PDA

View Full Version : And Now...Transformers!

Eternal Padawan
07-08-2002, 09:20 AM
Coming Attractions has just announced that somebody has bought the rights to the Transformers film franchise. Due to the recent resurgence of popularity with the DVD releases and the Dreamwave comics, they decided the time was right. If I had enough money and clout in Hollywood, I would have done this years ago. Maybe I can still have my way and do a live action G.I. Joe movie. Snake Eyes flipping out and killing people would be so SWEET! Hasbro wouldn't say which studio/production company was the lucky buyer, so let the speculation begin. Are we looking at another cartoon? CGI? Live-action??!?

icatch9
07-08-2002, 09:34 AM
I was thinking this exact same thing last night. They should make movies about both of these. Live action all the way baby! One stipulation. They have to get the same guy to do Primes voice. You know the guy from the cartoon. It just woulnd't be the same.

Hey I've got a couple of bucks maybe we can combine our money to buy the rights to GI Joe :) What do you think? Anyone else want to contribute?

pthfnder89
07-08-2002, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't get my hopes up yet. They have been trying to make a TF movie for about 10 years and still no one has managed to make it happen.

I'm REALLY enjoying the Dreamwave comic though. It's well done and the art and writing are way above par.:)

El Chuxter
07-08-2002, 12:07 PM
I'm iffy about the Dreamwave comic. I love the art, but the story from the first three is maybe an issue's worth of story. And I'm not too fond of Bumblebee and Grimlock being used as brainless weapons, nor of Grimlock being a traitor. I'll see how the whole thing plays out before making a final judgment.

pthfnder89
07-08-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I'm iffy about the Dreamwave comic. I love the art, but the story from the first three is maybe an issue's worth of story. And I'm not too fond of Bumblebee and Grimlock being used as brainless weapons, nor of Grimlock being a traitor. I'll see how the whole thing plays out before making a final judgment.

El Chuxter - I'm also a little iffy about how much substance they are putting in. I really like the story itself, but you're right about the individual issues being a little thin. There just isn't quite enough writing there to justify $3 per issue. I'm hoping that will change.

Eternal Padawan
07-08-2002, 03:16 PM
I haven't picked up either the new G.I.Joe OR Transformer comics. How can they do a Joe comic without Larry Hama, I says. And the TF book is impossible to find, even in reprints. Plus, I quit collecting comics back in '92 and vowed not to start back up again.

El Chuxter
07-08-2002, 04:39 PM
EP, I'd recommend the new GIJoe comic wholeheartedly. I too was worried about Joe sans Hama, but the new series is surprisingly faithful to the old continuity. And Hama is slated to do a story arc in an upcoming "Special Missions" type comic. I can't wait! :D

Oh, and Simon "I wrote all the really good Transformers Volume 1 comics" Furman is going to do a mini-series next year for Dreamwave featuring the first encounter between Optimus and Megatron! :D

JediTricks
07-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Mainframe should get the nod to do a CGI Transformers classic film after they gave us some great years of Beast Wars. The folks who did that show really understood how to play the stories and characters out in a serious way without having to downplay too many minor roles or too much comic releif.

Exhaust Port
07-08-2002, 08:10 PM
I can't believe that there hasn't been a live action/CGI anime large robot movie made yet. With all the source material coming out of Japan and the US it's a matter of time before the movie industry taps into this gold mine. Transformers would be a great starting point. I would hope they would do G1 and not the following series AND have the original voice actors back. Man that would be sweet!

BoShek
07-08-2002, 11:03 PM
"AND have the original voice actors back"

This would be very hard to do, especially with the actors that did Jazz and Starscream having passed away. :cry:

Then factor in how hard it would be to get the other actors back for their parts. :cry: :cry:

Jedi Knightrider
07-09-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by BoShek
"AND have the original voice actors back"

This would be very hard to do, especially with the actors that did Jazz and Starscream having passed away. :cry:

Then factor in how hard it would be to get the other actors back for their parts. :cry: :cry:

Well, the voice actor who did Optimus Prime was also the voice actor for KARR in Knight Rider, and he's going to be in the new movie, Super Knight Rider 3000. I think he'd be up for it.:)

Eternal Padawan
07-09-2002, 08:55 AM
Chris Latta died? That's a darn shame. He did Sparkplug's and Wheeljack's voices too. As well as Cobra Commander...:cry:

It's funny how many guys did multiple voices on the show. Whenever I watch it, I think "Gee. Those three characters are all the same voice actor, so he's talking to himself..."

