PDA

View Full Version : All right who here supports EU???

scruffziller
07-10-2002, 06:36 PM
After all there is more to the story than what GL gives us. There is even things that GL does give us (visually) that are there for a reason and should be or at least have a story somewhere about it. As long as it is not conflicting I accept it as part of the actual story.

QLD
07-10-2002, 06:45 PM
I love EU. If not for EU, my interest in SW would be cut in half probably.

Eternal Padawan
07-10-2002, 07:10 PM
I dig some EU, but some is downright silly. Sometimes I loathe the fact that you need the visual dictionaries and cross section guides to understand all the minor stuff going on in the films.

MikeAndTheBots
07-10-2002, 07:58 PM
I like some of the characters and some of the EU but some of it sucks. Most of the post ROTJ stuff isn't good in my opinion. I don't like the stuff that deals with the main characters I like when they make new characters and incorperate them into their own stories. For example, the original Dark Forces, had very little mention of the main characters (besides Vader who makes a brief apperance) and you fight Boba Fett but that's it. Sure it conflicts a little with the DS plans being at some base but it was still cool.

Dar' Argol
07-10-2002, 08:32 PM
As most of you know, I am a heavy supporter of EU:D I have read many novels and loved each and everyone of them. I am a firm believer in the phrase, "It's all Star Wars, baby:D". I make no real seaperation between EU and the movies. To me, its a continuation of something I love. I have not read a bad story yet:D

QLD
07-10-2002, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I agree with Dar. Well, there ARE the Barbara Hambley books......but in general :D

rynobot
07-11-2002, 12:07 AM
I've read all the EU novels I could find except for the Lando Adventures, because IMO they are the worst read in all EU novels, ranking just ahead of Children of the Jedi.

Am I the only one that didn't want Rebel Dream to end? While reading that book I was wishing that the pages would never stop.

Dar' Argol
07-11-2002, 12:15 AM
Haven't read Rebel Dream yet. I'm still looking for a copy of Visions of the Future, the sequal to Spectors of the Past. Now there's a good book that I didn't want to end:D

rynobot
07-11-2002, 12:23 AM
As for "believeing" EU, I tend to beleive what I can remember which is mostly nothing specific., HEHEHE.

mabudonicus
07-11-2002, 08:18 AM
EU.... isn't that the name of the west european trade union? WHAT?...Ohhhh, right. I like my own EU, a world where 21-b is king. I believe I pitched it elsewhere here. It's a trilogy called "Take Care,Sir- the complete 21-b". I'm working on the Power droid saga next, but I'm having problems working out the relationship between him and fx-7(What a jerk, for more read "even set dressings get the blues")
Sorry, I know, I'm a jerk. I just stopped reading EU in 1980 after "splinter of the mind's eye" got roundly discounted by ESB,
tried to read "heir to the empire" thinking that it was the basis for more films, then had to stop when I got to the bit about Lando's "Land City", on top of the constantly movin walkers. I couldn't figure out the repair protocols for the thing... My least favourite part of EU has to be TPM:), though, which I still can't call Star Wars with a straight face....(HOLY COW, MABUDON's POSTED SOMETHING TO DO WITH STAR WARS!?!)

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
As most of you know, I am a heavy supporter of EU:D I have read many novels and loved each and everyone of them. I am a firm believer in the phrase, "It's all Star Wars, baby:D". I make no real seaperation between EU and the movies. To me, its a continuation of something I love. I have not read a bad story yet:D
Hey DAR, How do you digest the details that tend to be changed or conflict such as the revision of the original stories to the movies but were left the same for the novels, like saying that Owen is Obi's brother.

InsaneJediGirl
07-11-2002, 02:03 PM
EU is great :D I agree with Dar,it is all Starwars,some of it just isnt presented visually;)

rynobot
07-11-2002, 02:05 PM
I am not Dar, but I want to answer the question scruffziler. I just don't remember that part of the book, as if it was never there to begin with. Some people feel abliged to keep everythign written, but I keep only what stays true by the movies or anything that is gruesly important.

Dar' Argol
07-11-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

Hey DAR, How do you digest the details that tend to be changed or conflict such as the revision of the original stories to the movies but were left the same for the novels, like saying that Owen is Obi's brother.

