PDA

View Full Version : Differences in thought viewers/charachters

scruffziller
07-04-2002, 05:16 PM
ONe thing that I found that put the SW universe into perspective and made you realize that to the characters everything was routine as it was a universe that had been "lived" in as a whole for over 25,000 years. The scene when you see Luke coming up to the Millenium Falcon and you see it and think wow that is a cool looking ship, but Luke says, "What a piece of junk!!!!!"
I think alot of was thinking to hope and expecting that he would say "that is an amazing ship."

Jek Porky 2002
07-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I thought that too!

Obi-Don
07-04-2002, 11:12 PM
It did throw me off a little but it worked. another is the way everyone just acted like it was all normal. The ships taking off and the different speices. I guess thats what did it for me.

Eternal Padawan
07-05-2002, 01:33 AM
I remember George saying in an interview a long time ago that many sci-fi and fantasy directors linger on their special effects shots and sets a little too long because they put so much money into creating them, that they want the audience to appreciate them a little. And the key to making it seem real, is to NOT focus on the effects. or the matte painting. or the set. Just have it on screen long enough that it sets the tone. I think he was referring to the opulent half hour long reveal of the Enterprise in Star Trek: TMP...

Beast
07-05-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I remember George saying in an interview a long time ago that many sci-fi and fantasy directors linger on their special effects shots and sets a little too long because they put so much money into creating them, that they want the audience to appreciate them a little. And the key to making it seem real, is to NOT focus on the effects. or the matte painting. or the set. Just have it on screen long enough that it sets the tone. I think he was referring to the opulent half hour long reveal of the Enterprise in Star Trek: TMP...
Ugh, I still can't stand that scene. Way to drug out and slow for my tastes. A definate 9.5 on the snore-o-meter. It's perfect if you start the film and still need to make popcorn though. Since it really is just a giant pat on the back shot for the modelmakers and special effects guys. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-06-2002, 01:31 AM
I personally LOVE that scene in TMP, but I'm a huge fan of that version of the Enterprise.

Funny how Lucas said that and then made TPM and AOTC... not funny "ha ha" though. :D

jjreason
07-06-2002, 02:18 AM
Yeah, that final Naboo battle was very subtly "touched up" with CG :rolleyes: so as not to grab your attention.

Beast
07-06-2002, 02:24 AM
Lucas isn't focusing on the effects. He's using the CGI just to tell the story. If you really think he was showcasing the CGI, he would have likely shown more of it. It wasn't used any more then models and sets or puppets were used in the OT. He's not lavishly panning around a CGI charecter or ship from all angles, while dramatic music plays, just to pat himself or ILM on the back. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
07-06-2002, 02:29 AM
Even the grass looks CG in that battle. I agree that the effects do play a large role in telling the story - while at the same time patting ILM on the back. But that's my opinion. No offense intended.....

scruffziller
07-06-2002, 02:47 PM
We may think that but I believe GL to be like that guy from the movie "PI" now if we can only get him to not want the money but exchange his movies for better production.

JediTricks
07-07-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Lucas isn't focusing on the effects. He's using the CGI just to tell the story. If you really think he was showcasing the CGI, he would have likely shown more of it. It wasn't used any more then models and sets or puppets were used in the OT. He's not lavishly panning around a CGI charecter or ship from all angles, while dramatic music plays, just to pat himself or ILM on the back.Ho ho, that's rich! Lucas is so dependant on his computer-generated imagery that he would rather rely on post-production CG to alter his real actors than actually shoot a scene several times until he got it right. This is the same chap who turned Zam Wesell into a shape-changer at the last minute even though it added NOTHING to the story. Lucas is the fellow that stuck an entire podracing sequence into Ep 1 simply because he likes CGI and racing cars. Nearly every shot of the prequels has CG in it; how much PR did LFL get out there on "amazing CG characters" like Jar Jar and Boss Nass during Ep 1? How many documentaries about the prequels involve CGI thanks to the "incredible work of ILM"?