PDA

View Full Version : Batman, Superman, & JLA figure rights go to Mattel

JediTricks
07-09-2002, 11:01 PM
http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=80&show_article=93

Is it possible that the tyrannous reign of Hasbro over some of the World's Finest is quickly coming to an end? I had to check to see if this was April Fools day because this one seemed SO unlikely, but it's July which means that HASBRO HAS LOST THE RIGHTS TO BATMAN AND SUPERMAN!!! Sing it from the rooftops brothers and sisters, the despot has finally been overthrown after years of squandering our precious superhero resources! I don't know if Mattel will be any better, but I am fairly sure they couldn't be any worse. Kick Hasbro to the curb, we've had enough lime-green/dayglow-orange glow-in-the-dark "stealth" Batman figures!

I wish Mattel only the best of luck and the finest of products. Here's a tip, Batmobiles are vital, they hold 2 figures NEXT to each other. Here's another, keep putting out the same quality "regular" Batman figure and kids will keep buying them. Here's yet one more, accessories can be accurate and still fun, "spring-loaded" doesn't need to be a mantra with Batman or Superman toys.

LTBasker
07-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Goody... Barbie Batgirls, Ken Batmans, Barbie's sister Robins. :p

One thing though, this hopefully means no more Neon Batmans or reused sculpts! Hasbro was hitting it with the Batlink series and the new figures in the 4-packs, too bad it's too late for them, they had potential.

Beast
07-09-2002, 11:15 PM
Gotta agree with LTBasker, since He-man Mattel has never had a decent popular boys toy line. They are gonna run the line into the ground fast. And they definatly won't be compatable with the Hasbro/Kenner Batman line. They will probably end up looking more like they belong in the He-Man line.

Guess we will have to wait and see the first prototypes at next years toy fair. So far I don't like the idea of switching licenses. Same thing happened when Lucasfilm was shopping the Star Wars license around. Mattel's prototype Luke: Bespin looked good, but I think it was 5" or 6" tall. So I doubt that Mattel will keep the same scale. They will likely wanna distinguish themselves from the Hasbro products. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

MikeAndTheBots
07-09-2002, 11:41 PM
What are the chances of having the Four Horsemen do the sculpts? I kind of liked the DC Direct stuff though. I'm not a DC fan but saw the stuff in Toyfare and stuff and they looked good.
edit: In case you were wondering, the Four Horsemen did the new MOTU/He-Man stuff if I'm not mistaken.

Wolfwood319
07-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Thank god almighty. I'm so sick of one of the best licenses (if not the best) going to hell because Hasbro craps out Batman figures with no real purpose. "Indigo Stealth Armor Batman!?!" Those figures are horrendus.

I'm sure Mattel will do something cool with them. Anything's better than what Hasbro has done with the line.

JediTricks
07-10-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Gotta agree with LTBasker, since He-man Mattel has never had a decent popular boys toy line.Er... Mattel, the number one toymaker in the world, has never had a popular boys toy line? What do you call Hot Wheels? How about Masters of the Universe, the line that changed toy marketing forever?

And as for scale, HA! Like I give a crap about Hasbro's weird 4.5" scale on Batman animated. It's an ok scale I suppose, but it's kinda puny and has very little articulation while having massive accessories. Mattel should distinguish themselves from Hasbro, big-H ran Bats and Supes into the ground.

MikeAndTheBots, no idea, but I would guess a fairly good possibility since Mattel has put a lot of faith into the new MOTU line. Even 4 Horsemen's "dayglo orange disco Batman"-styled MOTU figures are cooler than Hasbro's versions IMO.

Beast
07-10-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Er... Mattel, the number one toymaker in the world, has never had a popular boys toy line? What do you call Hot Wheels? How about Masters of the Universe, the line that changed toy marketing forever?
I mentioned the He-Man line, but I made the mistake of not clearly stating that I meant action figure line. Not just boys toy line. And Star Wars originally changed toy marketing forever. MOTU used the Star Wars marketing idea, but used a TV show to sell the toys instead of a movie. That has been stated before by people that worked on the line at the time. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
07-10-2002, 12:37 AM
Still, the fact remains that Hasbro completely ****** up the Batman line, and Mattel made one of the greatest figure lines of all time (MOTU.) The only thing I liked that Hasbro did with the line within the last few years were the 4-packs. But the problem with those is you get 3 old figures and one figure never made before. The "4th" figures were great; Alfred, Gordon, Ra's daughter, but you were still getting 3 old figures too.

