PDA

View Full Version : Which Vintage S.W. figure did you buy first ? (Merged)

GNT
09-22-2001, 03:20 AM
Based on the thread by lynnferd named "Your First Figure" at the old SSG boards:
http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=15&PID=4862
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Luke Skywalker to Darth Vader, From Fx-7 to Lando, From Leia Boushh to Amanaman, Do you remember your first Star Wars figure that you got? Can you remember your first figure from all the movie lines(Aka ANH,ESB,ROTJ,POTF (and if you collect Ewoks and Droids))?

If so please tell :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2001, 12:14 PM
Alas, I cannot participate in this thread, since my "firsts" are the same as in the old thread. Wait; I just did! Hooray!

But just to remind, Cloth Caped Jawa was my first ever SW toy.

bigbarada
09-22-2001, 01:56 PM
I was five and my parents let me pick out my own toy for the first time ever. I picked Artoo, cuz I thought he was cute. My brother picked Chewbacca. This was 1978, when the toys first hit the shelves.

Lobito
09-25-2001, 12:57 PM
Ok, my first figures were Luke, Han, Chewie, 3PO, R2, Darth, OB1 and Jawa.

ESB...Luke Bespin Outfit

ROTJ...A. Akbar and Bib Fortuna

POTJ...Amanaman and imperial dignitary.

No droids or ewoks toys...(i never found them).

Fulit
09-25-2001, 01:25 PM
The first Obi-wan, the one with the vinyl cape from ANH. Which is interesting, since it came out when I was about 1. Someone in my family was thinking ahead.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2001, 04:11 PM
Echoing Bel-Cam's statement...

Posted previously: C-3P0 and R2-D2 for the outrageous 1978 price of $1.79 each at Kiddie City!!!

dukes
09-29-2001, 05:36 AM
Would have been Darth Vader and Emperors Royal Guard around 1984 / 1985, I remember calling them the Red and Black Knight at the time, what a dummy!!!
First POTF was a Short Saber in Long Tray Darth Vader (UK version)....

bigbarada
09-29-2001, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by dukes
Would have been Darth Vader and Emperors Royal Guard around 1984 / 1985, I remember calling them the Red and Black Knight at the time, what a dummy!!!
First POTF was a Short Saber in Long Tray Darth Vader (UK version)....

Hey, that's not so bad. I remember pretending Artoo was a two legged cannon!:o

dukes
09-30-2001, 07:35 PM
I definitely did the canon business as well....

Bel-Cam Jos
10-01-2001, 07:07 PM
Upside down Power Droids made cool Jawa hover-type vehicles, using the legs as the controls.

ThomasLane
10-02-2001, 12:34 AM
My first figure was Vader, followed closely by C3PO. After I spent about 3 hours calling every store in town looking for Star Wars figures, I finally found some and sent my Mom out shopping. She came home with a few dozen (I think they were less than $1 each) and used them as allowance for me and my brothers and sister for a while.

S3PO
10-02-2001, 07:40 PM
I remember it was a Friday night and my father came home from work. He brought an original Luke and Leia home. He gave me Luke and my sister Leia. The next day I woke up and Vader was there in my room and then the next day he gave me an Obi-Wan.

JediCole
10-10-2001, 06:30 PM
There were four....
The Early Bird Four!

I can still remember finding that little box in the mail and pulling the white tray out containing the harbingers of the rest of my life!

Sith Worm
10-24-2001, 09:23 PM
Well I had most of them as A kid ,but a few years ago when I wanted to fill in the missing figures that were lost in battle or lost there head or limbs do to over active battles as a child. The first I bought was the first Han from A little store called Lone star comics when I checked out the chashier handed me A flyer for A convention that weekend...
...and the rest is A long long line of green paper. A very very long line of green paper.

broctoon
10-25-2001, 02:51 PM
First vintage figure? Mine was a hand me down from my older cousin in '78 or '79. The figure was a "Sand Person" aka Tusken Raider. I still have it to this day, but of course he has no weapon or cape. His head is really loose, too. But, damn, I still remeber playing with that thing for hours in my parents' dining room.

Around that time I also had a generic R2-D2 that I called "iggle iggle iggle" 'cause that's the sound I thought R2 made in the movie. Ahhh, those were the days.

Wooooof
10-25-2001, 07:25 PM
My first figures also were hand me downs: a C-3P0 with a broken off hand and a super-loose Hammerhead.

darth chuck
10-25-2001, 08:51 PM
I got the original 12, X-wing, Tie, and Landspeeder for Christmas, 1978. But the first one that I opened was Darth Vader.

jsb21
10-26-2001, 06:18 PM
Mine has to be lUKE AND DARTHVADER.

rbaumhauer
10-28-2001, 07:00 AM
Early-bird Luke with telescoping saber. I think that early-bird R2 was mine also, but I think I traded it to my sister for another figure (back in the days when half the figures were hers, and half mine).