Good question:) This is how it all works in my mind:crazed:

The movies are the core, the central story. The novels are just an extention or cut-away to the movies. Now, they can re-edit a movie all they want, but they cannot do that as easily for the novels. So I take the little confilcts with a grain of salt;). The important thing is the core of the SW universe is still there. The feeling is still right and the way it ties is, for the most part, right. Lucas Liciencing has been really good about keeping the continuity going through all the books. Its not their fault that Lucas changes something:rolleyes:.

I posted in another area about how everyone hates EU and how the prequals were once EU. Someone could not understand it. So here's my explination on that as well. Most ppl concider EU as not being on film/VHS/DVD right. Well after the OT was finished, that was it, for 20 years. Anything thought up or written before or after the OT was EU. So, when you look at it, from a certain point of view, the prequals ARE EU, its just as soon as they hit the silver screen, everyone takes them as canon:rolleyes:. And I've heard ppl complain b/c the prequals are not what they think should have happened b/4 the OT. This is also the same argument I hear about EU. :rolleyes: Oh well, to each their own. There will always be ppl to support AND discredit EU. I say there should be no distinction.

Its ALL Star Wars, baby!!!:D

billfremore
07-11-2002, 02:52 PM
I love the EU, all of it.
Books, Comics, video and Role playing games

Embrace it everyone, because after 2005 it'll be the only new Star wars stories you'll see

Nebulaz
07-12-2002, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I love EU. If not for EU, my interest in SW would be cut in half probably.

same here i have like 30 books that I just love.

bigbarada
07-12-2002, 10:37 AM

Its ALL Star Wars, baby!!!:D

Ahem..**cough cough** Holiday Special **cough cough**

I'm not militantly against EU, I just have absolutely no interest in it. Once the movies are done and the toy line is cancelled, I will simply move on. Star Wars is really not such a big deal to me that my life will be empty without it. As for novels, well I tend to prefer fantasy when it comes to books. The rules aren't set in stone and any author can completely rewrite those rules whenever he/she wants.

Star Wars has way too much baggage for the novels to draw my interest, especially after missing so many of them. It's not for lack of trying though, I tried reading Heir to the Empire and just couldn't get through it. Poorly written characters like Thrawn and Mara Jade, idiotic characters like Jorus C'Boath (or whatever) and Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke completely ruined it for me.

Just me I guess.:)

billfremore
07-12-2002, 10:43 AM
No Barada , you spelt it wrong.
It's Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke, not Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke.
It's a common enough mistake. ;):D

Have you considered reading some of the comics?
Star Wars Tales is a fun read.

bigbarada
07-12-2002, 10:55 AM
I do enjoy Star Wars Tales, when I can find them. Mainly because they don't even try to fit in with continuity and that allows them to actually be creative.

billfremore
07-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Very true, Kevin Rubio's stuff is hilarious.
His "Birth of a Death Star" story was worth the price of the trade paperback alone.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2002, 11:45 AM
I greatly enjoy the EU, because I don't take it seriously. I have, on occasion, felt compelled to defend EU, but for the most part, I don't feel offended if people bad-mouth it.

My point is this: you don't have to LIKE the stories, but you do have to ACCEPT them. Not accept them as "religious canon," descended from the heavens and not to be refuted, but as a semi-carefully pieced together mosaic over a period of 25 years and counting. Fiction based on cinematic "facts."

Like bb, my SW enjoyment would be actually quite poor if all I followed were the films. When people ask my questions about SW, I usually prefice my comments with "Well, according to the books..." so the asker knows where my opinion comes from. They can choose to believe me, or say "but the books aren't legitimate." Oh well.

I own about 450 books, comics, magazines, etc. I have read 150 or so SW novels (not including the comics, guides, trivia books, or other non-storyline books). If you ignore the trilogy novels, my first EU book was probably Splinter, then the Zahn trilogy. I've been hooked ever since.

Dar' Argol
07-12-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Ahem..**cough cough** Holiday Special **cough cough**

Ok Big-B, you got me there:rolleyes:. The holiday special really, really stank!!! Heck, I don't even think Lucas admits it exists:eek: :D

BTW, when I first "glanced" at your new Av, I thought it was some redhead kissing someone. Then I relized it was the guys beard!!!!!!:eek: ;) :D

Lobito
07-12-2002, 04:36 PM
I like EU, but i think GL should take a look to all the EU things that have been released so he can tell which ones could be added to the SW movie universe. (Not in a movie, but just as part of the story) But i guess he'll never do that.

