PDA

View Full Version : What's your secret?

North_Fist
07-10-2002, 09:52 PM
Say your at Wal-Mart. And you have 6 bucks. But there is 2 figures that you have to have.What do you do?

Well, if your like me, you will take one of the figures, and put it behind Motor Oil in the Car department. Which allows you to buy the figure, go home, get the money, and not have to worry about some little punk taking your action figure. Does anyone else do this, or am i just weird?

SuperBattleDroid88
07-10-2002, 09:58 PM
I hide figures... and also find hidden figures that were not hidden by me :evil:

North_Fist
07-10-2002, 10:01 PM
exactly, if i find a hidden one that i want, and that i know someone else hide, i buy it

Beast
07-10-2002, 10:03 PM
Of course you could always put those 2 figures in layaway, or take them up to the front desk and ask them nicely to hold them, while you go get the money. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 10:04 PM
Hide and seek is the name of the game for us collectors, Loved that game as a kid. Oops sorry I guess I'm still a kid. LOL

North_Fist
07-10-2002, 10:05 PM
Sure, you can do that. But what kind of fun is that!? When I get there and pick up the second figure, I feel as if I beat the system.

Jedi Juice
07-10-2002, 10:15 PM
There's an easy way, and there's a hard way. Most choose the hard way.

Lord Tenebrous
07-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Cash is for flea markets. I use a check card for retail purchases. That way, I can forego immature choices and focus solely on resisting the temptation to buy things I don't want or need.

It works, usually. But Ephant Mon will be irresistable. :)

Jango Mango
07-10-2002, 10:35 PM
Sometimes I stand there trying to decide which figure to buy for
a half an hour ! I look at every little detail:

The first thing I do is pick through the whole shelf to find the
best looking figure that hasnt been looked at a hundred times,
I like the box to be mint, then I look very closely at the figure to
see how well the details have been painted and how well the
uniform looks, perfect stitching , everything even and level, the
eyes must be perfect, then I compare it to another nice one and
narrow it down to the best one and buy that one, I also check the
box very carefully to see if it's ever been tampered with or opened
sometimes you find a figure that has been swapped or small items
may be missing. Sometimes I just cant decide if I should buy it or
not ? so stick it behind something on the bottom shelf , it is
ussually safe for a couple of days, but after a week somebody
will probably find it, the store clerks straighten out the toys dept.
at night and they are the ones that ussaully put the item back where it belongs.

Jonna
07-10-2002, 10:58 PM
HA HA!!! Jango Mango! You can not have the mango! Yes, I am insane!

KIDD
07-10-2002, 11:22 PM
i like to hide them also

LTBasker
07-11-2002, 12:30 AM
Ask my parents to put them in lay-away, or ask if they have the extra money. :D

If you're too young for lay-away, then might try hiding one behind some stuff and then buying the one you want most right then. If you don't plan on coming back later though, then put it out in the open where a kid might see it before a scalper.

rynobot
07-11-2002, 12:37 AM
Hide figures? I can never find figures worth hiding.

Jedi_Rainman
07-11-2002, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
Hide figures? I can never find figures worth hiding.

Exactly, there are never any good figures to hide and I also agree with JJB, just put them on layaway and get them later. My god, you have 60 days, =) thats 2 months for the dumb people who don't bother to think, to get them back out. Hiding is kids play and most of us here are NOT kids anymore, but I guess its all just a way of life. Oh well :crazed:

Darth Nitwit
07-11-2002, 12:43 AM
I don't know. We get the new figures here a little later than other places, but I can wait till they come in. I am patient.

figrin bran
07-11-2002, 02:10 AM
i always carry a check card and a credit card with me so cash shortages will never keep me from getting any figures :)

Jango Mango
07-11-2002, 02:24 AM
I have another tip: if your not sure you want a certain figure,
just dont buy it because some stores like TRU and KB keep a
data base [records] of everything you return, and if you return too much stuff they may refuse to refund your money, thats why they always ask for your phone number so when you bring something back they compare it to what you write on the return slip, also to prevent scalpers from bujying up a bunch of
collectables and trying to sell them off ebay, then trying to bring
stuff back that they dont sell.

Nebulaz
07-11-2002, 02:31 AM
I hide figures in suitcases. and i stole one out of a womans shopping cart she was buying for her little kid.

Beast
07-11-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Nebulaz
I hide figures in suitcases. and i stole one out of a womans shopping cart she was buying for her little kid.
Dude, that is not cool. Not only does hiding figures in suitcases look like someone is trying to steal figures, if they go to buy that suitcase. But stealing from peoples carts, especially from kids is not cool. If I saw someone doing somthing like that in someone elses cart, I would report them. And if anyone gets caught taking stuff out of my cart, they're gonna be answering to me. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
07-11-2002, 02:50 AM
JJB on a violent spree - something must be amiss. I don't think pillaging from a kiddie-cart is in line with moral collecting either. Think of that kid missing the SW bus in life as a result of your actions, that would be a shame. We NEED the young kids on board, or else we're gonna be back to no new toys in couple of short years. That would suck.
I used to lay away like a madman at Walmart. Now that I no longer have WM to choose from, I literally have to buy everything in the first instace. My wife does not love that. I have never hidden anything, other than at the back of a peg row. If I can't afford it that day, I know there'll be another time.

