PDA

View Full Version : I knew it, Hasbro DID IT AGAIN...

Rheen
07-08-2002, 11:58 PM
Another great figure screwed up (IMO)...

The prototype:

http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2002/07/news20020708_1.html

The Final Product:

http://www.rebelscum.com/ww02/ww02-anakin_3.jpg

Why Hasbro had to add those stupid "soft goods" and a Jedi Kick" feature screwing him up totally.

The only thing I can say is...

What a HUGE dissapointment!
Thumbs down for Hasbro this time. :(

Jedi Juice
07-09-2002, 12:04 AM
It might just be me, but I think the "prototype" and "final" are the same.

Beast
07-09-2002, 12:06 AM
So you have this figure in your hands, and can tell that they screwed the figure up totally with the kicking action huh? As long as it doesn't hurt the leg articulation, which from what I have heard it hasn't, then cool. Everyone starts complaining whenever they see prototypes, and not waiting til they have it in their hands. That is not the finished Anakin figure Rheen. Whenever you see a figure on display like that at a convention, it is either a paint master, first shot, or packaging test shot. Note the magnet, that will be painted over, or actually inserted into the hand, on the released version.

Everyone is complaining the Jedi figures can't sit down good, because of the skirts from their tunics. So what is wrong with using soft goods on one figure. From what I have read the soft goods were added, not only to be movie accurate, but so he would fit in the Speeder. That's good for everyone that wants an Anakin that can do that. I'll take soft goods whenever it's needed, as long as it's only used occassionally. Plus he has 13+ articultaion points. :eek: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rheen
07-09-2002, 12:28 AM
JarJar, sorry to dissapoint you , but that figure IT IS the final product, I can see you donīt check out Ebay too often, huh?!

If do a search for that figure youīll see that thereīre seller with that figure in Hand.

And I donīt need those "kick and stuff " features, bcuz I donīt play with my figures, and yes the right knee joint it ruined the
sculpt for me.

Just my opinion.

Beast
07-09-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Rheen
JarJar, sorry to dissapoint you , but that figure IT IS the final product, I can see you donīt check out Ebay too often, huh?!

If do a search for that figure youīll see that thereīre seller with that figure in Hand.

And I donīt need those "kick and stuff " features, bcuz I donīt play with my figures, and yes the right knee joint it ruined the
sculpt for me.

Just my opinion.
Yes, I checked Ebay. You mean the ones that were posted by star_wars_paul? They say that they are "In Hand" but if you read the fine print, you will notice this:

This Figure is confirmed, to be delivered to us & In our hands by the end of NEXT WEEK. We will ship it straight to you as soon as they arrive!!

So it's not in hand, he's falsely advertising that it is, and also using a picture from one of the collector's sites. Take a look at the following link, and read his whole posting. If you look at almost all of the auctions that have him, they are using pictures from a website. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1747503185

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jdmarlow
07-09-2002, 12:44 AM
What does it add to the figure to have those "soft goods" fabric dealies anyway? I much rather buy the prototype.

corporal AMF
07-09-2002, 02:28 AM
IF YOU LOOK CLOSELY ENOUGH TOU'LL SEE THAT THE PROTO DOESN'T COME WITH THE SOFT GOODS, SO IF YOU LIKE YOU CAN TEAR THE FABRIC APART AND VOILA!

DarthSetnom
07-09-2002, 02:51 AM
yeah but it will most likely look lame after you take it apart...

On the other hand, i like this figure! he looks good in the package. We'll just have to wait and see if he can stand...

BillyJAck
07-09-2002, 07:14 AM
I'd just wait fellas till you have a loose one in your hand and pose it a little then bash it if it still sucks..

