PDA

View Full Version : Will SAGA be the biggest line?

sith_killer_99
07-09-2002, 09:08 PM
Well, with 40 figures or so already having hit the stores, (since 23 April) it looks as if the new SAGA line will be the single largest line of SW figures EVER.

POTJ had 58
EP1 had 50

And SOTE was the shortest with just 5!

So what are your feelings on this?

Do you like the new line?

Personally, I think that it is a big disappointment.

First of all it is the single reason why I am no longer a completist.

Second, a LOT of potentially good figures have been ruined, by STUPID gimmicks.

I have seen no improvement in sculpts from the POTJ line. In fact, the new line has taken steps back in terms of quality and playability.

Some examples are:

legs stuck in one pose stance...in fact MOLDED in ONE piece!!!

levers and buttons that stick out of the figures.

cheap springs, levers, gears, etc that make a figure feel like it may fall apart in your hands.

DIDN'T Hasbro learn from the EP1 Deluxe line?

Anyway, there's my rant. I just felt it had to be said. I am VERY disappointed with the new line and my frustrations are only compounded by the fact that this may well be the longest running line-up in the history of SW figures.

PLEASE Hasbro...STOP the gimmicks.

For years we have cried for more detail...more articulation...more original sculpts.

We have gotten more detail. We are now getting more original sculpts. But it dosen't amount to anything if I hate the figure sooooo much that I refuse to spend good money on it.

And that is precisley what I am doing!!! MANY figures from the new line HAD sooo much potential. But those gimmicks ruined them!
:cry:

ChemOx
07-09-2002, 09:11 PM
I really like this line a lot. I know there a lot of critics on this board who use a certain criteria to measure a figures worth.....i.e articulation, paint job, sculpt, accessories etc, but I just like them for what they are.......cool things to look at. I'm not an openers, so I just have all my figs on the wall, and I just like to look up and them,.....it lets me use my imaginiation. But yes, saga is my favorite so far........vintage would probably be my favorite if my entire collection wasnt either buried in the backyard, or sold as a lot at a Yard Sale for $1 (DAMN G.I.JOE!!!!).

Yar Cydoh
07-09-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm enjoying the Saga figures :)
They look good on my wall.

Aurra Sing's Undies
07-09-2002, 09:53 PM
I'd say the figures/card as a package are the most attractive of all. Figures alone (I have opened very few) seem to be just fine (with the exception of my Dooku which seems very flimsy).

Gimmicks are fine, if you don't like them, set them aside. The addition of accessoties is fantastic. Saga Luke/Bespin is worlds beyond previous efforts. For example:
Saga Luke Bespin for $4.77
or the little turd of plastic they called Anakin/Episode One - $6.99
Gimmicks are with children in mind, it does increase playability. For collectors, the figures still look great displayed on or off the card. If I were an employee of Hasbro, and had some grown man come up to me and complain about how the push bottons/turn knobs, or whatever doesn't work, I'd probably laugh in his face. Sorry!, but it's true.

Just keep in mind who TOYS are made for. We should all be very happy we get things like Bo Shek, or even more recently with Djas Puhr. These are gifts to us, not Billy the six year old.

thespar
07-09-2002, 09:56 PM
The way it is going right known will have to say it will propely end up beung the biggest for the time being.

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 10:12 PM
Saga will easily be the biggest line, if its constant release of figures continues. It'll at least last until next year.

LTBasker
07-09-2002, 10:18 PM
I think there were 57 in the POTJ line, even counting the Dirty/Clean Biker Scout variants.

Saga will most likely be the biggest line since we've already got figures over the 52 to be released. Plus there isn't another movie till 2005, giving it time to run for quite awhile unlike POTJ had the chance to. Most likely the numbers of figures released n assortments will dwindle to the 2-4 figure assortments later on, but it'll still have a bigger chance than POTJ. Maybe they'll even beat out the vintage line.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-09-2002, 10:26 PM
I love the new line. I don't open them, so the gimmicks don't really mean alot to me. I agree with Sing's Undies (tehheheheh undies!) about how hasbro is marketing these for the younglings, with gimmicks and "action!" and whatnot. Let's not forget, the boxes say "ages 4+" not "Ages 20+ and who demand every figure be to their exact specifications or will complain about it" that's just me though.

MikeAndTheBots
07-09-2002, 10:28 PM
How many were in POTF2 (just wondering)? I thought that the SOTE line was part of POTF2?

Lord Tenebrous
07-09-2002, 10:31 PM
I guess the old cliche "quality, not quantity" doesn't apply to Hasbro. And even if product was cut by 50%, the staff would likely continue to produce badly painted preposed figures.

Saga is a waste of potential. I guess all the research and development in the world is no match for mimickry and a button up your wazoo.

