PDA

View Full Version : Goldmember!!

scruffziller
07-11-2002, 07:46 PM
I have heard that the first ten minutes is probably the funniest in cinema history.

Jedi Juice
07-11-2002, 11:40 PM
What did you hear about the movie? I thought the opening credits in "The Spy Who Shagged Me" were the best I've ever seen, really hilarious. I always think Austin Powers is great and I am looking forward to "Goldmember."

LTBasker
07-11-2002, 11:53 PM
Probably not quality comedy though. :rolleyes: Just one of those pop-up things. I'm definitely not going to see this in theaters, I don't support movies with pop stars, especially ones I really really don't like. :D

QLD
07-12-2002, 08:14 AM
I have a bad feeling about this movie. Oh well, we'll see.

DeadEye
07-12-2002, 08:25 AM
I think they'll go stupidly over-the-top with this one, since they really can't make it any funnier than the last one.

JediTricks
07-12-2002, 02:52 PM
Like QLD, I have a really bad feeling about this one. The trailers look as unfunny as anything in the past 3 years and the idea of crossing "Goldfinger" with "Cleopatra Jones" doesn't sound like a winning combination to me.

Pendo
07-13-2002, 04:32 PM
I am looking forward to this movie, I think it looks really funny but not quite as good as the other two. I hope it lives up to the expectation.

PENDO!

morecow299
07-13-2002, 11:23 PM
i will not see this movie in theaters. it does not spark my interests

Exhaust Port
07-14-2002, 09:51 PM
I'll probably end up seeing it in the theater but live to regret it as I always seem to do.

pthfnder89
07-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I think they'll go stupidly over-the-top with this one, since they really can't make it any funnier than the last one.

If you mean funniy as in Haha, look how horrible this is, then you're probably right.

I loved the original Austin Powers, but The Spy Who Shagged Mw was cinematic excrement, and Goldmember will probably be more of the same. I just hope to god Heather Graham doesn't have a cameo in the begining like Liz Hurely did, or else I'll just leave at the first sight of her to distance myself from her "acting" abilities.:rolleyes:

187-Maul
07-16-2002, 04:36 PM
I guess the movie won't be as good as the other two but I will probably see it in the theater anyways

Pendo
07-21-2002, 07:15 AM
Goldmember has been getting some really good reviews here in the UK, they say it's better than the 2nd. So if you liked the 2nd you'll like the 3rd. I can't wait until it opens on friday, I'm going to watch it.
I suppose I'll have to find a date, I can't go on my own I always go and skit people who as for "Just the one ticket please" :D.

PENDO!

scruffziller
07-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

If you mean funniy as in Haha, look how horrible this is, then you're probably right.

I loved the original Austin Powers, but The Spy Who Shagged Mw was cinematic excrement, and Goldmember will probably be more of the same. I just hope to god Heather Graham doesn't have a cameo in the begining like Liz Hurely did, or else I'll just leave at the first sight of her to distance myself from her "acting" abilities.:rolleyes:
No way, the second improved upon the first. I can't friigin' wait to see Goldmember.

jjreason
07-21-2002, 07:43 PM
One movie was funny. One movie was enough.

Eternal Padawan
07-26-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I have heard that the first ten minutes is probably the funniest in cinema history.

Well, no. But it was close to the funniest ten minutes. At first I thought the beginning was going to be a spoof of the opening of MI:2 with Cruise climbing on the rocks. Turns out I was half right. ;)

I didn't like the Goldmember character. Meyers characters are becoming more and more skeletal. Just him doing a dumb voice with some stereotyping.

Beyonce Knowles' entire purpose in the movie seemed to be to have a nice rack and show off her tummy. Not that I'm complaining. :)

Michael Caine was hilarious. The original supporting players are getting less and less to do thanks to multiple-Meyers hogging the screen. Mindy Sterling barely even registered a line in the film. She was simply window dressing. Robert Wagner did his "We've invested in..." shtick then he got busted down to "visual continuity/setpiece" Seth Green got in his back-n-forth across the table (though lord knows what it was about. That turnip has been squeezed dry...) and has more to do in the end, but most of the non-Meyers camera time went to Verne Shroyer and Beyonce's lithe, supple, nubile, scantily clad body.....mmmmmmmmmmm

Where was I?

The movie was funny in a self referential juggernaut kind of way. The Austin Powers movies are less about plot (this ones about using a giant tractor beam tugging an asteroid made of gold into the polar ice caps, creatring a deluge across the world unles....the whole one meelion dollars shtick) and more about showcasing Meyers multiple personalities ( a dwindling supply) and his ability to reference obscure junior high toilet humor (some of them were pretty funny). The juggernaut rolls on, they are talking of a 4th film.