Anyway, i still like EU. (Havent seen the Holiday special)

mabudonicus
07-12-2002, 04:57 PM
I realised last night... I guess "STANSE" is like EU....
'cept I call it the "fuller universe of SW", or FU:):):):)
Again, sorry. I always was a rotten post.

Jason B
07-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jason B:
Here's how I see it. The Expanded Universe is just fanboy's dreams on how he thought it should have gone, or something to that effect. They didn't like how George Lucas wrote it, so they have to put their own pieces in.
My opinion. :)

:)

Vortex
07-12-2002, 06:12 PM
I sort of like EU.

I have all the comics, old stuff like Doom World, to the new Pre-TPM, and the Infinities.

I also have all the "Essential Guides" to this or that, the various encyclopedias, I think they are pretty cool and interesting. I just like to see how wide a range you get with artistic impression on what ships, charachters and objects look like.

I think I have all the novels cept for the little kids books or those young reader jedi academy books...or whatever they are called.

I do like to read the novels, and granted there were some flops, but for me no big stinkers yet.

I'm hoping they do some old Imperial stuff...like a groupe that left the same time as Thrawn for the opposite side of the Unknown Regions, since Thrawn just went to recruite the Chiss. Have a tired, beat up, thinned out top of the line commando, infiltratior, ace pilot, etc. squad, with big guns, technology and bio information, come back to a war torn universe where the New Republic and Vong are still fighting, Old Empire is just a spec of nothing, and this small beat up group throws their lots in with the Republic to help turn the tide...that way there can be a lot of backstory too.

Something to the tune of..."The Sons of the Empire", "Imperial Issue", or "Imperial Grey" But hey that's just me.

As for EU toys. I have to say, I can live without. I did get the 1st runs 3-3/4", but they were a big let down since my vision of Mara, the and space trooper were totally differnet than what we got. There's too many opions and creative ideas as to what some one or somethings should look like. Almost every one of the EU people and ships that are in the "essential guides" or encyclopedias are extremely different from one to the other. It could get ugly if they did start making more EU figs.

But over all I enjoy EU

bigbarada
07-12-2002, 07:01 PM

Ok Big-B, you got me there:rolleyes:. The holiday special really, really stank!!! Heck, I don't even think Lucas admits it exists:eek: :D

BTW, when I first "glanced" at your new Av, I thought it was some redhead kissing someone. Then I relized it was the guys beard!!!!!!:eek: ;) :D

I squinted my eyes really hard and I think I see it too.:D

rynobot
07-12-2002, 07:36 PM
I would like to have a Jaina figure from the NJO.

2-1B
07-12-2002, 07:36 PM
:eek: It DOES look like he's kissing a redhead. :eek:
Just look in the bottom right corner, and don't focus on the middle.

I love EU.
IG-88 as the Death Star's CPU? Brilliant.
Palpatine's ghost inhabiting the body of a clone? Ingenious.
Dash Rendar filling Han Solo's role? Creative.
I love EU. :rolleyes:

The only EU I eagerly embrace is Teek and Noah, and the card player framed by Teek as a cheater. Those two guys shooting each other is a helluva much better scene than the SE Greedo debacle! :D

MFH
07-12-2002, 09:29 PM
I like EU, to a certain extent. EU does not hold as much weight as the movies

Tycho
07-13-2002, 10:46 AM
Big Surprise that I'll chime in supporting EU, too.

New Jedi Order Rocks!

Crimson Empire was great.

Jedi Apprentice Books were wonderful and Jedi Quest looks promising.

The Best? Anne Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy: (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, Rebel Dawn - BigBarada, I think you'll like these).

Heir to the Empire was good. Hand of Thrawn done nicely, too.

Jedi Academy explored some ideas I wanted to see tried, like using the Dark Side of the Force against the Empire, but it was mixed with over-used superweapons etc.

The Young Jedi Knights books start with 1 slow book that sets it up (and should be read) but this series was really, really good.

Darth Maul: Shadow Stalker was great.
Cloak of Deception, likewise.

In comics: Tales of the Jedi, Rogue Squadron, and the Prequel On-Going series are wonderful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT NOT TO READ:

Rogue Planet
The Approaching Storm

Children of the Jedi
Planet of Twilight
The New Rebellion

comics: I'm not a fan of Dark Empire! Unless a movie establishes that Palpatine can use his spirit to jump bodies and inhabit his will over clones of himself. The fact that when this came out, there weren't even clones in Star Wars that we knew of, bugged me to no end.

