PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Zelda

Jedi Juice
07-12-2002, 12:03 AM
Hey does anyone have any info on the new Zelda game for the Game Cube? I think the game will be more cartoonish, but I'm not quite positive. I really enjoyed the past two games on the N64, especially the graphics. It seems that Nintendo would be taking a step backward by creating cartoonish graphics, but who am I to criticize.

derek
07-12-2002, 12:12 AM
have the graphics changed recently? the last screens i saw at the GC launch looked really cool. no "cartoon" stuff there.:)

Boba Rhett
07-12-2002, 02:11 AM
This (http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/zelda/celda10.jpg) used ot be this (http://cubemedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/zelda/zeldademo/link_char.jpg)

But that's super old news. It's been pushed back to next year too. :(

QLD
07-12-2002, 08:09 AM
I think the new Zelda game looks awesome. I don't understand all of the backlash. If anything, I am tired of the 3-D games myself. Does EVERYTHING have to be 3-D? Well, actually, this will be 3-D too, but with a different look. The game play is going to be similar to the N64 titles, and after all, isn't that what matters anyway?

evenflow
07-12-2002, 09:21 PM
Zelda has always been my favorite. As of right now I hate the way the game looks. This is really the first time where i am worried about how much i like the game. Zelda is the only reason why i continue to purchase nintendo systems, I hope that i can get passed the way it looks. I think it looks terrible, and the 3D version looked much better.

yukface27
07-12-2002, 11:49 PM
If you guys pick up the new issue of EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly: best video gaming magazine, period), you'll find a great preview on the new Zelda (and some great E3 coverage). The new Zelda is looking very cartoonish, yes. They're going with the ever popular cell-shading graphics, that gives a lot of games a very cartoonish look (examples: Cell Damage, Jet Set Radio). The cool thing about the new graphics is that it's going to make the game flow together nicely (no splits and crappy lines in the landscape and what not). Well, I don't wanna go on, so just pick up the mag and learn.

QLD
07-13-2002, 03:39 PM
Zelda II - The Adventure of Link was very different from the first one.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were very different from the original and SNES versions. SO change isn't always bad.

yukface27
07-13-2002, 08:04 PM
Exactly!!!

evenflow
07-13-2002, 10:30 PM
I dont know. Until i actually play it, i wont be happy with the way it looks.

pthfnder89
07-14-2002, 02:12 PM
Although I'm usually a sucker for the typical, flashier 3D graphics, I think it's a really nice step in a new direction. I'm looking forward to giving it a try when it's released

conli olper
07-14-2002, 02:25 PM
i reckon the new zelda style looks pretty interesting, good even. the only thing im not sure about is nintedo monkeying around with the look of one of their trademark images/icons *link*. does this mean that from now on on nintendo posters, press releases, letter heads, future smash bros games, etc, we will be seeing the new cartoon style link. i guess so, which a bit of shame and will probably take some getting used to but in general i think this game is headed in an interesting direction and look forward to playing it.

Jedi Juice
07-14-2002, 02:36 PM
I just read in a recent interview of Shigeru Miyamoto in Nintendo Power that the new Zelda game will take place before the original Legend of Zelda. So I guess that's why the cartoonish graphics?

evenflow
07-15-2002, 01:39 PM
I dont know if ibuy that excuse though.

Lord Malakite
07-15-2002, 03:58 PM
Mr. Miyamoto is just trying to do something a little new and inventive. I wouldn't worry too much. The game will be good when its released.

This Zelda will be the third in the series. The general story is that Link's sister Arilla has been taken hostage and he must now set out and rescue her.

QLD
07-17-2002, 10:09 AM
Yes, the game will be good. No one got all in an uproar when they made Zelda 3-D. That was a DRASTIC change, and Link looked very different. Oh well, can't please everyone.

Lobito
07-17-2002, 06:14 PM
I cant wait to play this game...as a RPG fan i always give every game the benefit of the doubt. :D

QLD
07-19-2002, 11:54 AM
Glad to see someone so open minded about games Lobito! SO many people these days are not accepting of change.