If you laughed hard at the first two (and I did) you'll enjoy this one.

Pendo
07-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Can anyone tell me who the cameos are at the beginning? I've heared that Tom Cruise is one but I don't know if it's true or not.

I've got my ticket for 7:20 tonight so I suppose I'll find out then but if anyone can tell me before I go I'll be most grateful.

I'm hoping the cinema isn't packed because of the Big Brother Final (Jonny to win!!!) cause there's alway's screaming teenagers running around when going to see a 12 movie!

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Yeah, Pendo, I'll probably see this too, either tonight or tomorrow. I'm glad we'll finally get to see sharks with laser beams attached to their heads, which I've been waiting for since the first movie. :D

QLD
07-26-2002, 11:47 AM
I am going to see it tomorrow night. Crap! There are about 10 movies I haven't seen. I am normally up on these things.

Eight Legged Freaks, Bourne Identity, Minority Report, Goldmember, Mr. Deeds....I think that's all.....who knows.

Beast
07-26-2002, 01:28 PM
Just got back, it was excellent. I think it was actually better then the first 2. Pendo, the special guests starts include, Tom Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow, Steven Spielburg, John Travolta, Kevin Spacey, Danny Devito, Quincy Jones, and Brittany Spears. The opening is great, but the rest of the film is even better. Mini-Me is great!!! I may need to grab a Mini-Me avatar. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

wedgeA
07-26-2002, 01:41 PM
JJB,

Which AP movie did you prefer? I loved the first one, but hated the 2nd. I thought the first one succeeded on wit and subtle humor (well, at least by today's comedic standards), but I did not like the second one, I thought it just recycled the jokes of the first making longer louder and dirtier. I am curious to know whether this one closer to the first one, if so, then I'm there.

Beast
07-26-2002, 01:54 PM
I liked them both, but I liked #2 more because I just love Mini-Me. He's like a chihuaua, everytime I see him he makes me want to laugh. He's great in this one. I wish they wouldn't have brought Fat Basterd back though. :p

The toilet humor was bad in AP2, and it's right up there in this one also. But I do like how they resolve his charecter. Infact I like what they did with all the charecters. I heard that the DVD will have 30 minutes of deleted footage. Yipee!! :)

By the way, the opinion that they recycled jokes in AP2, and some in this one was not lost on the filmmakers. There is a really witty scene where they poke fun at the franchise for it. I was rolling in the isles. :)

Oh, I guess I should answer your question. It felt more like #1 to me, then #2. I know there is a joke there, somewhere. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
07-26-2002, 02:59 PM
Well I for one am really looking forward to seeing Goldmember. I have tickets for tonight at 7:30 and I can't wait.
Thanks alot for your review, JJB. That makes me even more psyched to see it.
However I must say that I am glad Fat Bastard is in this one also. I thought his character was one of the funniest in AP2.

Eternal Padawan
07-26-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Just got back, it was excellent. I think it was actually better then the first 2. Pendo, the special guests starts include, Tom Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow, Steven Spielburg, John Travolta, Kevin Spacey, Danny Devito, Quincy Jones, and Brittany Spears. The opening is great, but the rest of the film is even better. Mini-Me is great!!! I may need to grab a Mini-Me avatar. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Don't forget the Osbornes!

Beast
07-26-2002, 03:18 PM
His charecter was good, but the toilet humor was way over the top in AP2. They did scale it back a bit, because FB doesn't have as big a part as he did in AP2. So while they do get the jokes in, it doesn't bog the whole movie down with them. But while I orignally hated the idea that they brought him back for the sequel, I do like what they did with the charecter.

As I said above, I like what they did with all the charecters. I don't know if a 4th film is really possible, though. It's left open for one at the end, just like #1 and #2. But after everything that transpires, I'm not sure if it would work as well. I think Myers is getting a little sick of the charecters anyway. :)

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Don't forget the Osbornes!
Yeah, that was funny. As I said, the film isn't afraid to make fun of the fact that they recycle jokes from the earlier films. I'm just glad they had the guts to admit it. I didn't mention them originally though EP, because I was going to keep that cameo quiet, since it ties into the whole self parody thing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Capitan_Moroni
07-26-2002, 07:36 PM
I'm from Holland! isn't that vierd?

They dident explain what happened to Felicity Shagwell!! noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

This room is getting crowded, everyone leave! Not you Scott. Not you Number 2. Frau, Nigel, Goldmember, henchmen carrying the giant rench, you all stay. Henchmen turning nobs so it looks like your doing somthing, you stay too.........This is getting uncomfurtable.

Eternal Padawan
07-27-2002, 01:59 AM
Heather Graham's cameo got cut.

The funniest part was the subtitles.

