PDA

View Full Version : does obi-wan ever become a jedi master?

hango fett
07-09-2002, 03:26 PM
or does he just stay a jedi knight?
hango

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 03:32 PM
He never trained Anakin all the way to Knighthood, so Obi-Wan never becomes a Master. He's always a Knight.

DarthBrandon
07-09-2002, 03:39 PM
Hes' still a master in my eyes, he never gets the chance to achieve Jedi master status, cause the Jedi get wiped out.

anarky
07-09-2002, 03:39 PM
i always figured he was the equivalant of a master--but there was no council left to grant him the title--so he died a knight

MikeAndTheBots
07-09-2002, 03:53 PM
I thought once you took an apprentice you were a master. So he was a master since he trained Anakin. Guess I was wrong.

hango fett
07-09-2002, 04:35 PM
i thoguht the same thing as mikeandthebots did.............
we were wrong
hango

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 06:53 PM
No. Your first Padawan has to complete his training before you been a Master.

hango fett
07-09-2002, 07:18 PM
oh..i see...
thanx deadeye!
hango

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Always a pleasure. And to clear up future questions, they called Obi-Wan "Master Kenobi" even though he was only a Knight, because he was Anakin's master.

JediTricks
07-10-2002, 01:44 AM
I believe the current version of "how to become a Jedi Master" thanks to the prequels is to take on 3 padawan learners, not just 1. So unless Obi-Wan taught another Jedi from beyond the grave, he's a Jedi Knight.

DarthBatman
07-10-2002, 02:22 AM
Are you sure? The book says that he is a master. On page 62 of the AOTC novel, it says:

"As Obi Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker stood in the turbolift of the Senate apartment complex, the Jedi Master was indeed pondering such profound universal truths as the subtle change of day to night. Beside him, though, his young Padawan certainly was not."

Am I wrong, or does that call Obi Wan a Jedi Master?

DeadEye
07-10-2002, 08:53 AM
Then it's just wrong. It said it because he's a Jedi, and he's Anakin's Master.

JT, are you sure about the 3 Padawan rule? Because in Ep1, Ki-Adi-Mundi was still a Knight on the Council because he had "not yet taken on a Padawan learner" and in Ep2 he was a Master because he had "since trained a Padawan to Knighthood."

El Chuxter
07-10-2002, 01:06 PM
You don't have to have an apprentice, or three apprentices, to become a Jedi Master.

Saessee Tiin never took a Padawan, yet he is a Master.

Qui-Gon Jinn had two Padawans (according to some sources, three). Xanatos fell to the Dark Side and Obi-Wan became a Knight after Qui-Gon died, but Qui-Gon was a Master. (A third Padawan who came before Xanatos would explain this one, but that "fact" seems to have gone the way of Qui-Gon's alien Master from the TPM novelization.)

MFH
07-10-2002, 09:33 PM
"I was once a Jedi Knight, the same as your father." Obi Wan says that in ANH. He told Luke he was a Jedi Knight. He never used the term "Jedi Master" until ESB, when he was talking about Yoda. Of course, even if he did become a Jedi Master, he was a Jedi Knight first. So, what he told Luke was true, "From a certain point of view."

DarthSetnom
07-11-2002, 12:56 AM
Obi-Wan is kind of in a hurry so he probably doesn't have enought time to teach Luke Jedi History 101... and He is a Master, after all he does have a padawan.

Also, Yoda said Anakin was a knight... a Jedi. He never said he was a Jedi learner or anything like that.

JediTricks
07-11-2002, 02:23 AM
Hmm, looks like it's changed on sw.com, but I'm pretty sure that's where I read it. Anyway, as of AOTC, this is what it says:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/organization/thejediorder/index.html

The next level of rank in the Jedi order is the Jedi Master, reserved for those who have shown exceptional devotion and skill in the Force. It is from the ranks of the Jedi Masters that the High Council is chosen, which is the main interface between the Jedi and the government of the Republic.

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure how to interpret what Vader is saying in relation to Kenobi, saying "I was once but the learner, now I am the master."
Does that reveal anyting, do you think?

DeadEye
07-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Yeah, because now Vader isn't a Padawan learner, but a Dark Lord of the Sith.

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Yeah, because now Vader isn't a Padawan learner, but a Dark Lord of the Sith.
I meant does it reveal anythingabout Obi Wans status, do you think was he a master then, by the fact that Vader would declare himself a master now.

DeadEye
07-11-2002, 08:24 PM
He's a Knight and always has been--but he was the "Master" of Anakin because he was his teacher.

chewie
07-11-2002, 09:28 PM
I thought to become a jedi master, you had to go through the jedi "trials", which was mentioned at least once or twice in AOTC.

Anakin felt that Obi-Wan was jealous of his ability and felt that he should take the trials and pass them before Obi-Wan, at least according to the movie. So I took that to mean that a successful passing of the trials makes you a jedi master.

I just imagined jedi trials as like tests of jedi skill and stamina, not training a padawan to knighthood.

