PDA

View Full Version : Do you want Hasbro to include stands with your action figures?

Tycho
07-08-2002, 04:31 AM
What do you think?

jeffonthego
07-08-2002, 05:46 AM
To me, this is a big, obvious, emphatic YES!!!

However, 25 years since the first toy line (and "holed" figure feet), Kenner/Hasbro does not seem to have figured out that throwing this little extra piece of plastic in with their figures would really make their customers happy.

The bizarre thing is that they knew enough to put the holes in the feet, but then stopped short of including the stands. Why?

It's like building a car, designing a steering wheel, but then selling it with just an empty hole. At least, I think that's what it's like. lol

But seriously, I just don't get it. Such a no-brainer...

The magnet idea is an even cooler one. If every figure came with magnetised feet, collectors could just hook up a sheet of lightweight metal on which to display their figures. It would give a lot more flexibility in terms of moving them around.

But for now, would just settle for throwing in the plastic stand. However, five movies later, with only one to go, I won't hold my breath.

P.S. Anyone have any recommendations for online dealers that sell good stands cheaply in bulk. Five movies later, and my figures are still without their stands . . .

jeffonthego
07-08-2002, 05:48 AM
Woo-hoo, I'm the first reply on a poll . . . do I win a prize?

;)

jeffonthego
07-08-2002, 05:50 AM
So far:

20 Yes

2 No

Out of curiosity, to the "No"s out there, why wouldn't you want them to include the stand?

Seems like an obvious bonus to me . . . hmmm

jdmarlow
07-08-2002, 06:42 AM
My only concern would be how much would the price on figures increase with an addition like this? Remember they did include "stands" with the pegs on the COMMtech chips. Those cost $7.99!

Magic-Middle
07-08-2002, 07:08 AM
I have lived without the stands for 25 years and would hate for Hasbro to increase the price to include something that isn't really necessary. It is nice to see the prices back down again so that everyone can collect/play with the toys. It sure is a lot easier for a parent to say yes to a figure if it is $ 4.99 vs. 5.99, 6.99 or higher. You would be surprised at how much a dollar can effect a decision. Also, these are action figures that are meant to be played with, that was there original intetnion and current intention too when you get down to it.

Rogue II
07-08-2002, 07:23 AM
I say yes, include the stands. They are much better choice of extra than a Force File or a lame commtech chip.

Quite-Gone Jim
07-08-2002, 07:23 AM
Stands we be better than the scenary pack-ins Hasbro has been doing. (Maybe if they think those parts are that neat, they should make playsets!).

Jeffonthego: the Fan Club sells some stands which work well for me. It's $3.99US for 12 stands. Not real cheap, but they work. The only problem I have with them is they are too wide, so small figures take up more room.

billfremore
07-08-2002, 08:11 AM
Action figure stands are the only thing harder to find than a Palpatine nowadays.

I would love for Habro to include these just so I can avoid in the future the absolute fun I have of when I bump the shelf on which some of my figures sit and have an action figure avalanche fall on top of me.

Darthpost
07-08-2002, 08:41 AM
they should include stands for the figures. if you look at a good majority of the figures out there they have stands or at least a display included with them. like the mcfarland figures.
The comchip was a stand and was 7.99 but all star wars figs were 7.99 at a point in time. Its really cheap to make a plastic stand for figures

tk006
07-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Why shouldn't stands be included you ask?
Well first off I don't want to pay an extra $1. when Hasbro says we had to raise the price to cover the increased cost of including the stand.

Second, I feel the stands should be the choice of the collector. If Hasbro made them they'd probably not standardize them and would have different ones for different figures bringing more chaos to displays. It would be nice if Hasbro made bundle pack sets of stands available and perhaps in clear and various environments like forest, snow, grassy and desert color if enough interest was there for other colors.