ROLLO!

Pendo
07-27-2002, 08:26 AM
The film was hillarious!!! :D I agree with Eternal Padawan, the subtitles was the funniest part, closely followed by the fountain :D.
I didn't think the beginning was as funny as everybody was making out, but it was still funny to see Tom Cruise as AP, and the other stars, etc :D.
I'd like to have seen the Heather Graham and Elizabeth Hurley scenes which were cut. And I hope there's gonna be a 4th film, there's no reason why there shouldn't be, with Scott Evil as the main bad guy! ;)

PENDO!

scruffziller
07-27-2002, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni

They didn't explain what happened to Felicity Shagwell

I heard on on a cable special that got married to a Mr. Allday.

Eternal Padawan
07-27-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
The film was hillarious!!! :D I agree with Eternal Padawan, the subtitles was the funniest part, closely followed by the fountain :D.
I didn't think the beginning was as funny as everybody was making out, but it was still funny to see Tom Cruise as AP, and the other stars, etc :D.
I'd like to have seen the Heather Graham and Elizabeth Hurley scenes which were cut. And I hope there's gonna be a 4th film, there's no reason why there shouldn't be, with Scott Evil as the main bad guy! ;)

PENDO!

C'mon! Steven Spielberg and Gwyneth backflipping off stage? That's gotta be worth something. I was looking forward to the Felicity and Vanessa cameos as well. I still keep waiting for them to use the best cut gag ever from the first film, when they land in the raft at the end for no reason he goes "All my movies end this way, baby!''

That was funny.

ROLLO!

Capitan_Moroni
07-27-2002, 11:58 AM
ha ha ha, the little one dosent understand that he is small.....

Beast
07-27-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
ha ha ha, the little one dosent understand that he is small.....
Poor Mini-Me. :cry: Anyone else actually feel bad for him in this movie? Aleast it turned out good for everyone in the end. :happy: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
07-27-2002, 12:53 PM
i felt bad for him! but he and austin were hilarious in the fight scene in his appartment. and in the one scene where austin is by that fountain!!!!!!!!!LOL! and the beggining was hilarious too!!!
hango

hango fett
07-27-2002, 12:57 PM
just thoguht if another funny part, there, JJB! MOLE! hilarious is the only word i can describe that scene as!
hango

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Does anyone know if they're planning on making a 4th it could be called "The Man With The Golden Mojo"

From the clips I've seen it seems that Myers accent is slipping a bit and sounds more american, is it?

Jek Porky 2002
07-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Another question, is Burt Backarak in it?

hango fett
07-27-2002, 07:37 PM
yes, burt backarak i in it in the credits. they have some footage of him play "what the world needs now."

hi accent is just fine. he is alot better in this one than the others. and he takes on 4 roles. the added of course is goldmember.
hango

DeadEye
07-27-2002, 07:55 PM
So what are Austin's dad and Goldmember like? You guys haven't talked those 2 new guys.

Beast
07-27-2002, 08:02 PM
Nigel Powers doesn't have a massive part. But how can you not love any charecter played by Michael Caine. He's pretty much just an older version of Austin though. Same dialogue, same attitude. Nothing really unique charecter wise. But Michael Caine atleast makes the charecter intresting.

Goldmember was odd. His accent is funny, but a bit irritating. I thought he was one of the least intresting charecters. And then the fact that he likes to pick dried skin off himself and eat it. :rolleyes: Just not a very funny charecter. I'm glad that they kept his role somewhat minor. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Shifty
07-27-2002, 08:10 PM
I liked Michael Caine as Nigel Powers. His best scene was when he and Austin were speaking in 'pure' English to speak in private - hilarious.

JetsAndHeels
07-27-2002, 08:39 PM
I agree with JJB in that Goldmember wasn't one of the best characters in the film. The only thing about him that made me laugh was the flexibility of his legs. I like how he was able to kick straight up.
The "Hard Knock Life" rap song by Dr. Evil and Mini-Me in the prison had to be one of the funniest parts, if not the funniest.

2-1B
07-28-2002, 01:24 AM
Well, I did laugh several times . . . but do you remember Austin telling Spielberg "it was good, but it had some problems." ? ? ?
Unfortunately, that turned out to be the case for me with this movie. :(

I'll just rip thru a list here, sorry if/when I offend :D

Michael Caine - never really cared for him in general, and I didn't like him here. But he had a few good lines, the best of which was his description of a baby arm holding an apple. :D

Goldmember - not that funny, glad he wasn't in it too much. Skin eating? Sorry, don't get it. :D

Seth Green - kinda funny in the first one, not funny in the second one, annoying in the third one. :)

Cameos:
Cruise, Spacey, Travolta did nothing for me, Ozzy was a wasted opportunity.

