View Full Version : Batman Vs. Superman

Jonna
07-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Has anyone else seen this:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/09/film.petersen.reut/index.html

Beast
07-09-2002, 05:24 PM
*Watches WB run both franchises into the ground*

Wow, I have a bad feeling about this. A giant 2-hour Superhero ****ing contest between Bats and Supes. :rolleyes: :p And does anyone else shudder at the following line, that sounds like he's considering Matt Damon as Supes or Bats. :eek:

In particular, Petersen pointed to "The Bourne Identity" star Matt Damon as "an interesting action man and a hell of an actor."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
07-09-2002, 05:26 PM
i think it's kinda funny that peterson's talking like this is his idea, that no one's realized the difference in these characters before. maybe he saw too much "superfriends." bruce timm and paul dini did this matchup in the batman/superman cartoons perfectly. not that they were the first, either, but one of the best...

it would be cool if they got them to write it and art direct it... imagine a live-action batman/superman movie, that looks and sounds like the animated series! that would be huge! that would be so sweeeet i'd crap my pants, then head-butt my dog until we both screamed!

DarthBrandon
07-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Sounds pretty dumb to me, Superman Vs Batman, Geeze WB just does not know what they are doing. These guys are both good and should be fighting evil not each other. Dumb-A** Idea in my books. I wish some of us were running the show, at least we would have the sense not to do something this Dumb.

Beast
07-09-2002, 05:33 PM
It's to bad that the "Superman Lives" movie apperantly crashed and burned. I've read the script treatment that Kevin Smith prepared for it, and it would have been an excellent Supes movie. This just sounds terrible. They need to get Tim Burton and Michael Keaton back into the Batman franchise. Maybe redeem it from the horrible 3rd and 4th movie. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jonna
07-09-2002, 05:34 PM
Now staring Bruce Campell as Superman and Chris Elliott as an effeminate Batman
Also staring Gilbert Gottfree as the BoyWonder

Now that I would see....

Jason B
07-09-2002, 06:08 PM
The comics and the anamated series are a lot better than the movies are anyway. Batman Forever was all right, but the other ones were terrible, other than the first one. The car was the most realistic out of them. ;)

Darth Sinister
07-09-2002, 06:55 PM
Bruce Campbell as Superman.........groovy!!!

Seriously, ASH would kick those two primative screwheads to the curb.

Why can't they do The Dark Knight Returns....great story and a Batman, Superman fight at the end. Would be great to get Keaton to do it too!!!

Jedi Knightrider
07-09-2002, 07:02 PM
I think David Hasselhoff should play Batman. I mean, he's been Micheal Knight, so why not the Dark Knight. I think he and Bruce Campbell would play off each other really well. I hope the Batmobile is a Trans Am!:D

DarthBrandon
07-09-2002, 07:56 PM
I hope they have Matt Damon as scatman and Ben Affleck as Superchump. The best duo in hollywood according to them.

Lobito
07-09-2002, 08:39 PM
Supes vs. Batman?? I'll give them a tie so they can play as the bad guys performing the Empire.

Seriously...a tie.:D

DarthBrandon
07-09-2002, 09:09 PM
I hope it never happens, could be bad for both series.

die-jarjar-die
07-09-2002, 09:16 PM
JarJarBinks......

Dude, you say you read a treatment for Kevin Smiths Superman film? Sweet as! Where the hell did ya find that? Can you point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks

The JarJarMustDie

The True Maul
07-09-2002, 09:25 PM
I agree with Jason B!!!!:)

Jedi Knightrider
07-09-2002, 09:27 PM
I don't know, I kind of would like to see Schumacher make this movie.

die-jarjar-die
07-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Knightrider
I don't know, I kind of would like to see Schumacher make this movie.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Man you are too funny!

Oh please stop it!

You're killing me!

Beast
07-09-2002, 09:43 PM
I don't have the site bookmarked that had the treatment, but I believe this is it. Since the things that I remeber check out in the script. I will keep looking though, just in case. :)

http://members.tripod.com/ajeewa/movies/superman-lives.txt

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

die-jarjar-die
07-09-2002, 09:50 PM
Im off to have a darn good old read now!