Anyone in deperate need of stands can already order them through www.realstands.com anyway.

corporal AMF
07-08-2002, 08:49 AM
Just my point: Should they?
YES

What I think?:
NO, they will charge you $ 1 for these......so let's get sticked to new cool accesories and pack-ins instead of new stands, you can always find some action stands or something anywhere else

starwars92570
07-08-2002, 08:56 AM
Episode 1 figures came with commtechs and those are sorta like stands, and i'am starting to run outta stands!

jedi master sal
07-08-2002, 09:03 AM
Anyone voting know must be part of the Dark Side. The cost would be SO minimal. I know for a FACT that stands only cost 1 to 2 cents a piece so factor in the middlemen and the price should only go up a quarter. That's right 25 lousy cents. That's still cheaper than the "action stands", anywhere you can find them.

I for one am for the stands with the figs. As long as they don't up the price buy more than 25 cents.

The commtechs stands were a rip-off IMO. The sound quality stunk to high heaven and the stands themselves were clunky.

Just give us a plain, circular, clear or black stand and you will make MOST of us happy. This is where Hasbro SHOULD be. Making customers happy keeps them coming back for more.

This little hunk of plastic would enhance the larger hunk of plastic by many-fold.

Thank you and you may now resume voting and posting (j/k ;) )

jedi master sal
07-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Let me make this more clear. Keep packing the other accessories but also include the stand. It cannot possibly hamper the packaging and does not detract from the other accessories.

mrmiller
07-08-2002, 09:26 AM
Do away with the cheesy "Force" and "Blaster" Effects and give me a stand. Standard stands for all the figures would cost hasbro close to nothing.

=MATT=

YodaFett
07-08-2002, 09:32 AM
I like the commtech stands myself they fit well for a figures.

DarthBrandon
07-08-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I say yes, include the stands. They are much better choice of extra than a Force File or a lame commtech chip.

RogueII hit the nail on the coffin for me, that's exactly how I feel about this topic.

Runobot
07-08-2002, 11:27 AM
yes, include them and no, do not raise the price. I am sure the cost of such a thing would be minimal, like 1 cent...

The GI Joe reissues from hasbro come with 2 stands, 2 figures, and accessories for $7.

brentfett
07-08-2002, 11:38 AM
OH YES!!!!!!!
I would have no problem paying up to a buck more for my figures if they all came with an action stand. And please, put holes on the bottom of all the figures' feet!:rolleyes:

thespar
07-08-2002, 11:49 AM
Yeah sure go ahead in put them in. Hasbro having been doing it for years will their GI Joe.

Jonna
07-08-2002, 11:53 AM
Sure as long as they don't raise the price.

cameronmeiklejohn86
07-08-2002, 12:06 PM
Well, I know that stands weren't a bad thing when the SW micro machines were around. As long as Hasbro didn't take out accessories to save cost and make room for the stands, I say why not!?

Jedi Juice
07-08-2002, 12:19 PM
Personally, I don't really care for the accessories and anything else that is packaged inside the bubble with a figure. I think a stand to display the figure is beyond necessary.

Mace Windex
07-08-2002, 12:22 PM
Of course they need to include these! Does anyone make them now???

OC47150
07-08-2002, 12:39 PM
As long as Hasbro doesn't start skimping on other accessories for the stands, I'm for stands!!!

The commtech chips work when you're in a bind or have run out of other stands.

Lord Tenebrous
07-08-2002, 12:52 PM
For figures like Watto, and others who need additional support, then yes. But not with every figure. 80% of them stand on their own, and the stands should really be built around the figure itself (like a stand that attaches to Jango's backpack for a flying look)

vaderdentist
07-08-2002, 01:38 PM
I can make a stand............keep the price lower!!!!

Darth Tornado
07-08-2002, 02:39 PM
This is a most interesting vote as the answer should be yes for everyone(although I see some nos). Some of the figures have the most terrible time standing up(The worst one for me is Bib Fortuna which loves to fall and take many of his neighbors with him). The only problem is Hasbro would probably raise the price if they included stands with them(we seem to never win do we:(

Darth_Vader
07-08-2002, 03:11 PM
yes, include them and no, do not raise the price. I am sure the cost of such a thing would be minimal, like 1 cent...