Entire flashback of young Austin, young Doc Evil, young Basil, etc. - didn't like it, thought it should have been cut in favor of . . . anything! :(

Story "resolution" of Dougie and Austin as brothers - REALLY didn't like it, found it completely unsatisfying.

Beyonce Knowles - wasn't impressed with how they used her, but agree with everything Eternal Padawan said! :D

-------------------------------------------------------
Fat Bastard - what do you mean the toilet humor was toned down from part 2? In general, this movie is DEFINITELY more like 2 than 1. :rolleyes: That's a neutral point, I'm not saying it's good or bad.
-------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I've been pretty negative, but I try to be optimistic too!

What I liked:

Austin Powers - I thought he was pretty cool, especially in his 1975 getup! :D

Dr. Evil - I love him, he had some stale moments but alot of it hit me as pretty funny . . . he's probably my fave character in the trilogy. :happy:

Beyonce Knowles - wasn't impressed with how they used her, but agree with everything Eternal Padawan said! :D yep, she makes the good AND bad list, for opposite reasons. ;) All things considered, she could have done worse.

Fred Savage - held his own pretty well, considering he was a one joke punchline. :D

Mini-Me ! I love that little scamp, walking around prison like he's king - :D The joke about having "a little clone in you" was visible from a mile away, but I still laughed. :)

Clint Howard - I don't like him, so I was glad they kept his appearance minimal. :) Where was Charles Napier? :(

Sharks with lasers on their heads - very smart gag, nice nod to the first film. :) I was delighted to see them!

Cameos:
Ozzy - okay, it was still good to see him. :D Though he was CLASSIC in his Private Parts cameo. ;)

Spielberg - pulling out his Oscar that way? Hilarious! "well, this guy says it was great" (or something similar :D ) Yeah, I like the backflipping too!

Britney Spears - not so much for the opening, but for the end sequence, "Tripod? Can I give you my cell phone number?"

Quincy Jones! I'm not a fan of Burt or Elvis Costello . . . I was hoping Quincy was there in lieu of Burt, but it was still a nice treat. :)

There are many other things I liked / disliked, but personally I have to rank it third behind 2 (yep, I liked it more than 1) and then I'll put 1 in the middle. I certainly did like this movie, just not as much as I had hoped. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few questions,

Did anyone catch Jay Roach's wife Susanna Hoffs (of the Bangles) in the movie? I didn't, but I noticed her name in the credits (as well as Donna D'Errico-Sixx )

What kind of cameo was Hurley supposed to have? I hated the way they turned her into a Fembot, so I just pretend she was switched after the wedding . . . but Basil knew all along . . . not like it matters in these movies. :D

And Felicity? Who's this Allday character? Refresh me. :D

Beast
07-28-2002, 01:33 AM
Caesar, a couple comments about your comments. Like you didn't see that coming. :p :D The toilet humor was heavy in this one, but no where near as bad as the second one. It was confined only to the scenes with Fat Bastard that wasn't all that long. Thank gods. Atleast they didn't have Austin drinking some. "It tastes a bit nutty." :rolleyes: :D

There is 30 some minutes of deleted scenes. Likely the scenes with Susanna Hoffs ended up on the cutting room floor. I also really didn't like Scott Evil in this one. While it leaves it open for a villian if they did a 4th one, I hope they don't. They wrapped everything up perfectly.

I don't mind the whole Austin and Dougie Powers resolution. I felt from the beginning they were going to end up related. But the fact that they were in Spy School together was pretty bad. The school uniforms made me expect to see flying broomsticks any moment. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
07-28-2002, 02:17 AM
I saw the movie last night, and laughed so hard my head hurt afterwards! :D

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2002, 04:18 AM
Does Dr. Evil die then or something?

wedgeA
07-28-2002, 05:46 AM
JJB,

You're right this one was closer in tone to the first one and I thought it was hilarious! The line about an apple being held by a baby's arm was brilliant and I loved the Hard Knock Life number.

I thought Goldmember really worked for me, I laughed almost everytime he was onscreen. This one was a great improvement over The Spy Who Shagged Me.

hango fett
07-28-2002, 07:51 AM
no. Dr. evil joins austin and his dad after finding out that nigel powers is Dr. evils dad too. but scott stays with the evil. that's what the next movie will most likely be about.
hango:p

QLD
07-28-2002, 09:30 AM
I saw it last night. I enjoyed it pretty much. I didn't really care for the Goldmember character though. He just.....well, wasn't funny to me.

I liked what they did with Scott, but I don't know if a #4 is a good idea.

The Hard Knock Life number was great.

The opening sequence was very funny.