Jedi_Bates
07-20-2002, 12:01 AM
hmm...what to say, well, i have heard rummors that the whole cell/ cartoonish look is just a spoof to add a ton of hype when the game is released. Although people say that the N64 version was so much better than the cartoon version but these people must have forgotten what N64 really looked like, if you want turn it on and pop in the ocarina of time looks like we all have been playing a little bit too much new generation game consoles eh? cuz the game looks alot worse than we all remember. And no, im not saying that the ocarina of time isnt like one of the greatest all time games ive ever played but i just want people to take one more look at the comparison in graphics.

scruffziller
07-29-2002, 08:00 AM
I have always been a Zelda fan. I was a little diapointed when they weren't going to make it 3D like in SUper Smash Bros, but it might be to conserve data for more of the game than the graphics too. It will probably be a cool change too. I heard it will come out about Feb/March 2003.

bigbarada
08-24-2002, 11:20 PM
I love this new look. The cell-shading thing is cool, IMO. Who cares if other games have used it before. Zelda: OOT didn't pioneer 3D graphics. I'm also glad that Miyamoto isn't afraid to tool around with his most successful creations, this will guarantee that these games will never become stale or "same-old, same-old." People put way too much emphasis on graphics and system specifications these days.

The true test of the game will be in the gameplay. As far as Zelda games are concerned, graphics are irrelevent. Link's Awakening for the old Game Boy is one of the best Zelda games ever, IMO. Only Majora's Mask has a better story (I've only played the SNES, Game Boy, N64 games though, I haven't finished the original NES games, yet).

BTW, ever so slightly off topic, but does anyone know where I can get some kind of strategy guide for the very first Zelda game? I downloaded an NES emulator a few months back and am having some serious troubles finding my way around this game.

Lord Malakite
11-15-2002, 08:57 PM
Here is the japanese name for the game: "Legend of Zelda: Kaze no Takuto". Also, Famitsu, one of Japan's leading game magazines, has revealed that Nintendo plans to release a special campaign disc to those who pre-order Legend of Zelda: Kaze no Takuto between November 28 and December 14. The offer only applies to Japan. The special collector's disc will include Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time from the N64 and the previously deceased 64DD version of Ura Zelda, now called Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (GC Ura). Both titles are selectable in the menu screen on the campaign disc.

There are no specific details as to whether or not the GameCube version of Ocarina of Time will be visually improved. Furthermore, Ocarina of Time (GC Ura) is still a mystery. Previously Nintendo had suggested it may contain different item placement and a possible alteration to some temples, but there has been no official word on this latest version.

Lastly, the special campaign disc will also include content for Biohazard 4 and F-Zero GC. No details are available as to whether or not they will be playable demos or video clips.

Nintendo of America was unavailable for comment at the time and has made no official statements about the special disc being available stateside. Lets just hope they do make it available.

Also, be certain to watch the trailer (http://www.zelda.com/video.html). Its awsome.

Three Zelda games for the price of one. Gotta love that. :happy:

Lord Malakite
11-15-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
BTW, ever so slightly off topic, but does anyone know where I can get some kind of strategy guide for the very first Zelda game? I downloaded an NES emulator a few months back and am having some serious troubles finding my way around this game.

Probably a little too late now, but this site (http://faqs.ign.com/objects/005/005990.html) has pictures of the dungeons and overworlds for both quests in the first game.

QLD
11-16-2002, 11:10 AM
Man, that video for Zelda looks freaking AWESOME!!

James Boba Fettfield
12-02-2002, 03:17 PM
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. That is the official US title for the game.

QLD
12-02-2002, 05:21 PM
The Wind Waker?

Sounds like he ate too much cracklin' oat bran!

James Boba Fettfield
12-04-2002, 11:07 PM
The game shall ship on March 24, 2003. So expect it available in stores on the 25th.

EDIT: Also, it seems Americans will receive those bonus disks as IGN is reporting:

December 04, 2002 - Last month IGNcube reported that Japanese gamers who pre-ordered Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, US) would receive a bonus disc containing the full N64 Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Ura-Zelda. Today American retailers stated that the bonus disc would be available in the US, too.
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is scheduled to hit US store shelves on March 24, 2003, but gamers who pre-order it can gain access to the two bonus Zelda games. The first, Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is essentially the N64 game of the same name running in high-resolution. No other alterations have been made. The second -- called "Ura-Zelda" in Japan, has been dubbed Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest. This version is nearly identical to the N64 adventure except that some dungeons that Link manipulates have been "remixed" so that puzzles function differently, in effect creating a slightly different version of the game.

We asked Nintendo of America for official comment on whether or not the US will be receiving the bonus games, and a company spokesperson said that "nothing is confirmed at this time."

More as it develops.