Many thanks for that

Cheers

D-JJ-D

:)

Beast
07-09-2002, 10:28 PM
Here is a link from ViewAskew that has some artwork that someone did based on Kevin Smith's Superman Lives script. The first link goes to his main page about Superman, the second one gets you directly to the artwork. Looks like it would have been really good, to bad the studio tossed out Smith's Script. :(

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/4594/superman/play.htm

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Cafe/4594/superman/movieposter.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SWAFMAN
07-10-2002, 12:49 AM
here's another story about the planned movie.....

Warner Bros. plans 'Superman vs. Batman' movie (http://www.sacbee.com/state_wire/story/3509597p-4535751c.html)

probably nothing new in this, but I saw it and thought I'd share it....

RooJay
07-10-2002, 07:43 AM
If they do it right it could be great, but what're the chances of that?:rolleyes: Either way, I think a team-up film is the wrong way to go with what could very easily make for two really great, seperate franchises. I'd like to see Batman: Year One and John Byrne's Man of Steel adapted into films, and then spun into franchises first. Then maybe they could consider doing a team-up for the third or fourth sequel of each.

Jason B
07-10-2002, 05:50 PM
OK, now, who do you think will win? $20 on The Bat. :D

Beast
07-10-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Jason B
OK, now, who do you think will win? $20 on The Bat. :D
I would have to go with Supes, unless Batman played dirty and whipped out some Kryptonite. Of course all Superman has to do to win is grab Batman and fly out into to space, where Bats can't breath. Or just crush his head between his hands, or numerous other ways to simply kill him. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jason B
07-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Yep, he has kryptonite. He has plans on how take all of the members of the JLA down, just in case they go insane.

die-jarjar-die
07-10-2002, 08:19 PM
oo sweet stuff thanks for all those links JJB! nice going!

& good stuff on that link SWAFMAN...could be good if done well!

RooJay
07-10-2002, 10:20 PM
My money is always on the Bat. Superman would always be confined by the rules and Batman always has a plan. To my knowledge Batman has come out on top in every fight the two have ever had together in the comics.;)

Geonosian
07-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Okay, Batman will be the bad guy...:frus:
It will be intresting to see who wins at the end of the fil!
BTW Jonna who is that on your avartar...? Is it Anakin?

Eternal Padawan
07-11-2002, 09:44 AM
I thought Jonna's new avatar was David Boreanz, AKA Angel, the spin off vampire of Buffy:Vampire Hunter and star of the "horror" movie Valentine. But then, I thought Jonna's first avatar was a blue CHICK. So what do I know? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what to think about a Supes/Bats movie. but what really scared me was Wolfgang working on "Ender's Game" after he's done with this one...NOOOOOO!!! I wanted to make the Ender's Game movie. Darnit. :mad:

Jonna
07-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
I thought Jonna's new avatar was David Boreanz, AKA Angel, the spin off vampire of Buffy:Vampire Hunter and star of the "horror" movie Valentine. But then, I thought Jonna's first avatar was a blue CHICK. So what do I know? :rolleyes:

If you people are going to talk about me behind my back, do it infront of my face.:crazed: Actually it is John from Farscape. I know, but it was the best pic I could find.

Darth Shifty
07-11-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
My money is always on the Bat. Superman would always be confined by the rules and Batman always has a plan. To my knowledge Batman has come out on top in every fight the two have ever had together in the comics.;)

Have they fought in comics other than the Dark Knight Returns series?

I think it will be a kind of draw between the two, with neither one being the clear victor. I was hoping it was going to be the Dark Knight Returns story, but if they are going to try to fit this story in with the continuity of the Superman and Batman movies it's not possible. All of Batman's enemies in the comic have been killed off in the movies.

SithDroid
07-11-2002, 11:27 AM
Ok, if this movie gets made, it is going to suck. Quite frankly WB is trying to capitalize off of the whole comic book movie genre that is now getting made, and unfortunately they are going about it all the wrong way. They messed up the Batman movies, the first two were really good and then after that the others just sucked and now it is too hard to straighten them out. I really would like to know who is running things at WB because lately theyhave been doing a horrible job. The only movies that I am even excited about seeing from them are Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets and the next two Matrix films. When will WB learn.