2-1B
07-11-2002, 02:51 AM
If you have enough money at home for a second figure, why would you only have $6 on you when going to Wal-Mart? That's just foolish. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jango Mango
some stores like TRU and KB keep a
data base [records] of everything you return, and if you return too much stuff they may refuse to refund your money, thats why they always ask for your phone number so when you bring something back they compare it to what you write on the return slip

When I worked for TRU, those numbers were collected for the purpose of mailing out coupons but they seemed to only send out coupons for baby products . . . most people give their number and never get the solicitations.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-11-2002, 03:10 AM
I hide them- enough said

Forhekset
07-11-2002, 08:46 AM
I just remember to have a good wad of cash on me when I go hunting. Actually lately I don't even hunt anymore; I just show up at Wal-Mart around 6am on a certain day and bam, there's a massive load of new figures on the pegs. It's too easy, really. What's going to be tough though is getting those upcoming Target exclusives, I think...I don't have their stocking system figured out as well as Wal-Mart's, plus the Targets in my area don't put out anywhere near the number of figures that Wal-Mart does when they restock.

Oh yeah, and about those stores keeping databases of phone numbers and such, I give a different number out every time they ask me for one at TRU, none of which is ever my phone number. I used to flatly refuse to give it out; now I just give them fake numbers.

Darkross
07-11-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Dude, that is not cool. Not only does hiding figures in suitcases look like someone is trying to steal figures, if they go to buy that suitcase. But stealing from peoples carts, especially from kids is not cool. If I saw someone doing somthing like that in someone elses cart, I would report them. And if anyone gets caught taking stuff out of my cart, they're gonna be answering to me. :mad: :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yup! I'm with JarJar...totally not cool to steal figures out of someone else's cart. You must REALLY be desparate swipe figures from someone else's possession (cart). Not even us Sith would be so nasty...I hope that something like that doesn't happen to you! What comes around...goes around!

OriginalBryGuy
07-11-2002, 11:35 AM
Riiiight. If you're at Wal-Mart and you have 6 bucks, the smart thing is buying MORE then 2 figures and put them in layaway. Then no one can find and get them, and you only have to put down a fraction of the cost.

Now that route is sad, but smart if you really want them. Hiding figures is usually not worth it.

I either have money to buy the figures or leave them for someone else. Yes, tis true, I'm just that nice.

thespar
07-11-2002, 11:43 AM
Swapping toys form a good is so low that i think i will have to put the scalpers above you.

Jango Mango
07-11-2002, 11:50 AM
I dont hide figures very often because I can ussually decide if I
want to buy it or not, money is no problem, I carry my Visa card
and at least $50.00 to $100.00 cash all the time, I just dont like the hassle of returning things to the store, I dont want to get a
reputation as "the guy that is always returning stuff'. Sometimes
I might stick something way in the back and come back the next day to buy it if I change my mind, I dont like using Lay away
because I like the freedom of not having to be committed to
buying something.

QLD
07-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Irony = people who complain about scalpers, yet they hide figures and steal them from kids carts.

North_Fist
07-11-2002, 12:25 PM
well atleast its good to know that my first topic is controversial:)

Jedi Juice
07-11-2002, 12:28 PM
All this talk about hiding figures and putting them in layaway gets me curious. I never see any other person looking at Star Wars figures when I go hunting. It's really strange, because I've been many places at all times of the day, and I am usually the only one ever looking through the pegs. It's mysterious!

Anyway, I've hidden figures before, but never had put them in layaway, or in a place that someone else could be accused of stealing.

North_Fist
07-11-2002, 12:30 PM
The only people i see looking at the figures are 5 year old kids with there mom saying "Dont you already have that one?"

I hate that sentence!

Jonna
07-11-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by North_Fist
The only people i see looking at the figures are 5 year old kids with there mom saying "Dont you already have that one?"

I hate that sentence!

HA! I think that we are shopping at the same stores.:D

thespar
07-11-2002, 12:44 PM
I know i go look for a lot over the week-ends and 9 times out of ten i am the only looking. Far as hiding them i think that is just wrong but if i find one that is hidden and i need i usally take it.

Jango Mango
07-11-2002, 01:03 PM
the reason you dont see other grown people at the STAR WARS
isle at the store is because we are swift and silent like a Jedi

"May the force be with you"

Jonna
07-11-2002, 01:19 PM
POP SECRET!

Naaaaa! I think it is because most of us are grown men who get excited over finding a shiny, new toy and that really isn't the norm.

Jargo
07-11-2002, 02:48 PM
I never see kids in the toystores anymore. Strange but it's usually just me, my partner (with the credit card) and the staff. One assistant out in the store aisles pretending to work and one cashier pretending not to notice me standing in front of them waggling the items I want to pay for.

If I can't find what I want in the stores I buy online. There's no arrogant attitudes online. Only difference is you can't check for paint defects or faulty packaging or badly packaged goods.

The thing I used to hear from parents to their kids is "NO! just one and that's final." And then a long whining scream from the kid as the parents drag it from the display clutching a mashed up figure. So if the kids aren't buying then it must be either eager beaver collectors early in the morning doing the speed walk to the display and snaffling everything. Or it's the local scalper stores coming in and buying up caseloads to resell at inflated prices. It certainly isn't kids that's for sure.