PDA

View Full Version : List Your Top 10 Favorite DVD's!!!

Beast
07-12-2002, 01:51 AM
Alot of us here are huge DVD fans, and I figured I would ask what the Top 10 DVD's in your collection are. My list chages alot, but I wanted to see what your favorites were, before August 6th. Since I assume LOTR's will pop on most lists then. My choices are judged not only on my love of the movie, but also on how good the extra features are. :D
[list=1]
Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
Evil Dead: The Book of the Dead Edition
Re-Animator: Millenium Edition
Hellraiser / Hellbound: Hellraiser II Tin
Monty Python and the Holy Grail: SE
Rocky Horror Picture Show: SE
Legend: Ultimate Edition: DC
Chasing Amy: Criterion Collection
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: SE
Star Trek: The Motion Picture: DC
[/list=1]
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
07-12-2002, 02:01 AM
I haven't viewed alot of DVDs so mine is:

1. Episode 1
2. Independence Day
3. Jurassic Park
4. Sleepy Hollow
5. Jaws
6. Willow
7. The Mummy (Cut scenes are nice)
8. The Mummy Returns (Love outtakes)
9. How the Grinch stole Christmas (I like the story plus I like Jim Carrey [more or less] and plus it's got cut scenes and outtakes which I like)
10. JP2: The Lost World

I didn't have alot to choose from, but that's my list. :)

wedgeA
07-12-2002, 02:11 AM
Based on my love of the film and the DVD. However, this is not necessarily in strict order:

1) The Phantom Menace
2) T2 Ultimate Edition
3) Halloween 2 disc Limited Edition
4) Se7en: Platinum Series
5) Tomnstone Vista Series
6) Thirteen Days Infinifilm
7) Superman the Movie: Special Edition
8) Vertigo
9) The Usual Suspects: Special Edition
10) TIE- The Sixth Sense/Unbreakable Vista Series

Hey 100 posts!

DarthBrandon
07-12-2002, 06:51 AM
In no particular order:

The Phantom Menace
God Father Trilogy
Gladiator
Meet The Parents
The Usual Suspects
Heat
American Pie 2
Pearl Harbour
Lethal Weapon 4
Rush Hour

DeadEye
07-12-2002, 08:27 AM
-Star Wars Episode I (duh) :D
-The Matrix
-Black Hawk Down (I love the movie, although the special features are nothing to sneeze at)
-Die Hard 5-star Edition
-Gladiator
-Planet of the Apes (the new one)
-Saving Private Ryan
-Hard Boiled
-The Killer
-A Better Tomorrow 2

:)

Jar Jar, what are the deleted scenes in the Lost World DVD?

2-1B
07-12-2002, 10:30 AM
The Phantom Menace
This is Spinal Tap
Best in Show
The Godfather Collection
The Sopranos Season 1
The Sopranos Season 2
Aerosmith The Making of Pump
Alice Cooper Brutally Live
Deuce Bigalow Male Gigalo
Moulin Rouge

Jonna
07-12-2002, 11:17 AM
I don't have a lot of DVDs, but I completely agree with Jar Jar when he says Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace and Re-Animator: Millenium Edition.

robman71
07-12-2002, 11:35 AM
In no particular order:

The Phatom Menace
Evil Dead : Book of the Dead
Army of Darkness : Bootleg Directors Cut
The Crow
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Pearl Harbor
Highlander : Directors Cut
Clerks
The Fifth Element (Superbit Edition)
Spaceballs

Needles
07-12-2002, 12:19 PM
I have over 50 DVD's,there all good

1.Armageddon
2.The Patriot
3.Exit Wounds
4.Resevoir Dogs
5.Spaceballs
6.South Park:Winter Wonderland
7.The Silence of the lambs
8.Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back
9.Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon
10.Moonraker

Those are my favorites so far

jjreason
07-12-2002, 12:28 PM
Phantom Menace
Shrek
Jay and Bob Strike Back
Matrix
Black Hawk Down
X-Men
Traffic
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
American Beauty
Blade Runner

Wolfwood319
07-13-2002, 01:34 AM
Oh man, this is tough, but I'm going to play it safe;
In no particular order;

Fight Club (OK, this is the best)
T2: Ultimate Edition
Army of Darkness: SE (2-disc set)
Unbreakable
7: SE
Mallrats
Evil Dead: BOTD
Jaws: SE
Jurassic Park
Godfather Collection

Eternal Padawan
07-13-2002, 08:47 AM
Thank Goodness WolfWood mentioned FightClub! I was scrolling through everyone's lists and NOBODY mentioned the best two discs on the market. There's no possible way I could narrow my extensive DVD collection down to ten essential discs.

Some discs you've all mentioned that I agree with:

Jar Jar Binks
Monty Python and the Holy Grail SE ( I love the LEGO skit!)
Chasing Amy (All of Kev Smith discs ROCK!, I especially love the "DVDs suck!" comment he made on the commentary track back when it was a Laserdisc commentary track ;))
Star Trek Motion Picture DC. (Actually made watching the film bearable...)

