PDA

View Full Version : Playskool's The Stompin' Wampa

2-1B
07-13-2002, 04:12 AM
I was sold on this set the minute I saw a pic of that cute little Tauntaun. :D
Have these been available at Wal-Mart for awhile? I never thought to check their preschool section. :(
Anyway, I paid $7.99 at KayBee/ToyWorks, I'm guessing it's a bit high but that doesn't concern me, since it's worth $8 anyway.

The set includes 4 pieces:

Han Solo in Hoth gear. Non-articulated, he is molded in the typical Playskool style - arms and (big)feet outstretched.
Han's blaster is here, a permanent part of his left hand. Great paint job overall, especially impressive is the job Hasbro did on the eyes and eyebrows. Nice job of painting the end of the barrell as well. This piece is designed to, and fits quite nicely, on the

Tauntaun. This piece is virtually non-articulated, though it appears otherwise. The front and back legs look moveable, but looking closely I see the glue that was used to attach the limbs. The head is somewhat similar, although there is a little "give" to it. But you can not permanently change it's position.

Luke Skywalker in Hoth Gear has the advantage over Han since he has one point of articulation. His right hand includes a permanent lightsaber, but it is articulated at the wrist. He looks neat when I pose him with his saber diagonally in front of his face.
The paint is just as good as what I said about Han, I'm glad both characters show the same standard.
Luke's scarf is molded in a flowing pose, it gives the impression that he has just leapt into battle.
While the right hand is articulated, the left hand is permanent. It's fixed in a "force push" style, and the hand contains a magnet which is for use on the titular

Wampa figure. By holding Luke's hand to the Wampa's abdomen, the magnetics force a new set of dazed and confused eyes to cover the regular eyes. Plenty of strength, so the gimmick works fine. The same effect can be achieved by holding the Wampa upside down.
Concerning his fur, they didn't hold off on the yellowish/creme paint against the white plastic. No sloppiness in that regard, and the gray tusks and yellow teeth are also nicely painted. The left arm has basic articulation, and the Wampa's fist clenches a bone. The right arm features a side slapping gimmick, pull it back and it snaps back. It's been working pretty efficiently, and the arm can be easily manipulated to stay in a cocked position.
The Luke figure also fits on the Wampa, so with a little imagination kids can reenact the Wampa's surprise attack.

I like the story synopsis on the back of the card:

While patrolling the ice planet Hoth on a gentle tauntaun, Luke Skywalker is captured by a nasty wampa who is stompin' mad. But our hero Luke is soon joined by his friend Han Solo, and together they force the wampa to cool it!

Master Goeweins
07-24-2002, 10:21 PM
I bought all four of the Playskool sets, and this was the first one that I opened! It is AWESOME! Man these things just flatout rock! Han on his Tauntaun is my favorite piece in my collection now.

AdmiralPiett
07-25-2002, 05:18 AM
I can only find the Naboo one. I can't find the Hoth one anywhere.
Caesar, you got 'em for $8? Wow, I've never seen them (or it, the Naboo one) below $12.99. Nice find!
Piett

2-1B
07-25-2002, 05:23 AM
Yep, 8 bones! And the Endor Speeder set was also available. :)

I should clarify that the Wampa's eyes do not actually "slide" over another set, rather it "rolls" over from one set to the next.
Thanks to JediTricks for pointing that out to me. :)

Goeweins,
the Tauntaun is the featured piece in my collection right now! :D

AdmiralPiett
07-25-2002, 05:25 AM
I know they've released these at KB and you say you've got yours at Wal-Mart. Have you seen them anywhere else?
Piett

Beast
07-25-2002, 05:28 AM
I've seen them at K-Mart's also, AdmiralPiett. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AdmiralPiett
07-25-2002, 05:36 AM
I really do have to start making it to the preschool aisle more often. The only place where I've ever checked the preschool aisle for these things is TRU and KB. Thanks for the info guys!
Piett

2-1B
07-25-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by AdmiralPiett
I know they've released these at KB and you say you've got yours at Wal-Mart. Have you seen them anywhere else?
Piett

No, I actually found this at KB. :)

The only time I've seen Playskool at WM was 4/23, they had the X-Wing and Naboo fighter sets . . . . once they sold out, they never came back. :(

That bugs me, because I always check WM's preschool section but they have nothing. I really want the new Falcon set, but may have a bit of a trek to get it . . . KB isn't that close to me. :D

K-Mart? Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try them too . . . :)