I personally hope that Mattel does a good job with the line. I've wanted a good Batman figure line all my life, and now I might actually get one, yippee!!!

What are people's predictions/wants for the first "wave?"

I would like to see;

Batman
Robin (Tim Drake)
Nightwing
Joker
Two-Face
Gordon

I'd also really like a generic thug figure, or a GCPD patrol officer figure.

JediTricks
07-10-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I mentioned the He-Man line, but I made the mistake of not clearly stating that I meant action figure line. Not just boys toy line. And Star Wars originally changed toy marketing forever. MOTU used the Star Wars marketing idea, but used a TV show to sell the toys instead of a movie. That has been stated before by people that worked on the line at the time.He-Man came out because Mattel had a Conan the Barbarian figure they didn't want to release, so they gave him blond hair. The marketing had little to do with the SW idea, it was a law that basically said that TV shows couldn't be simply 30 minute advertisements for toys. When the law changed in the early '80s, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe were first to step up to the plate and abuse their newfound freedom, thus creating 20+ years of TV shows based around selling toys rather than toys based around already-popular TV shows.

As for other lines, while it's true that few of Mattel's action figure lines since then have been mega-hits (Max Steel was a very big line for them though), they've still managed to best Hasbro consistantly as the #1 toymaker.

Wolfwood319, all good choices, though I think any Robin should be more like the early '90s Animated Batman version (in other words, not a tiny little kid with a giant head in a Robin costume) which was really just a new head on the awesome Batman Returns version. (I don't know why Hasbro did a really good Robin figure for a movie line that had no Robin in the movie, but I still dig the fig.)

I've always wanted a Generic thug figure, Batman stops criminals, not just super-criminals.

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 01:18 AM
Well all I can say is I hope Mattel can do a good job and sorry about your luck Hasbro. If they keep on losing lines, it may not be good for business in the future.

Hey JarJarBinks, you ever sleep bro ? Just wondering.

Beast
07-10-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by brandon
Hey JarJarBinks, you ever sleep bro ? Just wondering.
What is this thing you call sleep? I don't have any idea what you're talking about. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 01:49 AM
LOL

Didn't think so, me neither hardly at all.

QLD
07-10-2002, 08:45 AM
Hmm...I would find the idea of new Batman and JLA figures very appealing. I don't think I have liked any since the Super Powers Collection.

I never understood the fascination with the H-Man line. The cartoon was OK. I watched it a lot, but I watched ANY cartoon really. But the figures were awful to me. I didn't even like them as a kid. I got a few for Christmas when they were first released, but I didn't play with them long at all. They were big and clunky, and not fun to play with at all. They were all in that same crouched pose. I did not like them at all. I think I traded mine for some G.I. Joes. And that is what I thought of the initial releases. The later ones were PUTRID! Ram Man, Skunk-Man, Moss-Man, give me a break.

Just my opinion though.

But here is hoping for good Batman and JLA figures!

Eternal Padawan
07-10-2002, 09:53 AM
All I can say to Mattel is take a look at Toybiz's Marvel figs. I would love to see "DC Legends" figures with that kind of articulation and making them same scale would be heaven for Comic Toy fans around tha world...Superman vs Iron man? Batman vs Daredevil? Too cool...

Also, I hope Hasbro systematically loses all it's franchises. Happy Day! :happy:

Jedi Knightrider
07-10-2002, 11:11 AM
Wolfwood319, all good choices, though I think any Robin should be more like the early '90s Animated Batman version (in other words, not a tiny little kid with a giant head in a Robin costume) which was really just a new head on the awesome Batman Returns version. (I don't know why Hasbro did a really good Robin figure for a movie line that had no Robin in the movie, but I still dig the fig.)

I really like the new Robin design, though - just red and black. Makes a lot more sense than all that yellow and green.

El Chuxter
07-10-2002, 01:12 PM
THANK YOU JESUS! THANK YOU LORD!

Maybe now I can buy actual villains for Batman rather than seeing neon-armored Batmen hog the pegs.

Here's hoping for good figures of some minor villains! First up--Scarface and the Ventriloqust! (I can always dream.)

Jedi Knightrider
07-10-2002, 01:36 PM
I want more/better Batman: the Animated Series figures! I love the design of that show! Ventriloquist would be great!