RooJay
07-11-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Darth Shifty
Have they fought in comics other than the Dark Knight Returns series?

They fought again recently in the DarK Knight Strikes Again (it didn't last very long, and Supes had his butt handed to him), and Superman was recently taken out of commission by Ra's Al Ghul using Batman's strategies in the JLA comic. I'm sure they've gone at it a couple times before, though I can't seem to recall where.

I highly doubt any new Batman or Superman film projects will pick up the continuity of any of the previous films. WB has stated on numerous occasions that their intent is to start over completely with both properties.

scruffziller
07-12-2002, 10:28 PM
Henry Rollins would make a good Superman, you seen him in the video he had his suit on, it would work.

morecow299
07-14-2002, 12:27 AM
first of all superman would completely crush batman so there is no competition.
second it would probably have a very weak plot and no acting talent.
third DC sucks!

MFH
07-14-2002, 02:53 PM
Matt Damon is a stupid choice for either role. And what does Sept. 11 have to do with Superman and Batman?

JON9000
07-14-2002, 09:13 PM
I always thought the key to the comic properties is getting an actor who first and foremost can pull off the civilian identity. Keaton as Bruce Wayne, Tobey Macguire as Peter Parker, and of course the greatest, Christopher Reeve as Superman. Hugh Jackman was good as well.

Those who are not thoroughly familiar with the characters, like Wolfgang Peterson, apparently, are doomed to screw up the casting. And you better not count on the studio execs- bacause they almost vetoed Mcguire. I like Damon, but he is completely wrong for Batman.

I sat Bruce Willis as Batman and - well- I just can't picture anyone except Reeve. Maybe some other unknown?

SithDroid
07-15-2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by morecow299
third DC sucks!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

SithDroid
07-15-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
Henry Rollins would make a good Superman, you seen him in the video he had his suit on, it would work.

Um, no.

derek
07-15-2002, 01:49 AM
i can't remember where i read this, maybe it was dark horizons, but the report said christian bale(american pshcho) is almost a lock for the batman role.

JON9000
07-15-2002, 02:08 AM
I just think he's too young. When I think of Batman, I think of 40-45. I'd rather see Adam West come out of retirement

DarthBatman
07-15-2002, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by darthvyn
that would be huge! that would be so sweeeet i'd crap my pants, then head-butt my dog until we both screamed!

Dude... What the heck? That's wrong...

wedgeA
07-15-2002, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by morecow299
third DC sucks!

1) Don't agree there, have you read Dark Knight Returns?
2) Well...you got that right.
3) Sorry, but again, gotta disagree, they put out great stuff, such as JSA, The Flash, Hawkman, The Legion, and Green Arrow. On the other hand, the only thing Marvel puts out that's worth the paper its printed on is The Ultimates.

Geonosian
07-15-2002, 05:22 AM

I'm not sure what to think about a Supes/Bats movie. but what really scared me was Wolfgang working on "Ender's Game" after he's done with this one...NOOOOOO!!! I wanted to make the Ender's Game movie. Darnit. :mad: Well it looks like Anakin.......sort of.:cool:

darthvyn
07-15-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by DarthBatman

Dude... What the heck? That's wrong...

sorry if you find that offensive or inappropriate.

Originally posted by wedgeA

3) Sorry, but again, gotta disagree, they put out great stuff, such as JSA, The Flash, Hawkman, The Legion, and Green Arrow. On the other hand, the only thing Marvel puts out that's worth the paper its printed on is The Ultimates.

Daredevil, Amazing Spider-man, Alias, Spider-man's Tangled Web, the new X-Force, which is being re-named and re-started, are all great Marvel reads, as well... ultimates is incredible, though... did you read #5 yet? just amazing!

wedgeA
07-16-2002, 07:41 PM
darthvyn,

Forgot about Amazing SM, that is a really good title. Tried the rest except for Tancled web, but they did not capture my interest.
X Force is going another rehaul, Milligan is still new on the book.

I did read Ultimates #5 and it rocked, probably one of the best single issues out this year, writing and art are top notch, and the book has a great sense of humor.