Lord Malakite
12-04-2002, 11:46 PM
You can already guess who is going to preorder that game. Got to get me that bonus disk. :D

Wolfwood319
12-05-2002, 01:22 PM
I played a little of Cel-Da last month, and it wasn't that bad. The graphics flow seemless-ly, and it looks like you're playing a cartoon. The control scheme is very similar to the N64 games, and the interface is pretty much the same too.

The graphics do take some getting used to though. And it does look very very childish. You are basically playing a children's cartoon.

Hardcore Zelda fans will either love it or hate it. Casual gamers might be turned off because of the graphics. Either way, its a big gamble for nintendo, IMO. I personally would rather have had it like that original video that showed at E3 a few years back of Link fighting Ganondorf.

Banthaholic
12-05-2002, 10:01 PM
Has anyone played the Multi-player mode yet for the Game Boy Advance? I can't wait till spring when they release the game boy advanse plug in for the game cube so I'll be able to multi-player it up on the big screen

Princess_Leila
12-19-2002, 01:07 AM
Guys,

I really can't wait to play this! I will have my copy of the japanese version tomorrow! I actually love the new cartoony look of Link. It is closer to the spirit of the original I find. And the bonus disk is a great plus!

Actually, I will get two copies of this game (complete with bonus disk), due to a little communication mistake. If anybody wants a copy, just tell me and I'll sell it to you at cost, okay?

ja mata!

scruffziller
02-05-2003, 01:16 PM
I just played the demo at WAL MART!!!!!!! It is so friggin' awesome. It is just like playing a real cartoon!!!! If you sign up with a deposit for it starting FEB. 16 you will get a promotional suped up version for GC of OCARNIA OF TIME. THe game is pretty much the same but the dungueons are made to be really hard.:D
I saw the WARIO WORLD movie too. It is going to kick MARIO SUNSHINE into the sand.

Lord Malakite
02-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
If you sign up with a deposit for it starting FEB. 16 you will get a promotional suped up version for GC of OCARNIA OF TIME. THe game is pretty much the same but the dungeons are made to be really hard.:D

Actually, preorders for the game with bonus disk have already started scruff.

As for what is on the bonus disk. It includes both Ocarina of Time and Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, as well as previews for Resident Evil 4 and F-Zero GC. OoT will be exactly like the N64 version of the game. Oot: Master Quest is the updated version of OoT you mentioned. You can think of it as the equivalent to the 2nd. quest for the original Zelda game on the NES. OoT: Master Quest (URA Zelda) was originally supposed to be released for the the N64 Disk Drive.

scruffziller
02-06-2003, 07:54 AM
THis is what nintendogamecube.com said.

This game will be released for Nintendo GameCube as a special pre-sell item for those Zelda fans who reserve their copy of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

Starting Feb. 16, 2003, when a customer places a deposit for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker at a participating retailer, they’ll receive a special, limited-edition playable disk featuring two games: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest -- an updated version of the game which was never released outside of Japan.

The Master Quest version of Ocarina of Time contains the same overall storyline as the original Ocarina of Time adventure. However, the dungeons have been upgraded to be truly challenging, even to a Zelda master.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know who the participating retailers are.

Lord Malakite
02-06-2003, 10:16 AM
February 16th. is the day they officially start giving out the bonus disk for preordering scruff. If you preorder before the 16th. you'll still be entitled to the bonus disk, you just have to go pick it up on or after the 16th. (unless you bought it on the internet). If you bought it on the internet you can have two options. Have it shipped on 16th. for about $5 or wait unil March and have both games shipped together.

Participating retailers are just about anyone who will let you preorder games in advance. Toys R' Us, Electronic Boutique, Best Buy, KayBees Toys, and Circuit City are just a few. I think Wal-Mart may even let you preorder (I'm still waiting for Dar to get back with me on that one though).

scruffziller
02-06-2003, 01:14 PM
What if I wait till the 16th will I still be able to get it or will I be out of luck?

I just talked to the dept. manager in electronics at WM and the Nintendo supplier had not said anything to him about it so I don't know.

Lord Malakite
02-06-2003, 02:25 PM
You should be able to get it if you wait till the then. It just depends on how many preorders there are and how many disks Nintendo ships to each store. Obviously the sooner you preorder the better, as they will probably honor the earlier preorders first.

