PDA

View Full Version : Haley Joel Osment should have been Anikin.



scruffziller
07-11-2002, 09:39 AM
He would have been the perfect actor for Anikin. It would have improved the quality of the movie immensley.

billfremore
07-11-2002, 09:40 AM
I see Darth people.

LTBasker
07-11-2002, 09:59 AM
He was kinda annoying Sixth Sense. In A.I. he wasn't bad, but can you imagine how much he would've cried when Episode 1 didn't get the awards it was nominated for?

Lman316
07-11-2002, 10:18 AM
To be blunt: No. He would have been just as bad as Jake Lloyd, IMO.
I still stick with my feelings about getting relatively unknown actors and actresses to play the roles in Star Wars movies.
As I see it, the OT didn't have big name stars, except for Alec Guiness, and possibly Peter Cushing (I don't know - I wasn't alive back then). But, do you think Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford (even though he was in at least one movie before ANH) were considered really big names back then? Doubt it. And the movie was great. It wasn't commercialized, and it didn't need super huge Hollywood names in the opening credits to get people to watch it.
Jake Lloyd was horrible, and that's is the only real problem I have with the Phantom Menace. His acting sucked and he just didn't "have it".

End...

billfremore
07-11-2002, 10:22 AM
What exactly is this aforementioned "it" he was supposed to have?

He's a child actor in role that involves cheesy dialogue, what did you expect?

I ask a lot of questions, don't I?

Lman316
07-11-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
What exactly is this aforementioned "it" he was supposed to have?

He's a child actor in role that involves cheesy dialogue, what did you expect?

I ask a lot of questions, don't I?

No, not really - I ask a whole lot more (just not in public) :D.
Uh, I don't know what I was expecting. Just everytime that kid spoke, I cringed. "I saw your laser sword..." "Yipee!" Some of it wasn't too bad, but there were some parts where you know a little kid like that would say it with more passion than he did. Like with the "Yipee's"...if a kid was going to say that, he'd say it. When Lloyd did it, he sounded like he was reading from a cue card. I just feel that somewhere, some other kid could have done that better. I don't know. I just like to rant. Can you tell?

End...

billfremore
07-11-2002, 01:09 PM
No you hide your desire to rant very well :rolleyes: :D

Ahh who knows, maybe lucas will digitally replace every character eventually and have James Earl Jones' voice raised up 10 octaves and redub Jake Lloyd's lines.

Think about it, it could happen. :p

Lman316
07-11-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
No you hide your desire to rant very well :rolleyes: :D

Ahh who knows, maybe lucas will digitally replace every character eventually and have James Earl Jones' voice raised up 10 octaves and redub Jake Lloyd's lines.

Think about it, it could happen. :p

Yes, or Lucas could do like the South Park episode last night and replace everyone with Ewoks. That would be, to say the least, freaky. And I like Ewoks!

End :crazed:.

billfremore
07-11-2002, 01:54 PM
I like Ewoks too...


...broiled with a white wine sauce

RooJay
07-11-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
do you think Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford (even though he was in at least one movie before ANH) were considered really big names back then?

Actually, Mark Hamill was already considered a teen hearthrob back then with a good deal of television exposure (not to mention having his face on the cover of every teen magazine of the time!), and was generally considered one of Hollywood's hot up-and-coming talents. Even Carrie Fisher was known as the daughter of Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 07:52 PM
I didn't think that Osment had that much airplay even with the Sixth Sense. But then again your right "BIG" unknowns always are the best for SW.

DarthBrandon
07-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Tough role it was for a kid, didn't think he did all that badly. JarJar was a little annoying at times but I did like the character alot better after I saw AOTC. Haley Joel Osment I believe could not have done any better than Jake Lloyd. They are kids, and very hard to direct them it is, no patience, always to the future do they look, no mind on the present. Oops thought I was Yoda for a second.

Capitan_Moroni
07-12-2002, 11:41 AM
"..A ship, A cup, Dead people...."

billfremore
07-12-2002, 11:49 AM
Haley Joel Osmont is a better actor than Jake Lloyd, no question, but he comes off as too innocent and doesn't have the same "angry edge" to him that Jake did.