RooJay
07-19-2002, 01:04 AM
I agree with your comments totally wedgeA. I have been reading comics for well over twenty years now. I have read tons of Marvel AND tons of DC. I currently spend thirty to thirty-five dollars a week on comics. I have just never been able to get into Marvel comics the way I have DC. I understand a lot of people see otherwise, but for my money it's DC all the way! Plus, from comments I've always heard from die hard Marvel fans, I tend to believe that a lot of them have never even given DC a chance! Don't knock it if ya don't know it! ;) :D

wedgeA
07-19-2002, 04:34 AM
Roojay,

I became a DC fan after reading Crisis. That masterpiece showed me that DC was willing to take major chances, and the stuff that followed have kept me hooked. Currently, the new takes on JSA and Legion are great reads.

I like the Marvel characters, but in other mediums. I enjoyed the Spiderman and X Men movies much more than their current comics. To me, Marvel is still defnied by Lee, Kirby, Ditko, Thomas, Romita Sr, et al.

JediCole
07-20-2002, 11:15 PM

I became a DC fan after reading Crisis. That masterpiece showed me that DC was willing to take major chances, and the stuff that followed have kept me hooked. Currently, the new takes on JSA and Legion are great reads.

Wow, the Crisis (in its orignal print run) was the point where I started buying comics on a regular basis! Prior to that I bought some Byrne-era X-Men and a few other (Marvel only) titles here and there. And of course Star Wars, the first (and for many years, only) comic I ever bought on a monthly basis!

But, as for the upcoming movie, Batman vs. Superman, it seems that some here have only partly read the articles at hand. I fail to see anything that suggests that Petersen is trying to take credit for conceiving this kind of friction of in philosphies that is core to the plot. The article itself seems to suggest that Peterson falls just short of having created the characters of Batman and Superman, but I don't find anything in the actual quotes that should paint him as self agrandizing. I also take issue with the suggestion that Warner is simply "jumping on the super-hero movie bandwagon". I seem to recall that the first FOUR Superman films (though the third and fourth do not count) and the first FOUR Batman films (again, three and four don't count) predate even the FIRST X-Men movie (the first real Marvel super-hero property film worth a mention, and yes, I am deliberatly excluding Blade as he is only on the fringe of that which is officially considered the super-hero genre) by a MINIMUM of a few YEARS, if not a DECADE or more. Warner didn't just wake up the morning after Spider-Man broke box-office records and declare, "We've got some super-heroes, lets make a movie!"

And now to that which we know. If you want to see some real, reliable, and often in-depth coverage of upcoming films, check out Ain't it Cool News (www.aintitcoolnews.com). This site reports on pretty much every film in pre-production, production, or release in pretty much the entire world. As a result, you have to do some looking, or check it out daily to find out the news on any specific film. But the upside is this. The DO NOT REPORT RUMORS. As a rule, wherever possible, everything they report is confirmed. This is not to say that some of their spies have not managed to let a rumor slip in here and there, but if they do, nothing they report, no matter how well known or confirmed, will ever be posted to the site again. So it is in all of thier spies best interest to check their facts. This was where I first heard that there would be a Superman and Batman film, originally touted as "Worlds Finest" (the title of the old Superman/Batman team-up comic). That the project shifted gears to a "vs." motif does not distress me in the least. I have long thought that this would make a smasing film. Especially if they have a Production Designer worth his or her salt. Someone who understands the visual dichotmy that has to exist in this production. Metropolis should be New York City Plus! It should be a clean, proud, gleaming city of art-deco, steel, glass, and marble. This is in direct contrast with the overbuilt, brooding, dark, and unfriendly feel of Gotham City. Thusly the cities themselves reflect the nature of their champions. Superman is driven by a strong belief in the American Way, and the potntial of man. Batman is driven by guilt and mistrust and sees crime-fighting as a war, in the truest sense of the word. Hopefulyl the script will explore a kind of terriorial battle as the two heroes try to impose thier philosophies on each other's cieies and each others unique foes. I've not heard any specifics on any villains that may be inluded, but I think that Joker and Lutor are the ideal choices if you want to keep it simple.

