PDA

View Full Version : U P S Sucks

KIDD
07-10-2002, 09:57 PM
I shipped out a sacul figure to one of the members here on ssg and it was damaged during shipping. Has this happened to anyone else?:mad: :mad:

Beast
07-10-2002, 09:59 PM
Ack, that sucks Kidd. How badly was it damaged, and did you ship it insured? Sorry to hear this happened. I still don't have a Sacul, though I hope to try trading for one soon. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

KIDD
07-10-2002, 10:03 PM
i shipped it in a star case and wrapped the star case in bubble wrap and put packing peanuts all around it in the box. yes i insured it for 200.00 and yes i put a claim through

DarthBrandon
07-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Geeze, that's just terrible KIDD, I hope you get your money out of it.

KIDD
07-10-2002, 10:12 PM
I hope so to just to teach them to be more carefull with their packages

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-10-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by KIDD
I hope so to just to teach them to be more carefull with their packages

During my time at school I worked for a packaging company part-time. We packaged jewelry boxes and shipped them to various jewelers around the country. We shipped with both UPS and FedEx.

On busy days we would have up to 10 pallets of boxes just waiting to be shipped. We'd have up to 40 boxes on each of the pallets. At around 4 o'clock every day the UPS and FedEx driver would show up. Keep in mind we are probably stop #12 out of #20 stops the guys have to make, meaning they were in a hurry to get our packages and get the heck out of there (we had the most packages usually out of all their stops :D )

Anyway, two of us at the company would form an assembly line with the driver. We each would pass the cartons to each other until it reached the driver. He would put the boxes anywhere there was room even if he had to kick in violently or stack a 40 pound box on a 10 pound box, he would do it. If it was a light box we just launch it like a football into the truck. If he dropped it he dropped it. He didn't care, he was in a rush to get out of here. Often a package got dented, crushed or stepped on.

Moral of the story: Once packages are out of your hands there is no guarantee, no matter how many times you write fragile that it is safe. However, our driver handled commercial shipments. Those drivers who deliver residentially probably treat their boxes with more care since they have a lighter load to carry.

rynobot
07-11-2002, 12:00 AM
hmm, I was told recently that all UPS packages automaticcly have $100 insurance on them. Either way you gain $200, enough to buy 3 Saculs.

Beast
07-11-2002, 12:05 AM
And then he can sell me the damgaed one at a nice discount for my collection. Since I will open him anyway, right KIDD? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
07-11-2002, 12:25 AM
I would think UPS would apprehend the package and replace it with the cash.

QLD
07-11-2002, 06:02 AM
Well, usually with the insurance claims such as this, they pay you what it will cost to replace it, which, with current market price, is around 75 dollars. I doubt they will give you two hundred.

TeeEye7
07-11-2002, 07:15 AM
....here's a chance to share your pictures of YOUR shipping disaster from a year or two ago.......:crazed:

It wasn't UPS. It was TNT....no, that's what it looked like they used on the boxes....no, wait! It was USPS! Yeah, one more "S".

Oops! Sorry, I brought that letter up accidentally;)

Forhekset
07-11-2002, 08:09 AM
I've shipped a lot of figures to members on this board, but I always used the USPS. No complaints so far, fortunately, and everyone tells me that their figures arrived in great condition. I also ship stuff to Sweden quite frequently to my girlfriend's sister, and it arrives safe and sound. I've heard quite a few horror stories about UPS, plus seen a few in person. Here at work we ordered a bad@ss new system from Dell which shipped in several boxes. It wasn't raining that day, but when UPS delivered the boxes, all of them were soaking wet and crushed in several places. The CPU and monitor both had large scratches and dings in them. So, my boss got his digital camera and took pictures of everything and sent them to our contact at Dell, who then took them to UPS. To make a long story short, Dell delivered a new system to us that UPS paid for completely. That's just one of several problems we've had with UPS, which is why we use FedEx at work exclusively. FedEx has their screw-ups now and then, but packages never arrive damaged like they do all the time with UPS.

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 08:58 AM
I hate UPS!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stand their system because I am never home, I always miss the driver because I'm not home. I have noone I can leave it with. Most of the packages I get won't be allowed to be left with neighboors at the door, nor would I want to. My apartment office won't take it for me and my workplace won't take it for me. And because of that I have to drive 25 miles to the nearest center to get my package. Take out my whole morning the few off mornings that I have to do that. Plus what is really dumb, none of the places in town that let you drop off packages for UPS to ship, can you let them drop off packages for you to pick up!!! I hate it. That is why I only want places to use Postal service. Nothing beats the original!!!!!!!
Probably why people get crappy service with them is that they don't pay squat and will hire anybody. Postal service, they pay awesome and you got to be sharp, sharp minded to pass their tests!! Sounds like they got the YPS, the UPS of Yankerville (of Crank Yankers)!!!!!!!!:D

QLD
07-11-2002, 10:38 AM
Actually, UPS pays quite well. My friend, who is also a forumite, does rather well there, as do many others. You can usually make a full time salary doing part time work.

Jedi Juice
07-11-2002, 11:21 AM
I usually ship using USPS too, but I receive shipments from UPS, Fed Ex, and USPS, in case anyone was interested.

Jonna
07-11-2002, 11:25 AM
I have never had any problems with UPS. Yes, it is a bit annoying when they come and you are not home to sign for it, but it is better then them just leaving it on the ground.

JediTricks
07-12-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by TeeEye7
....here's a chance to share your pictures of YOUR shipping disaster from a year or two ago.......:crazed:

It wasn't UPS. It was TNT....no, that's what it looked like they used on the boxes....no, wait! It was USPS! Yeah, one more "S".

Oops! Sorry, I brought that letter up accidentally;) Heh heh, "S" joke. (It's funny 'cause it's a 2-year-old gag from a thread that had no right to exist in the first place :D)

Oh, and I did think of posting that page, but since it is USPS and not UPS, I wasn't sure it was appropriate. Luckily, it is now. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/jeditricks/usps/