JediCole
07-10-2002, 04:26 PM

As for other lines, while it's true that few of Mattel's action figure lines since then have been mega-hits (Max Steel was a very big line for them though), they've still managed to best Hasbro consistantly as the #1 toymaker.

JT is one of those who post here who's opinions I honestly respect. At the risk of seeming to attack the above quote, I would like to point out something of the dubious nature of the avove statement. The contention that Mattel is the #1 toymaker is TRUE, there is no denying that very solid FACT. However, this is a fact based on one thing and one thing only, SALES. With Barbie (the #1 girl's toy line) and Hot Wheels (the #1 boy's toy line), Mattel is farily well established as King of the Toy Mountain. This means that they are the #1 toy maker based on the amount of money they make as a toy maker as compared to other toy makers.

Okay, there you have it, they are #1. However, with the glaring exception of the Master of the Universe line, Mattel as failed to ever capture the imagination of the toy collector market. By and large, Mattel has been as guilty, if not more guilty, of gimic mania as Hasbro. What is really at issue here is not Mattel's staus in the marketplace, something that big blunders on their part have never shaken, but the nagging question, "Can Mattel do it right?"

As others have said, it will be a matter of "wait and see", but Mattel stands on the brink of something big. Perhaps the biggest opportunity since the original MOTU. If they are smart, they will recognize the trend toward playing to the adult collector market, and make character choice and design decisions accordingly. Hasbro took many years to warm up to the idea and with the new MOTU line, Mattel seems to recognize the new dynamic. My personal concern is that they will simply pander to the kiddie market, not realizing that if you make a sophisticated product, it will attract both adult and child collectors alike.

Finally, though it would be wonderful to have DC figures in the scale that Toy Biz uses for its Marvel figurse (a scale standard that has been a long time coming, but that is another story), the same logic that will drive Mattel to distincquish its DC lines (in scale) from the Hasbro counterparts will undoubtedly drive them to seek the same distinction from any competative product as well.

BoShek
07-10-2002, 11:27 PM
I am not happy. For the last few months I have been on cloud nine with the Batman TRU packs. Plus there was rumors that the JL line would fit to scale with the older figures.

BUT NOW it's all going to change and all of my old figures will be too small! And do you think they will make a new Gordon figure any time soon?

JediTricks
07-11-2002, 01:31 AM
Cole, I'm flattered, and you are right, since Mattel owns the license on the 2 top toy lines, it is easy to see why they're #1 in sales. However, IMO, if they weren't doing SOMETHING right, I would think Hasbro's action figure sales would overtake Mattel's various sales (or maybe we could chalk this up to Hasbro doing so much WRONG, but let's not be negative ;)) and the retailers see this, they keep ordering Harry Potter figs even though they're not taking off, they seem to keep ordering a handful of Max Steel rereleases even though that line has been "dead" now for months. Max Steel did cause Hasbro to bring Action Man back to the states in a new "retooled, extreme" format, BTW, so I think they may have changed the nature of the toy market beast.

All in all, I think anybody could waste the Supes/Bats licenses away the way Hasbro has for the past 3 years so Hasbro had to go. Maybe Mattel losing half of Disney's product license to Hasbro might be part of the wakeup call.

RooJay
07-11-2002, 08:32 AM
After reading the press release regarding this change of license I was led to understand that the new deal entitles Mattel to produce figures based on live action and animated, television and film versions of DC characters. It doesn't seem to me that the new contract allows Mattel use of the comic versions of these characters, which seem to now be covered by DC Direct; as evidenced by their scheduled release of a new comic based Superman line, and the Silver Age Batman and Robin set for the first quarter of 2003. This is something that I had hoped would happen if Hasbro had retained the license. Whether this turns out to be a truly good thing remains to be seen, but I have to admit that DC Direct's new figures look GREAT!

Darth Nihilus
07-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Good observation RooJay, the license is only for screen adaptations of DC characters.

As for the 4HM doing the DC figs, it could happen but I don't see what the difference would be, they would have to work within the confines of pre-existing designs, whereas with the new MOTU figs they had almost carte-blanche in redesigning the figures.

And yes, Mattel did essentially create the gimmick, but IMO the gimmicks have never really interfered with the fig's playability. The MOTU figs are much more durable than Hasbro's SW figs.