It has been no secret in recent years that Jack Nicholson is chomping at the bit to reprise his role as the Joker. And if Warner is determined to rescue the Batman franchise, they need to just say that the previous films have nothing to do with the new ones. It is also no secret that George Clooney has already signed to appear in two more Batman films. However, since it appears that both Bats and Supes have solo films in development, which I have read elswhere are independant of the plot in Batman vs. Superman, it is open to conjecture exactly which Batman film he may appear in. And on a deeply personal note, I would love to see Christopher Walken play Luthor against a Nicholson Joker. The monotone juxtaposed against the manic!

In the long run, I would hope that Warner is taking some cues from the Marvel-based films. X-Men proved a "group" film could not only work, but it could be done without being bogged down. And Spider-Man proved that you can have a super-hero film that is engaging, intellegent, and witty and sometimes you just have to gloss over a few things (like exactly how did Peter Parker manage to take his Spidey costume design from a scribble of Sharpies on filler paper to a sophisticated body suit?) and the audience will simply take that as read. From that standpoint, I think that Warner can learn a lot from what's come our most recently. Sadly I fear that this may not be the case.

You see, WEEKS before Batman vs. Superman was announced, and about the time that Spider-Man was shattering box office records and studio expectations, Warner announced their first "super-hero" project since Batman Forever. Was it a live-action Justice League movie? NO. Perhaps Green Arrow or Green Lantern? NO! How about the long awaited Watchmen adaptation. Forget it! No, read it and weep, greenlit for production it's ...<gasp>

THE WONDER TWINS!

File that fact away for future box-office poison. What posessed Warners to think for a moment that anyone, anywhere was anxiously awaiting a less-than-dynamic duo who can take on the shape of a pangolin and the form of an ice-awl. (Hows that for an obscure use of equally obscure powers?)

wedgeA
07-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Aint-it-cool-news is reporting that Colin Farrell has been cast as Batman and Jude Law as Superman, both solid actors. At least this project has a chance.

Jonna
07-24-2002, 03:59 PM
Check it out:

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,321972~1~0~holyfranchiseinsidebatman,00.htm l

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

RooJay
07-24-2002, 06:11 PM
I could see that.
Both of those guys are really great actors. Neither of them would've been my first choice for those roles, but now that I hear it, I'm really confident that these guys could pull it off (depending on a good script AND good direction!). The only thing that would bother me would be seeing Jude Law as a blonde haired Superman. Call me a stickler, but even Chris Reeves' brown hair as Superman always kind of bothered me. Law is gonna have to dye his hair to trly win me over.;)

SithDroid
07-24-2002, 06:16 PM
Johnny Depp won't accept the part. He actually does GREAT movies and not cr@p which this movie will probably be. Paul Walker is a horrible actor, so they'll probably choose him since the WB no longer has any sense of casting accordingly and since they will want to attract the Fast and the Furious type audience. James Franco, sorry, but he's taken for Spider-man and I doubt he would accept another role. Jude Law, not a bad choice, although he'd have to bulk up quite a bit. Colin Farrell, isn't he already taken for Daredevil. Why does WB want to re-use people who are already in other Superhero movies? I've given up all hope of this project. I'm sure it will probably make a lot of money, but it is bound to be a huge disappointment.

darthvyn
07-24-2002, 06:33 PM
Aint-it-cool-news is reporting that Colin Farrell has been cast as Batman and Jude Law as Superman, both solid actors. At least this project has a chance.

i'm already impressed with their performances in the past, and looking at their pics on www.imdb.com (international movie database, for those that don't know...) and imagining them in the costumes... this could actually be good, as long as the script is done right... none of this is confirmed yet, though, right?

RooJay
07-24-2002, 07:16 PM
In my experience, Ain't it Cool News seldom, if ever, reports rumors. I'm willing to bet that if they're reporting it (and not reporting it as a rumor) that it's pretty much a done deal.

SWAFMAN
07-26-2002, 07:56 PM
just heard that Jude Law will be the new Superman.

he wasn't anyone I'd have guessed for the part....

I still would like to see brendan fraser.

