PDA

View Full Version : Can any Car Experts answer a question?

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 03:38 PM
I need some help from somebody who knows more about cars than I do, specifically 60's sports cars.

My dad just finished a garage at his office to keep several of his cars in and he wants to pay someone someone to come out on a regular basis and do some basic maintenance on them and make sure they run when he wants to drive them.

I told him that I'd rather he let me do that and then he wouldn't have to pay anyone, and I would get to drive them on a regular basis. The problem is, I'm not that familiar with the cars mechanics.

So I was basically wondering if anyone here has experience working on classic cars and if it would be very difficult for me to learn somewhat fast. The ones I would be working on are:

-68' Shelby Mustang GT350 Fastback
- 2 65' Shelby Mustang GT350 convertibles
-64' 289 Shelby Cobra
& a -65' 427 Shelby Cobra

I really want to figure out if I can do this so any help here would be awesome! Thanks:)

DarthBrandon
07-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Cars are like anything else pthfnder89, riding a bike, computers etc., once you learn you will never forget. I suggest you take an automotive course A.S.A.P., that will help you better than anything else, and like anything else, it won't be easy the first time around. After the course you should be able to take them apart and build them from the ground up.

P.S. Those are some kick-A** cars bro. Will he be looking for the 67 Mustage Shelby GT 500 anytime soon ? That's like my all time favorite next to the 68' Shelby Mustang GT350 Fastback.
Nice Rides.

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 03:56 PM
Thanks Brandon. That's pretty much what I figured. I've thought about taking a class but I just don't have the time at the moment. Hopefully in the fall though.

I don't think he's looking for anymore right now. He can't even keep all these running which is why he's hiring somebody to do regular maintenance.

The last one he got was the 68' Fastback and it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I was in L.A. this Spring though and visited my grandfathers wharehouse and he had a GT500 there. It was pretty slick, but I prefer the body style of the GT350s.

DarthBrandon
07-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
Thanks Brandon. That's pretty much what I figured. I've thought about taking a class but I just don't have the time at the moment. Hopefully in the fall though.

I don't think he's looking for anymore right now. He can't even keep all these running which is why he's hiring somebody to do regular maintenance.

The last one he got was the 68' Fastback and it's a hell of a lot of fun to drive. I was in L.A. this Spring though and visited my grandfathers wharehouse and he had a GT500 there. It was pretty slick, but I prefer the body style of the GT350s.

Good then it's decided a course it will be in the future, good for you pthfnder89.

You really prefer the body of the GT350s over the GT500's ? I really don't find a huge difference in the body styles of those cars, must be me though.

Do you have any picks of them ?

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by brandon
You really prefer the body of the GT350s over the GT500's ? I really don't find a huge difference in the body styles of those cars, must be me though.

Do you have any picks of them ?

Well I'm probably a little biased. I've driven my dad's GT350s and they're a blast. But I've only gotten to look at the couple of GT500s that my grandfather has. It's defeinitely not that I dislike the GT500 though; it's a kickass car.

I think one of my alltime favorites the Cobra Daytona Coupe. I saw my very first one when I was at my grandfathers wharehouse and I wanted to take it for a spin sooooo bad:D *drools*

DarthBrandon
07-12-2002, 04:13 PM
How many does your grandfather have ? And does he have any old body frames ( shells ) kicking around ? The CDC is a cool looking car as well my friend, you sure get to see alot of nice classic sport cars.

Jedi Knightrider
07-12-2002, 04:22 PM
you should check out the "idiot's guide to total car care" don't let the name fool you, there's info for those that AREN'T idiots, too!

Also, check to see who publishes a shop manual, or service manual for those models. you might find one volume on all of them they're so close together in model years!

My all time favorite 'stang is the 1970 BOSS 429!!!

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 04:24 PM
How many does your grandfather have ? And does he have any old body frames ( shells ) kicking around ? The CDC is a cool looking car as well my friend, you sure get to see alot of nice classic sport cars.