LTBasker
ID4. Plenty of interesting goodies on that one. And the film is cheesy fun, too.
Jaws. Excellent documentary, even if it's only half of the original.

WedgeA
Se7en. I waited YEARS to get this SE. Especially since the original "flipper" disc sucked. Hey WB! Where's our Robin Hood POT SE?
Superman. What a fun and informative commentary track. And plenty of other goodies to boot. Too bad about the lawsuit.
The Usual Supects SE. Another good one that took forever to come out.

DeadEye
Godfather Trilogy. This one was worth the wait. FFC took the extra time to make a brilliant set.
Gladiator. The second disc is almost better than the film. I LOVE that documentary.

Caesar
Moulin Rouge! What a cool movie. Plenty of sweet extras too. I still haven't plowed through all of them.

robman71
Army of Darkness. I have the two disc Anchor's Bay limited edition set. Both versions of the film. Beautiful extras. Why do they need to keep making different versions when this one rocked so hard I flipped out and...

Needles
Silence of the Lambs. I've got the Criterion version. Actually anything from Criterion is really well done. They do SE of films that noone else cares about. And they do them well.

jjreason
Matrix. Nice disc. Started the "Chase the white rabbit" craze of watching interesting little behind the scenes as the movie plays. Too bad about that gimmicky second disc promotion. I'm sure we'll get more of the same when Matrix II and III come out.
X-Men. Another clever disc with plenty of hidden goodies. I especially like Spidey's cameo ;)

Wolfwood
T2:SE Wow! What a Disc! Hours of DVD fun. Everything except a commentary (sigh).

FIGHT CLUB. THE BEST DVD ON THE MARKET. GO AND BUY IT RIGHT NOW.

Other discs nobody mentioned yet.
The 007 films. Good movies. Great discs.
Fox' 5-star sets. Sound of Music, Die Hard, etc...
CastAway. It's amazing what you can do with CGI when you DON'T want anyone to know you're using it. Again, this is another film where the second disc is almost more fascinating than the actual feature.
Pixar's films. Bug's Life and the ToyStory Toybox collection. Wow. The same goes for Disney's double disc endeavors. Tarzan, Snow White, Atlantis, Dinosaur etc. Very thorough explorations of the films.
Alien. I love the Easter Egg crew bios.
Citizen Kane.
Bridge on The River Kwai.
Shakespeare in Love.

I could go on and on and on...there are simply too many brilliant discs out there to choose from...but remember:

FIGHT CLUB.

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 08:53 AM
1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail: SE
2. Monty Python and the Life of Brian: Criterion Collection
3. The Princess Bride: SE
4. Gladiator
5. Dark City
6. Star Wars Ep. 1
7. Robotech (the entire series)
8. Spinal Tap: Criterion Collection
9. Saving Private Ryan
10. Simpsons Season 1 (patiently waiting for #2)

morecow299
07-13-2002, 11:41 PM
1)T2
2)Matrix
3)Billy Madison
4)Happy Gilmore
5)Die Hard
6)Spaceballs
7)Ferris' day off
8)Simpsons Season 1
9)Airheads
10)Young Frankenstein

these are in no exact order and jj how can you think crouching tiger hidden dragon was good. that movie was horribe!!!

Eternal Padawan
07-14-2002, 08:23 AM
Crouching Tiger was indeed a horrible cinematic experience. But this is a thread about DVDs. Sometimes the extras on a DVD can make up for the movie being tripe.

Sort of like Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison on your list. Of course, there are no extras on those discs AND the movies were horrible...

JON9000
07-14-2002, 08:26 PM
1. Star Wars EpI: The Phantom Menace
2. Lawrence of Arabia- looks AMAZING!
3. A Clockwork Orange- it was like seeing it for the first time!
4. The Black Hole
5. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon- love it in english!
6. Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Edition
7. For Your Eyes Only: Special Edition

Crouching Tiger was awesome! On a side note- I hate DVD's that are not in 5.1 when they should be- Flash Gordon and my version of Silence of the Lambs. Image Entertainment SUCKS!!!
8. The Matrix
9. T2- Judgment Day- being able to choose extended vs. regular versions!
10. Superman: the movie

Jacen Solo
07-17-2002, 08:31 PM
1.)The Usual Suspects
2.)The Matrix
3.)Kalifornia
4.)Evolution
5.)Hackers
6.)Stigmata
7.)Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
8.)Lost Souls
9.)Red Planet
10.)House on Haunted Hill

Lobito
07-30-2002, 03:27 PM
1.- Tombstone (Edition with deleted Scenes)
2.- Terminator
3.- EP 1
4.- Brave Heart
5.- Fight Club
6.- Superman (all the 5 movies set)
7.- X-Men
8.- Top Gun
9.- Brave Heart
10.- MIB

Master Goeweins
07-30-2002, 10:17 PM
well....