Maybe Jude will get peeved that they don't bring him his cappuccino hot enough or with the just right amount of madagascar cinnamon, and he'll walk off the project.

darthvyn
07-28-2002, 02:08 PM
www.darkhorizons.com says the law/farrel reports are premature...

Batman vs. Superman: One rather surprising rumour has sadly been shot down. Yesterday, Aint It Cool indicated 26-year old Irish actor Colin Farrell ("Minority Report") will be Batman and 29-year-old English actor Jude Law ("A.I.: Artificial Intelligence") is Superman. Not long after though, Warners denied the comments: "The roles have NOT been cast yet, they are still seeing other actors in casting next week. Jude Law and Colin Farrell are very definitely in the running but nothing has been locked yet". Thanks to 'Jediyuth', 'Captain Howdy' & 'FanHalen'.

here's the link if'n ya don't believe me...

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/020725.htm

(gotta scroll down a little bit - next to the article there are funny composites of the two dressed as the heroes...)

not to say that they aren't good choices. i'm diggin it the more i think about it... i just feel that it's definitely too early to say that they are absolutely cast for the roles...

Eternal Padawan
08-14-2002, 09:19 AM
Jude Law is out.

Josh Hartnett (for now) is in.

Discuss.

ROLLO!

icatch9
08-14-2002, 11:57 AM
I just don't see it. I like JH as an actor, but not as Superman. It's such a hard role to fill. When people say "your the man" they are referning to Superman, now JH is "the man", I don't think so :(. I guess we'll see. I never thought Beetlejuice....I mean Michael Keton would make a good Batman, but turned out he was the best batman ever. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think Matt Damon would make a good Batman. Again, I really love his movies and his acting (I've watched Rounders about 20 times), but he's no Batman. He could pull off Green Lantern or maybe Aqua Man, but not Batman. Hell, anyone is better than George Cloony. I'd rather have Mike Myers play Bats than George Cloony.

A good dark storyline would make up for any poor acting choices. All the best superhero movies have dark overtones. I bet DD and The Hulk are dark too, they won't be kids comic stories like Batman 4. X Men rocked and it wasn't kid oreinted at all, same with Spiderman.

RooJay
08-14-2002, 06:49 PM
Again, Josh Hartnett isn't my first choice for Superman, although I'm sure he' do a really good job. He bares a striking resemblance to Superman artist Ed McGuiness' version of the character (aside from the mass!). I even think he'd bulk up pretty easily; he's a pretty big guy as it is. His acting skills are good enough for the part, I think. I was excited to see what Jude Law would bring to the character, but now that he's no longer in the running I think I'd much rather see the role go to Brendan Fraser. I'm sure I will easily warm to the idea of Hartnett as Supes in time. The only other problem is that if Colin Farrell does end up cast as Batman, I'll be a bit concerned with how he'll stack up physically next to Hartnett.

I'm interested in seeing Farrell as Batman, but I still think Billy Zane would be a good choice. He's definitely capable of pulling off the physically imposing nature of the character.

By the way, George Clooney would've been perfect as Batman if he'd been given any kind of chance at it with a decent director (one that respected the character) and a decent, faithful script.

Eternal Padawan
08-14-2002, 08:39 PM
My initial reaction was Huh?!?

I like Josh Hartnett also, but he's got such a boyish look to him. Can he pull off Supes? He's also kind of a quiet actor. Almost meek. Good enough to do Clark Kent, but can he have the "presence" onscreen to pull off Supes?

And Colin Farrell's outstanding performance in Tigerland has been tempered by the mediocrity of Minority Report, and the hideousness of American Outlaws. He seems laidback, devil may care in most of his performances. Can he play the driven, tormented Bruce Wayne?

We shall see.

ROLLO!

RooJay
08-19-2002, 04:32 PM
I like Josh Hartnett also, but he's got such a boyish look to him. Can he pull off Supes? He's also kind of a quiet actor. Almost meek. Good enough to do Clark Kent, but can he have the "presence" onscreen to pull off Supes?

That's my concern as well. He's gonna need a lot of good direction to pull it off, and I'm just not certainly he'll get that in a project like this. No offense to the director.

