PDA

View Full Version : Why not import water to Tatooine?

icatch9
07-10-2002, 03:50 PM
If water is so scarce on Tatooine why not import it from other plantes? Clearly Kamino is full of water, I know it's far away, but surely other planets have tons of it.

I take it from my readings and understanding of the EU that moisture farming can be a lucrative business on Tatooine, so why wouldn't someone like the Trade Federation want to cash in on this and import millions of gallons upon gallons of water. Or is this another "Just Becasue" issue in the movies?

Thoughts......?

Jonna
07-10-2002, 03:52 PM
To expensive for the seller/transporter...

robman71
07-10-2002, 04:08 PM
Not to mention that Tatooine is controlled by the Hutts. I am sure that they would want a cut on this business.

Jek Porky 2002
07-10-2002, 05:10 PM
Tatooine is on in the far reaches of the galaxy so the republic or the Empire has little to no intrest in it, the hutts wouldn't be prepared to pay for it, and also they would be loosing money from the moisture farming bussiness, so they just have to fend for themselves and find there own sources of water.

LTBasker
07-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Plus Tatooine is a magnet for "scum and villiany" so most likely there would pirates attacking/hijacking shipments. They seem to get by just fine with moisture vaporators, afterall, they even can get blue milk. :D

Jedi Knightrider
07-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
If water is so scarce on Tatooine why not import it from other plantes? Clearly Kamino is full of water, I know it's far away, but surely other planets have tons of it.

I take it from my readings and understanding of the EU that moisture farming can be a lucrative business on Tatooine, so why wouldn't someone like the Trade Federation want to cash in on this and import millions of gallons upon gallons of water. Or is this another "Just Becasue" issue in the movies?

Thoughts......?

Why would they want to upset the status quo? We know cigarettes are bad, but as they are one of America's biggest cash crops, we're not going to change anytime soon - going with the Hutt's control of the planet, keeping things the way they are is a good way to keep everyone subservient.

Rogue II
07-10-2002, 07:34 PM
I get the feeling the Trade Federation doesn't make it past Episode 3.

For some reason, the movie "Ice Pirates" came to mind after I read this thread.

DarthSetnom
07-11-2002, 01:20 AM
And why would anyone want to import water to tatooine? there's nothing there...

icatch9
07-11-2002, 09:17 AM
Why do we the Grandest County in the world import oil from the middle east? Becasue we need it and can't make enough gas with the oil that we have.

I know Tatooine is by far not the grandest system in the Universe, but wherever there is money to be made, there is someone there selling it. I agree the Hutts would want a cut, but wouldn't they incourage this import since they'd cash in on it. I'm sure Jabba's always up for easy money. Transporting it wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure that some of the big freighters trasport stuff a lot heavier than water.

There's no real good answer, but it's fun to discuss :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-11-2002, 01:24 PM
Uh, who would buy it? And do they have lots of credits or trade items to get it? Keep in mind these are pilots, bounty hunters, and smugglers who leave pretty quickly; farmers and colonists; scavengers; etc. Not your typical "big spenders," especially for just water. An Outer Rim planet is like a sparsely populated desert; who cares about it except for those who live there?

However, I've said for many years that a piping system to send flood and heavy rain waters to drier areas would be a great idea. Take all the central Texas flood waters and put out the fires in Arizona, Colorado, California. When crops whither in the Midwest, use Washington's consistent rain to help. We can put a man on the moon over 30 years ago but can't ship water 1500 miles? :frus:

DeadEye
07-11-2002, 02:34 PM
I read in the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels that in SW there are satellites that can alter climate...why not just put one in orbit of Tatooine? It's not like those Hutts couldn't afford it...:rolleyes:

Jedi Knightrider
07-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Uh, who would buy it? And do they have lots of credits or trade items to get it? Keep in mind these are pilots, bounty hunters, and smugglers who leave pretty quickly; farmers and colonists; scavengers; etc. Not your typical "big spenders," especially for just water. An Outer Rim planet is like a sparsely populated desert; who cares about it except for those who live there?

True, there's no real market for it, or at least for the costs that would acrue.

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
However, I've said for many years that a piping system to send flood and heavy rain waters to drier areas would be a great idea. Take all the central Texas flood waters and put out the fires in Arizona, Colorado, California. When crops whither in the Midwest, use Washington's consistent rain to help. We can put a man on the moon over 30 years ago but can't ship water 1500 miles? :frus:

Oh, you believe the lunar landing too??? silly, silly, silly moderator:crazed:

DarthBatman
07-12-2002, 12:52 AM
Honestly... what fun would it be if Tatooine had water? If it had water, what would the Lars's and the Darklighter's do?

DeadEye
07-12-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by DarthBatman
Honestly... what fun would it be if Tatooine had water? If it had water, what would the Lars's and the Darklighter's do?

Open a swimming pool, of course! :crazed:

Jedi Knightrider
07-13-2002, 12:27 PM
Or maybe a log-flume ride!

Tatooine! The galaxy's largest water park! THRILL to the exhilaration of the galaxy's tallest straight water slide! The tarzan swing that chewie made so popular (in jedi)! The largest jawa aquarium in the outer rim!

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Knightrider
Why would they want to upset the status quo? We know cigarettes are bad, but as they are one of America's biggest cash crops, we're not going to change anytime soon - going with the Hutt's control of the planet, keeping things the way they are is a good way to keep everyone subservient.

Are you saying that the Hutts control the tobacco industry? Wow, that would explain a lot. :D

Jedi Knightrider
07-13-2002, 02:22 PM
According to my post, the Hutts control Earth! I just re-read it, and that's what the wording sounds like!!!! That's funny!:crazed:

Pendo
07-13-2002, 05:24 PM
If water was imported to Tatooine then the rest of the saga probably wouldn't have happened. Look at it this way: if water was imported then there would be no moisture farming, which means there would be no vaporators, so Shmi wouldn't have been out picking mushrooms off the vaparators so wouldn't be captured by the Tusken Raiders, so Anakin wouldn't find her dying, wouldn't loose his temper and slaughter the camp, and probably wouldn't start his turn to the dark side, so wouldn't get the opportunity to kill Palpatine, so wouldn't bring balance to the force!!!
So THAT's why water isn't imported to Tatooine!!!

PENDO!