PDA

View Full Version : Does this GIRL keep popping up in a new browser window?

Tycho
07-13-2002, 08:17 AM
I did a little photo editing to help her out with some reading material.

If she wants to be evil and pop-up on our window screens, might as well send her back to her advertising company with a little hint about how I feel about it ;)

(though I do think she's WAaaaaaayYY Attractive! :kiss: )

Tycho
07-13-2002, 08:19 AM
In case you can't see what she's reading, here's a larger picture to help you out. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=127519)

DeadEye
07-13-2002, 08:24 AM
Tycho,

Is that a real book or is it a running joke of some kind?

And that girl pops up every time I check email.

Tycho
07-13-2002, 08:42 AM
I think it is a real book. I photo-shopped the by-lines so that it looks like I wrote it.

I had been in the Pledge of Allegiance debate and in the now-closed Jesus Loves You thread and had seen a lot of religion as hypocracy. In the extreme opposite of what good God-fearing Christians believe, etc. I wondered what Satanists believe. In trying to research that, I think I found that book - possibly sold at Amazon.com.

I never had time to finish what Satanists believe in, but I'll get around to it.

It's silly really. While it may be fun to shock people, or a way to protest what's been done in the name of God and country (so to speak) I really don't believe Satan exists and there's a Hell for your afterlife, etc.

But supposing there was, how do you make a religion out of that one? Then again, I made one out of the Mouse Droid Sniffing Cult, so...

But if you're interested in seeing if that's a real book, try getting it on Amazon. Let me know if you find it and how much it costs. And is a sheep or goat included, or is that only with extra shipping costs? ;)

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Why is it that the people trying to sell religion door to door never look like that?

DeadEye
07-13-2002, 09:02 AM
I know, right? Maybe then they'd make a sale! :p

Tycho
07-13-2002, 09:48 AM
OK, it answered one question though: this girl is from an advertiser paying ActionOnline, owner of SirStevesGuide.com.

It's an ad we're all getting, unwanted, and it's popping up whenever we're online (multiple times, too).

So the one site we've all visited in common is undoubtedly, SirSteve's.

K.

It's not like I don't like looking at this chic, she's totally my type. But I'm online and appreciating what's convenient about our forums here. Not controlling pop-up windows.

Oh well, they pay for the site I guess...:rolleyes:

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 10:34 AM
I haven't seen that pop-up yet, does it show when visiting the SirSteve's home page or the forums? just curious.

2-1B
07-13-2002, 10:37 AM
Curious, I'll have to give the pop ups a chance :D - I usually delete them immediately.

Tycho
07-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
I haven't seen that pop-up yet, does it show when visiting the SirSteve's home page or the forums? just curious.

I don't know. I think some of the sites I visit (and they're pretty much only Star Wars ones) have put programs running on my computer that call to them (advertisers) or whatever.

When I cont-alt-delete and it lists what's running, there's a lot of unnecessary stuff that shouldn't be running and it was slowing down my computer and causing errors.

Oh - it could relate to somethings from using MusicMatch.

Jedi Knightrider
07-13-2002, 11:36 AM
I haven't gotten that pop-up yet. The only one i get from the main page is the one for master replicas - hmmmm. Curious. I like the skirt, though. rrrrrrraaarrr!

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 11:47 AM
Tycho, sounds like it's time to clean out your computer.

Forhekset
07-13-2002, 11:53 AM
Just use WebWasher to kill the popups, and Ad-Aware to clean out the advertising programs that get surreptitiously installed.

Jedi Knightrider
07-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Tycho, what manufacturer made your computer? If it's a name brand, most likely all the stuff running are programs that they put on there to "help" you. When I rebluilt my 'puter, I finally got rid of all those startup programs that plagued my existence and my taskbar! If you use some sort of filesharing system, they probably put some spyware/adware on your 'puter.

Exhaust Port
07-13-2002, 01:27 PM
Isn't the internet a wonderful thing at times? :rolleyes:

LTBasker
07-13-2002, 06:41 PM
I never get popups on here? Weird... Definitely not jealous though. :D

Tycho
07-14-2002, 04:08 AM
I have a Dell system. MusicMatch is a Dell internet radio / jukebox / CD creator system that comes standard on Dells with CD writing capability. That's possibly one source - MM automatically scans what's in my CD player and offers me radio stations etc. that play whatever sort of music is in my drive (for the most part).

I also got stuff with my scanner, and even the Official Site has pop-ups and regular advertisers.