On the other hand. For those not wanting a million different Batman variations may be disappointed. I'm only using the new MOTU line as the measuring stick here, but in the first two lines there are already three He-Man variations - regular, deluxe and Jungle Attack. They already seem to be taking the same approach in that sense.

But in Mattel's favour, again using MOTU as the example, they are willing to listen to the collectors. On the new show they appointed two consultants who are hardcore original cartoon fans so as not to conflict with the original canon. The webmasters of the most popular He-Fan site on the web have been charged with creating the new comic.

The point being - if you make a loud enough noise they will listen.

Jedi Knightrider
07-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Yes! Roojay, you are right, the DC Direct line is amazing. The two packs of hero and sidekick are really cool, and the single carded figures are all different characters, and cool ones at that. They don't do multiple versions of a few characters.

And, with the realization that the licsense is only for movie/tv/animation, I might just get what I want - Batman TAS, and Superman TAS done right - heck, throw in the new Justice League while you're at it! I'll buy them all!

QLD
07-11-2002, 11:33 AM
Wow. That Batman and Robin set looks AWESOME!

JediCole
07-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Whether Mattel ruins their license or not is of no great significance to me now, in light of the realization that the license is only for screen incarnations. This means that DC/Warner Bros. has finally learned how to negotiate an equitable toy license.

You see, when DC Dirct started a few years back, many people wondered why Superman and Batman (the flagship characters) were conspicuouslly absent from their offerings. Well, that was a product of poor decision making on DC's part when negotiating licenses. Back around the time that the first Batman movie was released, DC gave Topps exclusive rights to the Dark Knight (presumably for their trading card lines). However, the contract was so worded that NO OTHER license holder could produce Batman images in any form. This meant that both Batman and Robin were replaced in an image used to promote the "Death of Superman" on a T-shirt that was released at the time. It meant that the first two series of DC Cosmic trading cards (from Skybox) could not feature Batman or any of his related characters, and a few other glaring problems emerged during that time.

Not ones to learn a lesson quickly, DC pretty much signed away the rights to their Superman and Batman corrals when they penned a deal with Kenner/Hasbro for the master toy license. This left the biggies out of the hands of DC Direct. In fact, I believe that Hasbro had the rights to the entire DC Universe, excluding the Vertigo line and a few others. This prompted DC to have to negotiate with Hasbro to allow DC Direct to "borrow" the rights to characters that they did not intend to produce (like Hawkman, Aquaman, Cyborg, etc.). The letter of the agreement with Mattel suggests that DC has learned to retain the rights to at least the print versions of their characters, giving DC Direct the ironic access to the parent companies trademarked characters!

Way to learn a hard lesson, DC!

Jedi Knightrider
07-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Wow, that is really interesting! At least they finally learned their lesson, though, and now maybe we'll get the best of both worlds - DC Direct giving us really rare and great looking figures of characters that you might not expect, and Mattel doing movie and cartoon stuff. This is really sounding great!

pthfnder89
07-11-2002, 02:35 PM
I'm excited to hear that the liscence has been moved, but I just can't get too happy until I see what Mattel wants to do with it. I'm not at all convinced that they are going to handle it well.:(

RooJay
07-11-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nihilus
in the first two lines there are already three He-Man variations - regular, deluxe and Jungle Attack. They already seem to be taking the same approach in that sense.

At least Jungle Attack He-Man sort of makes sense for the character!;) 99.99% of the design variants Hasbro produced of Batman would've been difficult to justify within the confines of who that character is and how he operates. I'd be cool with Batman variants if they'd just stick to an appropriate motif for the guy!

Now if only we could get DC Direct to lower their prices (20 bucks a figure is outrageous! Not that I won't be willing to pay that for good DC figures.) and add Marvel Legends style articulation...

Darth Nihilus
07-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by RooJay

At least Jungle Attack He-Man sort of makes sense for the character!;)

Maybe...but have you seen this figure?

JediTricks
07-12-2002, 02:40 PM
After reading the press release regarding this change of license I was led to understand that the new deal entitles Mattel to produce figures based on live action and animated, television and film versions of DC characters. It doesn't seem to me that the new contract allows Mattel use of the comic versions of these characters, which seem to now be covered by DC Direct; as evidenced by their scheduled release of a new comic based Superman line, and the Silver Age Batman and Robin set for the first quarter of 2003. This is something that I had hoped would happen if Hasbro had retained the license. Whether this turns out to be a truly good thing remains to be seen, but I have to admit that DC Direct's new figures look GREAT! I agree, this seems like the best way to go - the kids get toys from the shows while the comics get less play-oriented items that are more accurate from DC Direct, a good plan.