Scatman Crothers had a distinct voice with Jazz, but I think he could be impersonated by somebody.

They definitely have to get Peter Cullen back for Prime. I think the other voice actors would get a kick out of doing a feature film.

Mainframe should only get the business, if they get a WAY bigger budget.

pthfnder89
07-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Mainframe should get the nod to do a CGI Transformers classic film after they gave us some great years of Beast Wars. The folks who did that show really understood how to play the stories and characters out in a serious way without having to downplay too many minor roles or too much comic releif.

Well they were the front-runners for the TF Movie for a long time but again, the powers that be are being incredibly fickle about it. It seemed at one point last year that they were annoucing and debunking TF news every other day.:rolleyes:

anarky
07-09-2002, 02:37 PM
grimlock should have the same voice, only darker, grittier--and he'd better be in it, or i'll pass

megatron should be the same

soundwave and ravage should have different people doing similar voices--it's painfully obvious how many characters are voiced by megatron

slag should have the (1986) movie voice (aka dizzy devil from tiny toons)

shockwave needs to be fully digitized--it always bugged me that in the comic he's a merciless, emotionless killing machine--but in the cartoon he sounds like a tired old man

rip chris latta--say hi to john entwistle for me :cry:

SithDroid
07-11-2002, 10:54 AM
I think that a new Transformers movie would be great. However I think that it would be extremely hard to replace Scattman Crothers and Chris Latta. Latta did a Ton of the voices for the Transformers. Peter Cullen had better return as the voice of Optimus Prime. I could not picture anyone else filling that role.

Sad to say EP, a live action G.I.Joe film might get made. The company that made the horrible Mortal Kombat films owns the rights. Now would be a perfect time for a movie to get made, however I think that this company would totally mess everything up. Well, let's keep our fingers crossed in case anything happens.

By the way, the new Transformers comic is pretty interesting. I love the artwork and the story is pretty good. I like how some of the autobots are not on the same side anymore. The G.I. Joe comic is really good as well. I can't wait until Thundercats and the new He-Man comic come out. I picked up Transformers Armada the other day and it looks like it will be an interesting series. Although there really aren't many familiar characters in it yet, so I hope that some show up soon.

pthfnder89
07-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid

By the way, the new Transformers comic is pretty interesting. I love the artwork and the story is pretty good. I like how some of the autobots are not on the same side anymore. The G.I. Joe comic is really good as well. I can't wait until Thundercats and the new He-Man comic come out. I picked up Transformers Armada the other day and it looks like it will be an interesting series. Although there really aren't many familiar characters in it yet, so I hope that some show up soon.

Armada hasn't made it to my comic store yet but I plan on picking it up since I've been really enjoying the new G1 comic. The toys on the other hand are poo and won't be touched by me...:D

El Chuxter
07-11-2002, 04:40 PM
I read Armada last night. It's lousy. Save your money for the GIJoe comic. :D

Eternal Padawan
07-11-2002, 07:29 PM
I had this really cool/weird dream about live action GI Joe. Cobra had taken over some skyscraper in NYC and a bunch of Joes were on the roof and Scarlett was trapped on one of the floors in the building shooting at a bunch of Vipers. One of the Joes (Mainframe I think) tells her to jump through the window. She is several dozen floors up and skeptical about this plan, but does it anyway. It seems SnakeEyes had tied himself to one of those construction cranes on top of the building with a bungee and jumped over the side, so when she smashes thru the window in slow motion he grabs her and they sail past the window. Enough time passes that the Vipers come over to see why Scarlett just killed herself by jumping out the window, when SE and Scarlett come sailing back up and waste them all.

Then there was more later on where Snake Eyes was chasing a helicopter full of Dreadnoks thru downtown NCY on a motorcycle, and a bunch of Joes were chasing Stormshadow.

Rick Yune was playing Stormshadow and Tom Cruise cameoed at the end when they removed Cobra Commander's mask. It was a weird dream. But it stuck in my mind so much that I started toying with a screenplay, but I couldn't come up with a good enough reason for Cobra to be starting a ruckus. Because I wanted the obvious reasons they were doing everything to be a smokescreen and for them to actually accomplish their goal, setting up the sequels. The sequel starting when Cobra breaks their commander out of prison. I loathe when they kill off a perfectly good villain at the end of a film. All the best villians had several films or stories to make them great. Blofeld. Vader. Comic book villains (Dr. Doom, RedSkull. Lex Luthor, Joker,) Where would they be if they bit the dust in their first outing.

