PDA

View Full Version : MTV True Life of Star Wars Fan Dad

Master Goeweins
07-11-2002, 11:43 PM
Did anybody catch the show tonight on Dad's that embarrass their kids? One of them was a Star Wars fan who dressed up and took his unapproving son to Star Wars Celebration. I thought the show was touching and gave a more gentle insight into the minds of Star Wars fans.

The other Fathers shown were a lot less cool though. The poor kid who ran for class president. His Dad was downright obnoxiuos and selfish.

Jonna
07-11-2002, 11:46 PM
I stopped watching MTV when they stopped playing videos in the 80's.

Jedi Juice
07-12-2002, 12:49 AM
Yeah, my friend was just telling me about that episode. I think he said the other dads thought they were some kind of rapper and one was.....aw shoot I can't remember. Anyway, I do remember the Star Wars dad, and that's what this thread is about anyway.

rynobot
07-12-2002, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I stopped watching MTV when I was 15, I realized that they never played music.

Nebulaz
07-12-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Jonna
I stopped watching MTV when they stopped playing videos in the 80's.

you were old enough to watch tv and remember it back then?

QLD
07-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Most of us around here are old enough to remember MTV playing videos. After the Reagan era....they just.....gave up.

I remember MTV's debut. I was excite because I didn't have to stay up until 3 AM to se music videos anymore.

But, in the late 80's, and heck, I'll even give them an extension to the early 90's, they just quit caring about videos. In fact, they should re-name the channel if you ask me.

Jonna
07-12-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Nebulaz

you were old enough to watch tv and remember it back then?

What, like I am a rotting corpse or something? I remember watching MTV when it first went on the air waves on a tiny black and white tv in my room. Diamond Dave was the best! After that I would just play Atari 2600.

Damn, I'm only 27!:mad:

BanthaPoodoo
07-12-2002, 10:49 AM
Me & you are in the same boat, living fossils!!!!!

I remember having an Atari 2600, TV's without remotes (Oh the horror!!!!) & watching MTV with Downtown Julie Brown & all the other crazy folks too (my fave was & is Kari Wuhrer from Remote Control, she is soooooooo HOT!!!!!!!!)

But I digress.............

Was this True Life the same one where they showed the nudist colony???? I wish I would have seen it. I would have liked to have seen about the SW dad!

icatch9
07-12-2002, 11:38 AM
I watched it a little bit. I cought the last part of it. This guy was kind of scary. He seemed liked your typical red neck, but was a star wars red neck. He said he'd like to take his lightsaber and go off and be a Jedi. I understand why his son was asamed of him. I mean he seemed to be a little delusional. They where going to go to CII and his son said he'd go with him to see what all the fuss was about. The son said, I'm not going to like, I hate it, but I'll go to see what it's about. The boy was about 18-22.

We are all Star Wars fans hear, but this dude was one of the Scary kind of fans. The ones that have trouble telling the difference between movies and reality.

LTBasker
07-12-2002, 11:49 AM
It's MTV, you were expecting quality? :p

The guy was probably paid to act a certain way or say certain things, and the son most likely went because he was getting paid by MTV to have the experiance. ;)

QLD
07-12-2002, 12:14 PM
Jonna....I am 27 too. Man, we are ancient!

Jonna
07-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Jonna....I am 27 too. Man, we are ancient!

I can feel the flesh falling off my bones as we speak! And those hemorrhoids are killers!:cry: Oh, to be 26 again!;)

QLD
07-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Tell me about it! Thank heavens for Blue Cross/Blue Sheild and Super Poly Grip!

InsaneJediGirl
07-12-2002, 02:06 PM
I saw it..but I really dont believe the son.Was he putting on an act??I mean,you dont go to hating Starwars to dressing up as a Stormtrooper.:confused:

Although the guy said he wanted to be a real Jedi and believed in the Force..he wasnt as annoying/werid as the rapper guy.

Nebulaz
07-13-2002, 02:05 PM
I heard the rapper dad, was trying to bid kids to vote for his son in the school election.

BoShek
07-13-2002, 09:32 PM
The one guy, a friend of the kid I think, dressed up as a Snow Trooper! Very cool.

I would have painted the Snowtrooper outfit blue :crazed: :crazed:

morecow299
07-13-2002, 10:38 PM
i wish my dad was like that
then we would finally have something in common
:( :(

Tonysmo
05-05-2004, 04:26 AM
nothing better than diggin up old threads eh?

anyhoot - I found the "dad"s website. and his description of the whole deal

good read if ya ask me, and ya know - for all of us going to CIII - maybe even a bit of insight on where to go after the convention lets out..

enjoy

http://www.kincharbamin.com/MTV--and--Celebration-2.html

Rocketboy
05-05-2004, 10:15 AM
They still show it every once on a while. And like a auto accident, I watch it every time. I laugh like a moron every time I see it. It's one of the funniest things Mtv has ever aired.

Allie Fox
07-15-2004, 04:49 PM
That guy lives in Atlanta and is an active member of the Atlanta FanForce group.

Vortex
07-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Ahhh, MTV...sort of miss it, well the non stop music videos. I remember sitting around watching it in my break dancing pants, with jelly bracelets on, and Velcro shoes, when that channel was in its infantsy. Before “payola” started to set in and the same videos were recycled every half hour all day or filler between bad cartoons and game shows.

Sort of remember watching the 1st MTV video…Video killed the Radio Star…if memory serves, and watching the 1st MTV awards. Curt Loader giving us up to date cutting news when he was younger and not so scary looking…

I think we can thank MTV for the real life shows that are flooding the market right now. The networks are pandering to us late 20 early 30 something that got our 1st taste of reality TV with all those stupid MTV reality shows in the late 80’s early 90’s and today, man I ate that crap up back then, and I can’t stand that junk today. Darn network execs, feeding us recycled dribble and making old new again. But we’re always victims of marketers. *Sigh* I want my old MTV.