The whole Wal-Mart thing I'm uncertain of. I was under the impression they didn't do preorders. However I've been hearing some talk recently about preordering at Wal-Mart. So I sent Dar a PM asking about it. I still haven't heard anything back from him.

scruffziller
02-07-2003, 08:15 AM
I just went to Best Buy.com and preordered. But it said something about mailing a in a rebate form. It was somewhat vaugue.

QLD
02-07-2003, 09:41 AM
I would recommend Electonics Boutique for pre-ordering. I used to work there, and they are very good about getting bonus items to people who pre-order, and have the ability to track who pre-ordered first.

Lord Malakite
02-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Try one of these links. They will take you to the rebate form. Simply fill it out and mail it in along with a copy of your receipt and you should recieve the bonus disk in the mail.

http://www.bestbuy.com/rebatecenter/brand.asp?b=100058&name=Nintendo
http://www.bestbuy.com/rebatecenter/rebatepu.asp

scruffziller
02-07-2003, 12:29 PM
So I will only be able to get the bonus disc after I recieve my game.

Lord Malakite
02-07-2003, 05:32 PM
You should have everything to send in for the rebate now, provided you printed out your online receipt after preordering.

scruffziller
02-07-2003, 09:07 PM
no i didn't is there a way to go back and bring that page up.

Lord Malakite
02-08-2003, 12:55 PM
I'm not certain if you can.

scruffziller
02-08-2003, 01:00 PM
I went back in and found it I believe it shows all the details of how much it is and everything and my financial info. It looks the same as what it did when I completed it. The title of it is ORDER DETAIL.

Lord Malakite
02-08-2003, 01:34 PM
That should be it.

Teeska Mon Eebon
02-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I forgot is the pre order just like 5 or 10 dollars or the whole 50 something?

Lord Malakite
02-10-2003, 08:30 PM
On the average its about $5 to $10 to preorder.

Teeska Mon Eebon
02-12-2003, 07:29 PM
OK It was 10 dollars at Walmart! I picked it up last night and it's great!

Teeska Mon Eebon
02-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Oh and my Walmart doesn't know how to do Pre-orders it confused them for a long time (like 15-20 muinets) and they ended up confusing me but they didn't want to charge -49.96 for a peice of paper or whatever it was. So beware know how to do them if you go there just incase the walmart emplees don't know how to do them yourself's. I kinda suspected that they might have trouble as mentioned eirlier they just started dooing pre-orders.

scruffziller
02-13-2003, 08:07 AM
Man my Wal Mart better get with the program.

Lord Malakite
02-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Dar finally got back to me. To his knowledge, Wal-Mart isn't doing pre-orders. Then again, Teeska Mon Eebon pre-ordered from Wal-Mart. So my best advice is to pre-order from someone else known to do pre-orders, if you can. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Speaking of which, Nintendo of America announced today that more than 250,000 gamers in the US have already pre-ordered its anticipated action-adventure Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker.

scruffziller
02-14-2003, 10:34 AM
It appears that if you preordered online like on Best Buy, you got to wait till after 3/25 to send out the form to get the free game since you don't actually have a receipt till after then to print out.
That is what the folks at the rebate center of Best Buy said. Getting the free game is considered a rebate.

evenflow
02-19-2003, 12:27 PM
I just got my copy of the Ocarina of Time for gamecube. Pretty cool stuff.

scruffziller
02-20-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
I just got my copy of the Ocarina of Time for gamecube. Pretty cool stuff.

Where at?

evenflow
02-22-2003, 09:57 AM
If you pre-order the new Zelda with 15.00 down at participating stores they will give you the bonus copy right there. I got mine at Planet X. I have seen a couple of other stores doing this as well.

Dar' Argol
02-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Malakite, i checked with our Electronics Dept manager and she said that yes they were doing pre-orders. They had x amount of the free game there for the pre-order, but by tues they were gone. She also said that they haven't done a pre-order as a company for a couple years now, something about problems and such. But now all of a sudden they are doing it again. So, my info was incorrect.

scruffziller
02-26-2003, 02:08 PM
That just goes to show you how efficent my Wal Mart is.:frus: I inquired about right around the time the actual promo discs were coming out on Feb 16. They knew nothing about it, recieved no info, because they usually get an e-mail on their Telxons. And before you know it, it all happened and over with, the limit of preorders were filled and I never heard a peep or seen a poster or anything. Luckily, I still preordered from Best Buy online. I just hope they will come through for me because of that rebate provision. I don't like trying to get rebates. I have never had a problem but my brother has, but this should be different..........hopefully.:(

bigbarada
03-18-2003, 12:09 AM
I pre-ordered my copy of Zelda at K-Mart, paid $15, and was given my copy of OOT:MQ right on the spot (I think it was their last copy). A few days later, I found several copies of the disc sitting in a promo box at Hastings for a $5 pre-order (they were all gone the next day though). If you missed out on the disc, I'm pretty sure they'll be all over ebay in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know the actual release date? I've heard March 24 (incidentally, the same release day as the new Gameboy), but my pre-order coupon says the 26th. Which is it?