The cool thing about SnakeEyes is that nobody is playing him. He never speaks and you never see his face, so it could be a bunch of different stuntmen playing him. I doubt a studio would go for having the lead character be played by no one, but it would rock.

SithDroid
07-12-2002, 12:02 AM
Sounds cool EP. Joes that I think should be included in a live action movie if it were ever to get made would have to be: Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Duke, Flint, Shipwreck, Roadblock, Beachhead, Torpedo, Dusty, Gung Ho, Lady Jaye, Cover Girl, Snow Job, Barbeque, Quick Kick, Bazooka, Dial-Tone, Tunnel Rat, Jinx, Spirit, and Shockwave. Cobra must haves would have to include Cobra Commander, Destro, Baroness, Tomax, Xamot, Firefly, Stormshadow, Major Bludd, Dr. Mindbender, Copperhead, Zartan, Road Pig, Zanzibar, Thrasher, Zandar, Zarana, Monkeywrench, Torch, Ripper, Buzzer, B.A.T.S., Crimson Guard, Eels, Cobra Soldiers, etc...

I'd save Serpentor for a sequel. Or if that is too many Joes to use all at once I'd cut a few out because many of them are used for certain terrain only. The Dreadnoks could be cut out and saved for a sequel as well.

El Chuxter
07-12-2002, 12:05 PM
I'd leave Serpentor out altogether. He and Sergeant Slaughter should be forgotten.

Eternal Padawan
07-13-2002, 08:05 AM
That's a lot of characters to cram into a film SithDroid.

The crux of my plotline was the Zartan/Stormshadow/SnakeEyes storyline from the comics, combined with the traditional terrorist plot of Cobra Commander . Zartan had killed Stormshadow's master and pinned it on SnakeEyes, so Stormshadow joined Cobra to get back at his friend. It would have been revealed during the first film that SE and Stormie were part of the same clan like Issue #22 in the comics. I only had about six Joes with speaking lines and a few more with cameos back at HQ. I definitely had Scarlett, Duke, Roadblock, Stalker and of course SnakeEyes. The others characters hadn't been fleshed out. I liked the relationship between Flint and Lady Jaye in the books, but since I already had a relationship in Scarlett/SE there was no point in having two couples. But they would have made for good comic relief banter, so I was toying with them. I had WildBill as the pilot character. The trouble with the Joe team was having too many of the same macho character on the team. Hardasses like Gung-Ho, Shipwreck, Beachhead etc don't play well off each other on screen. It's the same character over and over which gets boring. Plus, I was never a big fan of the cartoon which is where most people get their preconceptions for the characters they like. Shipwreck for instance. Memorable character on the cartoon, but not a good transition to the big screen.

The main Cobras were CC, Stormie, Firefly (in a very brief sabotage role) Zartan, the dreadnoks, and plain ol' Vipers. Maybe a cameo by Destro. Bludd and Mindbender would NOT have made it into my story.

I'd leave Tomax, Xamot and the Crimson Guard for the sequels. You'd need NEW AND IMPROVED Vipers without getting into the specific ______-Vipers.

By El Chuxter
I'd leave Serpentor out altogether. He and Sergeant Slaughter should be forgotten.

Amen. ;)

Kind of got off track from TF but oh well. :)

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Cobra Commander was in that one TF episode under a different name so I think it fits this thread perfectly. ;) By the way, what was his name/orgainization, I'm drawing a blank right now.

SithDroid
07-14-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
That's a lot of characters to cram into a film SithDroid.

Well, most of them wouldn't have significant speaking roles or would only be used as background visual characters, but if I had to narrow down my pick I would go with

JOES
Snake Eyes
Scarlett
Duke
Flint
Roadblock
Beachhead

COBRA
Cobra Commander
Destro
Baroness
Major Bludd
Firefly
Stormshadow
Dr. Mindbender
Zartan

It's so hard to narrow them down, but a live action movie would definately be cool.

El Chuxter
07-15-2002, 01:52 PM
EP, I'd put Firefly in as a cohort of Zartan. After all, he was a ninja from a rival clan and worked with Zartan to attempt to kill Snake Eyes in the comic book.

I think it'd be cool to have two simultaneous plots going: one dealing with the ninjas and one dealing with defusing Cobra Commander's master plan. Either Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow could be unmasked in their final duel and the two then realize who each other are. They take out Zartan (and/or Firefly), then save the other Joes from certain defeat.