Darth Nitwit
07-12-2002, 01:18 PM
I think that Jake wasn't as bad of a choice as everyone seems to believe.

MFH
07-12-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Darth Nitwit
I think that Jake wasn't as bad of a choice as everyone seems to believe.

Yes, he was.

RooJay
07-12-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by MFH


Yes, he was.

No, he wasn't.;)

MFH
07-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by RooJay


No, he wasn't.;)

I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions.:crazed:

JON9000
07-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Has anyone seen the screen tests of the other Anakin possibilities on the DVD? They were all better! And then there's GL, saying he likes Lloyd because he's "unpredictable." Makes me cringe every time! I'm sure the kid did his best, and GL is allowed a screw up from time to time, but that one was up there with American Graffiti 2.

Scruff- I have thought the exact same thing. Osmet would have been perfect for the role.

Not only is he closer to the appropriate age (sorry Lloyd supporters- but the kid looks 5), but he has the ability to pull off what is in theory a very complex little boy- very earnest, yet fearful.

Take a look at AI or Sixth Sense- Osmet is perfect for the part. IMHO

sunblind
07-15-2002, 12:11 PM
Jake: "Yippie!"
Me Watching: Cringe
Jake: "I saw your Laser Sword?!"
Me: Cringe
Jake: "Yippie!"
Me Watching: Cringe
Jake: "I saw your Laser Sword?!"
Me: Cringe
Jake: "Yippie!"
Me Watching: Cringe

billfremore
07-15-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
Take a look at AI or Sixth Sense- Osmet is perfect for the part. IMHO

Take a lok at Osmont in these movies, he looks scared!

Scared is not what Lucas wanted Anakin to be.

AdmiralPiett
07-16-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by billfremore


Take a lok at Osmont in these movies, he looks scared!

Scared is not what Lucas wanted Anakin to be.

Actually it was!

KI-ADI : YOur thoughts dwell on your mother.
ANAKIN : I miss her.
YODA : Afraid to lose her..I think.
ANAKIN : (a little angry) What's that got to do with anything?
YODA : Eveything. Fear is the path to the dark side... fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate.. hate leads to suffering.
ANAKIN : (angrily) I am not afraid!
YODA : A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. I sense much fear in you.
ANAKIN : (quietly) I am not afraid.

stillakid
07-16-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by JON9000
Has anyone seen the screen tests of the other Anakin possibilities on the DVD? They were all better! And then there's GL, saying he likes Lloyd because he's "unpredictable." Makes me cringe every time! I'm sure the kid did his best, and GL is allowed a screw up from time to time, but that one was up there with American Graffiti 2.

I'll agree with that part of your post. The kid who was shown second was far better than Jake. But to be fair, as mentioned, that dialogue would have been hard for anybody to spit out convincingly.

scruffziller
07-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Osment being scared was the charachter he was in the 6th sense. With Osment's acting abilities he waould have been more viscious than Lloyd. It was just a matter of getting the charachter. Osment may have been a kid but he had advanced acting abilities.

Pendo
07-20-2002, 07:59 AM
I don't have a problem with Jake Lloyd as Anakin, I think for his age he did an alright job. I can't see Osment in a Star Wars film, don't get me wrong he's a good actor (possibly better than Llyod) but I don't think he is right for a Star Wars film. "I see Sith people!"
Did Osment even audition for Episode I?

PENDO!

stillakid
07-20-2002, 10:01 AM
You know who would have been perfect as Anakin? Eric Lloyd (no relation). That kid has been awesome in everything he's done. He might have been just a wee bit too old for Ep I, but just by a year or two, but it might have worked. Certainly better then lil' Jake.

Click here for more on Eric:
http://us.imdb.com/Name?Lloyd,+Eric

billfremore
07-20-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by AdmiralPiett


Actually it was!

