PDA

View Full Version : Why is R4-P17's "voice" of an astromech and a mouse droid?

JediTricks
07-07-2002, 08:53 PM
I just thought it was an odd combination to mix a mouse droid's "voice" with an astromech's. This droid seems to be a real conundrum, it's an "R4" droid but has an R2 dome, it's an astromech droid but it has no body, and there's this voice thing.

DeadEye
07-07-2002, 10:20 PM
The voice thing, most likely, was because they didn't want it to sound identical to R2D2 when it's supposed to be a different type of droid, and they wanted an easy way of going about doing that.

LTBasker
07-08-2002, 03:15 AM
Maybe it's supposed to mean that if Hasbro makes it a figure with a mini-astromech body then Tycho will make it ditch sniffing the Mouse Droid to sniff this. :D

I think one way this could be explained is the R2 dome was used for better aerodynamics cause a cone-head would've possibly screwed it up plus it would've been more of a target during a fire-fight but they used R4 "brains" to integrate into the ship but since it didn't have as big of a head, they had to take some stuff out, some of that possibly being stuff that was directly connected to his "voice" controls that caused it to sound differently.

JediTricks
07-08-2002, 09:29 PM
The EU explanation on SW.com is that Ani found an R4 droid in a dump and refurbished it with an R2 dome and truncated mini-body.

I guess DeadEye's explanation sounds the most realistic, but I kinda wanted it to be something more than "laziness".

DeadEye
07-08-2002, 10:31 PM
They usually say that the simplest explanation is the correct one.

Truth, in this case, is not stranger than fiction. And it's boring, too. Unfortunately. :p

pthfnder89
07-09-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
They usually say that the simplest explanation is the correct one.

Truth, in this case, is not stranger than fiction. And it's boring, too. Unfortunately. :p

Too true... as evidenced by several other sound effects, such as a certain purple bounty hunters blaster which sounds exactly like a TIEs laser.

LTBasker
07-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
The EU explanation on SW.com is that Ani found an R4 droid in a dump and refurbished it with an R2 dome and truncated mini-body.

I guess DeadEye's explanation sounds the most realistic, but I kinda wanted it to be something more than "laziness".

I didn't like SW.com's explanation of that so I made my own up when they first released that. :D

Pure laziness though is the key, they just couldn't come up with another easy way to make beeping noises.

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 01:04 PM
Someone agrees with me! I thought Zam's pistol sounded just like a TIE fighter's laser cannons! The Geonosian fighters had the same laser sounds too, oddly enough.

And in ANH Leia's E11 sounded like Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum.

JediTricks
07-10-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
Too true... as evidenced by several other sound effects, such as a certain purple bounty hunters blaster which sounds exactly like a TIEs laser. Yeah, I hated the heck out of that. It really bothered me a lot more than the Geonosian Fighters simply because Zam's weapon is a handheld blaster while the TIE Fighter's are ship-based weaponry. Since the Geonosian Fighters are also ship-based, that only bugged me a little, but the Zam thing really bothered me. There are a few more like that.

DeadEye, in the original versions (pre-SE) of ANH, Leia's stormie blaster sounded like a regular stormie blaster. I dunno why they removed that for the SEs though and left the sound of the blanks going off.

pthfnder89
07-10-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Yeah, I hated the heck out of that. It really bothered me a lot more than the Geonosian Fighters simply because Zam's weapon is a handheld blaster while the TIE Fighter's are ship-based weaponry. Since the Geonosian Fighters are also ship-based, that only bugged me a little, but the Zam thing really bothered me. There are a few more like that.

That's what bothered me about it. A handheld weapon should have a completely different pitch and timbre. It's like reusing the sound of a Star Destoyers engines for Artoos tiny little jets. Just doesn't make sense.:confused:

I'll have to go back and compare my Original and SE copies of ANH. I've never paid attention to the smallersound effects changes.

RooJay
07-10-2002, 11:44 PM
Why not?

JediTricks
07-11-2002, 02:33 AM
Why not? Because the 2 styles of droids have different sounds, and if Burtt or Lucas wanted something new, then I think he should have come up with something a little more original... or at least slowed the mouse droid element down or sped it up - SOMETHING. Star Wars sound effects have always been creative and fresh and fairly consistant until Ep 2, I've always enjoyed hearing the new stuff the sound guys came up with for these films, especially when it was evolutionary. That "evolution" thing is why I didn't like the "pulsing" ship sounds from Ep 1 though, it didn't seem like these "whub whub whub"-style sounds in Ep 1 would ever become the smooth sounds of ANH and beyond.

RooJay
07-11-2002, 05:13 AM
Guess I'm just not that picky.

Darth Cruel
07-11-2002, 12:28 PM
I am humbled. I thought I was the most critical individual of the technical aspects of the movies, but I have been bested. I never would have thought to take my criticism to this point.

I do understand why it irritates some people, though. There are technical aspects that bother the heck out of me that other people find to be ridiculous as well.

Fixer
07-15-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Too true... as evidenced by several other sound effects, such as a certain purple bounty hunters blaster which sounds exactly like a TIEs laser.

Yes, I think that ol' Ben Burtt is streching himself too thin. Stick with the sound design and leave the editing to someone who knows what they're doing.