I think the current character variations in the new MOTU line are *slightly* more acceptable simply because they're not totally pandering to the lowest kiddie denominator with giant action gimmick accessories larger than the figure itself or garish neon colors. And so far, it's not been a wave of 4 of the same character just in different outfits and poses.

I can't believe they're bringing back Orko though...

anarky
07-12-2002, 03:27 PM
i must respectfully disagree with the honorable jeditricks from malastare

i would love comic-based batman figures--but have no desire to pay $20 or more at comic shops for the pieces of garbage dc's turned out

alas and alack, if the mattel license only covers film and tv versions of the characters, i shall never see my namesake villain on the rack at wal-mart or target--unless he appears in the new birds of prey tv show and the license agreement counts those characters as the bat-universe inhabitants they are

JediTricks
07-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by anarky
i must respectfully disagree with the honorable jeditricks from malastare

i would love comic-based batman figures--but have no desire to pay $20 or more at comic shops for the pieces of garbage dc's turned out

alas and alack, if the mattel license only covers film and tv versions of the characters, i shall never see my namesake villain on the rack at wal-mart or target--unless he appears in the new birds of prey tv show and the license agreement counts those characters as the bat-universe inhabitants they are
Don't get me wrongo, I don't own one single DC Direct figure - specifically because of the price issue - but I'd rather see DC Direct do the comic figures correctly than nobody do them at all. I honestly don't think Mattel or any major toymaker would do a line of Batman comic figures right now because the comics I think aren't seen as "toyetic" (it'd make a good kids' toy).

Darth Nihilus
07-12-2002, 03:56 PM

Star Wars has Jar Jar, He-Man has Orko.:rolleyes: The new Teela is excellent though.

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 04:16 PM

How could they not?! We all know Orko was the true power behind Greyskull.;):D

Seriously though I always had a soft spot for Orko, I'm glad he made it back although I haven't decided if I like the new design or not.

Anarky - Aside from the price what do you have against the DC Direct figures? They've done excellent work on at least 90% of the figures so far. I think they'd do a fantastic job on Batman.

JediCole
07-12-2002, 04:48 PM

alas and alack, if the mattel license only covers film and tv versions of the characters, i shall never see my namesake villain on the rack at wal-mart or target--unless he appears in the new birds of prey tv show and the license agreement counts those characters as the bat-universe inhabitants they are - Ouch! Take your beak from out my heart! While teh price point is high and the articulation is low, to call these veritable works of art "garbage" does them a tremendous disservice. Have you seen the Ares figure from Wonder Woman in the DCD line?! I would put it up one to one in the Pepsi Challenge with just about any figure on the market. And many of the others are outstanding as well, like the incredible Hawkman/Hawkgirl two-pack. While there are hits and misses, the same is true in EVERY toy line based on a license. I would further point out DCD's commitment to keeping these figures on the market. One of my customers wanted the (at the time) sold out Superman/Lois Lane two pack, but requested it right about the time that DC started a new production run. Rereleases of the previously sold out Hal Jordan Green Lantern (one I had missed but now have), Green Arrow, and many others mark this commitment. Any other mass production toy company would simply make a production run and then it's "off to the aftermarket" if you missed out!

Now, as to your lamentations of Mattel not having access to the comic universe, including your namesake, Anarky, you make a very great assumption. That assumption is that, even if they had access to the vast pantheon of the DC Universe, that they would even consider Anarky to be marketable to the toy store world. The real problem with licenses like this in the hands of major toy companies is lack of understanding of the license on the part of the corporate decision makers, a lack of understanding of the license on the part of retail store buyers, and the assumption that only kids ages 3 to 11 years old buy toys. Furthermore, in the magical post-'80's, "it's okay for a cartoon to sell a toy line" world we live, media presence (that is to say major media like film and television) is the barometer of what is worthwile to produce as a toy. Anarky lacks that kind of mass appeal that toy manufacturers cherish. Though both Hasbro and Mattel appear to be awakening to the presence of the adult collector market, they are still bogged down by pressure from the retail buyers, who often have a strong voice in what figures make it into a line. These people are NOT fans, they are NOT kids at heart, and by and large are NOT collectors. They are ambitious suits who's day to day existance withing the corporate framework of thier employers is constantly threatened by any misstep in selection on their part. Bid Daddy Wal-Mart, contrary to appearances, does not like to have close outs on toys. Nor do any of the retailers.