Obi-Don
10-28-2001, 07:08 AM
My 1st was Luke with the yellow hair.The only one that I have been able to hold on to.

hamsterboy
11-03-2001, 01:46 AM
Mine was R2-D2. My dad didn't want me to have them 'cause he thought he would not see them and step on them.

Tarkin the otter
11-15-2001, 05:22 PM
Mine was Threepio. Strangely, I felt the need to polish him every time I touched him. Anybody else go through that? Or was it just me?

GNT
11-18-2001, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Tarkin the otter
Mine was Threepio. Strangely, I felt the need to polish him every time I touched him. Anybody else go through that? Or was it just me?

Its just you :rolleyes: I guess alot of people polish him these days :)

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 10:45 PM
So which vintage S.W. figure did you or your parents buy first ?
I remember that Luke Skywalker (blonde hair ) was the first one I ever got. Then came Han, Chewie, Vader etc.

figrin bran
07-10-2002, 10:50 PM
i can't remember but i think it was r2.

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 10:52 PM
R2, man I thought that was cool as a kid.

TIE Pilot
07-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Do you remember your first Star Wars figure that you got?

Ahh.. memories..

I remember finding a bin load of SW figures at a Jewel grocery store back when they were first released. I still remember how excited I was to have finally found them. I bought 2.. Luke and a Stormtrooper.

Now here I am, 20 some odd years down the road.. and I ~still~ get a thrill seeing bins of new figures :)

JON9000
07-12-2002, 02:32 PM
The figures I ever bought with birthday money were Bespin Han and ANH Leia on the Empite Card in early '81.

The first figure I remember opening was a SW C-3PO in '78 that my Aunt got me. I was 3 years old, but I still remember it.

Jonna
07-12-2002, 02:41 PM
No idea. You would have to take my brain out and dust it for that one. I do know that I bought quite a few of the first Vaders and Solos because I kept breaking the heads off. I was funny years later to dig though my parents attic and find all those bodies.:stupid:

billfremore
07-12-2002, 02:47 PM
My first Star Wars figure ever was Chewbacca.

Ahh chewie...

I was very, very happy when I was finally able to pick another one up a few years ago along with a vintage bespin Han.

They now sit very happily in the cockpit of my Millenium Falcon.

I am complete! :D

AdmiralPiett
07-13-2002, 05:06 AM
My first guy was Bossk but I didn't know who it was or that it was a Star Wars figure because my dad found it at his work and brought it home to me. It wasn't in a package and I hadn't seen ESB yet. It was only years later that I came upon it after seeing some package backs that I realized that it was a SW toy. My first 4 figures were Bossk, Greedo, Emperor's Royal Guard, and Stormtrooper but none of them were new or even complete. They were just stuff that my friends gave me or that my dad found. Then one of my friends gave me some of his guys. Then my cousin gave me all of his guys and ships... and it hasn't really stopped since.
Piett

Hellboy
07-14-2002, 03:48 AM
Ah yes the day my life changed forever. It was in 1978 and I was 6 yrs. old, my dad brought home with him the Early Bird 4-Pack with Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, and R2-D2. I couldn't have been any happier and when my dad told me there were more of these action figures coming out soon I knew what I'd be asking for on my birthday and at Christmas time. :D

tagmac
07-18-2002, 05:34 PM
I got my first figures for my 6th birthday. They were Luke Skywalker (ANH), Princess Leia (ANH), Hoth Han, Chewbacca, Death Star Droid, R2-D2 w/ Sensorscope, Darth Vader, Ben Kenobi, Yoda, and the Wampa.

LusiferSam
07-19-2002, 10:25 PM
My first was Yoda. I was 3 and it was present for the heck of it. Before that I was using Fisher-Price little people for my star wars figures. It be a whole 6 months before I got 4-LOM. What an eternity.

jet chan
07-22-2002, 06:00 PM
my very first figure was greedo, the first one i bought was the big head han solo, i gave it to my mom cause i knew she liked him i think she still has him which is more than i can say about my collection:cry: :crazed:

Captain Trips
07-23-2002, 09:20 AM
Han, Chewie, Luke, Vader, and a Stormtrooper along with the Falcon for my 6th birthday.

Still rates as one of the best days of my life...