DeadEye
07-09-2002, 10:40 PM
Lord Tenebrous, you're correct. Saga has released more than a few disappointing figures. But this unified line certainly has potential, and with possibly 3 years until the next toy line, there may be improvements made. :)

rynobot
07-09-2002, 10:47 PM
The thing I hate most is that Hasbro allows errors to be released (Figures with missing paint, wrong paint, missing weapons, wrong cards, broken weapons, and broken figures). The allowment of these proves that Hasbro doesn't care about the consumer.

Beast
07-09-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by rynobot
The thing I hate most is that Hasbro allows errors to be released (Figures with missing paint, wrong paint, missing weapons, wrong cards, broken weapons, and broken figures). The allowment of these proves that Hasbro doesn't care about the consumer.
Rynobot, that is commen with all toy lines. We just hear about it more for Star Wars, because some idiots throw the things on Ebay and make a mint and then any mistake on a figure suddenly becomes big news. Most toy lines, you get somthing like you posted above, you take it back and get another. Not the Star Wars line, people actually consider those errors or factory mistakes to actually have value. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jdmarlow
07-09-2002, 11:49 PM
Rynobot,

I would refute that by saying they don't really "let" errors get out of the factory. You have to consider the reality of the situation. A large company with thousands of employees, producing gigantic quantities of toys. It is impossible to create exact replicas each time. That is why so many errors come up. That is also why these stupid ebay sellers putting up "errors" as variations are such huge CROCKS. They are mistakes. JUST MISTAKES.

But the point is that the errors that come out of the Hasbro factories are a result of the human condition. We all make human errors. Even with factory machine produced paint jobs and sculpts, some parts of the figure are painted by hand.

jdmarlow
07-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Also,

In response to the original point made at the top.....

My collection currently holds 341 POTF2 figures, 117 Episode 1 figures, and 130 POTJ Figures. BTW, this includes all variations, etc....I'm not just doing #1-#40 regular

My saga collection now has 70 figures at the moment. That is in less than 4 months!! That accumulates to 20% the amount of my POTF2 collection which took 4 YEARS to put together (approx. 48 months).

According to my calculations this means that at the current pace of the saga line (70 figs/4 months).......I should have a total of 840 total figures with variations (SAGA LINE ALONE) by the time Saga will have been around as long as POTF2. That would be in early 2006.

Basically all these numbers simply mean that the SAGA line is being produced 2.5 times faster than the original POTF2 line. In conclusion....Hasbro is throwing these figures out their windows and on to our shelves so damn fast it's hard to keep up. Any thoughts?

DarthBrandon
07-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Saga could possibly be the biggest S.W. line to date. I really do like the new figures, but at the same time I wish Hasbro was consistent when they produce their toys. i.e. If they can make an awesome Luke Bespin with almost everything people want and Jango K.E., why couldn't Jango F.B. have holsters for his guns too.
What I'm trying to say is if your making them preposed then make them like that. If your making them like the Bespin Luke, then stick to that format. I know as well as most of do, that these are made for kids, but hey at least try to be consistent. Next after Saga is over what will the line be called ? and when Episode III comes out do you think it will give Saga a run for it's money ?

MikeAndTheBots
07-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by brandon
I know as well as most of do, that these are made for kids, but hey at least try to be consistent. Next after Saga is over what will the line be called ? and when Episode III comes out do you think it will give Saga a run for it's money ?
I think they said they were going to stop with the gimmick's next year since they wanted them for the kids and they say kids a somehting like 75% of their sales during movie years.

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 12:25 AM
More like 55% maybe, cause us collectors are not fare behind. Remember we keep the lines going as far as buying when the movie dies out for the kids and I'm sure we buy up at least 45% or more of the toys when the movies are out.

rynobot
07-10-2002, 01:03 AM
I'm not only upset about the abundcy of errors, I am also upset with the changes Hasbro makes(backgrounds, padme's mole, droid colors, Luke's assorment of cut hands, droid caller color, Sidous Hologram, FB Jamgo's fireball, sticker changes, Super Battle Droids exploding legs, Removable cloak, Yoda's eyes, the Nexu, Dexter's pipe, and I'm sure there are some I forgot and there will be more to come). All of those listed are changes Hasbro intended to make. They allowed these into the market place even tho they had changed them. Why? Because Hasbro doesn't care aslong as they are sold, and retaliers have no clue what versions they are getting. These aren't errors, they are variations, intended changes that are allowed into the marketplace.

Bent Wookie
07-10-2002, 01:08 AM
Of course. Because Hasbro knows we'll buy them. They're marketers after all. If we stopped buying all the variations, eventually, Hasbro would stop making all of them. We only have ourselves to blame. I do think though that at least some of these "variations" are legitimate changes as Hasbro sees what works and doesn't work. The fact that it creates a sought after "variation" in the meantime is just extra gravy for them. It's a win-win for them.

