PDA

View Full Version : Do you expect more from Episode II than you did from Episode I?

SirSteve
10-04-2001, 04:57 PM
Do you expect more from Episode II than you did from Episode I?

Poll suggested by Jedi Clint.

Let's discuss why you choose what you did!

Rollo Tomassi
10-04-2001, 07:05 PM
I expected a lot from Episode 1 and it was okay, but it didn't deliver all I wanted, but I figured G. Lu had two more chances with Episodes II and III to get us to Episode IV. If he screws this one up I'll REALLY expect a lot from III....

bigbarada
10-04-2001, 07:06 PM
I picked 'same.' I think GL's inspiration burned out before ROTJ and he's just 'going through the motions' with the prequels. More specifically: formulaic plots and a film that seems to be more interested in supporting a cool toy line than telling a compelling story.

Starfig873
10-04-2001, 07:45 PM
Theres just some sort of feeling I'm getting when I see Ep.II photos. A feeling that I didn't get when I saw Episode I photos.

Maybe its because I now know the backstory to Anakin's life?

Mandalorian Candidat
10-04-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I picked 'same.' I think GL's inspiration burned out before ROTJ and he's just 'going through the motions' with the prequels. More specifically: formulaic plots and a film that seems to be more interested in supporting a cool toy line than telling a compelling story.

G.L. may give us the same type of thing he did in EP1, but I expect him to give us more in the way of (1) a plot, (2) better action sequences, (3) more believeable characters, i.e., less characters that rhyme with "dungan," and (4) better written dialogue.

Just like ESB delved deeper into the main characters and their relationships, while giving us newer characters that thickened the plot, I expect the same from this movie. Just like ANH was a good popcorn flick without seeming to be deep in some kind of cirumscribing philosophy at the time, I can see that perhaps EP1 will look that way in hindsight if ATOC is as deeply developed as ESB.

I will say that if this one turns out the way EP1 for ROTJ did or even worse *shudder*, I'll feel just like a little kid on May 5, 1999 running into TRU to find that all the Darth Mauls have been taken by low-down scalpers.

soloknight
10-04-2001, 09:04 PM
I have great hope for Episode II. The Phantom, was in many ways a huge disappointment. The one big thing i'm happy about is that there will be no Jake Lloyd. I'm sorry, but the kid had no emotional range what so ever! It was like he was Al Gore's kid or something. PLEASE Mr. Lucas, give us the fans and lifelong lover of the Saga more with this next installment.

Scifiguy
10-04-2001, 10:56 PM
If Lucas has another ship fly into a battle station to blow it up from the inside, I will refuse watch those movies again. 3 out of the 4 have done that, if he can not come up with somthing new he is truly a 1 dimensional cat. I still am not crazy with the idea of him directing and writing. If the dialog is as bad as the last two flicks he will truly ruin the credibility of the entire series. I hope to god he has hired someone with the talent to write the dialog to this film. So far I think the look is good so far from what I seen lets hope the rest can hold its own.

Big barada I could not agree with you more. I like alot of Sci Fi shows like Star Wars and Star Trek they both have great qualities but both have lost the edge they use to have. The only show that always delivers is Farscape. The show is so well written, not predicible and always keeps you guessing. Plenty of action, great characters with real depth that you can relate to. Hopefully the old dogs can learn a few tricks from a very up to date and original sci fi show. I am talking similiar elements from the show. Before I sign this book I wrote I am not spitting on either series they need wake up calls. So far Star Trek is trying to change its format with Enterpirise, which remains to be seen. I hope Lucas does the same and does not let his spoiled kid make it up! Thank you for those who took the time to read this its been a while since I gave my veiws on these subjects.

Thrawn
10-04-2001, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

I will say that if this one turns out the way EP1 for ROTJ did or even worse *shudder*, I'll feel just like a little kid on May 5, 1999 running into TRU to find that all the Darth Mauls have been taken by low-down scalpers.

Well, they should've went on May 3rd when the toys first went on sale!

The only way Episode II could be worse than Episode I was if Adam Sandler played Anakin.

GNT
10-05-2001, 03:03 AM
I'm not expecting much more than Episode 1, But I think AOTC will be better story wise with the action and that will take place :)

ThomasLane
10-05-2001, 08:53 AM
I'm hoping for more, but I'm not expecting more.

JediTricks
10-05-2001, 11:30 AM
I chose "no" simply because I expected only a little from Episode I, but it didn't deliver there, so now I know better. I think Lucas has changed and I no longer expect the SW magic from these movies. Of course, I hope I'm wrong about that for the next 2.

master jedi
10-05-2001, 01:06 PM
I chose yes because I there's always more in the second chapter.

stillakid
10-05-2001, 03:57 PM
I voted "yes." I mean, really, can it get any worse than TPM?

Jedi Clint
10-08-2001, 03:33 PM
I chose yes for the following reasons:

I have spent much more time following the production of AOTC, than I ever did for TPM. That activity alone has kept the developing story of the PT in my thoughts.

The only thing I expected from TPM was that it would be a SW movie. What it delivered was the first act of a three/six part story. It spent a lot of time setting up the conflict that would peak in the second act, and be resolved in act 3. It developed characters that would be integral to not only the 2nd and 3rd acts, but to another story as well. AOTC has to further develop these characters, but it does not have to reintroduce them. The conflict has already been established, so now we can see how it comes to it's climax. Due to it's very nature I tend to enjoy the second act more than the first.

The dialogue of TPM was IMO a bit weak in parts. Jonathan Hales is assisting Lucas with writing AOTC, and seeing as this was an attempt to improve, I expect to see results.

Neo Solo
10-09-2001, 10:00 PM
I chose YES. I hope it will be a much darker movie than Ep 1. I would like to see something a lot more like Empire Strikes Back.

hairless chewie
10-12-2001, 02:01 AM
" QUI-Gonn sir, whats a midiclorian?" Jake did suck!!

stillakid
10-12-2001, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by hairless chewie

You know, it's scenes just like that one that did the movie in. By this point in the movie, the audience is either trying to block the whole Midi thing out of their heads or are still boggled as to what a Midi is. Somewhere in the film there had to be some kind of explanation for it, so GL just finds a random place to have a character define it for us. The setting was entirely random, the set-up was incredibly non-subtle, and the acting was equally forced. Why didn't GL just scroll some background info across the bottom of the screen or have Qui Gon address the camera directly: "In case you were wondering..."

master jedi
10-12-2001, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by hairless chewie

Jake was just saying what he was being payed to say.

stillakid
10-12-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by master jedi

Jake was just saying what he was being payed to say.

We're all w h o r e s in one way or another.

master jedi
10-13-2001, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

We're all w h o r e s in one way or another.

No. Just you. :p

stillakid
10-13-2001, 10:36 PM
Ouch.

master jedi
10-14-2001, 08:03 PM
Just having fun with you, stillakid.

stillakid
10-14-2001, 11:21 PM
Thanks! I know. At the moment I'm getting trounced over on the Double Bladed Lightsaber forum. Don't think I can handle a two-front battle. :)

Can I get a little backup, anyone?

xboywonder
10-16-2001, 05:53 PM
I have to say that I have lost faith in George Lucas's ability to bring back the "Star Wars feeling" that the original trilogy had.
I really thought that TPM was a bad movie... but I was so excited to have new SW that I didn't realize it at the time. I was caught up in the Episode 1 hype like everybody else.

So do I expect more from Ep. 2.... YES !!! do I really think we will get more.... NO !!!

master jedi
10-16-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by xboywonder
I have to say that I have lost faith in George Lucas's ability to bring back the "Star Wars feeling" that the original trilogy had.

Well maybe not to us older folks but maybe to the kids that were recently introduced to SW.

stillakid
10-16-2001, 11:29 PM
You've lost, that Star Wars feeling...
You've lost, that Star Wars feeling...
You've lost, that Star Wars feeling and it's gone, gone, gone
Whoa, whoa, whoa

Bum...ba...bum...ba bum...ba bum ba bum ba bum...
:o

hairless chewie
10-17-2001, 12:23 AM
I haven't lost that "Star Wars Feeling", I wouldn't be on a website like this if I did. I look at the whole series with a more cynical eye now. I think george was stung by all the critism of EP1 and EP 2 will make up for it.

bigbarada
10-17-2001, 01:31 AM
As for conveying "that Star Wars feeling" I'd easily give Ep1 a 10, on a scale of 1-10. However, when you start to delve a little deeper into the mechanics of the story the rating drops down to around a 6.

When I first saw the movie in the theaters I was totally blown away. Any confusion I might have had I was sure would be dealt with in future chapters.

I expect that Ep2 will have that same initial "wow" feeling to it upon first viewing.

SithDroid
10-18-2001, 05:34 PM
I think that Episode II will be a lot better than Episode I. The story is so much more interesting than TPM. As long as Lucas can stick with telling a great story and not adding silly childish jokes as the ones that appeared in TPM (ex. the eopie letting gas on Jar-Jar, and almost everything that Jar-Jar says and does) then it should turn out great. Hopefully Jar-Jar will have an extremely small part in this movie. Hayden Christensen seems like he'll be a good Anakin and who doesn't want to see a huge lightsaber battle including Yoda and Mace Windu. More C-3P0, new worlds, new villains. It will be great. Unfortunately the title doesn't have me jumping up and down. Why not just call it "The Clone Wars."

Wooooof
10-21-2001, 02:58 AM
Attack of the Clones is going to rock!!

I especially can't wait to see Jango Fett in action as well as Zam Wesell!

stillakid
10-21-2001, 11:24 AM
Whooo Whooo! Alright Cleveland! (put your lighters in the air)

(start chanting)

(girls, throw your bras on stage)

WhhoooO!!!!!

GNT
10-22-2001, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Wooooof
Attack of the Clones is going to rock!!

I especially can't wait to see Jango Fett in action as well as Zam Wesell!

You got that right :)

stillakid
10-22-2001, 10:23 AM
....all we are saying....

(lighters in the air)

....is give peace a chance....

(lighters continue to wave)

....all we are saying....

"Rock on!!!"

....is give peace a chance.....

Sith Worm
11-13-2001, 07:53 PM
I loved Epi.I so if II is better then I will be blown away. I expect to be blow away...