1. Episode 1
2. Memento Special Edition (Extras are amazing, and it has one of the coolest easter eggs ever! It plays the movie in chronological order, even though the original timeine is better.)
3. Mallrats (The commentary with the cast is even funnier than the movie.)
4. The Nightmare Before Christmas
5. Rushmore Criterion Edition
6. Krull Collector's Edition (who didn't love this movie as a kid?)
7. Bufft the Vampire Slayer Season 2
8. The Godfather Trilogy
9. The Royal Tenenbaums
10. Snow White Collector's Edition (A true example how a fan can be rewarded.)

These are all out of order, cause tomorrow I will change my mind. And can I say the the 4 Disc LOTR DVDS will change everything, even before they come out?

Pendo
07-31-2002, 10:38 AM
My list, and in no particular order, is:

1. Episode I
2. T2: Ultimate Edition
3. ID4
4. The Matrix (2 disk set including Revisited)
5. The Best of So Graham Norton
6. Gladiator
7. Jurassic Park trillogy
8. Spaceballs
9. Die Hard
10.RESERVED FOR LOTR

PENDO!

Mandalorian Candidat
07-31-2002, 10:56 AM
I too only have about 20 DVDs so I'll just rate my top seven. My rating will be on the quality of the DVD in terms of quality and quantity of extras, technical specs, how cool the different screens/menus look, and overall ease of navigation. I'm not rating them by the actual quality of the movie.

1) Episode One - Simply the best DVD set I've ever seen. Beautifully done with great features and kick-A looking menus. I hope it's only topped by EP2 and LOTR.
2) Matrix - Great options for all the behind-the-scenes viewing.
3) Planet of the Apes (2001) - A lot of stuff just jammed into the set. The multi-view scene selection is a novel idea. Too bad the movie wasn't that great.
4) Mummy (Ultimate set) - Watching this movie on my set is so awesome. It sounds and looks so good. Plus it also has tons of extra features and 3-movie commentary tracks.
5) Nightmare Before Christmas - Not as many extras as these others, but we get to see a lot of TB's earlier work.
6) X-Men - What I really like about this disc is that you can insert the deleted scenes back into the movie for full continuity. Plenty of production extras plus Hugh Jackman's screen test.
7) Close Encounters - They included tons of deleted scenes that help to sort out some of the earlier movie scenes, i.e., why Roy gets fired, how Bob Balaban gets hooked up with Lacombe. What this movie glaringly lacks is director commentary by Spielberg. How could Columbia let this happen?

I've also seen the Godfather boxed set (my dad got it for XMas last year) and it also is a great compilation. I would include it in my list if I owned it.

Beast
07-31-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
7) Close Encounters - They included tons of deleted scenes that help to sort out some of the earlier movie scenes, i.e., why Roy gets fired, how Bob Balaban gets hooked up with Lacombe. What this movie glaringly lacks is director commentary by Spielberg. How could Columbia let this happen?
MC, Spielburg dispises Audio Commentary. He won't do it for any of his films, because he believes it hurts the magic of moviemaking if you have a director sitting there and talking about how the picture was made. He does make up for it with the in depth interviews that are extras on most of his LD's and DVD's. Sadly the Jaws and Close Encouunters interviews are shorter then they were, when they originally appeared on the LD's. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
07-31-2002, 11:49 AM
I agree. As long as he showers us with tons of insider goodies about how and why he shot his films, I don't care if it's a disembodied voice running over the film or not. I've gotten more out a film watching five minutes of Spielberg interview, than a two and a half hour commentary on other films. Some directors BLOW at doing commentary.

ROLLO!

Beast
07-31-2002, 11:59 AM
Amen, EP. Some directors couldnt comment their way out of a paper bag. I do like Kevin Smith's audio commentaries though, because everyone is such close friends, they just enjoy talking and watching the movie. One of the worst people on Audio Commentaries is Arnold Schwarzennegger. I can't believe he got paid $750,000 for the commentary on the Total Recall disc. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
08-01-2002, 10:48 AM
Blow or not, it would be nice to hear Spielberg's take on what was happening here or there behind the scenes or how they did a certain shot technically. It wouldn't ruin anything for me at all. How long has movies like ET, CEOTTK, and Jaws been out? We've had plenty of time to muse over their innerworkings. Now let's hear what went into making each scene.

Beast
08-01-2002, 10:51 AM
I'd love to hear an Audio Commentary from him also Mandalorian, but unless he changes his opinion of them, it's never going to happen. Atleast he makes up for it with with good extra features on most of his discs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
08-01-2002, 01:47 PM
So is it the directors now who are dictating what goes on their DVDs or the studio's call? I imagine someone like Spielberg has wide latitude but the average joe probably has to deal more with the whims of the studio and/or distributor.