187-Maul
07-09-2002, 08:01 AM
hey JJB, where are the 13 articulation points? can he turn his hands too?
till now I love this figure, even with the cloth thing:)

Beast
07-09-2002, 08:05 AM
Articulation points from what I can tell 187-Maul. :)

Head, Arms (2), Elbows (2) Hands (2), Waist, Legs (2), Left Ankle, Right Knee (bending) Right knee (cut-joint)

The right leg articulaion is a little hard to explain. It's not really at the knee, but at the top of the boot. Its similar to the articulation on Luke: Bespin's legs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

187-Maul
07-09-2002, 08:12 AM
wow I never noticed the legs (knee) articulation !
now I want him even more
and a 4 min. answer? damn your quick

Forhekset
07-09-2002, 08:14 AM
I dunno. At first I didn't like this figure at all, but the more I look at it, the more I think this figure actually looks pretty good. Anakin HD is "allright", but this one's a lot better, I think. Sure I'd prefer a more neutrally posed Anakin with no gimmick, but I bet it's going to be a long time before we get one of those, so...if you really hate this figure, just wait and they'll make an Anakin you like. I don't want to wait though so I'll probably get this one. I don't think his kicking action will get in the way of poseability TOO much. I assume he has some button on his back? I could do without that too, but really I don't understand why people say the buttons ruin "aesthetics". Maybe when you have the figure in your hand staring at its backside, but who makes dioramas with figures posed so their backs are facing the viewer? Nobody. And it's not like you're going to be picking up the figure and turning it around in your hand on a daily basis. So the buttons for the action features don't bug me too much. I hope they do paint over that magnet though, and that the final figure won't have a much larger magnet that looks like a big wart (a la Jedi Starfighter Pilot Obi-Wan).

Mandalorian30
07-09-2002, 08:24 AM
I actually like the way the figure looks.

I am pretty sure that is the final product of the figure however. The reason I think this is because when I went to Wizard World in chicago last weekend, when the doors opened at noon I went straight to the Hasbro booth. They were still setting up there figure display. The rep from Hasbro was actually just taking carded figures out of a baox, ripping them open, and placing the figures in the display case. This Anakin figure was one of them.

JEDIpartner
07-09-2002, 08:29 AM
I like the figure, too... even if he has that permanent scowl. The only thing that looks a little silly is the unpainted magnet and... HIS DIMPLES!!!! :crazed:

odi-wan windu
07-09-2002, 11:21 AM
I don't care, I like this figure. The articulation also gets me all tingly inside. :D

LTBasker
07-09-2002, 12:23 PM
I don't like the pre-posing of the figure. :p I'd rather his "kicking" be more like Aayla Secura's, which is done by extra articulation and imagination. :D The cloth skirt was most likely added not so that people would be happy that it can sit down but just because the plastic skirt got in the way of the figure. And, the soft-goods do complete the bottom of the tunic, because we'd get the skirt even if it was plastic. ;)

pthfnder89
07-09-2002, 01:40 PM
I'm not sure why anyone WOULDN'T want fabric used on their Jedi figures whenever possible. The plastic robes looks nice usually but they limit poseablility drastically.

JarJar- I'm thinking that TA Anakin probably won't have waist articulation. They've been doing that more and more recently, particularly with the figures who have gimmicks in their arms or legs like Pilot Obi Wan. Something tells me that they took away the waist joint on TA anakin.

But that's just a feeling I have; I'll wait to see the figures for myself. Personally I think it's going to be a good Anakin fig and I'm looking forward to it.:)

odi-wan windu
07-09-2002, 02:05 PM
me too.

Beast
07-09-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
JarJar- I'm thinking that TA Anakin probably won't have waist articulation. They've been doing that more and more recently, particularly with the figures who have gimmicks in their arms or legs like Pilot Obi Wan. Something tells me that they took away the waist joint on TA anakin.
That's highly possible pthfnder89, but it looks like he still has waist articulation from the pictures that we have seen. Oh well, either way it's an awesome figure and I can't wait for to find one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
07-09-2002, 04:38 PM
Yeah, the figure LOOKS cool, but then again, so did the Jango Fett FB until I took him out and tried to pose him. But I will buy this figure if I come upon one, not least for the Tusken accessories.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-09-2002, 04:43 PM
i know this figure is goanna be awsome, and sense i cant find my arm to my anakin hd i can just give him the green lightsaber

thespar
07-09-2002, 04:59 PM
I do not mine the cloath items sometimed they are better used then the plastic ones.