Jawakiller
07-24-2002, 01:04 AM
my first figure is a blur but i can tell you i have fond memories of playing with them as a kid. born in '77, brother five years older, we had 3 of everything. one for my me, one for my brother, one for my mom. i can still remember my mother taking us to a little toy shop and purchasing the dagobah playsets (and a hulahoop). so my mom is the cause of all this that runs in my veins for life. Thank you mom.

jet chan
07-24-2002, 11:39 AM
my family too was and is supportive of my star wars stuff

Deoxyribonucleic
07-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Stormtrooper and C-3P0 at K-Mart in 1978 - still have 'em :) Next year they will be 25 years old :sur:

robman71
07-24-2002, 04:54 PM
R2-D2 and C-3po both were a birthday present in 78 from my uncle. I also got the Landspeeder that birthday.

DahrJin
07-24-2002, 05:34 PM
My very first one was Vader! Still have him, he's standing here on my desk as I type this. :D

gibbspaulus
07-25-2002, 11:47 AM
My first was Bespin Luke - and he's been one of my favourite figures in all his forms over the years!

sheldonwt
07-25-2002, 01:32 PM
As far as vintage firgures go, I can't remember the first one I got, but the only figure I remember having is Luke in Bespin Gear. We had so many, but he is the only one I remember playing with.

EreDos-DeDos
07-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Greetings!
Hi everyone, this is my first post, my name's Vic and I dig old toys, especially Star Wars!
When ANH came out I still lived in South America, which in those days lagged about 6 months behind for new toys....bummer. Luckily my Dad was on a trip to Canada and he picked up some figures from the now defunct catalog store Consumer's Distributing. Consumer's used to sell their figures in multi-packs, similar to the Sears multi's, but in plain white boxes with an item code sticker. He brought me back two 3 packs, which included Luke, Leia, Chewie, R2-D2, C-3P0, and Vader. The lot were mostly 12 backs, but a couple were 20A's....as I re-call drooling over the proto Cantina, which I still think looks cooler than the production version:)
When Empire came out, Consumer's put out the Multi-packs again, this time including 5 figures.....I begged for weeks and finally scored the set that included Han Hoth, Stormtrooper Hoth, Rebel Soldier, FX-7, and Bossk.
Finally, the first Jedi figure I got was Lando Skiff Guard.....I remember at the time, it was a tough choice between it and the Biker Scout....Lando won marginally because that removable helmet was too cool! I think that was the first time Kenner did that, along with Leia Boushh.:)

plasticfetish
07-28-2002, 03:54 AM
Early Bird Set.
I think I got the coupon for x-mas and I remember waiting and waiting for that thing to come in the mail. By the time those figures showed up, every kid I new was already obsessed with Star Wars. I was so freaked out when the box showed up, those toys could have been made out of dryer lint and I would have loved them. Fortunately they weren't ... somehow I still have 'em today ... they've survived pets, siblings and my parent's yard sales.

:]

Darth Vellner
08-15-2002, 03:33 PM
I was Born in 77' so by the time I was 2 or 3 my brothers (8 & 9 years older)allready had a lot. And, they all became mine...ALL MINE...Ha HA HA!!!!!...................but then I got into D@M G.I.JOE*
and traded away all the star wars figures for joes "STUPID"

Darth Sidious
08-15-2002, 04:46 PM
I wasnt alive in the vintage days, so the first one I got was a loose Zuckuss. (NOT 4-LOM). I still like the Zuckuss, not as much as the new on though.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Darth Vellner
but then I got into D@M G.I.JOE*
and traded away all the star wars figures for joes "STUPID"
I did the reverse; trading virtually all my Joe stuff for SW. :eek: All I have left are a few weapons and maybe a backpack. But I do have extras of DS Droid, Bespin Han, blue Luke Jedi saber and cloth cape, etc.

Here's a side question: do you remember the first figure YOU bought for yourself? My Jawa was a gift. In fact, I think almost all my 1983 and earlier figures were given to me. Hmm... I think I might've bought POTF Lando General with my own moola... :confused:

Hellboy
08-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

Here's a side question: do you remember the first figure YOU bought for yourself? My Jawa was a gift. In fact, I think almost all my 1983 and earlier figures were given to me. Hmm... I think I might've bought POTF Lando General with my own moola... :confused:

Good Question. If my memory serves me correctly I purchased my first figure with my allowance when I was 8 yrs. old. It was 2-1B Medic Droid at K-mart for $2 I believe. :D Sadly I no longer have him or any other SW toys from my youth because I couldn't store them in my first small apartment so I was forced to part with it all. :cry: I had everything form ANH, ESB and most of the stuff from ROTJ but stopped collecting before the POTF line was released because I started to get into G.I. Joe. My love for Star Wars never died though and I now spend a good chunk of my income trying to recapture my youth by buying the same figures I once had. :greedy:

scruffziller
08-23-2002, 02:28 PM
I think it was C3PO.