The "shhhh" sequence was just weird....I mean, WHAT were they even doing?

I think the whole, dad, brother thing, well, just seemed like a big clusterfudge to me. Especially the ending, it just, happened. I can't explain it, but it just didn't feel.......right. Kind of rushed or sloppy.

Overall, I liked it, and was entertained. Though I didn't think it was too much better than the second one. And on a whole, I think that Undercover Brother was a much better movie.

hango fett
07-28-2002, 09:45 AM
i think i would have liked it if fat ******* would have stayed...........fat. but he was funny again overall. so was minie me!!!!
hango

Pendo
07-28-2002, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by hango fett
i think i would have liked it if fat ******* would have stayed...........fat. but he was funny again overall. so was minie me!!!!
hango

I'd liked him to have stayed fat too, but I thought the 'neck looking like a vagina' joke was funny :D.

PENDO!

Beast
07-28-2002, 10:08 AM
I doubt that there will be a 4th movie. Mike Myers is tired of the charecter, and wants to move onto somthing else. It's always possible that he could change his mind, that's why they left a possible reason for a 4th movie at the end. But they wrapped up all the other charecters, because they don't expect to make another one. I'm fine with them stopping now. Better that then they keep making movies, and run the franchise into the ground. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
07-28-2002, 10:36 AM
good while it lasted! very good!
hango

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2002, 10:58 AM
That's a shame I was hoping that they would be in a long, long series like Bond, well it was fun while it lasted.

Pendo
07-28-2002, 11:02 AM
I don't care how many they make as long as Mike Myers is the only person who play's Austin and co. Myers IS AP and I can't imagine anyone else trying to play him!

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2002, 11:38 AM
They'd never do it like that, although it would make a good opening joke if it looked like someone else was going to be playing him, like a reaaly well known American acter who can't do the English accent, and then the real Austin rumbles him, that would be funny!

hango fett
07-28-2002, 12:23 PM
that did happen in this movie. they were making a movie about austins life and tom cruise played austin.
hango

2-1B
07-28-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Overall, I liked it, and was entertained. Though I didn't think it was too much better than the second one. And on a whole, I think that Undercover Brother was a much better movie.

Good point, I was thinking the same thing this morning. I was told that the Foxxy Cleopatra character was meant as a sendup of blaxploitation flicks, and frankly I thought it was pretty weak. Undercover Brother did a fine job with that aspect, but I think Austin Powers should have extracted more from the Foxxy character.

Did you read Beyonce's interview in Maxim? She claimed Myers and Roach asked at her audition, "are you funny?"
Well, if she is funny, they didn't take advantage of it. She had some great looks on her face and she held up alright, but I didn't find her "funny." :)

Thanks to Eternal Padawan for reminding me how funny Michael Caine was regarding "the bloody Dutch." :D I did find that hilarious, and want to ammend my criticism of Caine a bit. :)

hango fett
07-28-2002, 01:08 PM
too bad i never saw under cover brother. i'll see it when it's on dvd.
hango fettx2

Eternal Padawan
07-28-2002, 01:12 PM
Did anybody notice Rob Cohen, Dave Foley and BILLY DEE WILLIAMS got thanked in the credits? No? Well I did because I have to clean the darn theatre six times a night.

"...Only a bloody Dutchman..."
"...and of course, they share a border with the Dutch..."

As I stated the first time around, Goldmember was a skeletal character with a weak accent and a one note joke. But Travolta PLAYING Goldmember was pretty funny.

Heather Graham's character Felicity Shagwell was going to get married to a guy named Allday, so her name would be Shagwell-Allday. Not very clever, glad it got cut.

Donna Derrico-Sixx was the "melon girl"

Susannah Hoff sang "Austin" during the end credits. You'd have to stay through all of them to catch it. (and help us clean the theatre while you're in there...)

Possible titles for the 4th film? I like Man with the Golden Mojo. I was thinking of that one last night at work. Great minds think alike!

Live and Let Shag?
A Shag to a Kill?
You Only Shag Twice?
Thunderballs? ;)
Grooveraker?
From Russia With Mojo?

ROLLO!

hango fett
07-28-2002, 01:15 PM
wow! must be fun/boring to work in a thearter...i have 0 room to speak...i work at a dairy bar!
hango

2-1B
07-28-2002, 01:47 PM
I like Thunderballs, but it would probably be too close to the original title it spoofs. :D

Thanks, now I get it . . . Shagwell-Allday - I thought I was forgetting a character named Allday from the other films. :rolleyes:

What about Hurley? I thought they should have had her appear at the beginning, "escaping" from Dr. Evil since he kidnapped her and left the kamikaze bride. Oh well. :)
Actually, at the beginning I thought it might be her on that bike. Turned out it was only Dixie Normus. :D

scruffziller

Who told you that -- Tom Green? :confused: :p

Jek Porky 2002
07-28-2002, 03:32 PM
Thunderballs would be too close to the origional title from Bond, they even had dificulty clearing Golmember and thats quite a bit different from Goldfinger.