DarthBrandon
07-09-2002, 05:17 PM
I don't know what's wrong with soft goods at the bottom of their robes, this seems to me, way better than hard plastic that will limit what can and cannot be done with a figure. Here is my comparison between the two, maybe this might change your minds.

If all figures came with bendable arms and legs and various other features like removable helmets and guns to fit in holsters etc. Then with soft good at the bottom of figures robes or attire, you could sit them in vehicles and chairs properly without the hinderence of plastic goods at the bottom of their robes ( attire ) etc.

This only makes sense to me, as people are always complaining about not being able to fit them in ships playsets properly because of the hard plastic getting in the way of their pose -ability. You would also be able to move the legs alot better than you can now. i.e. I had to cut the sides of my Coruscant Guard's robes just to get him to stand up right, I also had to cut the length of it so I could do this. P.S. under the robe has great detail that you may never see with hard plastic robes. I know with cloth robes or soft goods at the bottom I would not have this problem. i.e.#2 If you wanted a Vader that could kneel before the Emperor, would you want him scene specific ? Meaning kneeling and that's all he could do cause hard plastic can't straighten up. I would vote for one that can kneel and stand with soft goods to support this. Just seems good to me, rather than having a figure stuck in one pose cause of the hard plastic. GI Joe can do this, why not S.W. ?

And Yes I think this figure will be great for kids and collectors, from what I have seen so far.

thespar
07-10-2002, 11:30 PM
i look to in the vintage line when they first made the royal guard his red rodes where cloth. And i do not rememory to many problems with it.

kdp100
07-13-2002, 10:27 AM
Hmm, just taken him out of the packet and can confirm the following:

The magnet isn't painted-over;
Discounting the extremely lame "kick-action" pelvis, there are 11 points of articulation (head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, mid-thighs, right knee-hinge and right lower-leg);
There is NO waist-articulation;
The left leg is permanently bent at the knee, and the lack of pelvic joint means that the only articulation on this leg is halfway down the thigh. This does allow him to stand, and is is fine if you want a "John Wayne" or "Cossack Dance" posture, but is otherwise rather limiting;

The Tusken accessories are obviously designed to be piled-up loosely against each other, for him to "kick down". I was hoping that the Tusken child figure might fit inside the bag/papoose carrier, but it doesn't quite go.

On the positive side, the figure can just about hold his sabre in both hands and looks good when free-standing. He can also look OK when sitting on a bantha/dewback/tauntaun or stride a swoop.

We still need a neutral-posed Anakin, though, preferably with a plastic cloak but certainly with NO GIMMICKS!!

Forhekset
07-13-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by kdp100
Hmm, just taken him out of the packet and can confirm the following:

The magnet isn't painted-over;
Discounting the extremely lame "kick-action" pelvis, there are 11 points of articulation (head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, mid-thighs, right knee-hinge and right lower-leg);
There is NO waist-articulation;
The left leg is permanently bent at the knee, and the lack of pelvic joint means that the only articulation on this leg is halfway down the thigh. This does allow him to stand, and is is fine if you want a "John Wayne" or "Cossack Dance" posture, but is otherwise rather limiting;

The Tusken accessories are obviously designed to be piled-up loosely against each other, for him to "kick down". I was hoping that the Tusken child figure might fit inside the bag/papoose carrier, but it doesn't quite go.

On the positive side, the figure can just about hold his sabre in both hands and looks good when free-standing. He can also look OK when sitting on a bantha/dewback/tauntaun or stride a swoop.

We still need a neutral-posed Anakin, though, preferably with a plastic cloak but certainly with NO GIMMICKS!!

Hmm. So he can just barely hold his sabre in both hands, much like JSP Obi-Wan? And no waist articulation? Plus the magnet isn't even painted over? I dunno, if I buy this Anakin I guess it will just be for the Tusken Raider camp accessory. The figure itself doesn't sound so hot now after hearing from someone who has it. I guess I'll wait and see how I feel once I actually have it in my hands, in a store. I hate gimmicks that limit the poseability of figures....

