PDA

View Full Version : to our Los Angeles forum members - get ready for another riot...

SWAFMAN
07-11-2002, 07:17 PM
John Barnett, the attorney for the cop who was recently caught on videotape slamming a suspect onto the trunk lid of a police squad car, just a minute ago on a TV interview said that his client (the cop) did NOT slam the suspect on to the hood.

This piece-of-shark-dung attorney just sat there with a straight face and said that when cops lifted him to his feet, the suspect kept his knees bent instead of straightening his legs to stand up, causing him to fall back down against the car.

Now while he's saying this, the show is playing the videotape and clearly showing the cop slamming the suspect down.
It was an insulting and outrageous bald-faced lie by the attorney, who should be disbarred, in my opinion.

If that weren't enough, the attorney goes on to say that the cop then proceeded to punch the suspect because the suspect grabbed the cop's genitals, which, the attorney said, "is consistent with the videotape."

When the newscaster pointed out that the suspect's hands are handcuffed and out of view in the video, the attorney said "that's what I said, it's consistent with the videotape." Clearly implying that yes, it's a total lie, but you can't prove it from looking at the tape.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

rynobot
07-11-2002, 07:31 PM
I'm staying away from this topic.

derek
07-11-2002, 07:34 PM
SWAFman,

you watching o'reilly too?

there won't be any riot. at least there won't be because this cop gets off. the cop who hit that kid is going to lose his job and probably do some jail time. but this ain't no rodney king thing. just one cop who lost his cool and will pay for it.

but the media sure is trying to stir things up!:evil:

rynobot
07-11-2002, 07:37 PM
One thing: The cop will never have a fair trial, and his attorny will make sure of it.

derek
07-11-2002, 07:42 PM
who's attorney will make sure of that? why won't he have a fair trial?

DarthBrandon
07-11-2002, 07:43 PM
These guys get paid to lie and twist the truth, but the fact of the matter is if people ( the Jury ) are to dumb ( blind eye ) to see this then you tell me what's wrong with society. The people have to support others who are against police brutality. Just because you are a cop does not give you the right to beat people around cause you hold that position. I could see if this guy was a violent criminal who just killed two cops or two people, but hey I think sometimes in cases like the one you posted, the cop should be charged with assault and given whatever penalty is deemed appropriate. As for the Lawyer, yeah I know it's his job to his client off, but nowadays it seems all you have to do is lie and mislead people. Cops get away with too much stuff i.e. (Drinking and Driving ending up killing or injuring someone in the process, brutality, Lying, corruption, speeding etc. The list could be endless, now don't get me wrong I've got nothing against cop, cause two of my friends are ones, but just because you carry a badge does not mean your above the law.

P.S. I'll probably get reamed for this.

SWAFMAN
07-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by derek
SWAFman,

you watching o'reilly too?

there won't be any riot. at least there won't be because this cop gets off. the cop who hit that kid is going to lose his job and probably do some jail time. but this ain't no rodney king thing. just one cop who lost his cool and will pay for it.

but the media sure is trying to stir things up!:evil:

Derek, I was living in LA during the riots of '92. I couldn't go to work at our main office for over a week, because it was inside the perimeter of the National Guard command post at the LA Coliseum (our office was right across the street). We just watched the TV news the whole time waiting to see if the place would burn down.

I always felt that the real circumstances of the King beating and trial verdict weren't so much the cause for the riots, but more of a convenient excuse for people who were itching for any reason to go on a rampaging looting spree. Well, it's another hot summer in L.A., and the welfare recipients are restless.

As you said, the media is whipping this up. That has the potential to give the same people who went wild last time, the same bullcrap excuse to rationalize a "moral outrage" to justify another looting and burning spree.

And in this case, there's an incentive for some in the mainstream media to try to ignite a major riot. But I can already see the "rolleyes" emoticons from some of you, so I'll just leave it at that.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2002, 11:55 AM
I had just typed a quite long reply. I chose to delete it. It'll only make things worse.