Bearing all of that in mind, you can get a clearer picture of what drove the Batman-centric wheels at Hasbro, giving us a rainbow of pointless Batman figures which began to serve no purpose but to press the next big milestone (300th Batman, anyone?). Or what too soon turned the Super Powers line from an unfortunatly gimic driven, but still the closest to getting it right line of super hero figures we would see until Toy Biz got their act together many years later, to a media and stupid toy-line-only character driven line that all too soon drove itself into the ground.

Despite the high price point, I applaud DC Direct for thier attention to detal, and, perhaps more importantly, their commitment to bringing the most obscure and facinating of fan favorites to the realm of collectibles toys.

RooJay
07-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Since we're on the topic of problems with the DC Direct figures...does anyone else think they use a strange...uhh...crotch joint on most of their figures? Most of my JSA figures appear to have...uhh...shortcomings, if'n ya know what I mean!;)

Aside from that, I also tend to think that, up until I saw the new Superman prototypes and the Batman and Robin 2-pack protos, most of the sculpts have just been sort of blah. Don't get me wrong, I've loved most of the figures they've done so far and many of them have been quite appropriate for the subject matter (Golden and Silver Age characters), but I'm hoping for more scuplts like the new Superman and Batman figures. Also, at 20 bucks a pop you'd expect at least a couple of accessories! Heck, while I'm on it...would it be too much to ask for a little more articulation (I know, the Superman figures have more articualtion than their figures have had in the past. A step in the right direction!)? I think ToyBiz has proven with their Marvel Legends line that it is possible to have tons of articulation (at a reasonable price I should add!), and still have a beautifully sculpted, great looking figure!

Here's hopin'!;)

RooJay
07-12-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
I would further point out DCD's commitment to keeping these figures on the market. One of my customers wanted the (at the time) sold out Superman/Lois Lane two pack, but requested it right about the time that DC started a new production run. Rereleases of the previously sold out Hal Jordan Green Lantern (one I had missed but now have), Green Arrow, and many others mark this commitment. Any other mass production toy company would simply make a production run and then it's "off to the aftermarket" if you missed out!

HEAR, HEAR! DC Direct is my friend! :happy:

are ambitious suits who's day to day existance withing the corporate framework of thier employers is constantly threatened by any misstep in selection on their part. Bid Daddy Wal-Mart, contrary to appearances, does not like to have close outs on toys. Nor do any of the retailers.

Seldom have truer words been spoken! As someone who's had a lot of exposure to the corporate world and done a lot of work in retail, I have always believed that, in these kinds of business, it is always one's job to never be able to do anything right and your superior's job to tell you so. Naturally, when you get up to the pay and accountability level of some of these guys in charge you'd always be pretty much hanging by a thread. It's no wonder these companies never seem willing to take a few calculated risks.

Getting back on the subject: After seeing what Mattel has in store for the He-Man line, I'm very hopeful to see what they can come up with for their DC Heroes lines!

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Aside from that, I also tend to think that, up until I saw the new Superman prototypes and the Batman and Robin 2-pack protos, most of the sculpts have just been sort of blah. DOn't get me wrong, I've loved most of the figures they've done so far and many of them have been quite appropriate for the subject matter (Golden and Silver Age characters), but I'm hoping for more scuplts like the new Superman and Batman figures.

While I LOVE DC Direct and I think JediCole nailed it right on the head, I have to admit I only have a few of their figures.This is for two reasons:

1. They're expensive and I just don't have the money
2. I'm not really a DC Comics reader and I don't know a lot of the characters well enought to want a figure of them

The ones I have bought are from comic series I know and love
-Sandman
-Preacher

The Preacher figures are absolutely TERRIFIC and examples of what DC Direct does right... except for Tulip. I just don't know what happen to this figure. They made a beautiful deadly character into... this ugly unarticulated lump. :( but honestly it's the one figure I've had any problem with from DC.