KI-ADI : YOur thoughts dwell on your mother.
ANAKIN : I miss her.
YODA : Afraid to lose her..I think.
ANAKIN : (a little angry) What's that got to do with anything?
YODA : Eveything. Fear is the path to the dark side... fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate.. hate leads to suffering.
ANAKIN : (angrily) I am not afraid!
YODA : A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. I sense much fear in you.
ANAKIN : (quietly) I am not afraid.

Yes Anakin was supposed to be afraid, I agree.

I just have a hard time separating Osmont from his roles.
He just looks like he's totally terrified in everything he's done IMO.

I think Anakin is supposed to be scared, but not look like he's about to be gutted by a bear.

stillakid
07-20-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by billfremore


Yes Anakin was supposed to be afraid, I agree.

I just have a hard time separating Osmont from his roles.
He just looks like he's totally terrified in everything he's done IMO.

I think Anakin is supposed to be scared, but not look like he's about to be gutted by a bear.

That reminds of actress Kathy Baker, from Picket Fences (http://us.imdb.com/EGallery?source=ss&group=0238550&photo=6&path=pgallery&path_key=Baker,+Kathy). She ALWAYS looks like she's on the verge of crying. Some actors just kinda look a certain way I suppose. :)

Yeah, and I sure didn't get "fear" out of the Romper Room Magic Mirror sequence. George could have done something far more interesting to "test" him, like use some kind of lethal obstacle course with sharp things flinging out and such. He'd have to "anticipate" them and dodge, turn, parry, thrust, spin...BOINNNG. Oops, wrong show. :) In any case, then there would have been fear. I think Jake was just waiting for the next segment of the show when they put on the cardboard firetrucks and play fireman.

billfremore
07-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Well I gotta tell ya Stillakid, I gotta agree with you on Eric Lloyd.
He looks like he could've pulled off Anakin.

I wonder if he even tried out for the role?
Or did Lucas set an age limit for the casting call perhaps?

stillakid
07-20-2002, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
Well I gotta tell ya Stillakid, I gotta agree with you on Eric Lloyd.
He looks like he could've pulled off Anakin.

I wonder if he even tried out for the role?
Or did Lucas set an age limit for the casting call perhaps?

I have the feeling that he set an age limit. Though now that I think about it, Eric's age would have been an advantage. Closer to puberty, he would have had more of a "sexual" interest in Padme and that would have helped sell the love story in AOTC so much better.

Eternal Padawan
07-20-2002, 03:25 PM
and dodge, turn, parry, thrust, spin...BOINNNG. Oops, wrong show. :)

Ahhhh...Daffy Duck. Maybe HE could have played Anakin. I watched the casting call on the DVD. I think the other kid was a little too slick and polished. Based on the performances on the DVD, I would have rolled the dice and picked Jake also. i think it was a mistake to cast a seven year old to play a nine year old. If he was going to futz with age differences, why not cast an eleven year old to play a nine year old? After all, Anakin DOES grow up to be a hulkng seven foot Darth Vader.

Deckard Smith
07-20-2002, 03:53 PM
I enjoyed Mr. Osments performance in Sixth Sense, Pay It Forward, A.I. and even Forrest Gump. I think he would have made an excellent Anakin.

MFH
07-21-2002, 09:04 PM
All the ones on the DVD, including Jake, were no good.

RooJay
07-22-2002, 07:36 PM
I sincerely hope little Jakey Loyd has steered clear of any fan site forums! GEEZ! We're gonna give the poor kid a complex! He'd end up like the cast of Diff'rent Strokes!

MFH
07-23-2002, 01:10 AM
On the DVD, it shows the first cast meeting. Jake introduces himself by saying, "I'm Jake Loyd. I play Anakin Skywalker." I bet he didn't know so many SW fans were going to hate him...:crazed:

Pendo
07-23-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by MFH
On the DVD, it shows the first cast meeting. Jake introduces himself by saying, "I'm Jake Loyd. I play Anakin Skywalker." I bet he didn't know so many SW fans were going to hate him...:crazed:

I wouldn't say he was hated! I actually didn't mind JL, for his age he did a very good job as Anakin and at times he was perfect such as when he's saying goodbye to Shmi, I thought he was perfect there and you really feel the emotion.
And out of the other Anakin hopfulls seen on the DVD I would say that Jake was by far the best!

