PDA

View Full Version : 25th Ann Collector's Ed SW Trilogy

Rollo Tomassi
12-06-2001, 07:44 PM
Sigh. The umpteenth reprint of the original novels. Yawn. DelRey never tires of bleeding the stone dry do they. (is that a mixed metaphor?) What I don't get is why they don't give Alan Dean Foster his due credit. Donald Glut and James Kahn both get their names on the cover. Everybody knows ADF wrote the dern thing, so just go ahead and put his name on the cover like he deserves...

JediTricks
12-07-2001, 04:27 AM
I wonder if ADF requested his name be left off the book, or perhaps he ghostwrote it and his contract said he'd never get credit.

bigbarada
12-07-2001, 11:48 AM
I think GL will always keep him name on the original Star Wars novel to prevent people, decades from now, saying, "Star Wars, based on a novel by Alan Dean Foster."

Believe it or not, many people are still trying to find the original set of novels that GL based the saga on. :rolleyes: I know cuz I've met one of them, and he still doesn't believe that it existed as a movie first then a novel (I know the novel was released first but it was based on the movie script).

OC47150
12-09-2001, 03:17 PM
I remember seeing the paperback in the stores in '77. Think I got it for my brother for his birthday but I can't pin a date down better than '77. It was a long time ago.

I do remember the place: Kroger.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-10-2001, 07:20 PM
Look at all the reprintings of the LOTR books. Story hasn't changed, but people buy 'em for new cover art. I have 3 copies: my paperback gold one from the late '70s early '80s, the SW Trilogy paperback collection, plus the paperback Special Edition.

Oh well. Star Wars sells.

El Chuxter
12-12-2001, 01:06 PM
Yeah, BCJ, LOTR is pretty nutsen with the reprints. A few days ago, I noticed the following versions on the shelves:

the somewhat older mass market paperbacks
new mass market paperbacks with film photo covers
trade paperbacks with film covers
hardcovers with film covers
hardcovers without film covers
trade paperback omnibus of all three novels

That's just what's available right now, and doesn't include The Hobbit or Similarion (sp?).

JEDIpartner
01-02-2002, 11:51 AM
I recall seeing the original priniting of this book to have come out sometime in late 1976. I COULD be worng, but I think that's how the Library of Congress page read. I think the gold cover came out with the initial release of the film.

I believe the first printing of the three novels under one cover came out on the 10th anniversary of ANH. I believe they referred to it as the "Omnibus Edition". I'll have to go check my shelves for that one.

r2dee2
01-08-2002, 09:58 AM
This (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/IMAGES/booksw1976stitcheds_7.jpg) was one of the earlier books to come out before the movie.........in December 1976.

r2dee2
07-06-2002, 11:13 PM
The 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition The Star Wars Trilogy book (http://www.twinsuntimes.com/toyforce/IMAGES/25thannswtrilogyA_5.jpg) is out, if you're interested.

InsaneJediGirl
07-06-2002, 11:16 PM
Ooh..Pretty:D

Is it Hardback or a softcover?

r2dee2
07-06-2002, 11:47 PM
It's hardback and going for $25.95 and I found mine at Borders.

Darth Evil
07-07-2002, 07:50 AM
Nice, but I already have the OT books.

Eternal Padawan
07-07-2002, 11:24 AM
I noticed the book at the store today. The "new" introduction is the same one George used for the Spec Ed rereleases a few years ago, with afew words changed.

Sorry, but I prefer my dog-eared copy from 1976. I've read that thing ten times or more...

OC47150
07-08-2002, 09:10 AM
I'm gonna wait six to nine months to see if the new hardback edition doesn't show up on the bargain tables for $5 before I buy one.

pthfnder89
07-09-2002, 01:08 PM
When I was about 9 I found a truly battered first printing hardback at a book fair at my elementary school. I had never even considered that there were ovels written from Star Wars. I snatched it up immediately and I still love it.:)

Then in 5th grade we had a small "library" of books in our clasroom that we could read at any time as long as we brought them back. Once I saw the Empire Strikes Back paperback I knew it would never come back from my house;) And I was right.