PDA

View Full Version : At what point does Vader realize Luke is his son?

jjreason
07-06-2002, 04:11 AM
This topic stems from a post about the novelizations of the OT being re-written. The writer was interested in reading about Darth's feelings while shooting at "his son" during the last trench run in ANH.
It is my belief that Vader did NOT know Luke was his son at this point, and may not have known for some time after the conclusion of the events in ANH.
I believe Vader must have done analysis of what went wrong at Yavin, discovered the identity of the pilot who fired the fateful torpedos (either through intelligence or meditation or both) and come to the obvious conclusion.
Has anything else been written or said? What do you think?

Beast
07-06-2002, 04:15 AM
Well, if you accept EU at all, there was a comic series where Vader discovered the identity of the pilot that destroyed the Death Star and of course, by the name realized that it was his son. I believe it took place, just shortly after the events of ANH, as Vader is torturing a captured Rebel Pilot for the name. The Dark Horse comic mini-series was called Vader's Quest. Of course if you discount EU, then it was still sometime after the events of ANH. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
07-06-2002, 04:21 AM
I have those comics, and don't remember that at all. Obviously, I was very moved by them! I will reread them to check that out. Thanks for the input.

Nebulaz
07-06-2002, 04:42 AM
Where does the timeline fit in between movies?

Eternal Padawan
07-06-2002, 11:16 AM
There are three years between the end of ANH and the beginning of ESB. And about a year between ESB and ROJ.

Vader probably heard that the rebels were claiming some bum named Skywalker had blown up the Death Star and it piqued his curiosity. The Emperor gave Vader an entire fleet and a brand spankin' new Super Star Destroyer to go check it out. That's where we begin ESB "That is the system. The rebels are there and I'm sure Skywalker is with them..."

LTBasker
07-06-2002, 01:14 PM
He found Luke's back-up I.D. card that was inside R2 but since R2 got shot it flew out and stuck to the grill of Vader's TIE.

Name: Luke Skywalker
Born: Yes

Exhaust Port
07-06-2002, 01:42 PM
Vader kept getting his mail.

Luke Skywalker you might already be a winner.

Obi-Don
07-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Even though most don't go in for the EU,but What JarJar said sounds pretty good. Thats the way I figured it anyway. Vader discovering who the pilot was and then maybe found in in the force.

MFH
07-06-2002, 03:57 PM
He didn't know in ANH. All he says during the trench run is "The Force is strong in this one." He doesn't know who it is, though. I'm pretty sure he realized it as soon as he heard the name "Skywalker."

Last name Skywalker + Strong in the Force = I'm a dad!!!

Exhaust Port
07-06-2002, 04:57 PM
"Someone's going to be hitting me up for some child support soon."

MFH
07-06-2002, 07:53 PM
"Some day I'll chop his hand off, then he'll be just like his old man!"

Eternal Padawan
07-07-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by MFH
"Last name Skywalker + Strong in the Force = I'm a dad!!!"

and

"Some day I'll chop his hand off, then he'll be just like his old man!"

Pretty funny. I think you just found yourself some new signature lines.

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 04:06 PM
I'd say so too. Funny stuff! :)

"Luke Skywalker, you may have qualified for Platinum Status!"
Geez, no wonder Vader strangled all those Imperial officers. :p