The GI Joe reissues from hasbro come with 2 stands, 2 figures, and accessories for $7.

metaljedi
07-08-2002, 04:26 PM
I voted NO because it just gives Hasbro a reason to raise the price again.

DarkArtist
07-08-2002, 05:01 PM
definately, If hasbro is gonna to make this figures have these action poses then the figure should come with stand.

jedihunter25
07-08-2002, 05:35 PM
YES. I've probaly spent over an extra $90 on the action stands from the fan club. Before I always had a hard time getting them to stand up. And for those really hard figures to stand up, if you walked by them they would fall down. And for the Geonosian Warriors, I would by a whole army of them if they had peg holes in their feet but I only bought a few because they always fall down.

JediTricks
07-08-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
For figures like Watto, and others who need additional support, then yes. But not with every figure. 80% of them stand on their own, and the stands should really be built around the figure itself (like a stand that attaches to Jango's backpack for a flying look) Watto (AOTC) will come with a flying stand, that's his only accessory.

I voted "no" simply because I think it'd be used as an excuse to raise the price a buck. The FF, CTC, JFF, all the pack-ins were extremely cheap to make, they didn't raise the price, they were added because the price was raised to make the price-hike seem like the buyer was getting more for his money. Also, with stands, I think Hasbro will become even more dependent on preposing and figures that can't stand on their own.

I would buy a big playset-like display stand similar to an Ultarama (which I already have 2 of) if Hasbro wanted to go that route, but as pack-ins, I just don't have enough faith in Hasbro to get it right without raising the price.

the last jedi
07-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Well I would say yes because of the new way they are being produced. They dont stand anymore.

jeffonthego
07-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by tk006
Why shouldn't stands be included you ask?

If Hasbro made them they'd probably not standardize them and would have different ones for different figures bringing more chaos to displays. It would be nice if Hasbro made bundle pack sets of stands available and perhaps in clear and various environments like forest, snow, grassy and desert color if enough interest was there for other colors.

Wouldn't different stands for different figures be great?! Part of the problem now is that stands are often too wide, needing to accomodate the biggest figures. It sucks when you have a battle droid with narrow feet, requiring a big circle stand. Personally, I think custom-sized stands would be a great improvement!

Hmmm...hadn't thought of the price issue. Of course, it shouldn't increase the costs of figures, so it's just a question of whether Hasbro felt like ripping people off.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-08-2002, 08:50 PM
Lose the gimmicks, add the stands. :)

Tycho
07-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Doesn't anybody ever put 2 figures on one circle stand? Especially for scenes or situations where figures are standing in rows.

Like any Master and Apprentice situation: Qui-Gon's left foot is on the one peg, Obi-Wan's right foot in on the other.

This could almost work for battle droid columns, but then there will be pairs within the formation as in : II II II II II versus I I I I I I I I

But I know it doesn't work for all figures, as large ones hog the stands. Most dueling figures, except for hand-to-hand combat scenes (or kissing scenes ;) ) need to be on 2 stands to get them a decent fighting distance apart.

But it does work sometimes.

Lord Tenebrous
07-08-2002, 10:12 PM
I know the new Watto has a stand, JT. That's the kind of support the original Watto needed, although the CT chip helped a little.

And I really doubt Hasbro would have an argument to raise prices for stands. Bespin Luke has several accessories, and the weathervane is a deluxe stand, from a certain point of view.

Hasbro could modify that suction cup with a foot peg in the middle, and that would be a passable stand. Push it down on your desk, and you have a strong, flat support piece...

...in theory.

MichaelV103
07-09-2002, 07:20 AM
Collectors need stands, not blast effects. Come on Hasbro, THINK!

chicobob
07-09-2002, 07:41 AM
USE Ebay!! User basebworld@aol.com sells stands dirt cheap at wholesale. .25 cents each buy as many as you want, uses paypal. Dont even have to go through an auction, just email him.

Tycho
07-09-2002, 02:56 PM
I like the blast effects. They look sharp in dioramas and add to the excitement of the aesthetics of many a figure.