I agree with BigBarada, that to finally use cloning technology, Zahn made his only mistake by having a character like Thrawn rely on an insane clone of a Jedi Master (that weakened Thrawn, IMO) and that they cloned Luke, and made the character a very 1-dimensional 5-second monster was another waste of type. The rest of Zahn's work is brilliant.

Union: Luke and Mara's wedding, also sucked. That was the only bad thing Mike Stackpole ever wrote in Star Wars. He's typically the best author altogether. He did that comic while doing the very best NJO novels at the same time. And I think that the comic suffered because he was distracted and it came out awful while Onslaught and Ruin are read-overs because they're so exciting and incredible!

(and Stackpole can do comics!!! - all Rogue Squadron comics are by him as well as the novels.)

Man In The Box
07-13-2002, 01:15 PM
The EU is fine I guess. It'll be intresting to watch as they get their own military and how it well interact with NATO.

The EU has been convienet. I go from Germany to France with out a passport usally and the one currency also makes things easier.

Nebulaz
07-13-2002, 01:18 PM
B/c its not lucas work and its not on screen to watch.

bigbarada
07-13-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
The Best? Anne Crispin's Han Solo Trilogy: (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit, Rebel Dawn - BigBarada, I think you'll like these).

I've read all three of those and I thought they were excellent. In fact, that is the primary reason I don't want to see Han in the prequels, I am afraid it will be done in such a way as to contradict these books.

I also have read and liked:
Jedi Apprentice books (only read the first three, though)
Rogue Planet (I liked this one)

I read Dark Empire also, and while seeing Luke turn to the Dark Side was really cool, the cloning thing was ridiculous.

Hmm, I guess I don't hate EU as much as I would like to believe.

scruffziller
07-13-2002, 09:12 PM
I say why not EU gives us fans to be part of the universe. To let us engage in it and to feel like we are in the director's chair. Remember imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Tycho
07-14-2002, 04:34 AM
BigBarada: actually since everyone's kind of heard my "Han is a Clone" theory passed around here, I submit to you that this still would not negate Anne Crispin's work.

I actually got a chance to talk to her through Kevin J. Anderson who set it up. George himself had concerns about what Anne wrote for Han, and that certain things were specifically ommitted and it all be set up a certain way. As a fan besides a writer, she was very familiar with the whole continuity which helped her out a lot, too.

(Side note: It's funny how a majority of female Star Wars writers don't know what they're doing, but two ladies amongst them - A.C. Crispin, and Jude Watson (Jedi Apprentice) - rank amongst the all-time best with Stackpole, Zahn, and Luceno.)

But back to Han, were he to desert the Republic or Separatists' Clone army as a 10 year old kid, - no doubt betraying Boba Fett somehow while he did it, he could then wind up on the streets of Corellia in time to start his adventures when Garris Shrike and Dewlanna found him (though I originally thought Anne pictured Han as even younger).

As to his parents never being met, it supports the theory that his father was cloned, resulting in Han.

If you really paid attention to what Anne set up, the Clone donor would be the son of Denn Solo, while Denn's daughter was Thracken's mom. While Thracken is not a clone, there's still going to be strong resemblence to the dominant male traits in their genes. Thus Thracken looks like Han. (But so does Jacen, and to a lesser extent Jaina and Anakin).

But as far as a prequel appearance for the 10 year-old "General Solo," it's totally possible and the EU was carefully crafter to set it up only for the movies to later contradict it. EU is written around the movies. All those people who say a film is going to come along and negate all that stuff and make the EU complete non-sense are wrong. The EU doesn't work that way. The movies dictate everything, but with a general plan for the films known by Lucas, the books don't tread on that territory.

The thing we won't see is Han WITH Chewie. Han isn't supposed to meet Chewie for 12 more years - just 6 years before ANH. However, I suppose they could "coincidently" cross paths, but they would not be partners. Han still has to grow up and join the Imperial Academy, get commissioned, etc. Anyways...