I'm not sure how many he actually owns but several of them are loaned out to car museums. But the reason he has all these is because he created them. He used to race on the international circuits in the 50's and in the 1960's he built the Cobras and designed the Mustangs for Ford.

I'm sure he might have some shells but he's probably using most of them. He does a lot of personal car projects for fun

That's also why my dad has the ones he has too.:)

DarthBrandon
07-12-2002, 05:36 PM

I'm not sure how many he actually owns but several of them are loaned out to car museums. But the reason he has all these is because he created them. He used to race on the international circuits in the 50's and in the 1960's he built the Cobras and designed the Mustangs for Ford.

I'm sure he might have some shells but he's probably using most of them. He does a lot of personal car projects for fun

That's also why my dad has the ones he has too.:)

Well your one lucky S.O.B. then. Good for you.

pthfnder89
07-12-2002, 05:46 PM

Well your one lucky S.O.B. then. Good for you.

Hehe, thanks. But it's actually kind of awkward sometimes since, as you can tell, I'm not all that knowledgable about automobiles.

When I tell car buffs that my grandpa is Carroll Shelby the first two questions I get asked are:
1. Wow, so do you drive a Cobra?
2. You must know a ton of stuff about cars huh?

At which point I get to tell them that "No, I drive a Volkswagen and I'm an idiot who barely knows how to change my oil." :frus:

DarthBrandon
07-12-2002, 09:07 PM
LOL, I woudn't worry about it too much. Think of it this way your blessed to have a legend in the family and blessed that most likely those cars will be your someday. You may also be blessed if you learn your autoshop skills too. Anyways you've been blessed enough today.T.C.

Jedi Knightrider
07-13-2002, 01:39 AM

When I tell car buffs that my grandpa is Carroll Shelby the first two questions I get asked are:

I only have one question:

WHAT?????

really, are you pulling our collective leg, or is this true? I just can't fathom this! W:crazed: W!

As for the VW, you shoulda held out for the W8 engine! 271 hp! That's as much power at the flywheel as my Caprice Police package! It's a lighter car, too, and that means more power to the rear wheels!

Emperor Howdy
07-13-2002, 03:08 AM
Shelby-shmelby. You might as well prance around in panties if you're gonna drive one of those. However.......the 1977 Pontiac Trans Am......well, now THERE'S a ride. :evil:

pthfnder89
07-13-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
Shelby-shmelby. You might as well prance around in panties if you're gonna drive one of those. However.......the 1977 Pontiac Trans Am......well, now THERE'S a ride. :evil:

Whatchu talkin 'bout Emperor Howdy? ....Making fun of my name; now them's fightin' words! :mad: :p

*pelts the ignorant Howdy with $1 clearance Palpatine figures*

JediTricks
07-16-2002, 08:56 PM
'77 Trans Am, I think my aunt had one of those, the car was kinda fat and rounded and sluggish and turned into mulch when my grandfather got in an accident in it.

pthfnder89, that's some killer family history! One good thing about cars from that era is that they're not bogged down in computerization, so it's almost all mechanical knowledge. Oh, and how's the chili, is it as good as everybody says? :D

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks

pthfnder89, that's some killer family history! One good thing about cars from that era is that they're not bogged down in computerization, so it's almost all mechanical knowledge. Oh, and how's the chili, is it as good as everybody says? :D

Yup, it's very good, although really I haven't bought any from the stores in a while. He sold the company way back in the late 80's or early 90's but I don't think they changed the recipe. Anyway, my dad and I usually make it from scratch.:)

Brandon, I wanted to thank you and JediKnightridder for all your help. I've actually enlisted my dad finally to teach me a bit; the only reason I didn't do that to begin iwth was he's very busy so he didn't have the time until recently.

Like JediTricks said the best thing about old cars is you don't have to fuddle with any computers, which thankfully makes them much less complicated. It's not like I can do much improvement to my 2000 VW without any engineering degree and some extremely expensive equipment.:D

DarthBrandon
07-22-2002, 03:12 PM
Good luck in your Automotive training pthfnder89, hope you do well and all the best in the future.