PDA

View Full Version : Beast Wars Transformers

BoShek
07-06-2002, 12:18 AM
I cleaned out my closet and found a box with Beast Wars Transmetal figures it it. I didn't forget about Beast Wars but with the Star Wars toy explosion the line was at the bottom of my attention list. Seeing these figures made me realize how much I enjoyed collecting these. Anyone else like Beast Wars?

figrin bran
07-06-2002, 01:51 AM
my favorites were depth charge, tigerhawk and transmetal cheetor

JediTricks
07-06-2002, 01:52 AM
I'm a big fan of Beast Wars. I thought Transmetals 2 wasn't the best move though, too far off the path. The show was fantastic though.

Should I merge this thread into the RID one? http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10305

I thought Depth Charge was pretty cool for a large size fig, but I liked regular Optimus Primal a little more. I liked TM2 Megatron as well, that one was probably the best Ultra-sized Beast Wars fig for me.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-06-2002, 03:20 AM
I had that Bat Optimus Primal/ Crocodile Megatron 2-pack and Deluxe Optimus Primal. I have no idea where they are.

JediTricks
07-06-2002, 06:13 AM
I have Bat Primal and Crock Megs, that was a sad set. The figures have basically the same transformation, real basic Machine Wars-style. It came with a mini-comic too, very silly.

My favorite thing about Gorilla Primal was that all his weapons (twin swords, missile-launchers, and a skull-mace) were all concealable on his body AND he had a fairly neat gimmick that didn't get in the way of anything else.

BoShek
07-06-2002, 08:55 PM
My favorite is Rhinox.

Did any of you collect the Japanese versions? I got a bunch.

JediTricks
07-07-2002, 06:36 PM
I only got LioConvoy when it was offered from HasbroCollectors.com. It's a pretty cool figure, but HC asked way too much for it IMO since they had to factor in shipping afterwards.

pthfnder89
07-08-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by BoShek
My favorite is Rhinox.

Did any of you collect the Japanese versions? I got a bunch.

I bought Big Convoy (the mammoth) from Beast Wars Neo and it's worth every cent I paid for it. He is one of the coolest transformers ever made, along with Fire Convoy and the original Soundwave. His Beast mode is nice but he's wicked looking in his robot mode, and he has a removable matrix in his chest. You don't get better than that.:)

morecow299
07-08-2002, 10:08 PM
i never got into beast wars
they are very wierd

BoShek
07-08-2002, 11:59 PM
I collected BW, Beast Machines and RID and I must admit that Beast Wars had the best show and best toys.

JediTricks
07-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Right on BoShek! I can think of so many really neat Beast Wars figures that I own, but I draw a blank after the big names in RID and BM.

I remember when I first got into Beast Wars, it was when B'Boom came out, that figure was pretty cool, but it led me right to the Predacon gestalt Tripredacus which was just so DIFFERENT from the G1 gestalts that I had to dig it! (it helped that it was 3 cool insects... ok, 2 cool insects and a lobster ;))

JediTricks
07-25-2002, 12:02 AM
I got Megabolt Megatron today and I must say that it's about time! This figure was originally scheduled for the last wave of Beast Machines but got canned and brought back as an RID figure exclusive to KB. This figure has a nice enough "megahead" mode though the wheels that activate the legs and jaw can only grab super-frictiony surfaces like a wall thanks to the helmet at the bottom and some slick tires. A little paint wash on the "face" would have been a nice way to say "thanks for waiting and then paying $3 extra because it's at KB" but it's still dandy w/out.

Transformation is nicely complex, instructions are fairly useless because they tried to explain everything at once. Lots of good folds and unfolds though, but I still get hung up on reverse-transformation a bit.

Robot mode is fantastic, lots of style going on here that is just a joy. I love the feet, the arms, the hands, the head, the Beast Machines helmet, this is one great robot mode. The legs aren't terribly strong at the ball joint though, so keeping it standing has been a bit of a tussle. I haven't quite figured out the right way to have the shoulderpads, but that's really a personal choice issue I suppose. The spark crystal activates the leg wiggling effect, makes the missile launcher flip over to face front which has the helmet on the bottom that goes over Megs' head (it's held in place with a fairly strong magnet) - pushing the crystal again puts your eye out... heh, I mean it fires the missile.

This fig and Supreme Optimus Primal are good ways to say goodbye to the Beast Wars line, but I wish they had finished up on a less sour note.