But I'll say this much: keep TV and the news out of court trials. That's the only way you'll get a "fair" trial.

jjreason
07-12-2002, 12:05 PM
Having lived through this type of experience personally (although NOT in the eye of the media), I think I can provide a little info. on what will happen to the cop.
The LAPD, or his home agency, will open a criminal investigation into the doings of the officer. He will be asked to provide a statement regarding what happened. The statement will be forwarded with that of the handcuffed man and a copy of the videotape to the District Attorney's office and analyzed. The DA's office will either support the charge of assault or turf it out. If they turf it, the paper will go nuts and the riot may occur. Because it's a cop, and these stories sell papers and TV advertising, Im sure the charge will be approved and they'll proceed with it to court. The cop will either plead guilty or not guilty and will be suspended from work pending the trial.
If he pleads guilty, no trial and the judge will sentence him that day most likely. The big thing will the the possible firearms prohibition that can accompany the assault conviction - that would cost him his job most likely.
If he pleads not guilty, they'll proceed to a sensational trial. The trial won't take too long, probably only one day. There are a lot of variables here that might get the cop off - the handcuffed guy's criminal record, and whether or not he's assaulted cops in the past being most likely to work.
After the trial, there will be a "code of conduct" investigation done by internal affairs. Even if the cop gets off in criminal court, he can get done by the LAPD. Through this avenue he could lose his job, get docked a rank or a pay period, get put on less desirable detail, etc. Probably more scary for the cop than criminal court. Many cops still work every day after being convicted for common assault, believe it or not.
Sorry to butt in, I thought some people might be interested in the process that will have to take place. Oh, and the whole thing could conceivably take as long as a year to get to trial.

JediTricks
07-12-2002, 02:01 PM
I remember the riots, those were some strange days indeed. I worked at a mini-mall in West LA, I watched people looting the Foot Locker across the street by bending the security bars out of the way, police would arrest one guy while 5 others would walk by and take stuff right in front of them.

This cop's lawyer is one of the Rodney King cop's lawyers, why am I not surprised. The lawyer claims that the kid, completely handcuffed, grabbed the cop's groin and that's why the cop punched him in the head and then choked him and then went to punch him again. In the tape, it looks as if the kid's arms couldn't really bend that way but it's not TOTALLY impossible. However, the cop didn't flinch or back off or anything, and the kid couldn't have had THAT much grip, so I don't think this excuse will hold water.

The Inglewood police department, where this cop works, has always been known for high levels of corruption. Their Internal Affairs have badgered individual witnesses for years each to get charges against their cops dropped. Apparently, this is far from the first abuse complaint levied against this officer. I want to wait to pass judgement against him, but that video speaks VOLUMES.

This crap with the guy who shot the video being arrested seems more like some story out of the KGB rather than the USA. Seems like dark days ahead, I hope the DA really makes a good case and tries to keep things on the up-and-up, but I'm not expecting that.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-29-2012, 09:36 AM
TV news has a lot about the 20th anniversary of the LA riots starting today. I remember being in a college algebra class (in fact, the ONLY college math course I took) when someone came in to announce it.

p.s. This thread may get moved to the RP if it gets too dicey.

JediTricks
04-30-2012, 06:11 PM
The LA riots, I was at work when it came in over the emergency broadcast system that a curfew was going into effect. We sent the customers out with their rentals and closed up, then me and 2 of my coworkers worked together to get foodstuff, gas for their car, and got home. The next day, I walked to work with a big knife in my boot, and when I got to work we watched as looters tore open the security doors to the Foot Locker and Kinney's Shoes across the street; police would come by and arrest one guy, and while they were doing that they'd have to watch as half a dozen more people strolled right past them and took stuff, it was surreal.

The day after that, our intersection got National Guard snipers on our shopping center roof and on the roof of the building across the street (it's a Ross now, I don't remember if it was then). Our shopping center was a video store, Pizza Hut, bagel place, Hallmark store, Sav-On Drugs, Vons supermarket, Subway, a comic book store, and a small bank. In other words, NOTHING WORTH KILLING SOMEONE OVER.