PDA

View Full Version : How and Why on Earth ?

DarthBrandon
07-06-2002, 07:35 PM
How does Brian's toys have the new R2D2 anniversary figure and it's a toysrus exclusive that's not even released to toysrus yet ?

And why on earth would someone pay $ 299.99 dollars for something that's going to be free after you spend $ 25 to 35 dollars at toysrus. They said that there will be enough for everyone so it just doesn't make sense to me why Brian's toys would have them and why people bought them at that price.

http://www.brianstoys.com/acatalog/Saga_Exclusives.html

Can anybody say rip off.

Rogue II
07-06-2002, 07:44 PM
I guess they are salesman preview copies. And things Brian's Toys are usually overpriced.

Anyway, anyone who buys it for $300 is a fool and deserve to have that money taken from them. Seems silly to me, just to be the first kid on their block to get that new toy.

LTBasker
07-06-2002, 07:49 PM
Yeah most likely. SirSteve said he could also get Salesmen samples but they'd be pricy on the thread about the R2 in the Saga section.

Still though, anything above what it would cost at TRU to get one is ridiculous. People are too stupid...

DarthBrandon
07-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Pricey is not the word guys, just plain ripping people off sounds better to me. I know BT's is a sponser for this site, but common that's as bad as scalpers prices, even though you may get it sooner than somebody else, don't people understand they could get 8 or 9 of them just by spending $25 to 35 at toysrus a few times. Lets see 8 to 9 R2's plus all the other S.W. toys you bought on top of that. Geeze I wish people stopped and thought about it for a minute, rather than rushing out to pay big bucks for one item.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-06-2002, 08:31 PM
Good thing Brian's Toys isn't a defense contractor. They'd be billing the government for $1000 hammers instead of the standard $500.

DarthBrandon
07-06-2002, 08:56 PM
Imagine how much they would charge for an exclusive toilet seat.

LOL

Rogue II
07-06-2002, 09:14 PM
Ever since I started reading these forums, I've noticed none of the moderators ever reccomend buying from Brian's Toys. They usually mention KEBco and Yestertoys.

Seems like every time I open a toy magazine, there is a Brian's Toys ad in there. There must be a lot of people willing to pay high prices for cheap toys.

I will say that Brian's toys has the biggest selection of Star Wars I've seen on the internet. I almost bought some loose figures from him, but I got them cheaper on EBay and Yestertoys.

Obi-Don
07-07-2002, 02:07 AM
Brian's may be a big,but thier prices are to. Thats why I don't buy from them because of the prices. If they would be more reasonable on thier prices. I would go there and buy instead of hunting all over the place for my stuff.

rynobot
07-07-2002, 02:27 AM
Their prices are high because they are trying to make more money on less product being sold. They have more product because the price is too high to sell it.

jjreason
07-07-2002, 02:57 AM
I think they're making a living off people that are a) unable or b) unwilling to do their own shopping. If money was no object I'd be a lot less concerned about how much I was paying for R2 than I would be about where I could get him first. To some people 300 bucks is really nothing.
BriansToys fills a niche - one stop shopping for people who need obscure sw stuff and don't care how much they pay! Obviously there are a number of these in the universe or else there wouldn't be BriansToys adds and links everywhere.
If they're making a living on toys, good for them. Many independent businesses have failed in that pursuit. I personally don't want to spend more than it's worth (hopefully nothing!) so Ill have to wait or do without. I just hope the figure comes to Canada as R2 is my main man - errr I mean main droid?!

Forhekset
07-07-2002, 07:00 PM
Like jjreason said, they fill a niche. Specifically, the "I'm a stupid dumb@ss" niche. Yeah, if I had a big wad of cash and I were the type to spend money like it's going out of style, I might not mind dropping $300 on this figure either - but it seems like if you have a lick of sense, you'd go spend $30 or so at TRU and get one for free, regardless of whether or not you could afford to pay $300 for one. It isn't like this is going to be a Toy Fair Vader, or a Jorg Sacul (at least I hope it isn't). That's just me though.