And I BADLY want a John Constantine but I just don't have the $20 right now.:(

anarky
07-12-2002, 05:40 PM
i take it from the defenses of dc direct that they've considerably improved since the rather lousy wonder woman that's still rotting on the shelves at my local kb--the comic shop i frequent doesn't carry toys, but can special order them--in the past, my encounters with other dc direct figures has been "oh, great, hasbro lost the rights to (fill in the blank)"--perhaps i may have to reconsider my assessments

after all--were i today to judge mcfarlane toys or the modern stars wars lines by the first waves without having knowledge of the later figures, i might speak of them as "garbage" as well--jonna, i hope you're right and ketchup makes words taste better!

i agree that anarky wouldn't sell well as a kid's figure--he couldn't even keep a regular series going for nine issues (i won't voice my complaints about the completely wrong direction that bad dream of a comic book took at this point)

however--i want some batman villains! through hasbro's reign of terror, we're lucky to get one villain a wave--and nine out of ten of those are the same joker with a different gun or color scheme--i'd be pleased as punch if someone, be it mattel, dc direct, or whatever, made a decent line of compatible figures of every batman character to appear since 1986--i want batman, i want robin, but i also want oracle, azrael (in all costumes), huntress, commissioner gordon, harvey bullock, alfred--and most of all every villain from anarky to mr zzsazz--i'd even buy bat-mite or the mime if someone made them in conjunction with a dedicated batman line of figures--and correct me if i'm wrong, but dc direct has yet to do a full line of figures as opposed to one or two waves of choice characters

and at $20 a figure, the idea scares me--i recently decided to seriously cut back my non-star wars figure collecting because there's just too much stuff out there and it costs too much!

RooJay
07-12-2002, 06:26 PM
i take it from the defenses of dc direct that they've considerably improved since the rather lousy wonder woman that's still rotting on the shelves at my local kb

Again in defense of DC Direct, that Wonder Woman figure, while lackluster by today's standards, was a vast improvement over any of the Wonder Woman figures Hasbro ever put out. I think the fact that it sat on shelves (and I should point out that KB was the second home for these figures; she was originally a direct market only figure [hence DC Direct ], and when she didn't sell at specialty shops for 20 bucks the figure ended up at KB on "clearance" for just about regular price! Figure that one out!) had much more to do with the outrageous price, and the fact that she was not part of a larger line of figures, and didn't seem to fit in scale-wise with any existing line.

JediCole
07-20-2002, 11:29 PM
I just found out today that the much requested Guy Gardner Green Lantern figure is being offered (finally) from DC Direct. Oddly enough, in the same issue of Toy Fare where the Silver Age Batman & Robin set and the samples of the Superman series are shown, a spokeseman for DC Direct says of the possibility of a Guy Gardner figure, it is something they are considering for the future. However, the Guy Gardner figure is offered to ship at roughly the same time as the Batman and Robin set! Now this could be the product of an ancient Toy Fare interview being used to flesh out a small article on DC Direct, making it seem that this guy had no idea what was already in production.

Now, about the $20.00 average cost of DC Direct, I tend to get about $15.00 each for the basic carded figures. I don't have them all "in stock", but I can still get a great many of them.

Beast
11-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Well, the first picture of one of the new Mattel DC figures just surfaced. It's nothing spectaculer. Infact, they don't look any better then the stuff Hasbro has been making for years. The Superman: Man of Steel line actually had better stuff, in my opinion. Maybe Batman, Flash or Green Lantern will look better. But Supes isn't very ground breaking. :p :)

Mattel - Justice League Animated Figures
Upcoming figure series sneak peek! Superman unveiled!

As we announced this summer, Mattel was granted a multi-year agreement by Warner Bros. Worldwide Consumer Products the master toy licenses for several of Warner Bros.' core franchises including Looney Tunes, Baby Looney Tunes, Batman, Superman, and Justice League. The agreements cover all global territories except Asia and include the rights to any related theatrical releases or television programs that are produced during the period of the deal.

Under the terms of the multi-year agreement, Mattel will develop and market products such as vehicles, action figures, playsets, plush, games, puzzles, dolls, adult collectibles and other categories based on Looney Tunes, Baby Looney Tunes, Batman, Superman and Justice League.

According to Diamond Comics, Mattel's first wave of Justice League action figures (as they appear on Cartoon Network's animated hit TV series) is scheduled to include: Batman, Superman, Flash, and Green Lantern. Each figure will stand approximately 4-3/4" tall. Series 1 is scheduled to ship 01/29/03 for a SRP of $9.99 each.