DeadEye
07-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Actually, the trials are in fact required for a Padawan to be promoted to Knight. Obi-Wan was an exception because he defeated a Sith Lord in combat and so he didn't need to take the damn trials...:D

Darth Vellner
07-18-2002, 03:43 PM
He is General Kenobi.......I think he leaves the jedi order...maybe he joins count dooku on some dam ideliestic crusade and convinces ani to join them. remember uncle owen thinks luke will do the same and dooku is a political idealiest

anarky
07-18-2002, 03:46 PM
"i was once a jedi knight, the same as your father"

not "i am a jedi knight"

vellner, you may be onto something! obi-wan and bail joining dooku in the clone wars--he may have been telling the truth in aotc and want to save the republic from sidious--but using the dark side to do it--if anakin is forced to choose between the separatists (who cut off his arm, hate his wife, and are against his hero palpatine), that could definitely explain a lot!!

Pendo
07-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by anarky
"i was once a jedi knight, the same as your father"

not "i am a jedi knight"

vellner, you may be onto something! obi-wan and bail joining dooku in the clone wars--he may have been telling the truth in aotc and want to save the republic from sidious--but using the dark side to do it--if anakin is forced to choose between the separatists (who cut off his arm, hate his wife, and are against his hero palpatine), that could definitely explain a lot!!

I always thought Obi-Wan says that because he left to order after Anakin turned to the Dark Side. He became one of the "Lost 21". But that is an interesting theory, but I doubht Dooku was telling the truth, he is helping Palpatine take control of the galaxy.

PENDO!

Darth Vellner
07-19-2002, 02:00 PM
I think Dooku is using Palpatine .........it keep the sith off his back
and if he was or is a political idealiest I dont think he could be 100% in agreament with the sith ways, he is just using its power to try and restore the Republic, I think he will suprise everyone in the next movie!!!!

El Chuxter
07-19-2002, 02:52 PM
"I was once a Jedi Knight. . . ."

It could be veeeeerrrrrry interesting if Dooku is an idealist. If Obi-Wan joins him in the Clone Wars, only Dooku would know Sidious' double identity. We only know for sure that Obi-Wan served Bail in the Clone Wars, but Bail is supposed to have been one of the leading opponents of Palpatine at some point around that time. And, like anarky said, Anakin would almost be forced to oppose his old master were this the case.

It would also be ironic if Anakin confronts Dooku under Sidious' supervision (as I suspect will happen in a parallel to the final duel in ROTJ). When Anakin kills Dooku (not a spoiler, but we already know only one of the two walks away from E3), it would completely screw up Dooku's plans to fix the problems in the Republic. And lend a lot more weight to Yoda's, "Once you start down the path to the Dark Side, forever will it dominate your path."

It certainly wouldn't be what we're expecting, but it would be a pretty intricate plot twist for what's supposed to be the darkest of the SW films.

TheDarthVader
07-22-2002, 07:54 PM
He is a Jedi Knight. Looking at the Trilogy sourcebook (for role playing), where it says "type" Obi is listed as "Jedi Knight". And yes, the Emperor is stronger in the force than Yoda. Looking in the sourcebook here are the main force abilities:

Emperor: control 13D sense 15D alter 14D
Yoda: control 14D sense 13D alter 10D

DarthBatman
07-31-2002, 01:04 PM
You're saying that some dumb RPG book says that Palpy is stronger than Yoda? Bah! Yoda is and always will be the strongest Force user in the galaxy.

darthvyn
07-31-2002, 06:59 PM
i do feel that dooku's intentions were that of destroying the sith from the inside out, but remember that once you go down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

they also don't know that sidious is behind all this stuff, and i think they will assume that dooku is the dark lord behind all this. i don't think obi-wan will join dooku's side, after being sliced a couple of times, and almost killed at the hand of dooku. at the end of AOC, yoda says that dooku is deceitful about his claims that sidious is running the republic - they really feel that dooku is the mastermind here. the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the galaxy he didn't exist - or maybe that someone else is the devil...

so, no, i don't see any team up with dooku and obi-wan.

hayden's_hunnie
08-02-2002, 02:27 PM
at the end of TPM, yoda say " grant you the rank of jedi knight the councill does, but agree with taking this boy as your padawan i do not" i might be wrong here but, mace, ( that i know of) has never had an apprentis, but he s still the leading member of the jedi council, is he not)

Captain Trips
08-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Just because it's never alluded to doesn't mean MW has NEVER had an apprentice. I'm sure at some point he has, but it's just not crucial to the story to tell us anything about that.

EU may answer this in more detail, but EU isn't canonical either.

hayden's_hunnie
08-03-2002, 04:49 PM
well, sorry, dont be so snobby, just a thought about MW

Captain Trips
08-05-2002, 09:04 AM
Apologies if that sounded snobby. Just trying to answer your question.

hayden's_hunnie
08-07-2002, 06:30 AM
k

Jonna
08-07-2002, 06:35 AM
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!
Oh you like that do ya!?! Well, here is some supper for ya:
KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hail to the king, baby!

hayden's_hunnie
08-07-2002, 10:02 AM
what on earth are you on about, have you lost your mind, i ment okay, it is like when you say, " will you go the shop for me" and you reply " k, if i have to"

WEIRDO