so the same should work for this. A little two sided tape to make sure they sit still :)

Jonna
07-03-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by anarky

I agree with Anarky. If they want to resculpt something, then do the Tie-fighter.

Jargo
07-03-2002, 02:55 PM
I went into why i like this in the other thread but I think it's worth reiterating here that i think this is one of the best vehicles hasbro ever did. Seriously, I'm moist with excitement at the prospect of getting this vehicle. I haven't felt this giddy since I got my first bite of the cherry back when I was fifteen. I know it's sad and pathetic to enthuse so much over a re-issue but they changed it so much that it becomes a new vehicle to me. In the same way the x-wing fighter and electronic fx x-wing fighter were completely different. This is the same kind of improvement and much needed after 25 years with the old mold. Thanks whoever it was at hasbro did the work. I love it. :)

( was that a little too brown nosed? I just want to flatter them enough that they start liking me enough to listen to the Yarna petition :stupid: )

Love you Hasbro guys! You're grrrrrrrreat!!! :D

Yar Cydoh
07-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Looks like a cool vehicle. What's the price on it?

Beast
07-03-2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Yar Cydoh
Looks like a cool vehicle. What's the price on it?
Check the other thread, it's a TRU exclusive and retails for $19.99. You can pre-order it now from Amazon.com. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Evil
07-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Mmm, I like the look of it. Which means I'll probably never see it... :(

Jargo
07-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Darth, it's a TRU exclusive which means all the online stores and all the comic stores will have it in. Nothing is ever really exclusive exept to those who have it not. :happy:

yeah the comic stores should be starting to advertise this soon and some of the local-to-us-Brits online stores are preparing to take pre-orders for this and the 25th anniversary x-wing too. The price to us Brits will be about 16.99 for the landspeeder and I reckon the x-wing will be about 30.00 - 35.00 but hopefully a lot cheaper. depends where ya go looking for one as to the price.

Jargo
08-07-2002, 07:19 AM
Well, I got my landspeeder this morning. Love it! It's a completely new sculpt, the detail is fantastic. For those who moaned about the floating thing meaning that it sinks when you put figures into it, the springs are stronger so it doesn't sink as badly as the old version. The Luke that packs with it doesn't go into it because of the molded tunic bottom with the hard boxy lump on the back but I'm sure that at least one of the Luke figures will fit.
It just looks right. Comparing the two versions, the old one looks like a homemade effort with absolutely no detail and all the wrong proportions. Forget the paint deco for a second (which is great BTW) and just look at the over all shape. Adding in the side vents between the cockpit and the engines is brilliant. The grilles along the side are thinner and longer, there's no stupid big button sticking out the front anymore, the hood details have replaced the crappy spring opening hood cover, The seats are lower and angled instead of straight up and too high so when you look at it from the front you see cockpit bubble and the center engine not a big lump of badly sculpted grey plastic seat.
The mechanism that allows you to drop or raise the wheels is still a little too clumpy and cumbersome and gets in the way of the figures arms but it's miles better than the old version.
The cockpit floor is molded like steel plating, there are display panels on the dashboard and finally Luke has a steering column so he can turn the thing. The steering column is fixed in position but so what? It just looks good and accurate.
The engines are well sculpted with close attention to authenticity. The one without it's coweling is comrised of the basic molded shape with wires and struts and then there's a second piece glued over the top that has more cables and wires giving a nice layered look that feels more authentic.
At the rear they added the two vented engine pieces missing from the old version and the detailing again is cool.
The paint deco is well done and very subtle, nicely dirtied down but not overdone like the X-wing. I could probably have done without so many silver flecks but they aren't terribly intrusive in the whole scheme.

The Luke figure is nicely made but then we've seen him before anyway. I'd forgotten that this version of Luke has a bendy neck so he can look down. It's not a great amount of movement but enough to make a difference.

The only thing missing from this pack that would have put it into orbit is the engine coweling cover that is behind the seats in the movie. Being able to 'restore' the engine would have been a nice added feature.
And Luke's poncho, floppy hat and Macrobinoculars. But adding those would have made this thing too good if that's possible.