James Boba Fettfield
03-18-2003, 12:38 AM
March 24th straight from Zelda.com. Usually those dates mean when they're shipped to stores, so you might want to wait until the 25th to pick the game up.

scruffziller
03-18-2003, 01:59 PM
It said it will be available at WM on the 19th.

bigbarada
03-18-2003, 10:52 PM
The 19th????:confused:

Somebody help me out here, what exactly was the point of pre-ordering the game if you don't actually get the game until a week after everyone else?:frus:

Lord Malakite
03-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Somebody help me out here, what exactly was the point of pre-ordering the game if you don't actually get the game until a week after everyone else?:frus:

The free, two game bonus disk. :D

The official release date is the 24th., but that dosen't mean they couldn't show up sooner or later. It just depends on when the shipment arrives to the store and how that particular store's policy in handling/honoring Nintendo's wishes are.

scruffziller
03-19-2003, 07:23 AM
I could have misread the poster too.

scruffziller
03-20-2003, 08:41 AM
I was wrong, I looked at it wrong it is the 26th.

scruffziller
03-21-2003, 11:43 AM
I actually saw the date for Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire.

bigbarada
03-22-2003, 12:56 AM
Yeah, my Wal-Mart says the 26th now also. Which is a relief. If the game had come out earlier, I would have spent my entire Spring Break playing it instead of going to the computer lab and catching up on my homework assignments.:sur: As it stands, I'll only waste half the week, not the whole week.:o

bigbarada
03-26-2003, 01:43 AM
Tomorrow's the big day..... for me anyways. Everyone else here has probably already bought their copy which would explain why this thread has been dormant for five days.

Bastards!!:mad:

:p ;) :D :cool:

QLD
03-26-2003, 06:26 AM
LOL BibB.

I am gonna pick up my copy today I think. But who knows when I'll have time to play it.

12inch Lando
03-27-2003, 06:39 AM
IGOTZ MINE!!! How 'bout you? (Windwaker)

scruffziller
03-27-2003, 07:55 AM
Not yet, coming in the mail.

JesusFreak
03-28-2003, 12:09 AM
I got mine last Tuesday. From what I've played, it's one of my favorite games of all time. :D

mrmiller
03-28-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by JesusFreak
I got mine last Tuesday. From what I've played, it's one of my favorite games of all time. :D

:crazed:

I hope it's a very good game, but unless you've been playing it 24/7 since you got it a week ago- I find you statment halarious.

Man, I gotta get me a GC. I'm missing out on Zelda and Metroid...

So anyone else have any reviews on Zelda? Or are you all too busy playing it to post in the forums :p

=MATT=

QLD
03-28-2003, 09:28 AM
I got it the other day, but I won't have time to play it for at least a few weeks.

bigbarada
03-29-2003, 01:10 AM
I picked mine up on Wednesday night and this game is incredible!! I find myself laughing out loud at some of the animations and Link's facial expressions are priceless!

Some moments while travelling the sea get a little tense and can be somewhat frustrating early on when you don't have a lot of weapons, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. Playing the Wind Waker also took a little getting used to after playing through OOT:MQ just days earlier, but that's also getting easier.

I'll echo JesusFreak's sentiment, this is easily one of the best games I've ever played!:cool:

Lord Malakite
04-01-2003, 12:22 PM
I got my copy of Wind Waker last Friday via UPS along with OOT/OOT: Master Quest. Got up to the "Tower of the Gods" in WW and completed "Inside the Deku Tree" for Master Quest before I had to go back to college on Sunday. Unfortunately, I won't get another chance to play until June. :( At least I finally got a chance to play Metroid Prime and completed it before Spring Break was over. :)

James Boba Fettfield
04-01-2003, 12:38 PM
You don't play it at the Ohio U.?

scruffziller
04-01-2003, 12:46 PM
I got mine the other day. I really like the rich animation and little subtlties that the charachters do regardless of the minamilism the artwork has. In fact I think it gives it more of an actual cartoon feel to it than anyother game I have played. I think the heat waves in the volcano is a nice touch.

scruffziller
04-03-2003, 08:27 AM
Now I thought this was supposed to be a prequel. But it seems as though this takes place way after. This new kid seems like he is a reincarnation of Link.

evenflow
04-03-2003, 01:56 PM
GREATEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lord Malakite
04-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Now I thought this was supposed to be a prequel. But it seems as though this takes place way after. This new kid seems like he is a reincarnation of Link.