There does not need to be a trade-off with including stands VERSUS blast effects (or holograms, accessories, etc.)

Look at Palpatine. He came with nothing.

Look at the price of those E-bay stands $.25 each. I don't think we have to worry about cost increases to include stands.

At mass production, blast effects and stands don't cost Hasbro anything.

Mandalorian Candidat
07-09-2002, 04:10 PM
I would love to finally get some pack-in stands for my stuff. So many figures have problems standing still as it is let alone sitting on a shelf or desk that gets nudged. I would love it even more to bring the CT chips back (IMO the best pack-ins to date).

All this would rest upon any decision to change the price. A quarter, sure. More than that, no way. They're not expensive to make but Hasbro would find a way to justify their inclusion for a good price hike.

Vortex
07-09-2002, 06:05 PM
I have to personally lean toward no.

Its one more thing for me to misplace or loose, and like Tycho was saying, trying to get them close, duel, what have you...stands just get in the way, and when you display them, they take up way too much space.

If the cost goes up, not worth it, and odds are, some scalper or nut job will start to say that one stand is differnt from another and we'll open another bag of worms with another crazy "variation". I can see the Ebay discription now..."Errored stand. Is a whole 1/32" smaller than standard stand. VERY RARE."

These toys are currently designed for the kids, like that article at Rebelscum was stating, and I'm sure the play value for figures and stands is a big zero with the kids. Probably feels like they shouldn't play with it if it comes with a stand.

As collectors we say screw the effects, knobs, whistles, pegs...blah, blah, blah, but these things are geared towards the kids right now and blast effects have a higher play value than a stand does.

If we've lived this long without stands, we can wait longer or buy stands from some other source.

I don't need'em.

chicobob
07-09-2002, 06:47 PM
:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:
First of all, these toys SUCK. They are BARELY poseable and obviously not articulate - therefore absolutely NO fun to play with. The only purpose for these crappy things is to POSE and make ourselves feel like more of a geek then we are to begin with. I don't really think it should be added to the figures if it blows the price out of reality, but anyone who complains about paying 25 cents for them at wholesale should not even be buying the figures in the first place.

There is absolutely no way these things get in the way. Unless of course you like to make Han and Chewbacca make love or something. And if anyone is stupid enough to buy a stand because itís claimed to be a "variant" then they deserve to get ripped off! Also if any collector actually says, "screw the effects, knobs, whistles, peg, ect" then they should reassess their situation. Those are the best part of these toys since it is practically the only thing that moves or creates some type of action. Plus how can you re-create a scene without these items - just have a bunch of lamo figures standing there, staring at each other?

Case in point, if you take your figures out, the only thing to do is pose them in some way or another. A 25-cent stand would make this a world of difference!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JediTricks
07-09-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
I can see the Ebay discription now..."Errored stand. Is a whole 1/32" smaller than standard stand. VERY RARE."
Dang, that reminded me, on the GI Joe:A Real American Hero line from Hasbro, the figures all came with stands, but SOME of the stands and peg holes didn't fit some of the figures. Why? Because the peg holes for a few figures were larger!

If Hasbro can assure of these things:
- No cost increase to consumers
- Universal, never-changing size
- High enough quality so the pegs won't break off the stands

those would be the criteria for getting me interested in pack-in stands. I never want to pull another broken peg from a figure's foot again.

Needles
07-09-2002, 10:20 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No figure can stand without the help of Episode 1 commtech chips,and sometimes they fall!They definently need stands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stormie
07-10-2002, 12:22 PM
I'd love a pack-in stand for every figure. Shouldn't raise the price any, but stranger things have happened before.

Also, I believe someone mentioned an idea of having magnets on the feet of every figure to let them stand securely on metal surfaces. This is a terrific idea! The force-flipping figures in the Saga line, though the magnets protrude from their feet unneccessarily, stand perfectly and with no effort. Why not just eliminate the peg/hole idea and go for magnets in the feet? Hopefully it won't raise costs, but they sure would stand!

