PDA

View Full Version : What's your approach?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-12-2002, 01:55 AM
What's your take on the following:

1. Would you buy a HTF figure reguardless of price?
2. Would you buy a figure because of sale price, reguardless of what figure?
3. Would you buy a figure just for the heck of it?

LTBasker
07-12-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter

1. If I needed it or knew someone else who needed it and could trade it for something I need.
2. If it was an army-builder that I needed more of.
3. If I was in the mood of getting another figure that night and it was an army-builder I most likely would.

JON9000
07-12-2002, 02:04 AM
I would not get a hard to find figure regardless of price. There is only so much I am willing to pay. Besides, things usually turn up in the Fan Club or eventually in stores.

I bought a EpI chancellor Palpatine for a dollar- so I guess that's a yes.

I buy figures for the heck of it all the time.

patchiswelsh
07-12-2002, 02:48 AM
For the heck o it.

Jango Mango
07-12-2002, 09:20 AM
NO, I would not buy a hard to find figure regardless of price ! I
would only buy a figure for the regular retail price, no more.

NO, I would not buy just any figure just because it's on sale !

YES, I would buy some figures just for the heck of it, only if it
interests me, plus it's fun to get something different once in a
while just for the heck of it !

:Pirate:

Jonna
07-12-2002, 09:32 AM

Absolutely not! If I can't find it for $5, current figures in the stores of course, then I'll just wait. I have money, but none to waste.

Yes, but only for army building purposes. I don't buy several of the same figure normally, but if I saw something like Clonetroopers for $2, I would get a bunch of them.

Hmmmmm.....Why would I spend money on something that I don't really want?

aikman
07-12-2002, 10:19 AM
No way, anyone can have a complete set if money is no object, whats the fun in that?

If I really wanted the fig Id pay 2-3 bucks more than retail but no more.

Well, kinda. It all depends on the figure and how cheap they are. I got a bunch at the TRU 1.97 blowout. But Ive seen figures for 2.99 and passed. If I ever saw them for a buck I would clean em out...

Ive done it, usually when I havent seen anything new for a while I get something to satisfy my habit ;)

thespar
07-12-2002, 01:17 PM
1) the answer to 1 a i did one once.
2) only if it i figure i need
3) no

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 01:31 PM

1. Nope. If there was a figure that I have REALLY been looking forward to and it wound up getting a limited release, I might pay extra. Example : I wanted the EU line BAAAAD! But I never found them at retail so I wound up paying quite a bit on Ebay to get them. But they were worth it.

But I haven't bought a Jorge Sacul because I simply don't think he's worth it and I don't want to give a scalper the satisfaction. When the Saculs are selling for about $25-30 6 months from now I will consider buying.:)

2. Not any figure but I customize a lot so if I can see any part of the figure I might be able to use, and he's on sale I usually buy him. But otherwise I'll let it be.

3. Not really. I used to buy two of ever figure but I realized eventually that most of the "scene filler' aliens would be opened, looked at for a few seconds, and then forgotten about. I stopped buying those and concentrated on the figures I really wanted, like Jedi and pretty much any human figures.

MikeAndTheBots
07-12-2002, 02:23 PM
1. If it's in retail I won't pay more than retail.
2. No, I buy the figures I like and that I want only. I don't have the money to waste on stuff I don't want. Except, for amry builders but I'm waiting until they drop to clearence prices.
3. No, all the figures I buy are becaue I like/want them.

jdmarlow
07-12-2002, 07:33 PM

1. Variations DO matter...and I will put out more than your regular $4.99 for one. I have paid as much as $500 for one figure. It's a lot, yes, and I know that. But it only happened once. Everybody here is going to have a field day with that one.

2. Some times it is fun to just buy figures if you don't need them. Back in 1998 when figures from Toys "R" Us were $0.99, I bought 13 freeze frames for a little under $14. Good for custom making. But overall just a fun stint.

3. This one falls under #2 a little bit, IMO.

fourtwo
07-12-2002, 08:06 PM
1: depends what it was and how much. i'm not gonna pay out the bum to get that variant of yoda painted blue or something like that
2: probably yes
3: again, probably yes. isn;t that how we all buy figures? just for the heck of it? i don;t have any higher power saying "buy the toys chris..." in a obi wan-esque manner.

Jedi Juice
07-14-2002, 12:26 AM
If I cannot find a certain figure anywhere, and I mean after I exhaust all possibilities, I will resort to paying the premium for a figure. But luckily I haven't had to do that yet.

morecow299
07-14-2002, 12:31 AM
i buy figure that i like and if they are new i will only spend a few dollars over retail and it matters how much i would spend on an older figure. mostly how badly i want it

aharry
07-14-2002, 08:46 AM
1) No. I try to shop around as much as possible before stooping to pay a bit more for a figure. Fortunately, I have been able to avoid paying more than $20 for any figure I have, which is not bad considering I never saw Expanded Universe figures and some of the rarer EP 1 figures on the shelf anywhere. The highest I can think of paying for a figure off the top of my head was Ree-Yees for around $17 not too long after Hasbro stopped shipping them out to retail stores.
2) Only if i didn't have it or it was an army builder. I collect one carded/one open, but I have passed on buying one to open for some of the figures, such as Swimming JarJar. I didn't nor couldn't think of use to have this one open.
3) See answer to question #2. I did just pass up a Mace w/ Red Droid, but came close to buying that because of the droid. But I think one of the accessory packs are coming with a red droid, at least I believe that is what I saw in the picture. If worse comes to worse, I'll paint one red if I want one bad enough. But I know for sure I didn't need another Mace.

stillakid
07-14-2002, 09:39 AM

1. When I have money for it and I don't think it will be readily available later on. Otherwise I'll wait (ie. Qui Gonn with Eopie).

2. Just because it's on sale? I want at least one (to open) of every figure but I don't just pick up extra's of non-army builders just because they're cheaper. That wouldn't make much sense.

3. Kind of covered by #2. I don't care about errors or variations so that doesn't matter. I open just about everything, though there are "specially" packaged figures that have more "meaning" when left unopened, so I might buy two in that case. But that's a rare occurance.