It takes place 100 years after Ocarina of Time. If you noticed, the story at the begining of the game recounts the final battle from Ocarina of Time in addition to the return of Ganon.

Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
You don't play it at the Ohio U.?

No, I left my stuff at home.

James Boba Fettfield
04-03-2003, 03:56 PM
The games are supposed to follow different Links, or Heros in their battles against the recurring evil Ganon. It was hard for me to swallow that fact, but once you do, the games make a lot more sense.

scruffziller
04-04-2003, 09:34 AM
So it never has really been one single Link? Where is a place that explains this?

QLD
04-04-2003, 09:38 AM
I would hope it would be different Links. It wouldn't make any sense if they were supposed to be the same one. Mostly because every time, they make a new game, they "re-start" the story, or they are of no relation. You would think the same Link would remember fighting Gannon 5 different times.

James Boba Fettfield
04-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Ask Lord Malakite about a site for the information. He's Nintendo's spokesman on this board. Granted, games like Majora's Mask and Ocarina are about the same Link, but the Link from a Link to the Past is different than the one from Wind Waker, who is also different from the one in Ocarina. The basic story is that every so many generations a Hero emerges to fight Evil, thus it's like Link and Ganon are being reincarnated in a set cycle. Weird stuff, but Malakite can explain it better than I ever could.

I suspect Miyamoto and Malakite have shared many a candlelit dinners and discussed Nintendo mythology.

scruffziller
04-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Yea that is the story I am going with the reincarnation theory.
I also theorize that Tetra is a reincarnation and/or descendant of Zelda.

James Boba Fettfield
04-04-2003, 03:46 PM
I can sense it now, he's getting ready to post something very big.

Lord Malakite
04-04-2003, 04:06 PM
There is no 100% right answer to how the entire story fits together or how many different Links and Zeldas there have been total, but this is how I break them up into order.

Timeline:
Ocarina of Time (Original/Master Quest)
Majora's Mask
The Wind Waker
Four Swords
A Link to the Past (SNES/GBA)
Link's Awakening (Original/DX)
Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons

Link I:
Majora's Mask

Link II:
The Wind Waker
Four Swords

Link III:
Link's Awakening (Original/DX)

Link IV:
Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link

Link V:
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

Zelda I:
Majora's Mask

Zelda II:
The Wind Waker
Four Swords

Zelda III:
The Adventure of Link

Zelda IV:

Zelda V:
Legend of Zelda

Zelda VI:
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

Ganondorf (Ganon):
The Wind Waker
Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

scruffziller
04-05-2003, 09:27 AM
Is anyone using the Tingle Tuner?

Bobajames
04-05-2003, 10:36 AM
i just made it to the deku tree on my windwaker... I think i play too much, but i am lovin it
the graphics and animations are smooth, controls are good, environments are huge. its awesome

Lord Malakite
04-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Is anyone using the Tingle Tuner?

Nope. I have a GBA, but no GCN/GBA link cable.

scruffziller
04-05-2003, 01:19 PM
I have made it to the Water Tower temple.

I have helped 2 of the goddesses to their platforms.

Lord Malakite
04-06-2003, 06:06 PM
The Toronto Sun posted this in their newspaper today. An interesting read, especially for us SW fans. :D

Sunday, April 6, 2003
Stuff of Legend
Hey Zelda fans, it's 'astoundingly good'

By STEVE TILLEY, SUN MEDIA

Wow. Really, when it comes down to it, that's all that needs to be said: Wow.

Despite its much-maligned cartoony look and its wide-eyed cherub of a hero, nobody really expected The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker to be a bad game. Not even I, the king of jaded cynicism/cynical jadedness.

But I had no idea it would be so astoundingly good.

Nintendo's recent hit Metroid Prime was a fantastic example of how the core elements of classic 8-bit gaming can be revitalized with a shiny new presentation on a next-generation console. The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker goes beyond even that.