Needles
07-10-2002, 02:12 PM
thats a braight I dea,I have the Count Dooku force flipper and it stands perfect,just cant jump correctly,but they say that on the package

Deoxyribonucleic
07-10-2002, 07:07 PM
It would be great, however, I think it would be an excuse for Hasbro and retailers to raise the price again...like the Commtech EP1 fiasco! If they didn't raise the price then YES!

chicobob
07-10-2002, 07:27 PM
i still think its a good idea

AdmiralPiett
07-10-2002, 11:21 PM
Here's a startling fact: McDonald's "reg meat" (Big Mac, Double Cheeseburger, etc.) only costs a McDonald's restaurant $.08 per patty to buy from the McDonald's corporation. However, those patties (before cooked) are over twice the diameter and about 2 times the height of a Protech action figure stand.
Given this information, we can apply it to Hasbro's expenses and conclude that no one should pay more than two cents extra for an action figure stand to be included in their package. These are little plastic stands, not beef!
Piett

obi-dad
07-11-2002, 01:45 AM
I voted yes, but only if Hasbro:

1). doesn't raise the price
2). keeps giving us GOOD accessories

I loved the new direction with POTJ with better figures and accessories. I was blown away by the deluxe Bacta Luke & Jabba's prisoner Leia. I know they are deluxe, but they aren't the only newer figs with better accessories. I thought the Obi-Wan Kenobi (Coruscant Chase) that came with the ASN-121 Assassin Droid was a nice touch (though I didn't like the magnets). Anyway.... back to the point, not only do the accessories increase the play value (and get kids involved in the hobby), they are also cool for diorama builders. Good accessories aren't as easily found as stands through other vendors. So, as long as it doesn't increase the price or decrease the "good" accessories that come with the figures, I'm all for them. They really shouldn't add much to the cost of the figure. For people that posted they would charge an extra $1/figure for them... that's way off. However, I couldn't believe brentfett's quote: "OH YES!!!!!!!
I would have no problem paying up to a buck more for my figures if they all came with an action stand." You can buy good stands online for much less than a $1, so why be willing to pay an extra buck to have it included with the figure????

Nebulaz
07-11-2002, 02:47 AM
No, its a waste of space to me, well since i only collected carded.

plasticfetish
07-13-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by the last jedi
Well I would say yes because of the new way they are being produced. They dont stand anymore.

Yeah ... that's pretty much my thought too. The idea of magnetized feet (or at least one foot) is a good one, the "neo-micromen" from takara came with magnetized feet and it's great. Not to mention if the play sets have magnets in them it all works together so well.

I actually thought the commtech chips were cool (I know my kid liked them) ... and I can't imagine that they REALLY were that expensive. If Hasbro wants to raise prices ... they'll just make up an excuse regardless. Besides, they can cut costs by using cheaper ... err ... more child safe plastics.

Jargo
07-15-2002, 01:43 PM
Missed the voting but I say yes. A clear stand not a black one or any color really and without a bloody great logo on it. The price stays the same and the other accessories don't diminish.
Although if habro quality control was higher half the problems with figures faling over wouldn't happen. However what I'm not sure about is whether I'd want two small stands - one for each foot, or one bigger stand with two pegs.

dr_evazan22
07-16-2002, 02:39 PM
I missed the voting also, but I would love to get a stand w/ my fig's (although I now have about 100 extra stands in anticipation of new fig's!).

Give me a stand and take away the crappy "action" features. The cool accessories need to stay though.

DarthBatman
07-19-2002, 01:56 AM
I don't really want to pay extra money for a stand when you can buy 12 for 4 bucks on an online store...

mdquinn
07-25-2002, 09:02 PM
Yes stands seem liek a very obvious idea, I mean you can buy ones of many onlien sites but think back to GI Joes and mroe 80s toys about 75% of these came with stands, seeign how Habro/Kenner is givign these major articulation and putign them in poses ( some of whichc annot stand well) stands are a must.

And since soem people have already bought other standws, why nto make all figures have footholes?
And stop with variations of figures not havign them.

The genosian Cannot stand unless it has the staff tilted down or it is propped up against a wall.

-