PENDO!

billfremore
07-23-2002, 10:50 AM
I say to those people who "hate" anything about any of these movies, if you truly hated this stuff, you wouldn't watch these movies, own these movies or talk about them here in these forums.

I hate Major League baseball, so I don't watch it.
I dislike Kevin Costner, but I'll still watch a few movies he's in despite that.

So if you truly hate Jake Lloyd, don't watch the movie.
Problem solved.

Pendo
07-23-2002, 11:00 AM
Well put billfremore!!!

PENDO!

JON9000
07-23-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
I say to those people who "hate" anything about any of these movies, if you truly hated this stuff, you wouldn't watch these movies, own these movies or talk about them here in these forums.

I hate Major League baseball, so I don't watch it.
I dislike Kevin Costner, but I'll still watch a few movies he's in despite that.

So if you truly hate Jake Lloyd, don't watch the movie.
Problem solved.

What about movies with Kevin Costner about Baseball? Would you watch those?

I don't "hate" Jake Lloyd. I just think he was a lousy choice and detracted from the movie. Of course, his dialogue was awful as well.

"Yipee!"
"You mean I get to go with you on your starship?!"
"I saw your lasersword."
"And they blow you up! BOOM!"
"I'm a person, and my name is Anakin!"
"Your friend was about to be turned into orange goo."

:cry:

billfremore
07-23-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by JON9000
What about movies with Kevin Costner about Baseball? Would you watch those?


I like baseball movies.

I hate what major league baseball has become.
I hope the strike comes and it never, ever ends.

Pendo
07-23-2002, 02:50 PM
Reading through this thread, alot of people's problems with Jake Lloyd are because of his dialogue:

Originally posted by Lman316
Just everytime that kid spoke, I cringed. "I saw your laser sword..." "Yipee!" Some of it wasn't too bad, but there were some parts where you know a little kid like that would say it with more passion than he did. Like with the "Yipee's"...if a kid was going to say that, he'd say it. When Lloyd did it, he sounded like he was reading from a cue card. I just feel that somewhere, some other kid could have done that better. I don't know. I just like to rant. Can you tell?

End...

Originally posted by billfremore
No you hide your desire to rant very well :rolleyes: :D

Ahh who knows, maybe lucas will digitally replace every character eventually and have James Earl Jones' voice raised up 10 octaves and redub Jake Lloyd's lines.

Think about it, it could happen. :p

Originally posted by sunblind
Jake: "Yippie!"
Me Watching: Cringe
Jake: "I saw your Laser Sword?!"
Me: Cringe
Jake: "Yippie!"
Me Watching: Cringe
Jake: "I saw your Laser Sword?!"
Me: Cringe
Jake: "Yippie!"
Me Watching: Cringe

Originally posted by JON9000
I don't "hate" Jake Lloyd. I just think he was a lousy choice and detracted from the movie. Of course, his dialogue was awful as well.

"Yipee!"
"You mean I get to go with you on your starship?!"
"I saw your lasersword."
"And they blow you up! BOOM!"
"I'm a person, and my name is Anakin!"
"Your friend was about to be turned into orange goo."

:cry:
I don't think Jake is to blame in this area, he didn't write the script, and I don't think anyone, not even Haley Joel Osment, could have made that dialogue sound better. For a little kid I think he did an alright job at performing the character, and I also don't think anyone in this forum could have done a better job than him when you where his age.

PENDO!

icatch9
07-23-2002, 03:32 PM
If you hate JL that means you hate GL too. In a manor of speaking, becasue it was GL choice to pick JL. He wasn't to bad for such a young actor. Few others could of handled such a role. HJO would not of been good. First of all he's to well known. Second of all he would have been to old. I don't think any kid at the age GL wanted could of pulled off the role. The fans wouldn't have been happy with anyone. JL could grow up to be an award winning actor, but you guys would cast him out to be a lame dork becasue of this role, sad really :(.