Capitan_Moroni
07-28-2002, 03:46 PM
I too work in a movie theater and like the credit music on this one. The music durring the credits makes all the diffrence. I remember when we had Spy Kids and it had that stupid song that would get stuck in your head for weeks at a time slowly driving you to the brink of insanity!!!!!

We still have the ultimate insurance policy. Austin Powers Fajah. His what? His Fajah. His "farter?" no, his fajah, ya know? his fajah. his Dad, Dad is Fajah. Ohhhh, his FATHER.

Eternal Padawan
07-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Not only that, but Thunderball would have that damnable Kevin McClory all wrapped up in it, too. What an interminable yakoff. :mad:

ROLLO!

QLD
07-28-2002, 04:00 PM
I thought more about it today, and I stand by what I wrote this morning. It was OK, but no Undercover Brother. And Foxy seemed along for the ride really.

I think they crammed too much in too little time.

derek
07-28-2002, 05:35 PM
i'm as much a fan of fart jokes and tolite humor as the next guy, but i didn't find this movie at all funny. i was actually bored at times. this was once again a "trailer" movie; that is, if you've seen the trailer, you've seen the movie.
hopefully, this will be the last austin powers movie, but i doubt it, since it will probably make $70 million this weekend.
and , for the record, i did like the first two films.:)

the only thing i liked was danny devito as mini me. tom cruise as austin powers was lame.

2-1B
07-28-2002, 05:52 PM
I also didn't like the way Number 2 was pushed aside. :( Sure, Wagner wasn't in AP2 as much either, but at least the CHARACTER was (Rob Lowe ;) ).

I watched the first 2 films yesterday before going to the theater, and I only now realize that the blackjack dealer is played by the "Soup Nazi" Larry Thomas ! :D
Austin staying on 5 ? CLASSIC !

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-28-2002, 06:25 PM
I just saw it. I love Goooooooooooooooooold...member! I couldn't stop laughing.

Jon
07-28-2002, 07:41 PM
I liked the first Austin Powers very much, I really didn't care for the second one, and I have no desire to see Goldmember. It looks like a movie that will have some funny parts but overall be just plain boring. I think the character of Austin Powers just sucks now. I like Dr. Evil, Scott, Number 2 and the Frau but the rest of the evil gang sucks. Fat Bastard and Mini Me were so awful in 2, and how they just dumper Elizabeth Hurley off as a fembot just ****ed me off. Heather Graham sucked, Beyonce probably sukcs, most pop stars do, and I am getting sick of Mike Meyers' holier than thou crap. I will still see it on video because I do like Dr. Evil but I will never pay to see this in the theater

2-1B
07-28-2002, 07:41 PM
Did that prison guard (the one who let Frau in to see Dougie Evil) look like Katie Couric to any of you ? ? ? :confused:

I thought so, but assumed it wasn't her . . . however after speaking to a friend today he saw the same similarity. And we were in separate cities when we saw it. :D

DarthBrandon
07-28-2002, 07:45 PM
I'm afraid I'll be waiting for cheap night or when it comes out on DVD because I've seen the first two and I wasn't really impressed with either of them.

hango fett
07-28-2002, 09:05 PM
sheesh! you guys hate austin! it's your life. do as you please...i guess....IMO they all are equaly funny!
*grunts of disaprovale*
h. :frus:

QLD
07-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight..............

Eternal Padawan
07-28-2002, 11:50 PM
Caesar, that WAS Katie Couric. At least accordin* to the credits.

How come Will Farrel wasn't in this one? Mustafa!

ROLLO!

QLD
07-29-2002, 12:19 AM
EP, I didn't think of that. I always thought his character was pretty darn amusing. I didn't even notice Katy Couric.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-29-2002, 12:43 AM

That's True! Mustafa wasn't in the movie! It would have been even funnier if he were in there.

2-1B
07-29-2002, 01:04 AM
derek, you liberal lover you, did YOU notice Katie Couric? ;)
I bet Ann Coulter did ! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah, Mustafa's absence disturbed me. :(
Myers and McCullers must have had some serious cracks in their meat helmets to leave that guy out of the film. :D

Too bad Patty O'Brien couldn't return, they're always after his lucky charms.

Thanks to EP for the Couric confirmation - a search of IMDb proved inconclusive. :)

Beast
07-29-2002, 01:12 AM
Patty O' Brian was great. To bad they killed him off in the first film. That was a great scene, and special guest apperance of Tom Arnold though. :)

"Who does Number 2 work for?" :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 03:03 AM

ROLLO!