Hey, BigB - keep reading the Jedi Apprentice Books too. They're awfully short and really good. You'll find out things like Xanatos has been operating behind the scenes during episodes like Mark of the Crown and The Hidden Past, and he's setting a trap for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan that will play itself out over the first 8 books.
But the 5 and 6 books are the best in the whole series! You'll find out Obi-Wan once left the Jedi Order for a girlfriend, and even turned his lightsaber on Qui-Gon! This 2-part story was one of the other very best SW adventures I've ever read!

Vortex
07-14-2002, 01:37 PM
Tycho...

I haven't read all your clone Han bits, or if this p.o.v has been thought of, but do we really know that clones can reproduce? Do we have any current evidence for or against this?

One would think that specific genetic aspect would be withheld from some so the need to reproduce wouldn't get in the way, or cloud their thoughts as they stepped on the battle field.

If they could reproduce, think about all the generations of those part clone kids running around all looking like Mr. Fett Senior...cold, calculating, ruthless, athletic, crafty, and a mercenary at heart, etc... I can see Boba having the ability to reporduce since he was an "unaltered", but I can see the Republic Arm being steril for many reasons. For example, loyality to the republic, no wife, no kids making them rethink their duty. Keep them focused, cause loves does some weird stuff to men and at times makes them totally illogical. Make them "lifers" since there's no need to leave to support a family. And lets face it, if you ain't getting any, and ain't thinking about getting anything, you can accomplis a lot, and you're not one to be messed with:)

Granted the Emperor had countless clones, and was responsible for fathering some children but do we really know if it was the original copy or a clone?

I just have a hard time believing that Han could be a clone. I think his childhood was left ambiguous to keep that mystery about him alive. He's the Rogue of the story, had to pull himself up by his own boot straps, and he's lived by his own rules since he was a kid.

I just have trouble buying into the cloning bit.

bigbarada
07-14-2002, 11:51 PM
I never knew that GL got directly involved with the AC Crispin books. That either means one of two things are possible, 1. Tycho is our resident psychic and predicted a major story element for Ep3 or 2. GL has plans for Han's character after the prequels are over (I would love to see a Young Han Solo Chronicles type TV show).

I used to fly through those Jedi Apprentice books at the rate of one per day. I stopped when my Wal-Mart stopped stocking them for some reason. I also went to Korea for a year and missed out on a slew of them. If I can ever get my hands on the entire set, I would love to read it from beginning to end.

Why did you hate Rogue Planet, Tycho? I thought it was pretty good.

KingOfSting
07-15-2002, 12:15 AM
im really into EU not so much the novels as the comics, however, mainly because i cant ever really find the time to go through anything larger than a comic TPB however i do have a collection of older sw novels that perhaps will all be read one day;) the eu is what, in my opinion keeps star wars alive. think about it...without novels and comics there wouldnt have been the thrawn trilogy or dark empire, and perhpas would never have been a resurgence (hope thats the right word to use here) in star wars....or at least as large as the one acheived in the mid 90's..and if that didnt happen then all of those precious toys(no matter how overly action posed lol) would neevr have been made....something to think about

Tycho
07-15-2002, 02:47 AM
True about the revival KingofSting. And Dark Empire was entertaining. Just not that entertaining that its bad plot element was excuseable.

If they had to bring Palpatine back, instead of transfering his life energy to clones totally across the galaxy, it should have been shown that he used the Force to save himself in the Death Star reactor shaft and that explosion was just a last attempt to strike at Vader for betraying him.

Then he got to a ship before the Death Star exploded.

The Rebs didn't know it, and they were outnumbered anyway, so Wedge and the fighter squadrons had better things to do than chase a non-combat vehicle. Their mission was to destroy the Death Star... anyway...(Dark Empire could have worked better for me that way...)

Meanwhile BIG BARADA:

Lucas gave her guidelines as to where she could not go with the Han story, and what she needed to establish.

WHERE HAN COULD NOT GO:

1) no stories about who his immediate parents were. A grandfather he was directly related to was fine. Denn Solo.

2) no stories about Han's days at the Imperial Academy and early year he lasted as an officer. Things suggested in Brian Daley's work and Han's friendship with Soontir Fel could be mentioned, but not expanded on.

3) no stories about exactly how Han met Chewbacca and rescued him in the present tense - no narrative describing it word for word.