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 02:22 PM
I can't help but think that this figure should be called "Brother, can you spare me a dime - Anakin." Look at his right hand and see if you agree. :D

bigbarada
07-13-2002, 03:16 PM
It looks like his outercloak is still plastic with a cloth undercloak. Seems to be only put there so it won't interfere with the "kicking feature." Another gimmick laden Anakin, **sigh** who knows maybe there is hope for version #6?:rolleyes:

Although it would seem that, regardless of Hasbro's lies, action features are here to stay.:(

Jargo
07-13-2002, 05:44 PM
*coff coff* hmmm, nice accessovies little Jedi boy but not the hotstuff you pvetend to be are you? Not so hot now little Jedi boy...... I'm cvushing your head, I'm cvushing your head! hahahahaha. :crazed:

KingOfSting
07-13-2002, 06:27 PM
i personally think that this anakin will be very good, however the lack of leg articulation wil hinder it. i think it will be prefect for an arena diorama, as opposed to HD Anakin, who looks too weird with only one saber. also the soft goods doesnt really bother me. at first i didnt really like it but ill reserve final judgment for when i actualy have the figure...however ill probably end up liking it since im a fan of soft goods

kdp100
07-13-2002, 09:12 PM
To be fair, he holds the sabre 2-handed better than the OB1 pilot figure, but the main problem is certainly the lack of articulation at the hip. Poseability seems to be limited based around the left leg (which reminds me of the way in which the POTF2 imperial probe droid figure stands on one leg - those who have it will know what I mean).

IMHO, as a statue this figure looks great, but as an *action* figure I'd say it needs a rethink.

Herby
07-13-2002, 10:47 PM
I personally think this is a beautiful figure. With or without action features, the sculpt is wonderful and I like the use of cloth so his legs still bend. They just keep getting better as far as I'm concerned. I liked the Peasant Anakin with the nifty extending saber. I like the Hanger Duel Anaking more with the cool removable arm and the swiveling hand movement, but this new one out does both of them.

And yes, I am serious, I really liked these figures. I am a severe nonperfectionist and I love it when Hasbro tries new things. I loved the kick back to vintage with the lightsaber coming out of his arm, it brought back great memories!

Sometimes, you really need to try to remember why you are buying toys...it's just fun. I'll take fun over perfect anyday. While you guys are complaining, I'll be shooting my monkey faced leia with R5D4's rocket (which I also loved) and knocking Jango's head off with my **insert repetitive constapation joke here** Mace. Why? Because it's just fun.

That's my rant for this evening!

KingOfSting
07-14-2002, 12:26 AM
i agree with you herby...i too like the action features and must admit that ive found myself using mace's ligthsaber swinging action to decapitate jango and dooku's slashing action to "disarm" hd anakin more than a few times...

manji
07-14-2002, 04:46 PM
I know this is probably a simple question with an obvious answer, but isn't this Anakin's outfit exactly the same outfit as the Hangar Duel Anakin's. Couldn't this figure therefore be considered a resculpt, albeit with new accessories and no removable arm? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't buy resculpts, and this might save me about $5.00 bucks!

KingOfSting
07-14-2002, 08:32 PM
technically it can be considered a resclupt, however this figure can hold a lightsaber with both hands, so if u open ur stuff, u may want to consdier buying TA Anakin

chubbychicken
07-14-2002, 08:37 PM
did hasbro officially release Tatooine attack Anakin already? like is it in stores already? or do the people who own it got it offa ebay or something?

KingOfSting
07-14-2002, 08:42 PM
well i know that teemto pagalies and ki-adi-mundi have been released so i assume that the new collection 1 wave with anakin and darth maul has also been released in stores

KIDD
07-15-2002, 10:19 AM
i have the new anakin and they didnt paint the magnet.When i went to the wizard show 2 weeks ago i asked the hasbro guy y they didnt paint the magnet? and he said because they were having trouble getting the magnet to hold the sabre so without the paint i worked alot better. hope that helps out

gibbspaulus
07-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Ani is very cool - and I've wasted most of this afternoon playing with him!! Thanks to this thread I've found his upper-thigh articulation, although it kind of looks like the leg will snap off if you're not to careful.

He can hold a sabre two-handed if you really work at it, although it makes his right elbow joint get a bit 'gappy'. Anyhoo, I say 'Go Ani' as he's one of the best figures in the range so far!