His legs are still broken and he is still at the bottom of that cliff!!!
If you watch after the credits of 2 noone is helping him!!!!:D
I have been reading through the posts and I am a little dissapointed that I have not seen anyone give props to the shadow curtain scene when Powers is riding on Mini Me's shoulders and the doc tells him to strip behind the curtain. THAT........THAT...........is the sequence that I believe that the critics were saying was the funniest in cinema history. Along with the apple juice:D.

As for alot of the "gross" humor that was here, usually I laugh at about anything, but this time it was just that "gross".

Goldmember charachter was very flat. I expected alot more development. From the trailers it seemed that Dr. Evil was taking a backseat. I would say it was a half and half trailer movie.

hango fett
07-29-2002, 07:18 AM
that is hilarious too! i just didn't know how to word it and not get into troubel!!! :crazed:

Capitan_Moroni
07-29-2002, 11:08 AM
I was thinking about the whole "who does number 2 work for?" thing today. Wouldent Austin Powers know that he worked for Dr. Evil seeing as how they went to the British Intelligence accadamy together? :confused: :confused: hmmmmmmmm

JetsAndHeels
07-29-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Did that prison guard (the one who let Frau in to see Dougie Evil) look like Katie Couric to any of you ? ? ? :confused:

I thought so, but assumed it wasn't her . . . however after speaking to a friend today he saw the same similarity. And we were in separate cities when we saw it. :D
Caesar, that was Katie Couric. She spoke about it last week on TV before the movie came out. She mentioned that working with Mike Myers and being on the set was alot of fun, and she really enjoyed it.

Exhaust Port
07-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
I'll probably end up seeing it in the theater but live to regret it as I always seem to do.

Well I was right 2 weeks ago. I just saw the movie and it sucked big time in my opinion. I wasn't the only one in the theater who thought so either. I probably could have counted the total laughs on one hand. I want my $5 and those 90 minutes back.

RooJay
07-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Watching a movie with a bad audience can really kill the experience, and I've found has a lot to do with peoples opinion of a movie (I spent a good deal of time in the theater business, as some already know).

Exhaust Port
07-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Watching a bad movie with a bad audience is even worse.

icatch9
07-30-2002, 07:51 AM
I found parts of the movie funny just like everyone did. I also found parts of the movie just silly and overdone. The story line in this one was lacking. The other two where silly, but the story was still there. I saw this the opening night at 7:30. The theater was packed and my fiance' and I where one of the few people in the theater that could leagly buy a drink. A lot of highschoolers there. That's not a bad thing, I just think that is the audience that Myers is playing towards. He likes the poo poo jokes, and it's no secreat that so do high school kids. It's stupid of us to expect some great work of art from this movie. It's not going to win an Oscar, but I do think Mike Myers is a genius and I do enjoy his work. This one may be a bit lesser quality, but I still laughed my bumb off :D. You cheeky monkies :)

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 08:11 AM
"Who does Number 2 work for?" :crazed: :D

That's right, you show that turd who's boss!

Jek Porky 2002
08-03-2002, 04:08 PM
I've just got back from seeing it, at long last. And I have to disagree with the majority of you that bit with Scott at the end leaves it wide open for a fourth. And also I thought Beyonce did a great job, she's got a great future ahead of her in acting.

Beast
08-03-2002, 04:12 PM
It does leave it open for a 4th film, JP2002. But from what I understand Mike Myers is tired of the charecter. That's why he wrapped up almost all the charecters with happy endings. He did leave a possible route to another movie, incase his career starts to bomb and he needs a quick hit. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
08-04-2002, 08:30 AM
I read in EW that Jay Roach cut almost 90 minutes of footage (that's the length of the film! :eek: ) including Liz Hurley, Heather Graham, Will Ferrell, Mr Bigglesworth, Rob Lowe, and a funny spoof of Magnolia where everybody is singing as Austin walks around town, just to name a few.

Helloooooooo, DVD :D

ROLLO!

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 09:14 AM
including Liz Hurley, Heather Graham, Will Ferrell, Mr Bigglesworthb]

I forgot about Mr. Bigglesworth and Mini Mr. Bigglesworth, the only time we see him is in that flash back to the 50's.

Pendo
08-04-2002, 09:20 AM
The film wasn't that long, I'm sure they could have put in some of the deleted scenes back onto it! Half of the deleted scenes seem funnier than most that was left in the film.

PENDO!

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 09:40 AM
Such as...