The story begins 100 years after the events in the Nintendo 64 best-seller The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. On a tiny island, a young boy celebrating his birthday is dressed in the green garb of a legendary hero (yes, that would be Link) as part of a tradition to honour the memory of the hero's deeds.

When his sister is kidnapped by a giant bird, our tow-headed tyke begins a quest of absolutely Skywalkerian proportions, leaving his home as a wet-behind-the-ears boy to become a warrior, hero and saviour of the world.

Sometimes it seems like game developers get caught up in new technologies and graphical innovations and forget the simple fact that games ought to be fun and rewarding while telling a compelling story. While The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker's cel-shaded visual style does look absolutely stunning, the thing that makes this game such a standout is the fact it's just so much fun to play.

Fighting huge monsters, figuring out crafty puzzles, acquiring new magical items, sailing across a seemingly endless ocean dotted with uncharted islands, gliding through the sky ... it's the stuff legends are made of, and the game is reminiscent of an animated feature that Walt Disney or Japan's Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away) might have crafted.

In fact, George Lucas could learn a thing or three from his video-game counterpart, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto. Where Lucas sacrificed substance for style in his sterile Star Wars prequels, Miyamoto's innovative visual style still allows his epic story and beautifully modulated gameplay to shine through.

As if all this weren't enough, The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker is the first game to make use of the connectivity between the Game Boy Advance and the GameCube in a way that doesn't feel like a cheap gimmick or an afterthought. After finding and freeing your helpful pal Tingle in the game, you can hook up a GBA to the Cube and use it to summon Tingle, who does everything from offering hints to assigning little mini-quests. It adds a whole new dimension to the game, and can even allow a second person to play along in a limited capacity.

It's hard to imagine another game besting The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker this year, or even in this console generation. Unless you're seriously fun-impaired, you owe it to yourself to get this game. It's that good.

BOTTOMLINES

Zelda fans will adore it, and even those who associate Link with sausages and golf will find themselves captivated by this richly imagined world

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: THE WIND WAKER

GameCube

Nintendo

Sun Rating: 5 out of 5

James Boba Fettfield
04-06-2003, 07:28 PM
Miyamoto is truly a king among video game designers. Shigeru, this one's for you and all of the kick *** stuff you helped get out there.

scruffziller
04-07-2003, 12:25 PM
I KNEW IT, TETRA IS ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way it doesn't take 100 years after OOT but HUNDREDS!!!!!!!!! of years after. With the premise of the setting of the game with the ocean and all it didn't make sense that only a hundred years had passed.

scruffziller
04-09-2003, 07:27 AM
Sorry for that little spoiler above, but man this game is starting to get hard. At first I though this is too easy. Now, after getting all the pearls, it is really getting HARD!!!

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 06:36 PM
I read in numerous places the game had the same difficulty as Ocarina of Time. From what I've observed in the game so far, that pretty much rings true.

scruffziller
04-24-2003, 08:15 AM
I have made it inside the Earth Temple.

scruffziller
04-27-2003, 04:36 PM
I have beaten the Wind and Earth temples.

scruffziller
04-28-2003, 12:49 PM
I am now at Ganon's Tower.

Trip J
04-29-2003, 08:33 AM
I just finished up yesterday. I really, really enjoyed the game, but somehow I felt unfulfilled at the end.

The final battle with Ganon was too easy ( though the end of that fight was cool, trust me).

I don't know what it is. I think maybe the game was just a little too short. Anyone else feel this way?

scruffziller
04-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Since I am in Ganon's Tower right now and am near the end, I do feel the game was rather short. Not that many temples to go through. It seemed like a lot of busy work moreso than trying to figure things out. The extensiveness of OOT and Majora's Mask was a great deal more, but I have really enjoyed the game nonetheless.

Trip J
04-29-2003, 12:25 PM
That's just it. I really enjoyed the game. I liked the gameplay, liked the graphics, liked everything about it. I just wish there was more somehow.

Even MM seemed bigger, and I think it had fewer dungeons than this one. Those were huge though.

scruffziller
05-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Well I got my OOT/OOT Master's Quest in the mail finally Wheeeeewooh....that was a close one. I'll never do that again. Did anyone who did the mail thing get their's yet?

Well played it a little bit on the Master Quest. And I have to say I am rather disappointed. I thought the graphics were going to be majorly improved. I was in the Deku Tree and so far the only real bigger challenge was there being more enemies. So I gues my hopes were a little too high.

