PDA

View Full Version : How did Vader know? Was it the force?

scruffziller
07-10-2002, 08:04 PM
How was Vader so sure that when the probe droid sent back the info of Hoth that it was the rebel base. Was it due to any link that he had with Luke?

MikeAndTheBots
07-10-2002, 08:53 PM
Didn't it send back a picture of the shield generator?

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
Didn't it send back a picture of the shield generator?

That's exactly what I thought too MikeAndTheBots/ The shield generator gave them away.

MFH
07-10-2002, 09:14 PM
Don't wampas use shield generators?:D

Jedi Knightrider
07-11-2002, 01:02 AM
But there are so many uncharted settlements.

JediTricks
07-11-2002, 02:16 AM
A shield generator of that size in such a remote location? Vader didn't need the Force to tell him that one! :D I don't think there's any way to know for sure, but it seems like Vader *knew* really quickly - either because of the tactical issue or because of a Force premonition.

jjreason
07-11-2002, 02:17 AM
I think what he saw, mixed with a gut feeling brought on by the force told him that Hoth was the place. Vader says "That's it. And I'm sure Skywalker is with them." which leads me to believe he was able to feel Luke's presence when seeing the image. Scary, scary powerful. Vader kicks butt.

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
A shield generator of that size in such a remote location? Vader didn't need the Force to tell him that one! :D I don't think there's any way to know for sure, but it seems like Vader *knew* really quickly - either because of the tactical issue or because of a Force premonition.
The real reason for my question was that the admiral was dissmissing as it "it could be smugglers etc.". Perhaps since he had so much power that he immediately just said "GO":confused:

Darkross
07-11-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller

The real reason for my question was that the admiral was dissmissing as it "it could be smugglers etc.". Perhaps since he had so much power that he immediately just said "GO":confused:

Nah...Ozzel was a weazel and was just looking for "proof not leads". He was scared to take any initiative until he "came out of lightspeed too close to the system (Hoth)"...which he was obviously trying to impress Darth Vader and show off to the officers under his command and also trying to patch-up any strikes against him with Darth Vader. "You have failed me for the LAST time admiral!" Ozeel knew his butt was on the line where Vader was concerned...and he would have lived had his plan worked...but instead it backfired!

Personally I think Vader favored Captain Piett...because he followed orders and wasn't careless like Ozzel was.

Jedi Knightrider
07-11-2002, 12:16 PM
I was just playing devil's avocate before - :evil:

I do feel that he used the Force for this one. Also, Vader's dislike of Ozzel could be a factor - showing how incompetent he is to his lesser officers - He is as clumsy as he is stupid.:stupid:

morecow299
07-11-2002, 12:37 PM
the generator could have been used for electricity for smugulars
that is why the adniral said it could have been smugulars
vader did feel that it wasa them and i think it had to do something with the force

Darkross
07-12-2002, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by morecow299
the generator could have been used for electricity for smugulars
that is why the adniral said it could have been smugulars
vader did feel that it wasa them and i think it had to do something with the force

Maybe...but when Vader saw the "sheild generator" not an electricity generator he then knew it was the rebels. Why else would smugglers be using a Shield generator to hide from the Empire? Vader could care less about smugglers compared to the rebels...and that's why he said...."That's it...the Rebels are there!" Ozzel pleas with him saying it could be smugglers...I think he was grasping meaning that it could be anyone but the rebels. "That is the system and I'm sure (not certain - because if he was CERTAIN...he'd know through the force right?) that Skywalker is with them." Now perhaps he said sure...because he couldn't sense Luke's FORCE Signature over such a distance or that Luke's signature was still to weak??? But I think that when Vader saw the shield generator on the viewscreen is what tipped him off that Luke must be there with the Rebels. One thing to remember...after the battle of Yavin the Rebels lost alot of people and thus were quite small but gaining support. It wasn't until ROTJ that the rebels had somewhat of a decent fleet...still small compared to the Empire mind you. So it is unlikely that if Vader was right that the Rebels were on Hoth that it was safe to assume that it wouldn't just be one small group or part of the rebel alliance...but all of it.

Darkross
07-12-2002, 07:18 AM
Hey another tid-bit.

Han: "There isn't enough life on this ice cube to fill a space cruiser!"

If that were true wouldn't LUKE (being a force user - although weak in the force) light-up Vader's radar scope that much brighter?

chewie
07-16-2002, 12:36 AM
Smugglers wouldn't hide out on Hoth. They much prefer the dry arid most notably, warm planet of Tatooine.

Exhaust Port
07-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Why? I haven't heard that before.

Darkross
07-16-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by chewie
Smugglers wouldn't hide out on Hoth. They much prefer the dry arid most notably, warm planet of Tatooine.

I haven't heard that before either...but I suspect that it is in one of the EU books or something. I suspect that the reason that smugglers prefer Tatooine...might be because it is controlled by the Hutts and isn't under Imperial Jurisdiction...thus a haven for smugglers. Also...I suspect that they want to stay close to the action (Jabba the Hutt I suspect pays very well for his shipments.) Why else would Han Solo owe Jabba so much money for one shipment that he dumped whe he was borded?

JediTricks
07-17-2002, 03:06 AM
the EU on the slug in the asteroid field surrounding Hoth claims that it may have been put there by smugglers to keep noses out of their business and it just kept growing and growing.

Jacen Solo
07-19-2002, 11:32 AM
I think the slug could be like what happens when people get bored with exotic pets, some smuggler was no longer amused by the slug and so he flushed it.