By the way, I like the use of ironic names that has been used all the way through:

Allotta ***ina
Ivana Humpalott
Felicity Shagwell (Allday)
Fook Yu
Fook Mi

I hope we do get to see the scene where Felicity says she's been married to a man called allday.

I think that Japanese twins second name should have been Haad, that would have been funny. Also what was Dr. Evils second name before he was Evil, I forgot:o

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 09:42 AM
Oh, one more

Dixie Normous

SQueek
08-04-2002, 03:21 PM
i think that movie would of been GREAT if a different editor decided what to put in and what not to. in my opinion goldmembers character was useless and we needed mustafa, and other numerous deleted scenes. i think AP3:recut could be one of the best movies of all time

Jek Porky 2002
08-04-2002, 05:06 PM
How do people know about the deleted scenes is there a site or something?

You look toight, toight as a toiger.

FKA Broke Collector
08-04-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Also what was Dr. Evils second name before he was Evil, I forgot:o

Doug I think.

stormie
08-04-2002, 11:27 PM
Likely the scenes with Susanna Hoffs ended up on the cutting room floor.

She was playing guitar in the "Daddy Wasn't There" song scene. Along with Matthew Sweet.

Loved this film. Entertainment, pure and simple. Most movies try to be something instead of just entertaining. It's all about entertainment. Then again, most movie critics don't get the "entertainment" thing either.

****ake mushroom anyone? :D

Beast
08-05-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
How do people know about the deleted scenes is there a site or something?
The director as well as Michael Caine mentioned that there were alot of scenes cut in some recent interviews. They also said that they would be included on the future DVD. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
08-05-2002, 02:14 AM
Yep, I saw it a second time and I can't believe I missed the delightful Susanna Hoffs playing in the band Ming Tea the first time I saw it ! ! ! :o She's pretty cool. :cool:

I wasn't all that crazy about the Goldmember character the first time, but I thought he was much funnier this time. Think I'll leave for a schmoke and a poncake.

I thought it was pretty cool when Dougie looks down at Mini-Me and gasps, "Leo!" :D

Jek Porky 2002
08-05-2002, 03:21 PM
I was reding an interview with Jay Roach, and he has confirmed many things like:

It was origionally a 3 hour long film and half had to be cut

And, this is the most exciting, half way through filming he and Myers began to talk of number 4, and he clearly said that the rumours of Goldmember being the last are just that, rumours. He said that they have had many ideas including a prequal and a storyline set in the future rather than the past.

By the way, I remeber know that his name was Dougie.

Jek Porky 2002
08-10-2002, 08:39 AM
Is there a release set for a DVD yet? Or is there any speculation?

Capitan_Moroni
08-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Now it is time for the shoosting to begin! Would you like a shmoke and a pankake? ya know, a shigaret and a flapjack, a shigar and a waffle, a pipe and a crrape, a bong and a blintz? Then there is no pleeeaseing you....

jjreason
08-14-2002, 01:12 AM
I just watched this movie and hated it. I loved the first one, didn't like the second one, and couldn't wait for this one to be over. Oh well, I wasn't figuring it would be the matrix or anything but the movie dragged on like skits on Saturday Night Live do nowadays. The premise is old and tired, and definitely needs something fresh to happen to it. Maybe a good PC game with few content boundaries would be the proper vehicle for this franchise to take off again.

RooJay
08-14-2002, 06:01 PM
While I don't agree with your assessment of the movie, I do agree that Austen Power's would make one helluva cool video game. Particularly using the same game engine as 007: Goldeneye or Perfect Dark! Add in lots of trademark Austen Powers sound bites, some cool animated sight gags, wacky weapons, power-ups and items, some cool retro (and even some modern) levels and multi-player arenas, lot's of Bond references and take-offs, and...VOILA, you've got yourself one seriously cool game! Imagine playing a multi-player game using all of Austen's supporting cast; Fat B*****d, Dr. Evil, Frau Farbissina, Scott, Mini-Me, Felicity Shagwell, Mustafa, Goldmember, and on, and on, not to mention Austen and others in lots of different scene specific outfits! Who do we haveta beg for this game?!:D

Mandalorian Candidat
08-16-2002, 04:06 PM
I'll admit that I'm not a big AP fan, but I went with a friend yesterday to finally see it. I went more because my buddy begged me than because I wanted to. My assessment is that the first few minutes were funny with the cameos but as soon as it went into that flaming dance number I was totally turned off. This was the worst movie I've seen in the theaters since I don't know when.

Mike Myers is a funny guy, but when the writing consists of 90% penis, fart, and bathroom jokes even with some originality, that says "Hey Americans! I think you're dumb and won't understand classier humor so I'm giving you this tripe to swallow." No thanks. It totally overshadowed the stuff that was funny without being blue. I hope they're won't be a fourth one.