Speaking of the hopeful Anaken's on the DVD did you notice that Reece from Malcome in the Middle was one of the kids auditioning for the role. He's only on there for a moment, when they are running throug a bunch of kids saying "Hi, I'm so and so, and I'm auditioning for the role of Anaken Skywalker." Check it out and look close, you can't miss him :)

stillakid
07-23-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
I also don't think anyone in this forum could have done a better job than him when you where his age.

PENDO!

Proclaiming that he did a fine job just because a bunch of non-actors might have done worse? That's a non-argument. How silly.

Jake put himself out there as an actor. Not too many of the rest of us did. It's his own responsibility to perform (no pun intended) up to the requirements of his chosen job. And, yes, the dialogue made it that much worse, but in the end, it was Jake out there doing the part and it was up to him to breath life into the poorly written character.

There have been other young actors throughout time who have been capable of delivering solid impressive work, so age should never be used as a crutch to justify a poor performance.

JON9000
07-23-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
If you hate JL that means you hate GL too. In a manor of speaking, becasue it was GL choice to pick JL. He wasn't to bad for such a young actor. Few others could of handled such a role. HJO would not of been good. First of all he's to well known. Second of all he would have been to old. I don't think any kid at the age GL wanted could of pulled off the role. The fans wouldn't have been happy with anyone. JL could grow up to be an award winning actor, but you guys would cast him out to be a lame dork becasue of this role, sad really :(.



Hating JL does not mean you hate GL by proxy. Again, I don't hate JL, I merely dislike him in the role of Anakin. That doesn't mean I dislike GL. It means I do not agree with GL's choice in casting the kid. No more, no less.

I will agree with you that no one out there could handle the dialogue, but the role was less demanding than Osmet's in Sixth Sense.

If Osmet is too old, Lloyd is certainly too young. What was he, six? He looked 5.

Nobody here has called Lloyd a dork or anything else that I can recall, and I don't think he is a bad actor- just bad for Anakin. He was just fine in Jingle All the Way.

MFH
07-23-2002, 11:12 PM
Let me rephrase that. I don't "hate" Jake Loyd. I strongly disliked his performance, which means I strongly dislike the fact that he played Anakin.

There. I replaced "hate" with "strongly dislike." And I directed my "strong disliking" at his performance, as opposed to him personally. Feel better?

As for the word hate, I realize how terrible it sounds to some of you. I respect that and will try not to use it as much, but...

I hate the dialogue that GL gave him. Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!!!!!
Oops, there I go again! I'm out of control!

Seriously, though. I do not hate Jake Loyd. And even if I did, that would not mean that I hate GL. I don't even want to argue about that one.:crazed:

DarthBatman
07-24-2002, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by MFH


I hate the dialogue that GL gave him. Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!!!!!
Oops, there I go again! I'm out of control!



Well then... someone seems to have taked a little too much cough syrup, if you ask me...

MFH
07-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by DarthBatman


Well then... someone seems to have taked a little too much cough syrup, if you ask me...

It wasn't cough syrup...:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

billfremore
07-24-2002, 04:34 PM
Perhaps in the future they can digitally replace Jake Lloyd with a computer-generated, artificially de-aged version of Hayden.

Would that make everybody happy? ;) :p :crazed:

RooJay
07-24-2002, 07:34 PM
I think in order to make a lot of fans happy with the performance Jake would have to be relplaced with a digitally de-aged Lawrence Olivier. NAH...not even that would b good enough for some of these people!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
07-30-2002, 12:40 AM
I agree that Haley Joel would have done a much better job than Anakin.

Look at the acting this kid has done, Pay It Forward, The Sixth Sense. Those were Oscar worthy performances. Even in Forrest Gump when the kid was like 4 or 5, he did a decent job in the role he played.

And Lucas boned up big time during the auditioning. I guess he sensed something about Lloyd, something that 'caught his eye.' While I am not sure what he sensed, but it sure wasn't good acting.

As far as casting unknowns, pretty much any child that he screened was going to be an unknown at that age, so he could have casted anyone. It looks like he chose one with little talent.

But hindsight is 20/20.

scruffziller
07-31-2002, 09:02 AM
Anybody know of any other fairly well known child actors that Lucas auditioned?