PDA

View Full Version : C-3P0 on Ben Kenobi card

NEMISIS
07-10-2002, 11:01 PM
in an Australian Department store in 1995, I saw a C-3P0 figure on a Ben Kenobi card, grabbed it straight away. Anyone else have a mis-printed carded figure and what would be the rough estimate of this figure? thanks

Rogue II
07-11-2002, 12:27 AM
Most likely a fake. Someone bought both figures and swaped the figures and re-sealed the bubble. It's not really worth anything.

NEMISIS
07-11-2002, 10:45 PM
How can it be a fake when I purchased it straight from a Department store myself? and besides I'm sure you can tell a sealed version from a resealed version!

cohens4
07-12-2002, 12:56 AM
cool find. some people are really into error carded figures. some arent. it really depends on the collector. i am personally very into error figures.

this figure does not at all have to be a fake. you should be able to tell if it was resealed. mispackaging doesnt happen often, but it certainly does happen. especially packaging errors where they pack the wrong insert with the figure. (ie the wrong freeze frame, or comm tech chip)

some people would say that a figure that is packaged without the gun or saber or some other accessory is worthless to them. however, most of the times on ebay they sell for about $100. sometimes more than that. it really depends on the collector. i personally would never spend that much, but people do. the bottom line, as cliche as it sounds, is that it is worth whatever someone is willing to spend on it..........

hope that helps...
stephen

NEMISIS
07-28-2005, 06:01 PM
well, it's July 2006, and I still have this figure lol

Slicker
07-28-2005, 06:36 PM
How can it be a fake when I purchased it straight from a Department store myself?Someone may have wanted a Ben and already had a 3PO, so he popped and swapped then returned.
and besides I'm sure you can tell a sealed version from a resealed version! Not necessarily. Some people are really, really good at resealing figures. I don't know why anyone would waste there time to do a good reseal for a damn Obi-Wan figure.

There is always a chance that it could be legit but odds are...

Bobby Fett
07-28-2005, 09:41 PM
well, it's July 2006, and I still have this figure lol

Did I miss something? :D

bobafrett
07-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Nemisis originally posted about this in 2002, it is now 2005, and he still has the figure for which he talked about in his 1st post. I had to do some heeavy research for your answer Bobby Fett!

Kidhuman
07-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Well consiodering the way some of the ROTS figs showed up with wrong inserts I could see this happening.

NEMISIS
07-29-2005, 08:11 AM
I'll take some photos when I'm back at work next week...I'll try and get some extreme closeups...ok, see ya from Australia!. Been a while since I've handled this figure...

Rebo's_Guitarist
07-29-2005, 08:23 AM
I have seen entire waves of "foriegn" figures all released on the same card, ex. a wave of 8 different figures were all packaged on a Luke Stormtrooper card. I dont know if this is any help becuase those are considered "bootleg" figure and are far inferior to the real thing. So unless the figure and packaging are really bad (and you WILL be able to tell) this probably isnt the case.

NEMISIS
07-30-2005, 02:47 AM
So unless the figure and packaging are really bad (and you WILL be able to tell) this probably isnt the case.

The card is in C10 condition, mint as...no folds, bubble cracks/dents...

CaptainSolo1138
08-05-2005, 07:02 AM
I found this on YakFace.com:

4. I recently found a POTF2 Chewbacca inserted on a Saga Tie Fighter Pilot card, but the bubble doesn't appear to have been tampered with, except at the very bottom, it looks to have been lifted, but the creases around the bubble, look factory sealed. So, my question is, could this be the doings of some collector who professionally did this, just to get his money back for the Tie Fighter Pilot, or to see if anybody would actually buy it, and think it's a mistake by Hasbro? It looks if it's a Hasbro production error, but the figure is a 1995 POTF2 Chewbacca on a 2004 Saga Card. Like I said, the card and bubble don't look if it has been tampered with, except for a little lift of the plastic under the bubble on the card. What do you think, and is this worth anything to the average collector? - Tim

"If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat" - Terrell Owens

Forgive the football reference but, in this case, the quote is appropriate. What you have here is a fake. It doesn't take much to swap out a figure by lifting a bubble and that is what this sounds like. I would believe that someone pulled a scam over here before I would believe that someone did this at a factory in the Orient.
As for the price, it's more than likely worth less than a regular carded Kenobi. While it may have a high level of collectability to you (and that's fine. We all have stuff like that.), it's not a "standard" variant or one you would see listed in pricing publications. Think of it this way: It's like buying a Dodge Viper (the packaging) and discovering it has a Ford Focus engine (the figure) in it. While it might be cool to one person, it's considered nothing but a mistake by a million others.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, I'm just trying to help. :)

NEMISIS
08-12-2005, 08:26 PM
as promised...

Slicker
08-13-2005, 10:46 AM
If it is a fake someone really wanted to make it look real. It's really good seal and from the pics I can't see any lines where it may have been resealed.

Kidhuman
08-13-2005, 11:28 AM
Looks real nice to me.

CaptainSolo1138
08-13-2005, 12:21 PM
I certainly don't doubt that it's real, I just wouldn't call it a "variant".

Turbowars
08-13-2005, 06:05 PM
It's not a variant, it's error.

Kidhuman
08-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Definitly an error.

NEMISIS
08-14-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks guys...it only took me a few years to get pics posted. I initially created this topic on 11 August, 2002.

swjunk
08-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Nice figure Nemisis.

And it is worth more than a normally carded figure, I assure you. There are collectors out there like myself that pay extra for these errors.

Take care,

swjunk
POTF2.com