IMO this is the best vehicle of the year if not tha last few years as far as accuracy and detail goes. It makes the AOTC speeders seem like amatuer creations in comparison. I highly reccomend that you pick up this vehicle and open it and sit down and play.
I felt like a kid again this morning for the first time in all of my collecting yearsas an adult. A fantastic feeling that I wish more of these toys induced.

Congrats to Hasbro on this, I may b*tch at you mercilessly but today i have nothing but praise. thank you for this fantastic product. :)

TheFrankEinstein
08-07-2002, 08:25 AM
What's the so-called "floating feature"? (I've never had a landspeeder... or any vehicles, for that matter) is it just lame transparent wheels?

hango fett
08-07-2002, 08:29 AM
looks pretty cool! can't wait to get it!
h.

JEDIpartner
08-07-2002, 09:07 AM
I passed on the X-Wing because it WAS shoddy goods... so I will probably go for this one! Thanks for the glowing review, Jargo!

Rogue II
08-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Emperor Jargo, can R2 and C-3PO fit on the back?

The pictures look amazing and EJ's review makes me want it more. I can't wait to pick one up.

I am solving the Tatooine Luke issue. I picked up a EP1 Tatooine Accessory pack($1.50 in a clearance bin) that has a poncho in it and put it on the Luke that came with the binoculars and floppy hat. I also found a Naboo Accessory pack and put the Jedi Robe on a Ben Kenobi. They are both sitting in my POTF2 Landspeeder waiting for their new ride.

I am passing on the X-Wing because I don't want to spend $40 and I don't have anywhere to put it. I saw it at TRU this weekend. I wasn't fond of the way they packaged it.

Beast
08-07-2002, 12:14 PM
Cool Jargo, I picked up the X-Wing the other day at TRU, and can't wait for the Landspeeder. Since you love it so much, then it really must be great. Is this another case of the pictures not doing the toy justice?

Sad to hear that the Luke doesn't fit that great in the cockpit. Maybe they should have used the softer rubbery plastic for his tunic bottem then. Like you said though, they should have included his poncho, since that is the only version of Luke: Tatooine they still need to make.

Actually, with as many Luke's as we have had, it would have been nice to see them pack in a Obi-Wan w/ Soft Goods lower robes so that he could sit in the cockpit. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
08-07-2002, 09:34 PM
Rogue II, the Luke that packs with the speeder is essentially the flashback version that originally packed with the hat and gun. He won't fit because the gap under the steering column is really tight. A soft goods Tunic would have worked better. The best solution if you actually want one to fit is to take an old Luke and cut off the back of the tunic bottom. leave the front intact for show but take off the back and his bum should fit right then. The seats are curved and angled back so he can sit slumped and low in the cockpit. Sadly none of the C-3PO's fit due to their stiffness and wide leg stances. The one detail they got wrong is the ability for 3PO to get his legs behind the seats and ride along sitting up. but since the toys don't have knees it really doesn't matter because both R2 and 3PO can fit on the back. leastways, a heck of a lot better than they could on the old version.

TheFrankEinstein, The floating feature is spring loaded wheels. The gear lever in the center of the cockpit allows you to raise or lower the clear plastic wheels depending on your taste. But when lowered they have a great suspension quality that makes the speeder 'float' when rolling along. The vintage one and the POTF one both had it but this new one has a better stronger suspension.

Here's a comparison shot of the cockpit. It's a bit rough but my camera is old and cheap. I'll try to get a good shot of the two speederrs side by side in the daylight tomorrow. The difference is amazing. They even put dent detail on the underside and subtle paint deco too.

It's also really solidly built and doesn't feel flimsy like the vintage mold versions. Heavier too.

Hellboy
08-07-2002, 09:50 PM
I wonder how many people like myself had broken the gear lever on the original Landspeeder when they were kids? I had 2 speeders and my friend had 1 and all 3 eventually ended up with broken levers. :)

haggis
08-07-2002, 11:01 PM
The Landspeeder is showing up at TRU in Canada. Naturally, we haven't seen the X-wing exclusive yet! Looks pretty sweet. Fond memories of my long-gone vintage Landspeeder come rushing back. Can't pop the hood on this one, can you?