There should be some easter egg cameos, as in the X-Men movie. Maybe Billy, for one.

Eternal Padawan
07-15-2002, 02:47 PM
The original reveal in the books had them both get their gloves shredded and reveal the clan symbol tatooed on their forearms. It was the first "silent" issue, but I forgot which issue # it was.

I just saw the new comic version of Shipwreck. THAT might work, but his old bellbottom and white sailor hat look wouldn't cut it in a film I'm afraid.

SithDroid
07-16-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I just saw the new comic version of Shipwreck. THAT might work, but his old bellbottom and white sailor hat look wouldn't cut it in a film I'm afraid.

That was the version I was thinking of when I was talking about including Shipwreck. The sailor hat and the bellbottoms would be completely stupid looking next to the other Joes.

Darth Nihilus
07-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Sad to say EP, a live action G.I.Joe film might get made. The company that made the horrible Mortal Kombat films owns the rights. Now would be a perfect time for a movie to get made, however I think that this company would totally mess everything up. Well, let's keep our fingers crossed in case anything happens

Yeah but don't forget that MK was written and directed by Paul Anderson and MK2 was written by monkeys. As long as you get a good team working on the film it doesn't matter who controls the rights.

As for a TF movie, I'd like to see a combination CG/live-action film. It'd be a pretty gutsy film for someone to make. I think only recently has technology come far enough for such a movie to be made convincingly.

Jedi Knightrider
07-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
As for a TF movie, I'd like to see a combination CG/live-action film. It'd be a pretty gutsy film for someone to make. I think only recently has technology come far enough for such a movie to be made convincingly.

check out the link in this thread! they can definitely do the CG!!!

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12173

Darth Nihilus
07-18-2002, 10:05 AM
I wish I knew how to use Lightwave. I've got it on my computer and have no idea how to operate it.:cry:

Eternal Padawan
09-02-2002, 09:30 AM
This has sort of been co-opted as a GIJoe movie thread as well. Oh well.

Cameo's for Billy, you say? I was thinking the movie should take place in the 80's for some reason. It just seemed appropriate.

The movie opens in 1975 with Cobra Commander sitting at home with his wife and toddler son (the Billy cameo!). He is complaining about the govt, watching TV. His unhinged brother has just returned from 'nam and his living with him. The brother decides to take the car out after he's been drinking all day and gets on the road. Cut to a man, women and their beautiful twenty something daughter driving down the road (to the airport, to pick up their son...see where this is going?). Cut back and forth between the two cars until the flaming accident.

Go to credits.

Movie picks up ten years later....to be continued.

What I was thinking about was the Cobra war machine. The always seemed to have an inexhaustable supply of troops. Who were these guys? Why would someone join Cobra? How do they recruit? How do they keep it secret enough that the govt doesn't infiltrate and shut them down? And where do their funds come from? They always had money to buy HISS tanks and stuff. What do you guys think?

ROLLO!

2-1B
09-30-2007, 01:22 PM
They have to get the same guy to do Primes voice.

Never gonna happen.

They'd have to get someone the caliber of Michael Bay, he's one of the few filmmakers who could actually pull this movie off.

El Chuxter
09-30-2007, 01:29 PM
Well, Grimlock wasn't in it. I wonder if Anarky stayed true to his word and passed.

2-1B
09-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Anarky was at the concession stand eating Nachos when this movie was playing sans Grimlock.

El Chuxter
09-30-2007, 02:01 PM
I thought he was pretending to be Optimus Prime, Kup, Perceptor, Starscream, Grimlock, Snake Eyes, and the cow at the same time?

(That ought to make some people scratch their heads.)

Tycho
10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
They'd have to get someone the caliber of Michael Bay, he's one of the few filmmakers who could actually pull this movie off.

Yes! And Michael Bay was ingenius with his effort. It paid off in a movie that I've seen in the theaters probably 8 or 9 times, plan on attending the IMAX showing of, and will be hoarding the DVD for next Tuesday!

El Chuxter
10-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Tycho, do you realize that you could've saved twelve third-world kids from starvation with the money you've spent on repeat viewings of this turd?

Tycho
10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes, but after they starve to death they won't be missing Transformers, will they?

See: there's a solution in there!

El Chuxter
10-10-2007, 08:00 PM
No one would miss that movie except you.

2-1B
10-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Michael Bay wouldn't even miss that movie.