Beast
07-10-2002, 01:13 AM
I'm not only upset about the abundcy of errors, I am also upset with the changes Hasbro makes(backgrounds, padme's mole, droid colors, Luke's assorment of cut hands, droid caller color, Sidous Hologram, FB Jamgo's fireball, sticker changes, Super Battle Droids exploding legs, Removable cloak, Yoda's eyes, the Nexu, Dexter's pipe, and I'm sure there are some I forgot and there will be more to come). All of those listed are changes Hasbro intended to make. They allowed these into the market place even tho they had changed them. Why? Because Hasbro doesn't care aslong as they are sold, and retaliers have no clue what versions they are getting. These aren't errors, they are variations, intended changes that are allowed into the marketplace.
The backgrounds were dropped, because they were getting bent, and even causing some damage to the bubbles. Padme's mole was on the first figures, but it didn't look right so it was dropped during the run. The droids were supposed to be all cream color in E2, but then late in production for the movie the red ones became the most commen color of droid. Luke's hands were changed a couple times during the run, to be the best for the figure and also to be movie accurate. The Sidious hologram was just added for value with Dooku's figure. The fireball they moved in the package, because it looked wrong pointed down. The sticker changes were just a running change. The Super Battle Droid's removable legs were dropped, because it made the figure two unstable. Her cloak was originally intended to be removable, but that was dropped because her arms would still have the cloak pieces attached. Yoda's eyes were a simple paint error, that was corrected. The nexu was in production while the movie still was, they found out that the color was off from the final movie creature so they corrected it. Dexter smoking in the movie was dropped at the last minute, long after Hasbro had the cards and figure made. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Bent Wookie
07-10-2002, 01:18 AM
Of course. Because Hasbro knows we'll buy them. They're marketers after all. If we stopped buying all the variations, eventually, Hasbro would stop making all of them. We only have ourselves to blame. I do think though that at least some of these "variations" are legitimate changes as Hasbro sees what works and doesn't work. The fact that it creates a sought after "variation" in the meantime is just extra gravy for them. It's a win-win for them.

rynobot
07-10-2002, 01:25 AM
Yes jar jar, but I knew all of that already. Why release an uncorrect product? Some of these are about as bad as the POTJ R2-Q5 spelling error (on the front of the card under the name of the droid they spelled Imperial "Imperal"). I feel Hasbro shouldn't have released the product if it wasn't correct.

Beast
07-10-2002, 01:36 AM
Stuff like that happens in all toy lines though rynobot. Especially since the toys are manufactured overseas. Running changes is the cheapest way of dealing with a mistake that is made once the product leaves Hasbro USA's hands.

They can't dispose of all that product and start over again, that would push the prices of the figures up again. It's just somthing that has to be done, to try to please Star Wars fans. Not many other toy companies even bother to correct stuff, once it's manufactured.

Look at Mattel's Professor Dumbledor figure, they slapped 2 right arms on the figures, and never corrected that error. They said it wasn't an error, that his arm was created like that to hold the sorting hat down at his side. Funny, the prototype actually had a right and left arm that were totally different. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
07-10-2002, 02:04 AM
They wouldn't have to get rid pf it, just repacakage it or repiant it.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-10-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
How many were in POTF2 (just wondering)? I thought that the SOTE line was part of POTF2?

According to the POF2 poster on my wall, there are 190 figures, which include the SOTE line, the EU line, and the Princess Leia line. But take into account that the Commtech line, the Flashback line, and about 3 Cinema Scenes are not on the poster- the poster only scales 1995-1998. So give or take a few there's still over 200 figures in the POF2 collection.

MikeAndTheBots
07-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter

According to the POF2 poster on my wall, there are 190 figures, which include the SOTE line, the EU line, and the Princess Leia line. But take into account that the Commtech line, the Flashback line, and about 3 Cinema Scenes are not on the poster- the poster only scales 1995-1998. So give or take a few there's still over 200 figures in the POF2 collection.
Thanks. Well, it really depends on how long they keep this line going. Are they going to continue the line or just start another POTJ like line? And do they have to start a new line at every movie? They could just keep the saga line since it's all of the movies...

Darth Sidious
07-10-2002, 01:16 PM
I'm happy with the Saga line, and I think it will be the largest. I have no problem with most gimmicks. Some of them are quite fun. :D Bespin Luke is great too. As previously stated, all those accessories for $4.99. Look at Amanaman-It is $8.99 or whatever and it doesnt have nearly as much stuff as the Luke. Accessories are great. :)

hango fett
07-10-2002, 01:21 PM
i think they should hold this line at the very least until EIII comes out...it's the best line yet....the errors are to be expected with any major company...
hango

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 01:41 PM

Don't get me wrong I'm not upset, just wishing they could be consistent with their figures that's all. As for the paint errors and sticker changes, I have to agree with JarJarBinks on this matter, those changes were made for certain reasons and some figures were released like the background ones and paint differences. Once Hasbro seen that they were incorrect, they decided to correct them midstream. It's like when you buy a car, yes it could be a great car, but at the same time there is all kinds of recalls to vehicles for certain reasons. Nothing will be made perfect and to ask Hasbro to pull the figures, would cost us more money than we could afford to buy them. Being consistent is a different story all together.