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=fignews2.setup&category=actionfigures&topic=80&show_article=104

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-09-2002, 11:13 PM
Supes looks so blocky. He's even got the blocky man boobs.

Beast
11-09-2002, 11:27 PM
LTBasker alerted me to this picture. All I can say is ugh. While Hawkgirl and Bats looks ok, the rest are pretty basic. The males all seem to have variations of the same body type also. And why the hell is Supes so short? Everyone of the figures is taller then him. I don't think it's like that in the cartoon, is it? And don't even get me started on super-anorexic Wonder Woman. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
11-09-2002, 11:52 PM
Hmmmm . . .this seems more of a Collecting thread then a General Disc thread, so Its been moved.

James Boba Fettfield
11-09-2002, 11:56 PM
I have problems with the cartoon, so my opinion of the figures is already biased.

LTBasker
11-10-2002, 12:03 AM
Except for Superman the figures look great. While I'm not a huge fan of the JL design for Batman that's gotta be the best version of a Batman figure since Hasbro's BTAS Batman mold was new and in regular costume colors. I doubt we'll be seeing these figures in neon colors though. :happy: The non-glossiness of the paints used really adds to the more fabric effect too.

I hope they do some work on Supes before releasing him but doubtful, oh well theres always resculpts later on. One thing that I don't like about the figures is no articulation in them. I was hoping they'd have a little more articulation like bending elbows or something but overall for the first set these are great looking. I can't wait for them to tackle on the BTAS and hopefully movie designs.

darthvyn
11-10-2002, 12:37 AM
i gotta say, other than the many neon paint apps, i thought the animated series figs were some of the most successful. these look quite similar to the hasbro versions, except for the jagged supes... the batman looks really good, though. i, too, wish that they had more articulation, although any extra lines detract from the animated look - the clean straight edges that are VERY apparent on that supes... once again, it's the age old compromise - articulation or detail?

derek
11-10-2002, 11:15 AM
those figures look funny. they remind me of my high school weight lifting coach. the guy was huge in the upper body, but never worked his legs. matell needs to get their toys to the gym and do some squats!!!:crazed:

all i want is some good 12 inch superheros!!!:cry:

QLD
11-10-2002, 12:03 PM
They look almost exactly like the characters fom the show.

While I really like the cartoon, I don't dig them for figures.

Why can't we get some DC figures with Marvel Legends quality.

Beast
02-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Well, after seeing more of Mattel's planned DC stuff, especially Batman it looks like they are going to do the same thing to the line that Hasbro did. Tons of versions of Batman, and an occassional figure of Robin or a Villian. The Joker looks nice, but the rest look from cool to goofy. These are from American Dream Comics.

Battle Armor Batman (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=BattleArmorBatman.jpg)

Hydro Suit Batman (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=HydrosuitBatman.jpg)

Joker (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=Joker.jpg)

Martial Arts Batman (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=MartialArtsBatman.jpg)

Robin (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=Robin.jpg)

Zipline Batman (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=Zipline-Batman.jpg)

Deluxe Night Patrol Armor Batman & Deluxe Stealth Wing Armor Batman (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=Batman-Deluxe.jpg)

Batman & Superman (2-pack) (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=BatmanandSuperman2-Pack.jpg)

Batmobile (http://66.221.124.161/g/?dispsize=800&mode=view&album=DC+Comic+Toys%2FMattel&pic=Batmobile.jpg)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
02-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the pics JarJarBInks,

I have to say most of them are garbage with the exception of Robin, the Joker and the Superman/Batman two pack. I will have to wait to see these three for my final verdict. The JLA figures do look like the cartoon but they do not do the characters any justice, they simply are just pieces of poo doo. I hope they will get better before they are released. :D

Adam
02-03-2003, 10:14 PM
After Marvel legens, I can't really get into to super hero figs without as much articulation....

JediTricks
02-04-2003, 10:32 PM
At least Mattel's variations look halfway decent and some have good accessories. The batmobile is a disappointment of course, but the core figs look good.

Eternal Padawan
02-06-2003, 06:43 AM
Well, it's Mattel, so 6" figures might come out looking more like MOTU (with action buttons and stuff) rather than the hyper articulated Marvel Legends figures. I'm hoping for the latter, but the former wouldn't suprise me.

And I saw those new Mattel Justice League figures hanging at Target (Well, I saw four Batmans anyway) and all I can say is...meh.