The facts are - when Han was 22, Chewie was a vigilante fighting Trandoshan slavers in league with the Empire, and conducting business with Han's superior officer, Cmdr. Nyklas. Chewie sacraficed himself by staying behind in the slaver's ship which he'd attacked and rendered mostly inoperable while Wookiee women and children escaped in his own ship. Chewie used what was left of the weapons on the slave ship to cover their escape. Han Solo led a TIE Fighter / Boarder squadron against him and subdued the slave ship and it's only passenger. He had previous loyalty to Wookiees because of his adopted mother, Dewlanna (a Wookiee who helped Han when he was a slave). A year later, when Han was 23 and happened to see Chewie as a slave on Coruscant itself, in bold defiance of anti-slavery morals, Han attacked Cmdr. Nyklas and freed Chewie. The circumstances were not explicitly described, but Nyklas had been transferred to working with the slave details, and Han was not there in conjunction with that business, but interferred anyway.

He was beaten by stormtroopers and court-martialed. Chewie started trailing him with the life-debt thing afterwards, before they became partners, and Crispin picked up the story there as you know. Actually, you know all this since you read the books.

The comic dedicated to Chewbacca fleshes out some of this, and maybe that's why Crispin didn't get to write it - because Dark Horse won that part of the deal??? But it only shows Han capturing Chewbacca then refusing an order to torture him. Han's relieved of his duties for that insubordination, but Nyklas doesn't court-martial him then. At the time, I gathered Nyklas rather liked Han Solo. He didn't later :D

Meanwhile the formation of the Rebel Alliance is also described in this book with Bria Tharen - Han's first girlfriend, joining the Corellian Resistance Cell with Garm Bel Ibis, the Corellian General-turned Senator who is credited with joining Mon Mothma of Chandrilla, and Bail Organa of Alderaan, in an original triangle conspiracy to overthrow the Empire and restore the Republic. Garm was also mentioned in Timothy Zahn's books, so for an EU character appearing in the movie, he is at the top of the list. Meanwhile, Adi Gallia's parents work with him. They are also Corellian senators or representatives. (Yet no big deal is made of a Jedi - on the High Council as well - who knows her parents - or at least knows of them and that they are on the same planet as the Jedi Temple. Go figure. My guess is that she is discouraged from interacting with them and that "they are politicians and not to be trusted" - but we're way off topic there.

ROGUE PLANET:

The best part was the garabage chute races. I even made custom Obi-Wan and Anakin with their rocket wings on them from some other action figure accessories. Think it was mini-Max Steele stuff that Jack In the Box restuarants were giving out.

But that had nothing to do with the story, which was about growing their ships, facing Tarkin and evidence of the Yuuzhan Vong ...

I take it back... that was a good book! :D No sarcasm. Seriously. I just thought about re-reading it!

Thanks. Good idea.

bigbarada
07-15-2002, 11:30 AM
I never knew all that about how Han rescued Chewie, was that in the Chewie comic series? I just remember being very dissappointed when I started on the second book in AC Crispin's trilogy and seeing that the entire storyline of Han's time in the Imperial Navy and his rescue of Chewie took place between the books. I never read the Chewbacca comic since I was still to angered over them killing him off in the novels. I mean, geez, kill off the minor useless characters (like Luke, Leia, Lando or even Han) but don't kill off the true heroes of the saga!;)

I really dug Rogue Planet, so did my GM for the Star Wars RPG, we actually spent hours fitting the concept of the organic ships into the RPG rules. Of course the GM also decided that it was too expensive for my character to afford.:cry:

Tycho
07-15-2002, 02:56 PM
The Chewie comic dedicated to him after his death shows parts of his life that touched each of the characters that knew him best:

His wife, Malla, tells of how they courted, fell in love, and he fought Trandoshan slavers to free her and honor her.

The bounty hunter Malla, tells how she was left for dead and Chewie saved her, and when she came out of a coma, she heard him talking in his sleep onboard Chewie's first ship (not the Millennium Falcon) and he was saying his wife's name. Malla started her life over again because of Chewie, though she remained a bounty hunter. But she took the name Malla, to honor Mallatabuck, Chewie's wife and Chewie's love.

Itchy, Chewie's father, tells of how Chewbacca fought a rival for his wife's hand in marriage, and how some people (Wookiees) resented the fact that Chewbacca was becoming a hero to his people from his off-world battles. They were jealous and would want to betray him. They thought he attracted too much attention to Kashyyyk and the Empire would punish the Wookiees more because of the actions of a renegade Chewbacca. These Wookiees opposed him more when they learned that he'd joined the Rebel Alliance and was trying to coerce Kashyyyk's government into open rebellion with Han Solo smuggling them weapons later on (when he was Chewie's partner, obviously). Anyway, the family was threatened because of Chewie's actions.

Leia tells of her actual jealousy of Chewbacca - that when things fell apart between her and Han and a divorce was surely pending, that Chewie was a part of his life that let her husband run away. Han was stiffled by being married to the High Chief of State for the New Republic, and often felt ill-prepared or useless being a father of Jedi Knights who were greater fighters than he had ever been, and who he could not control. He'd run away with Chewbacca because he was his pal from a time in his life where he didn't feel like trapped extra-baggage. So Leia was jealous of Chewie for that, but felt so guilty about her feelings because Chewie saved her life many times, and protected her children before they became Jedi Knights. She wept because she truly loved Chewie, but felt guilty about her other feelings towards him.

Luke tells the story of Chewie's death and the fight with the Yuuzhan Vong. He relates it to Chewie's courage and his close friendship to the Wookiee, probably the non-human Luke was closest to out of any he knew his entire life. Luke also tells of how much he could feel Han's grief and how not even the Force could guide him on how to help his best friend recover from this tragedy.

Wedge told of one of Chewie's misadventures with one of Rogue Squadron's mechanics and a funny incident that occured on Hoth. Antilles also felt close to Chewbacca over the years, and he would miss him as well.

Lando told the story of how they tried to infiltrate Jabba's organization in order to rescue Han.

Han Solo himself, broke down and cried, when he found a picture of Chewbacca stuck in his old quarters on the Millennium Falcon. It was a crayon drawing by Jaina showing her growing up with Chewie. It reminded Han about one of the many misadventures with raising Jedi Kids and how Han didn't know what to do when a 5-year old Jaina Solo tangled with assassin droids and Chewbacca rescued her (sort of...Jaina actually had some of the situation under control).

R2D2 and C-3PO recorded these tributes as eulogies for Chewbacca for the New Republic archives.

I think the actual story of Han capturing Chewie was done in this style, and by the same author, but in Star Wars Tales, now that I come to think about it. The point being that Han felt guilty about possibly ruining Chewie's life by capturing him and after subjecting him to Imperial torture (Chewie spent less than 1 year of his life as an Imperial slave before Han freed him) then owing a lifedebt to a near-suicidal, homeless, jobless, Han who'd just been kicked out of the Imperial Navy. Han was so depressed that he thinks Chewie might have lived a better life with Malla, and never would have been fighting the Yuuzhan Vong with him, had he not even captured him in the first place, all those years ago.

The Yuuzhan Vong did not directly kill Chewbacca. They were destroying an inhabited planet that the crew of the Falcon were helping to evacuate the people from, when Jedi Anakin Solo fled the ship to rescue an abandoned child. The youngest Solo was supposed to be flying the ship while Han and Chewie handled the rescue. Anakin got in trouble and Chewie left to rescue him. He saved the little girl and Han's son, but everything exploded before he could get back aboard the ship itself. By that time, Anakin had taken the controls and the Force told him to move before the Falcon was destroyed with all hands. Han accused his son of abandoning Chewbacca and hated the Vong for what they were doing, and what they did to him (because of Chewie) and for a long time, he almost hated his son. Anakin left the Solo family over this incident and struck out on his own almost entirely, relentlessly fighting the Vong because of feeling Chewbacca's blood was on his hands and that his father hated him because of the Vong. Later, when his mother was nearly killed, after being captured, tortured, and nearly bled to death until her older son called upon his rage (and possibly the Dark Side) in the Force to rescue her, the family came together. Jaina Solo had been shot down in her X-wing and was temporarily blinded, as well. Han finally found a place where his family needed him as both his wife and his daughter recovered while his sons tried to lend their support and fit back in.

New Jedi Order is helluvah REAL type of dark storyline. I'm sorry you're missing out on it.

2-1B
05-27-2008, 09:11 PM
EU.... isn't that the name of the west european trade union? WHAT?...Ohhhh, right. I like my own EU, a world where 21-b is king. I believe I pitched it elsewhere here. It's a trilogy called "Take Care,Sir- the complete 21-b". I'm working on the Power droid saga next, but I'm having problems working out the relationship between him and fx-7(What a jerk, for more read "even set dressings get the blues")
Sorry, I know, I'm a jerk. I just stopped reading EU in 1980 after "splinter of the mind's eye" got roundly discounted by ESB,
tried to read "heir to the empire" thinking that it was the basis for more films, then had to stop when I got to the bit about Lando's "Land City", on top of the constantly movin walkers. I couldn't figure out the repair protocols for the thing... My least favourite part of EU has to be TPM:), though, which I still can't call Star Wars with a straight face....(HOLY COW, MABUDON's POSTED SOMETHING TO DO WITH STAR WARS!?!)

I love part 2 of that trilogy even better than the first...can't wait to see what part 3 has in store???

I will also be curious to see if the Power Droid saga ever comes to fruition.

I realised last night... I guess "STANSE" is like EU....
'cept I call it the "fuller universe of SW", or FU:):):):)
Again, sorry. I always was a rotten post.

Funniest thing about mabs' FU comment is now with the Force Unleased coming up, people are calling THAT by the FU abbreviation. Man, that is so unintentionally funny when I read that.

:me:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Funniest thing about mabs' FU comment is now with the Force Unleased coming up, people are calling THAT by the FU abbreviation. Man, that is so unintentionally funny when I read that.

:me:I've wanted to call it "ToFU," as in something that seems good for you, but there's a bad taste to it (I fear this might be the case). Problem is, it'd more correctly be "TFoU" or "ThFU," and that's no word. :upset: I will read the novel, but will probably avoid most of the other media items.

I still read and follow EU.

:you:

Phantom-like Menace
06-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Of course I support the EU. But I'm capable of acknowledging good and bad aspects of it, which seems beyond some people.

Blue2th
06-01-2008, 10:29 AM
I support EU. I mean what else do we have now? I want Star Wars to go on in one way or another. I do think that sticking as close to the canon of SW as possible is the only way I like it though.
It's a good thing SW doesn't have any time travel in it (that I know of) to reset or make irrelevant what we know and love.

Tycho
06-02-2008, 12:36 AM
I thought about how a story with time-travel in SW would work for the core characters.

Palpatine would be extremely dangerous if he could learn his future (ROTJ era)!

But with most of the characters, time travel would severely alter the SW universe:

Anakin might not turn if he learned Padme would not die in child-birth.

Qui-Gon might not even take him off Tatooine.

Obi-Wan might keep Anakin away from Padme if he could - or let him rescue his mom.

But Star Wars is very fatalistic: If Anakin rescued his mom, where would she go? It's not the Jedi's responsibility to feed and clothe her or keep Shmi at the temple. And tragedy could have still befallen her off Tatooine. Palpatine might have made sure of that if Anakin was Darth Plagueis' creation that the Sith Apprentice (turned Master) had to manipulate (as Dooku was getting very dangerous to him.)

Obi-Wan couldn't keep Anakin from Padme anyway. If Anakin learned of an attempt on her life, even if his mother was safe and his anger was in-check for a while longer, he'd still rush off to help Padme even if other Jedi had been assigned to protect her.

If Anakin and Padme don't get together, Luke and Leia will never be born.

If Palpatine had known all the future, he could have gotten rid of Han Solo, thereby setting up Vader to kill Luke over Yavin. That would have saved the Empire right there - and if Vader ever learned the truth about the identity of Red 5 after that, he still would have ruled as a Sith Lord. In Sith tradition, he was afterall supposed to kill Palpatine and select his own new apprentice anyway.

There's so many ways time-travel could mess up Star Wars. But it would be very much like the Infinities comics. However, those just changed one event in the SW films. With time-travel, you could have multiple characters altering the SW events.

To be honest, I might grow tired of reading that though. If all the EU just ended, I could be happy with that and re-read what I liked from it (Zhan, Stackpole, Luceno, Crispin, Anderson, Watson, etc.) and skip the stuff I disliked (Hambly, McIntyre, etc.)

JimJamBonds
06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Cast my vote in the "No" column.

El Chuxter
06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Some, yeah. There's good, and there's bad.

This (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ewok_Handler) is a textbook example of the bad.

jjreason
06-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty much 100% "NO" at this point myself - and I'll even go so far as to throw the Clone Wars cartoons in there (AND I'm sitting on the fence about Episodes I and II at this point, I've got to be honest).