And Colin Farrell's outstanding performance in Tigerland has been tempered by the mediocrity of Minority Report, and the hideousness of American Outlaws. He seems laidback, devil may care in most of his performances. Can he play the driven, tormented Bruce Wayne?

I've been thinking Wes Bentley (American Beauty, The Claim) might make a much better choice for a Batman in this age range (obviously the producers want to start off very early in these heroes' careers). He has the look, in my opinion, and certainly has the intensity (man can this guy ever pull off tormented!). He might make for a much better foil to Hartnett's Superman than Farrell, if Hartnett is cast. In fact, I'm thinking now that Hartnett might be a pretty good choice when cast against Bentley. This would put the characters depictions at greater extremes; Hartnett as the very innocent, naive, boy scout Superman, and Wes Bentley as the ultimate dark, tormented, driven young Batman. Hmm...I'm liking this idea... somebody get me the head of Warner Brothers!

Tycho
12-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Well, whatever happened to Batman Vs. Superman?

This thread was lost in obscurity and the casting choice news is really amusing to read in retrospect.

No one had really considered Christian Bale or Brandon Routhe at the time - and the names tossed like Collin Ferrel and Josh Hartnett are truly laughable.

What the heck were people thinking?

Michael Keaton still commands a lot of respect as Batman I can see. He was really, really good.

Anyway, was there a Superman vs. Batman or Batman vs. Superman movie ever done? Is it still on the backburner to eventually be executed by Bale and Routhe?

What's going on?

El Chuxter
12-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Nothing, so far as I know.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=32312&highlight=&#37;22world%27s+finest%22

JediTricks
12-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Nothing, so far as I know.

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=32312&highlight=%22world%27s+finest%22
This is a little different from a World's Finest Team-up though because this is pure "Versus" where that one they go head-to-head but then team up.

Anyway, this project has been a non-starter for a decade, stuck in pre-production hell at Warner Bros, it's been fodder for schoolyard discussion such as this but is incredibly unlikely to actually happen.

El Chuxter
12-27-2006, 08:53 PM
"Versus" would not work.

Period.

For one thing, both have too great a fanbase to have a true victor of any sort. And calling it "Batman Vs Superman," and having them beat up each other for 85 minutes before finding out Lex Luthor's behind everything, well, it's a cheap shot.

It would have to be World's Finest. Two heroes who stand for the same values, but are opposites in almost every way imaginable: superpowered/limits of normal human physiology, last son of a doomed planet granted superpowers and the upbringing to use them for good/spoiled son of a slain philanthropist constantly hammering in bad guys' heads in a vain attempt to satisfy his own demons, bright and overt/dark and mysterious, mild-mannered reporter/millionaire playboy, etc, etc, etc. And, yet, close friends, or at least the closest anyone can be "friends" with Batman.

Given the more intellectual slant of the last Superman and Batman movies, this could truly be a masterpiece.

But a slugfest? No freakin' way.

Tycho
12-28-2006, 01:17 AM
I agree with El Chuxter, however in marketing sensationalism that goes along with comic tradition, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the title Batman vs. Superman anyway.

People would be curious and fan discussion - even about how inappropriate the title was - would follow with every exit of an audience after a screening.

DarkArtist
12-28-2006, 08:24 AM
in order for a good fight sequence to happen Batman would have to break out the kryptonic Bat-Suit to stand of chance of even hurting Superman. I know I spelt that wrong but hey it's early in the morning.

El Chuxter
12-28-2006, 11:10 AM
That reminds me: the film should end with Superman entrusting the last remaining piece of Kryptonite to his new ally.

Tycho
12-28-2006, 01:50 PM
How can there ever be a "last remaining piece of Kryptonite?" It was scattered all over Smallville. Even if some device was made to radiate Kryptonian elements specifically, not all of it is in the wild any more. The Luthors and others have taken an interest in seeing to that.

El Chuxter
12-28-2006, 02:43 PM
In the comic, very, very few fragments of Krypton survived (basically, they realized when they rebooted the character in 86 that kryptonite had become a major deux-ex-machina). Only one was known to have landed on Earth, which was the power source for the original Metallo cyborg. When Superman was able to get this fragment into his own hands, some time later, he entrusted it to the one man he trusted to safeguard it and, if necessary, use it: Batman.

The case in the film universe would probably be similar. As far as I can remember (and I'm not re-watching 3 or 4), the only fragments were found in Adis Ababa. Of course, given the whole dealio with New Krypton, there could be far more now.

JetsAndHeels
12-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Of course, given the whole dealio with New Krypton, there could be far more now.

Good point, but New Krypton is in the far reaches of space now. Unless someone went out that far to retrieve it (which I do not know if that is even possible) that batch of Kryptonite is long gone.

El Chuxter
12-29-2006, 01:02 AM
It may be in space, but would it be physically possible to uproot an entire continent and throw it into space without some pieces falling to earth?

I'm just saying, is all.

(God, this is pathetic. :D)

DarkArtist
12-29-2006, 08:24 AM
How can there ever be a "last remaining piece of Kryptonite?" It was scattered all over Smallville. Even if some device was made to radiate Kryptonian elements specifically, not all of it is in the wild any more. The Luthors and others have taken an interest in seeing to that.

Well let's not forget the horror of Superman III and the creation of the computer that creates the kryptonite ray. Lex Luthor would make something like this.
also you got the Joker from World's Finest finding the Jade Dragon and realizing that's it's Kryptonite. writers have a funny way of making something that is destroyed or thought to be long gone see the light of day again. if the Lex Luthor of Superman Returns can find a way to re-create a lost world and the one thing that can kill Superman then anything is possible.

LTBasker
12-29-2006, 09:03 AM
It may be in space, but would it be physically possible to uproot an entire continent and throw it into space without some pieces falling to earth?

I'm just saying, is all.

(God, this is pathetic. :D)

Tons of large chunks were falling off the bottom although that could have been mostly regular land to seperate him and the kryptonite until it started growing through. Still, some likely did fall off.

Plus:
-Lois threw the shard from Supes' back into the ocean.
-The hospital removed a fragment from his back.
-Lex broke the large shard in half when he impaled Supes and didn't throw the other piece away.
-There was tons of excess kryptonite left when they made that cylinder which was done in the mansion's basement, so all that could still exist.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 08:30 PM
"Versus" would not work.

Period.

For one thing, both have too great a fanbase to have a true victor of any sort. And calling it "Batman Vs Superman," and having them beat up each other for 85 minutes before finding out Lex Luthor's behind everything, well, it's a cheap shot.Alien vs Predator proved that sadly, people will still go - it cost $45mil and made $80mil - because they want a slugfest for characters they recognize and are sorta fans of. Plus, the studio would like it because it'd mean they wouldn't have to write much of a script.

in order for a good fight sequence to happen Batman would have to break out the kryptonic Bat-Suit to stand of chance of even hurting Superman. I know I spelt that wrong but hey it's early in the morning.Nah, look at how the big fight at the end of The Dark Knight Returns went down, the only Kryptonite was from Green Arrow's arrow, Batman simply brought a badass tank and mech suit to the party, and would have won if he hadn't faked a heart attack.

How can there ever be a "last remaining piece of Kryptonite?" It was scattered all over Smallville. Even if some device was made to radiate Kryptonian elements specifically, not all of it is in the wild any more. The Luthors and others have taken an interest in seeing to that.Smallville is so far outside the continuity that it's not worth mentioning.

Well let's not forget the horror of Superman III and the creation of the computer that creates the kryptonite ray. Lex Luthor would make something like this.Well, you're right that only a sinister mind like Lex Luthor's could make a movie as bad as Superman III. :p But it takes a true genius like Richard Pryor to make a Kryptonite laser. :D

Tons of large chunks were falling off the bottom although that could have been mostly regular land to seperate him and the kryptonite until it started growing through. Still, some likely did fall off.In the theater I saw it, it was all brown earth falling off. I would think that Superman would make sure to pull up as much earth as possible beneath the island of kryptonite to avoid such things happening. Still, your other points about the various pieces left behind are accurate, and there's likely some in orbit around the planet that didn't make it into the atmosphere when Kal-el got here, as well as perhaps some embedded on the moon's surface.