BASKER: the only thing I can guess, is that you have somehow set preferences to not allow pop-ups. Or somebody using your computer did. Boy would that be nice...:rolleyes:

Jargo
07-14-2002, 08:45 AM
Depends on whether or not your PC is java enabled. If not then java doesn't work and you don't get pop ups. but those ones at the official site are so annoying, it takes forever to suss out where the close button is and by then it's been shreiking it's ad at you all the tiome in flashing garish headache inducing fashion!!!!! Worst kind of pop up is the full screen one. If you have a small monitor set at say 800x648 res, and the pop up fullscreens at 1024x768 you lose the facility to close because there usually isn't a scrollbar and no close button at the top and the button to close is at the bottom of the pop up. Only way to close it is to try Ctrl+Alt+Del and end task. But it's such a performance just to get rid of an unwanted advert.

Actually, I always wondered why the picture archive image pop ups here don't have scrollbars at the side. If you have a small monitor you can't actually see half the images without saving them to your hard drive. wouldn't it be easier with side scrollbars? It can't be that difficult to add them for people who have smaller monitors. Just a thought, that's all.

stillakid
07-14-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
I have a Dell system. MusicMatch is a Dell internet radio / jukebox / CD creator system that comes standard on Dells with CD writing capability. That's possibly one source - MM automatically scans what's in my CD player and offers me radio stations etc. that play whatever sort of music is in my drive (for the most part).

I also got stuff with my scanner, and even the Official Site has pop-ups and regular advertisers.

BASKER: the only thing I can guess, is that you have somehow set preferences to not allow pop-ups. Or somebody using your computer did. Boy would that be nice...:rolleyes:

Hmm. I don't have any pop up killers or anything and don't get anything except that Master Replica's ad, but only when I go to the home page.

I like to use this site: https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to check for hackers. Also go here: http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,4148,23,00.asp for some free utilities that might clean up the problem.

Jedi Juice
07-14-2002, 02:48 PM
I don't think that girl is really a pop-up! It's another one of Tycho's tricks!

Forhekset
07-14-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Depends on whether or not your PC is java enabled. If not then java doesn't work and you don't get pop ups. but those ones at the official site are so annoying, it takes forever to suss out where the close button is and by then it's been shreiking it's ad at you all the tiome in flashing garish headache inducing fashion!!!!! Worst kind of pop up is the full screen one. If you have a small monitor set at say 800x648 res, and the pop up fullscreens at 1024x768 you lose the facility to close because there usually isn't a scrollbar and no close button at the top and the button to close is at the bottom of the pop up. Only way to close it is to try Ctrl+Alt+Del and end task. But it's such a performance just to get rid of an unwanted advert.

Actually, I always wondered why the picture archive image pop ups here don't have scrollbars at the side. If you have a small monitor you can't actually see half the images without saving them to your hard drive. wouldn't it be easier with side scrollbars? It can't be that difficult to add them for people who have smaller monitors. Just a thought, that's all.

Pop-ups are bad, and pop-unders are worse, but I think the most irritating, intrusive ads yet are those awful Flash advertisements that appear to be "interacting" with the page you're reading. The official SW site has had a few up at one time or another. I remember one Flash ad for that Three Musketeers movie that was a sword ripping through the webpage (and at the same time, making it impossible to read the text you were just looking at, of course) and making a horribly loud CLANG BLANG SWISH! swashbuckling sound effect. Thanks to WebWasher though, I hardly see any ads on the net at all nowadays, pop-up or otherwise.

Jedi Knightrider
07-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Forhekset

Pop-ups are bad, and pop-unders are worse, but I think the most irritating, intrusive ads yet are those awful Flash advertisements that appear to be "interacting" with the page you're reading. The official SW site has had a few up at one time or another. I remember one Flash ad for that Three Musketeers movie that was a sword ripping through the webpage (and at the same time, making it impossible to read the text you were just looking at, of course) and making a horribly loud CLANG BLANG SWISH! swashbuckling sound effect. Thanks to WebWasher though, I hardly see any ads on the net at all nowadays, pop-up or otherwise.

YEAH!!! that really annoyed me as well. I didn't see the musketeers one, but any of those things, that pop over the page that you're viewing and can't close until it's done loading are immensely stupid! definitely NOT the way to go. i couldn't believe the first time i saw one of those on starwars.com!!!

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
When I cont-alt-delete

Also referred to as the "Three Finger Salute" :D :crazed:

And I haven't seen these pop - ups yet either. However, I get some weird, kinda cool japanese animation pop-ups when I visit starwars.com??? I've been on the internet when 96 BAUD modems were the THANG and I can't BELIEVE that advertising made it here....I always thought back then that the internet would just always kinda be for us "supercooldorkies" who like starwars, video games and sci-fi. DagNabbit, pretty soon we are going to be up in the mountains or out in the middle of the desert just hangin' and WHAMMO, we'll get hit by a "fly-by advertising!" Stoopid companies, stoopid capitalism (sometimes)! :mad: