PDA

View Full Version : SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Quarterfinals - Fight 7!!!

Tycho
07-04-2002, 05:41 AM
There's nothing like the 4th of July to bring the family together for a bang!

Er well...some bangs really blow up in their face and rip them apart!

So for tonight's SSG Battle of the Machines, we bring you The Family Feud!

"Boba Fett, come on down!"

"Now Boba, you're ship is 7 years old, right?"

It's worth a lot to me.

"Released in 1996 as part of the Shadows of the Empire toy line, this repaint of the mold used for the vintage Boba Fett's 1981 toy accessory was an exciting chance for early collectors of the modern line to expand their toy ship fleet during the beginnings of the Star Wars renaissance. Slave One features a removeable side panel that allows playtime access to the interior of the ship. So Boba Fett can walk up his extending boarding ramp and into his cargo hold until he makes his way to the multi-position pilot's chair, which can be pivoted up into its flight position in the cockpit, with the use of a remote lever. Once its ready to fly, Slave-One can receive your help with a manual liftoff, but gravity will reposition its flight stabalizer wings all on its own - unless you lock the secret trigger on the carrying handle in back, and make the wings resist forward motion and act like braking flaps to help Fett achieve some of his trickier flight maneuvers. This Kuat Systems Firespray class light patrol craft also features twin, forward, pivoting laser cannons that operate on a linked firing system. Slave One sports a very detailed, battered and battle-worn art deco, easily making this toy one of the best paint jobs on a Star Wars toy vehicle in the history of the entire line. Finally, a bounty hunter's work is never done until he has captured its prey. Slave One comes ready to hold the Carbon Frozen Han Solo prop included with the toy!"

Put Captain Solo in the cargo hold.

"Well, Boba, maybe we should put the whole ship on hold. You're father might have someting to say about that. Let's bring him out now."

"JANGO FETT: come on down!"

It's always a pleasure to meet a Jedi.

Well Jango, it seems to be there's a bit of a dispute going on in your family. Your son is going to be 14 years old in the next movie and wants to get his learner's permit from the DSV (Dept. of Space Vehicles). But you have some concerns about what he'll do once he gets a hold of the family's transportation, don't you?"

Possibly.

"Well Jango, it seems like you've got Slave-One just the way YOU like it."

I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.

"Well, the 3 seat Firespray Class patrol and attack craft is packed with hidden features. To start with, there's no tracking all of them! If you manage to attach a tracking device onto the hull of Slave-One, it's onboard systems will detect it and by flipping a pannel on the toys fuselage, you can instantly destroy any detection devices, or repair the ship to "brand new." What's more impressive is the firepower packed in this baby! After manually rotating the craft's stabalizer wings into flight position for fast manuevering, hit the hidden weapons control knob to pop open a secret hatch to reveal a quadruple firing rapid launching missle system! And it really works! Extra missles are stored in the back so you can always find the firepower you will need to hunt Jango Fett's prey. But sometimes you gotta scare them out a little - that's ok too. Slave One comes with 4 rapid release plasma charges that can also be deployed like space mines just in case it gets a little harder to pin point your quarry. Or if the contract says dead-or-alive, use them in combination with the missles to just blast them into one big disintegration! It's tough to outmatch or outgun Hasbro's all-new Slave-One!"

It will do its job alright. I'll garauntee that.

"Now Boba, you seem a bit upset about all this. Your father doesn't think you're ready yet to handle all the features loaded onto his ship. And what do you have to say about that?"

He's no good to me dead!

"Wow! This is getting to be quite a heated family argument! Boba's seriously threatening his father! Jango?"

Getting impatient. There can be no mistakes this time!

Well don't lose your head over this yet, Jango.

Tonight, both the plaintiff and the defendent have decided to settle their dispute here in our forum: The Quarter's Finals!

Lasers and Gamorreans, as members of the jury, you will hear each sides' case in this matter, and then come to your verdict.

Now you will decide, which squabbling relative holds the keys to the best version of Slave One?

Will it be Boba Fett, or his father Jango Fett?

Find out now in "The Case of the Learning Permit!"

Rogue II
07-04-2002, 07:13 AM
Gimmicky firing weapons don't impress me. I voted for Boba Fett's Slave I. It was one of the best vehicles in the Vintage line. They slightly improved it for the modern line, AND they included a trading card with it.

Darth Tornado
07-04-2002, 08:55 AM
I have the classic slave 1 but I dont have or have even seen the new one. Ive seen pictures of the new slave one and it looks well done but the old slave one has a place in my heart as it was my favorite toy when i was younger so I will have to vote for Bobas' beast(although it is the same ship)

NiktosRule
07-04-2002, 11:01 AM
I don't have Boba's but based on firepower you would want Jango's ship. A bounty hunter needs firepower and Jango's slave 1 has it.

cameronmeiklejohn86
07-04-2002, 11:34 AM
Boba's ship VS Jango's ship is like a Chevette VS a Corvette!

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-04-2002, 11:41 AM
jango fett slave 1 is way better then son boba fett

plo koon 200
07-04-2002, 11:52 AM
Boba Fett's has the best paint job so I voted for his.

Tycho
07-04-2002, 12:19 PM
Some folks who don't have this vehicle don't realize: the two ships are less than a half-inch difference in size but they are definitely NOT THE SAME SCULPT.

Hasbro started from scratch to create the new Jango Fett Slave-One. It is completely retooled. That's all I'll say for now: that in toy terms, these are completely different ships. :)

MikeAndTheBots
07-04-2002, 03:13 PM
I voted for Jango's Slave-One. Boba's is cool (I own this one) but all it can really do is hold one figure and second in the cargo area. Based on what I've seen, Jango's looks like it can do this plus more with a better paint job.

LusiferSam
07-04-2002, 05:43 PM
In a way this is a tough one. I do like both ships a lot, but in the end Jango's wins out for me. The POTF Slave 1 is nothing more then a repainted vintage ship. There not many good things say about either. But it has a rotating cockpit and came with a Han in carbon (which is very lame in the POTF version). No electronics, figures don't in cockpit, that stupid side hatch, and no room for other figures is just the short list for completes. Jango's on the hand has great sculpting to it, the cockpit hold three figures nicely and I like the missile firing and drop changes. But it too has its short coming. No electronics, no ramp, and the cockpit doesn't rotate. In the end I had to sit them both down and ask which would I have liked better as a kid. The answer was Jango's.

bigbarada
07-04-2002, 10:03 PM
As a toy, I would pick Jango's Slave 1. Boba's has a cooler color scheme and paint job; but really shows it's age next to Jango's ship. Here's hoping Hasbro will re-release the AOTC version with an ESB paint scheme.

Beast
07-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Here's hoping Hasbro will re-release the AOTC version with an ESB paint scheme.
Knowing Hasbro, is there really any doubt that they will likely do that. Of course it will most likely be an exclusive, if they do. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Obehave Kenobi
07-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Finally, after a month of being offline, I'm able to post again. I've missed a lot of polls, but I can chime in on this one. I had to go with Jango on this one. I think both toys have their good points, but the new Slave 1 has the edge. It fits more figures, has more weapons, and most importantly, LOOKS more like the actual Slave 1. Plus, you have to love the peg for holding Jango's rocket pack. I'd love to see what this new model looks like painted as it appears in ESB (are you listening Hasbro?:D ). So, to sum up, Jango all the way.

Eternal Padawan
07-05-2002, 01:10 AM
Jango's is a lot STURDIER (and heavier) than Boba's. The only thing that would have made Jango's ship better is a landing ramp. I really like the ramp action on Boba's and it almost cost Jango my vote. But compared to Jango's, the original is just flimsy and the interior is icky when you take off that panel. I also loathe the little Han Solo Carbon accessory.

So I voted Jango.

stillakid
07-05-2002, 10:19 AM
While the auto-rotate wings and the ramp are cool, the more accurate sculpt and variety of weapons (stuff to shoot at other stuff) gives Jango's Buick...er, Slave I the edge. Although, both versions are necessary to "create" the very different scenes, so if it were based entirely on the toys, it wouldn't be clear that these are supposed to be the same ship. There doesn't seem to be any design reason why the AOTC version couldn't have incorporated the rotating wings, rotating cockpit seat, and ramp as well.

darthvyn
07-05-2002, 04:40 PM
missles, missles, missles!!! that's what it's all about. stillakid, i agree that it should have the ramp, but i don't think the seat moved in AOC, so that wouldn't be part of this version. the gravity-induced movement of the wings is cool, but it's all about firing semi-harmless projectiles at the family pet!!! if only it had noises, so we could play the seismic charge over and over and over and over and over...

stillakid
07-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
missles, missles, missles!!! that's what it's all about. ... if only it had noises, so we could play the seismic charge over and over and over and over and over...

I agree. And that seismic charge sfx was my second favorite of the whole film. Too bad it isn't part of the toy.

JediTricks
07-05-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
It is completely retooled. That's all I'll say for now: that in toy terms, these are completely different ships. I think "retooled" would mean they went back to the tooling and altered it, which they thankfully did NOT do. :D

I think Eternal Padawan's post says it, I voted for Jango's because it's not flimsy, doesn't have a cheap cruddy interior, has a few neat gimmicks, and has some heft to it.

jdmarlow
07-08-2002, 06:44 AM
Jango all the way!

Mandalorian Candidat
07-09-2002, 03:47 PM
At first this seemed like a difficult decision to make, but after thinking about it it's really obvious that the Jango version is superior. Come one! We get room for three figures in the cockpit! Forget about throwing Han in the hold now. We can put the handcuffed Bespin capture version in the rear seat as Daddy and Jr. fly on over to Big Daddy Jabba's for some bounty collection. The launching missiles and seismic charges are also a cool gimmick.

Boba's ship is nice, but a rotating cockpit doesn't matchup to whup-A firepower.

Tycho
08-09-2002, 01:55 PM
I'll say it again: Jango Fett's Slave-One is such a good toy, I'm continuously impressed each time I pick it up. I'm not sure that even when the Republic Gunship comes out in a month or so from now, that it will rival the new, re-designed Slave-One! This is one awesome vehicle! If there's one thing that stands out for the Episode 2 toy line, it is the great job that Hasbro did on their vehicles and Slave-One is at the top of my list!!!:)