PDA

View Full Version : Dishonesty you have seen at work.

scruffziller
07-08-2002, 03:39 AM
I have observed many dishonest things being done when I have been working. And in light of all that is going on with Enron, Worldcom I can see how things that are done like this if done by a whole bunch of folks it will add up.

I worked for a company a telemarketing company that was somehow involved with Enron in some way. I noticed that for some reason they didn't really do any business but still managed to keep the place open. But about the time Enron went down so did the center that I was at. The company as a whole is still around. When I worked there we had these insurance agents that needed to validate sales. The sales reps would make the sale then transfer them to the agents for validation. When the sales were real slow(which was most of the time) the insurance reps would slam sales even if there had been noone on the line. Ever wonder how a credit card insurance plan gets charged to your account and you didn't authorize it, this is probably how. A supervisor would come over and hook up a splitter to the phone with the agent and the supervisor would play the customer answer all the questions and the insurance rep would validate, putting a phony sale through. So yes rotten to the core. I also worked for a local state grocery store that still does fresh meat cutting like a butcher shop does. I worked with a guy who wanted to be Manager like 2 weeks ago. His routine was to make money dishonestly. He would sell 1/2 pound Rib Eyes that weren't a half 1/2 pound. He would grind up outdated hot dogs into the sausage and hamloaf. And he would make up beef fillets with bacon wrapped around them but would weigh up the entire thing at the price of $8.99/lb. So the person was getting charged $8.99/lb for the 2 slices of bacon. It wasn't a whole lot but it is still stealing.

jjreason
07-08-2002, 04:11 AM
Makes me want to go to a butcher where they cut the meat right in front of you!
I, too, deal with dishonesty at work. In every one of it's myriad forms might I add.

Jargo
07-08-2002, 07:00 AM
I guess the most dispicable thing I ever saw while at wor was while I ws working security at a hospital. One of the guys who was my superior would go round the nurses stations and take stuff from their kitchens like milk and food to get him through the night. That's bad enough but considering that the nurses are so badly paid and do so much worthy work for a pittance I found it to be utterly disgusting. This same guy would beat up on old folks if they didn't do what he told them while the nurses were out of the room. It's basically because of this guy that I quit the job. I just couldn't stand to be near him. I passed on the info of what i saw as a reason for quitting in the hope he might be investigated but my guess is that the whole security firm is corrupt anyway.
I certainly wouldn't feel safe now at the hospital if I was a patient. I make sure anyone I know who goes there leaves their valuables at home just in case.....

Been on training courses aplenty. I was on a secretarial course a while back and rumbled a scam to get money for sending trainees out into the workplace before they'd had any training. Thay were getting us to say we'd done stuff we hadn't and then placing us in a company. Each person placed netted the training company a large cash bonus from the government. I left the course in digust and then I got a questionaire from the government asking how I'd found the course and had I benefitted. So I detailed the scam and got the training center closed. Damned if I'm gonna see corruption like that. Not to mention how the poor kids on the course were being treated like pawns in a nasty game. They were there with all good intent expecting to learn a skill and all they got was crap thrown at them by irate employers expecting trained staff.

figrin bran
07-08-2002, 11:31 AM
Emperor Jargo, that is one terrible security supervisor. that food is primarily for the patients, i'm assuming? (i work at a hospital myself) what if they were short of food b/c of him? terrible!

well in my own department, i've heard about and seen b/c they showed me proof that the manager in charge of payroll will short change certain employees that they don't like on their paid hours. so what ends up happening is that they have to call up the payroll department, fill out forms and wait a few weeks for the amount due to them.

odb
07-08-2002, 04:57 PM
Having worked in accounts and with auditors I seen some pretty dishonourable things. The company I recently left was the worst. It ranged from the dishonourable to the illegal. Dishonourable activities included delaying payment of wages by several days in order to pay subcontractors who refused to complete jobs on site unless they got paid.

Other things such as the MD issuing cheques knowing they would bounce then allowing other people in the company to explain to the supplier why their cheque had bounced (its a criminal offence to do this in the UK). Fiddling the VAT and trying to 'lose' 400,000. The auditors and the MD over valuing the company in order to sell it and finally forging sales for the company to the tune of 1 million.

Knowing that stuff like this goes on its no surprise that collaspes like Enron and fiascos like Worldcom happen.

Dark Knight
07-08-2002, 05:37 PM
While working in the food industry I have seen employees steal everything from steaks to pasta(one employee tossed a box of steaks in the dumpster and picked it up later), to one manager lending money at 50% interest. He would cash the employee paycheck and leave the what left over in an envelope. There was one guy repeatly change his time so he could mantain his overtime. That all I want to say. ;)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-08-2002, 11:14 PM
Reading the posts by odb and others has reaffirmed my beliefs in regard to government regulation of business. I too fear big government to some extent. They can be just as dishonest and crooked as some of the employers you have mentioned in this thread so far. But for those who cry for limited government involvement in business and corporate America, if you are in favor of letting corporate America police themselves, then I think you might have to rethink your position, especially in light of what is going on in the corporate world today.

You see it is human nature for people to take advantage of situations like those mentioned above. If some people see they can get away with their shady practices, they will show no restraint in what devious things they can do. And if no one is there to stop them, then these shameful practices will only continue.

Strong regulation seems like a dirty word for some but as far as I can see, it is the only alternative to correct the Enrons, Worldcoms, Adelphias, etc. The SEC, the regulatory body of Wall Street, has seen it's influence wane since it's creation during the New Deal, especially during the boom period of the late 90's. That is probably one reason why these companies did what they did. What is needed is a strong reform bill from Congress that'll grant firmer powers to the SEC or any other financial agency, to go after these corporations, to help prevent more of this mess from occuring in the future.

Kyo-Kasahara
07-09-2002, 12:24 PM
I don't even want to get started on the dishonest ,immoral, hypocritical things that go on where i work... I can say, that i truly hate that place though.:mad:

Exhaust Port
07-09-2002, 01:57 PM
I luckily haven't encountered any serious dishonesty at any of my jobs. Sure people might cut work a few minutes early or borrow office supplies but nothing more than that. I think of myself as very lucky from the other people's stories I've heard. <knocking on wood>

Mandalorian Candidat
07-09-2002, 09:28 PM
I'm really lucky to be working where I am in academia. For those of you who don't know, I'm a grad student in chemistry at a major private university. There's really nothing dishonest that I've seen and I've seen tons around where I used to work. The people I deal with seem to be top shelf as far as integrity around the lab, which is great in my book.

However, I used to work for a company that made inspection chemicals for the airline industry. The idiot lab manager who I replaced never used to adequately test the materials according to Air Force and civilian QC specs. I would find the same exact numbers logged in for each different batch of material. Knowing the yahoos who are in charge of making the stuff that could never happen. I think he used to sit on his can all day reading the paper, drinking his 6.5 glasses of coffee, using .75 rolls of TP before going home after collecting the paycheck.

I would routinely visit customers' inspection houses (these are the people making things from the bolts to keep aircraft seats attached to the floor to critical rotating engine parts) and they would be doing all kind of stuff incorrectly and fudging their inspection logs then blame it on our stuff when they got shafted through either government or civilian inspections. Luckily I started keeping better records so we were always in the clear. My boss, who has been in this business for eons, won't fly certain airlines **cough**cough**continental**cough because their inspection shops are really excreble and are always getting busted.

It's not just dishonesty destroys character, it can be unhealthy (the person with VD/AIDS sleeping around without notifying their partner(s)) and dangerous (the incompetent med. student/doctor who cheats on their exams) for the innocent as well.