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 01:26 AM
I finished the game a couple of weeks after buying it, I did feel that it was a little too short. I think they tried to beef it up with all the treasure hunting and side quests; but I really just want more dungeons. From what I understand, Miyamoto pulled two dungeons from the game shortly before release, because he felt making the game too long would hurt it's all-ages appeal.:rolleyes:

Maybe we'll get a Master Quest version, with the two dungeons put back in, sometime in the future.

I agree with Trip J, I did feel a little unfulfilled at the end. If Miyamoto planned to have it lead directly into a sequel, then I hope we see that sequel soon.

My other complaints, I didn't care for the ocean travelling at all. The novelty of it was nice at first, but it wore thin very quickly. I found myself staring longingly at the submerged areas of Hyrule that I would never be allowed to explore. I hope any sequel to this game goes back to the standard land-based travel.

Lastly, the scavenger hunting thing was taken waaaay too far. Totems, flowers, skull pendants, joy pendants, figurines, jelly drops, heart pieces, etc. It's just too much, I stopped caring after a while.

As much as it pains me to admit it, this game was a bit of a let-down. I never thought I would say that of any Zelda game.:(

scruffziller
06-26-2003, 02:31 PM
Yea I found it awfully weird that there was only 2 major dungeons in the game. The ones that you had to open with the big tunes. What was the deal with recycling the already fought monsters in Ganon's castle. That was a snore. All ages rating.......pppppptttttttt. I don't see how that would even apply. It's not like you can't start over from where you were and not continue.

Lord Malakite
06-27-2003, 08:10 AM
I finally got a chance to finish the Wind Waker for both 1st. and 2nd. quests. Overall I thought it was a good game, I only wish there was at least one more dungeon. The one main thing I haven't done yet is the Tingle Tuner stuff, but I plan to as soon as I get a GCN/GBA link cable. Might as well since I already have a Game Boy Advance.

Has anyone completed the Nintendo Gallery yet? Mine is missing only three statues: Komali, Knuckle, and Link with the King of Red Lions. I could have two of those, but that means I wouldn't be able to get Knuckle. Knuckle requires the Tingle Tuner to get it though. :rolleyes:

I'm working on the rest of Ocarina of Time: Master Quest now. Overall its just as good as the original, plus the remixed dungeons are definately a bit challenging. My only real gripe with it is the controller layout isn't as good as it was on the Nintendo 64, especially when you have to use the Ocarina for the timed mini games. Can't complain too much though since it was free. If I get tired of the GameCube layout I can always play my copy of the original on the Nintendo 64. ;)

Speaking of Zelda games, there are supposedly four more in the works. Legend of Zelda: Tetra's Trackers - GCN (think Mario Party, only with Zelda characters), Legend Of Zelda: Four Swords - GCN (same basic idea as Four Swords from LttP/Four Swords for the GBA, but the story and actual game isn't the same), a "Wind Waker" sequel - GCN (no info. has been giving for this yet other than it will be a sequel to Wind Waker), and Zelda GBA - GBA (no info. has been given for this other than it will be Link's first game for the GBA thats not a remake).

scruffziller
06-28-2003, 11:05 AM
I wonder if the Japanese version has the missing dungeons?

Hey don't forget that Link is in the GC version of Soul Caliber II.

evenflow
06-28-2003, 11:53 AM
I thought it was a great game. A little quick, but still awesome. I really hate the whole gameboy exclusive stuff though. It annoys me that if i really want to accomplish everything int he game i have to dish out more money. I refuse to do it.

Lord Malakite
07-02-2003, 06:59 AM
The Japanese version of Wind Waker has the same number of dungeons as the American version Scruff. I didn't count Soul Caliber II because it technically isn't a Zelda game, but you're right. Link is in the GCN version of the game.

I completed Master Quest with everything yesterday. Overall I was pretty satisfied. I only wished they made some reference in the ending that it was Master Quest and not the original OOT you completed. Like maybe the final scene where it says "The End". If they would have put the words "Master Quest" underneath "Ocarina of Time" I probably would have been 100% satisfied. If they went through the trouble to change the introduction, changing the ending by adding those two words shouldn't have been a problem.

I also completed the rest of Wind Waker yesterday too. I went out and got a GCN/GBA link cable so I could use the Tingle Tuner. :crazed: