PDA

View Full Version : Would You Want Hasbro to Do this...take a look

BillyJAck
07-11-2002, 06:00 AM
Well I don't know if you've all seen mattel's rerelease of all the MOTU figures. They look just as they did back in the eighties and are in the same blister pack and card backing but then thats in another anniversay type package. I love this idea. Now Would you want Hasbro to rerelease some of the vintage star wars figures in there original packaging? Not all of the 93 but like 20-25 different figures. And if they don't have the molds theres ways they could get around this. I would love this and would buy every single one. I'd pay $25 for each. It would BE GREAT and sell very well i think. Some of these are very expensive and It would be great for some collectors to get the piece cheap when the only difference was the date. And use the old Kenner Logo on the front of the package. I mean nice QUALITY and just like the vintage. Where you can tell them apart from the dates really. What do you think?

Figures I'd like to see done if they would do this next year for the 25th anniversary of the toy line.

POTF Han Carbonite
POTF Anakin Skywalker(aussie release very $$$$)
POTF Yak Face (on american or tri logo potf card? No US release)
POTF Luke Stormtrooper
POTF Lando General
POTF Imperial Dignitary
POTF Nikto(aussie release very $$$$)
POTF ATAT Driver(aussie release very $$$$)
POTF Gammorrean Guard (aussie release very $$$$)
POTF Stormtrooper
ROTJ Boba Fett
SW 21back Boba Fett
POTF YODA
ESB 48 back no offer 4-Lom (now zuckuss)
POTF Darth Vader
POTF Ben Kenobi
POTF JAWA
ROTJ Princess Leia Organa (White outfit)
POTF Han Solo Endor
ROTJ Emperors Royal Guard
the first 12 figures on the first card
and the rest of the POTF releases.

This would sell great and would be so much fun to have.

Would you want this? gimme some feedback

billy

Also I'd love I mean JUST LOVE to see them sell the POTF figures that never got a release. Take a look at the old toy fair catalog of figures that didn't make it to POTF cards back in 1985. here is a pic but its very small i can't find the big one

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-speci/potf/paperwork/tf-85p50.jpg

But just look at them they make your mouth water...the Boba Fett is beautiful. I would love to see these 20 figures finally make it on POTF CARDS as well as the other 50 figures.

AdmiralPiett
07-11-2002, 06:29 AM
I think I'd just about crap myself if I ever saw that. I'd easily pay $25 for any of the POTF figs that you listed because right now figs like Han Carbonite go for around $50 loose. Also, I'm pretty sure they still have the molds. They still have the GI Joe molds and all the molds to the vintage Star Wars vehicles that they are constantly tweeking so why wouldn't they have the vintage figure molds?
Piett

LTBasker
07-11-2002, 09:25 AM
I'd give'em what they originally cost when they were released: $3. There'd be no real reason to over-price the figure except to cheat collectors. For 25 vintage figures, it's much more realistic to spend $75 for the set of 25 than $625 when nothing is new.

thespar
07-11-2002, 10:30 AM
I will like to see that to but i will go along with LtBasker they but do not make them 25. Go look at the but a the price the he-man first came out with comparer the 10.99 rerelease. And adjust the prices as need.

Lord Tenebrous
07-11-2002, 04:45 PM
I'd rather try to track the originals down or wait for Hasbro to create new versions. I'm not paying for what amounts to a less-detailed mold created from an action figure.

Not to mention that Hasbro just lost the Warner Bros. licence to Mattel, and that company is simply using the re-releases as a springboard for new Masters of the Universe product.

JON9000
07-11-2002, 05:08 PM
I think the original 12 backs would be cool

BanthaPoodoo
07-11-2002, 05:28 PM
I think that it would be a neat plan to have the vintage re-released (much like the box set that had the widescreen card included)

When that came out I stepped right up with my money & said, thanks!!!!

I would definitely buy anything retro!

R3-T7
07-11-2002, 06:07 PM
It would be a very cool thing if they re-release some of the vintage stuff in the original package design. I just love those black blister cards with the great movie shots of the included figure. The new lightgreen, red or blue packaging design never really felt like "star wars" for me.

Beast
07-11-2002, 06:11 PM
It likely won't happen. I don't know aout you guys, but alot of us old timers remeber the negative reaction that the TRU 4-pack of vintage re-issues receieved. There were even reports of people purposfully damaging the packages, because they hated the re-issues so much. Hasbro said that it was a big mistake, and they would never do it again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
07-11-2002, 07:11 PM
Well thank the maker for that. It's a hidious prospect as far as I'm concerned. Imagine the poorer quality sculpts made of the poorer quality plastics they use now. Dear oh dear, how tragic that would be. I'd rather they concentrate on getting the newer figures right and getting rid of the lousy gimmicks to give us decent sculpts and decent product. At a decent price too. :)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-12-2002, 02:15 AM
I think it be cool if Hasbro did that.

MikeAndTheBots
07-12-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Well thank the maker for that. It's a hidious prospect as far as I'm concerned. Imagine the poorer quality sculpts made of the poorer quality plastics they use now. Dear oh dear, how tragic that would be. I'd rather they concentrate on getting the newer figures right and getting rid of the lousy gimmicks to give us decent sculpts and decent product. At a decent price too. :)
Thank you for just letting me quote you since you said it first.

icatch9
07-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
It likely won't happen. I don't know aout you guys, but alot of us old timers remeber the negative reaction that the TRU 4-pack of vintage re-issues receieved. There were even reports of people purposfully damaging the packages, because they hated the re-issues so much. Hasbro said that it was a big mistake, and they would never do it again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I think Jar Jar hit this one on the nose. No one liked the vintage 4 pack. From what I can tell it seems everyone who has all or most of the Vintage figures hate this idea, and everyone who has none or very few love this idea. Such a pickle.

Well, I have the whole vintage line (all 94) and I would love to see this happen. I know it won't, but it would be very cool. Dispite what Hasbro says about not seeing any money from secondary market prices, they do. Sure none of it goes in thier pocket, but the second market frenzy causes thier new product to be very popular. More people buy old Star Wars stuff spawns more people buy the stuff at the store that's tons cheaper. They know this and that's why they love the secondary market for older stuff. They don't like secondary market on new stuff, because that just ****es people off, and then they stop buying because it's to expensive to buy the figs they want.

Again, it's great idea I'm sure the people at Hasbro have kicked around a lot, but thanks to the revolt of the vintage 4 pack it will never happen. No need to ****off any more fans that you have to :D

Bent Wookie
07-12-2002, 12:52 PM
"alot of us old timers remember the negative reaction that the TRU 4-pack of vintage re-issues receieved."

Jeez, since when is 1995 old? :eek: Well, I guess it has been 7 years, but man seems like only yesterday! Where does the time go...

I'd be all for the vintage reissues but only if they featured the vintage packaging. I love the originals, but they just don't quite hold up to today's sculpting standards. The cardbacks, on the other hand, are extremely cool images of a timeless trilogy. And an awesome yet simple layout to boot! How could you go wrong? I think maybe some of the bad will toward the reissues was because of using the new package design. That and maybe the timing just wasn't quite right. Only in the past couple of years has the nostalgia wave really kicked into high gear and the acceptance of these "reissues" come about...

Besides, why would you want a vintage mold on a new cardback that you already have loose? It's all about the nostalgia and the memories. Going back in your mind to a simpler time. Just looking up at your wall and seeing that cardback and figure would bring back images of your childhood. It just isn't the same in a different package, for me at least and I would suspect many others as well. The same applied to the GI Joe repaints when they were released. Yeah, they were cool and all, but something was missing--the original package! That awesome painted art and the figure checklist! That's half the fun for me. That's why I didn't buy that Star Wars reissue four pack and why I probably wouldn't now, especially since I have those figures. Besides, from what I hear, the reissues weren't of the best quality...

thespar
07-12-2002, 02:00 PM
if was it collecting in 1995 i would have picked one up.

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 02:22 PM
I just have no desire to see any vintage figures reissued. I don't have any carded vintage figures because since '95 all of my money has been spent just keeping up with the new lines. But I still have many of my old loose figures, I will always have a place in my heart for the vintage line and if I make enough money someday I may go back and start a collection of them.

But what's the point of reissuing them? Bent Wookie is right; a large part of the nostalgia is in the packaging so if they changed it many people wouldn't have any reason to buy them. Even if they kept the same cards, it still boils down to one simple fact :
-You would be buying brand new figures from old, inferior molds all of which have already been remolded and improved upon since POTF2 came out.

They wouldn't bee worth much most likely, so collecting for value wouldn't be an option (although no one should collect just for money anyway).

They wouldn't have the sense of history that the real vintage figures have, ie; buying a figure that you know was out there in circulation when you were younger.

So I just don't see any point to it. The HeMan figures were rereleased to test demand for the brand new line. And it worked because there are lots of HeMan fans and they haven't had any new HeMan toys in over a decade. But Star Wars fans and collectors have had brand new toys to buy for seven straight years. We aren't hard-up to find an action figure with the Star Wars name on it. We're swimming in them.

I don't personally believe that a rerelease of the vintage figures would sell well at all.

mrmiller
07-12-2002, 02:24 PM
I'd like them if they did it. I'd like to see the original 12 instead of the POTF. Could be some sort of commerative set for 25 years. But I wouldn't want to spend more than $10 each for one.

I do think it would be cool, but before I want to see re-issues, re-makes, or re-sculpts of previous characters (exception of re-sculpt Luke Jedi), I'd rather see more Saga figures of characters that have never been made.

=MATT=

Thunderbird
07-12-2002, 10:45 PM
I'm kinda new to this site, but have been a SW collector for the last ten years (not counting my childhood years). When I started buying the vintage stuff it was because there wasn't anything new out. I remember in '93 or '94 rumors of a new Star Wars line in the making. Talk of using the old molds made alot of collectors worry that there old collections would be worthless. Kenner finally made the announcement I believe in '95 they would do all new sculpts to compete with the current comic heros from Toy Biz and McFarrlane.

I also seem to remember that the old molds were ether lost or destroyed (I'll have to look in my old toy mags to verify this). Thats why they had to make new molds for the Classic Edition 4-Pack. If you compare those figures to the vintage they are slightly smaller due to plastic shrinking after it's removed from the mold.

All that being said if they did a reissue I'd buy two of each just like I bought the Classic Edition 4-pack. :evil:

BillyJAck
07-12-2002, 10:57 PM
Well People,

I'd like to see just this First if Hasbro took the time. They could easily make the figures look just like the vintage ones and come right out of 1985. I'd like to see this

Anakin Skywalker Vintage on POTF CARD on original cardbacking and the figure to look like it came out of a 1985 time capsule. Then put that in a widowbox thats silver with a anniversay Logo for the 25 years of the toy line. This figure was beautiful on the card backing and only released in Australia. It brings prices of $2000 sometimes. Most people will never see one in the flesh and less likely ever own one. Anakin is the central character of the new movies. So This is what I'd really Really like to see. Maybe even Darth Vader POTF card since its the same character.

Others that were never seen here and would be nice is

Yak Face on American POTF Card
Gamorrean Guard POTF card
Nikto on POTF CARD

And then the two coolest american releases

Luke Stormtrooper on POTF CARD
Han Solo Carbonite on POTF CARD
I think some are against this cause loose and carded prices would plummet for the vintage. Same as it did for the vintage POTF SKIFF when the Target Exclusive came out. The thing use to go for like 600-700 bucks now you can get one in the box for 300. People that have all these vintage stuff hate the idea. If this is the reason i don't know. But I want a Anakin POTF card..and I think that this would sell well if that make it 100% look like the original and the figure looks the same 100%

billy

DarthBrandon
07-12-2002, 11:01 PM
Don't think it's a good idea, if they are vintage, then stay vintage, if they are POTF, POTJ, EP1, or ATOC, then stay that way. No need to make people upset who collect vintage material. Besides the last time they reissued vintage figures, people really did not like them all that much.

Lord Tenebrous
07-12-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by BillyJAck

Anakin Skywalker Vintage on POTF CARD on original cardbacking and the figure to look like it came out of a 1985 time capsule. Then put that in a widowbox thats silver with a anniversay Logo for the 25 years of the toy line. This figure was beautiful on the card backing and only released in Australia. It brings prices of $2000 sometimes. Most people will never see one in the flesh and less likely ever own one.

Anakin was originally offered as a mail-in, so he wasn't produced in large numbers when put on a card. That's the only reason for the high carded price.

BillyJAck
07-12-2002, 11:45 PM
Yes I know anakin was a mail away. I own one in the mailer box, one loose, one in kenner baggie, and a first shot. But I still want one on the card..

Beast
07-12-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by BillyJAck
Yes I know anakin was a mail away. I own one in the mailer box, one loose, one in kenner baggie, and a first shot. But I still want one on the card..
Then save up and buy a vintage one, because Hasbro is never going to do somthing like your asking. Unless they want the already vocal collecting community pounding on their doors with torches and pitchforks. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BillyJAck
07-13-2002, 12:01 AM
I could buy a vintage one in a month of so..But to find a c9-c10 example is what would be hard...let the search BEGIN!