PDA

View Full Version : What will you do when its over??? Warning very long.

Nebulaz
07-13-2002, 03:40 PM
There are thousands of members at sirsteves forums. Each of us have our own memories and imaginations about the past movies and what we want to come in the ending episode. We gather here to express our likes and dislikes of everything that revolves around george lucas and his creation. We live and breathe here. We spend our times posting threads of knowledge and devotion, loyal to a universe that doesnt exist. Our money is spent investing into collections of vast and grand enormities. We raze the stores searching and contemplating our next figure and where it'll be purchased. As a whole, we make up a community. A community that shares a common purpose just like anyother community. But ours is special. While we are diverse and multicutural, we dont ridicual or discriminate. Here is an open and maturing forum, where opinions are held in high esteem, and are understood, not rejected. We here hold titles of Jedi, bounty hunter, Sith...we hold true to the values that Star Wars has taught us. Yet if you look at each one of us, and our screen names, they define us, our personality is developed here. But as this morning comes to an end, we must face the facts. We must realize that this epic that we strive to understand and learn about is coming to its conclusion. Over the past 25 years, George Lucas has been living and conjuring his dreams, and within the past 6 years, Rick McCallum has been assisting him with it. And what a dream its been. But again, all dreams come to and end, and in 3 years, in May of 2005 we will have our one last film to critique. One last film to share the words "LucasFilms" and the words "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away..." while holding the same meaning. We will have one last time to applaud as a crowd of fanatics, waving out toy lightsabers and cheering each wild moment we view on screen. And with the films final moment, everyday that we've pondered, will stand corrected, and everything will finally come together. The last piece of the puzzle, and then nothing. We'll be complete. Complete but empty, expecting more, but with no more food on the plate. Alone. Is there life thereafter? How long can the expanded universe be the glue holding us together? What can we expect from something so concrete, when it just disappears?

Jeremy

bigbarada
07-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Once Ep3 comes out, then I will pick up the cool figure here and there, just like now. I will by no means be a fanatic collector or completist, just like now. Once the toy line fades and dies, then I will simply move on. Star Wars is not the only thing in my life and it is definitely not the most important thing.

EU has yet to hold my interest and I don't see that changing after Ep3. So, when the credits roll in May 2005 and the last action figures fade from the pegs, I will simply close this chapter in my life. I did it before, in 1986, and I will do it again.

derek
07-13-2002, 04:14 PM
after the films are done, hasbro will probably not renew their license agreement with lucasfilm. this will free up the line to be picked up at a reasonalbe price by other companies who will hopefully cater to the collecting community, like blue box and sideshow and dragon have done with their 12 inch figures.

i'd love to see quality, collector versions done of the film's core characters.:)

bigbarada
07-13-2002, 04:39 PM
I would love to see Dragon, bbi or Sideshow pick up the liscense and produce exclusively 12" collector figures. I went to andgor.com and had a look at some of their products and had to hold my jaw shut because it kept dropping open.

I will probably start collecting the Modern Military, Vietnam and Civil War figures when I can get more financially stable. They are absolutely incredible.

I can only imagine what one of those companies would do with a Darth Vader or Jango Fett figure.

Jedi Knightrider
07-13-2002, 04:39 PM
While I agree that a chapter will end with the close of the credits of Ep III, I heartily disagree that the next chapter won't involve Star Wars for most of the forumites. There will always be something to discuss. There will always be something to critique. There will always be something to shed new light on, look at differently, open new perceptions of that which we thought there was only one interpretation. The discussions/debates/ and digressions (like "what is your favorite food" general discussion threads...) will go on for quite a while. We don't know if this will be the end. Lucas has said it will not be the end of his career. It might not be Star Wars, but there will most likely be a Lucas project that we can discuss.

At this point, I see that Star Wars will never take a back seat in my life. I, too, am into a diverse spread of interests, but just because the saga is over, doesn't mean that my interest in it is. Maybe one day, down the road, something will come by that captures my spirit the way Star Wars does. Most likely, whatever that is will not replace it, but make me think about it more, for the appreciation that there once was, and is again somthing that makes me feel that way.

derek
07-13-2002, 05:00 PM
big barada,

what ever you do, don't buy anyting from andgor. i placed a custom order with them in february and was supposed to get it in 6 weeks. well, it's july and i've got nothing. and i'm not the only one they have screwed over.

as for buying boxed figures from them, don't do that either. there are plenty of other honest vendors i'd suggest who won't rob you.:)

i've heard too many horror stories about them ripping people off.

as for what a company like BBI, or dragon could do, check out this luke sculpt done by a guy who sculpts for dragon: (image by super serg)

Jargo
07-14-2002, 08:34 AM
That's not Luke that's Brian Ferry of Roxy Music fame! "Avalon...." :p

hey, when it's all over I'll still be here babbling on and disagreeing with people who think the SAGA figures are good. I'll still be here discussing the movies merits or lack of. Still be posting in the general section about all kinds of rubbish.
The whole point of this site is that it caters to fans. You just gonna stop being a fan because the movies are done and dusted and the toys aren't made anymore? What kind of fan is that? Fairweather fan that's what. Lightweight. :zzz:

Vortex
07-14-2002, 01:50 PM
When its all said and done, the end credits roll - sell off my carded collection hope for a small profit buy the DVD's, check out the forum once in a while to see what's up, and to get outta the toy collecting hobby.

Maybe get married and start a real life:)

rynobot
07-14-2002, 04:36 PM
I try not to think about life with out SW. To me it would be like life with out oxygen.

Nebulaz
07-14-2002, 04:39 PM
or life without mmm nevermind.

DarthBrandon
07-14-2002, 05:38 PM
Sit back and count all the money I have spent on toys and other Star Wars related materials. I will then take a long hot bath, put on my space suit and pilot the Falcon to another Galaxy.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-14-2002, 05:59 PM
When it's all over, the credits have rolled, and Darth Vader breaths his last movie, I'll go home and watch the masterpiece that started it all. Then I'll reminisce back to the day I became a Star Wars fan, look at all the memorabilia I have acquired, and say to myself, "Star Wars, now that was, is, and will forever be something."

jjreason
07-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Same as last time (ROJ). Many will move on, but a few will stick around and keep going over the same things we keep going over. There will always be toys to buy, sell, trade and discuss until every one of us has a complete collection (or collections complete enough to sate us) - if there is such a thing.
If there had been no prequel trilogy, this forum would still exist in one form or another. People would still collect the vintage line and talk about the OT and EU. The GOOD news is that there IS one more movie, and that movie will expose yet another legion of latent-fans-in-waiting to a virus that none of yes has yet to kick: SW fandom.

InsaneJediGirl
07-14-2002, 07:28 PM
When everything is said and done..I'll still be a Starwars collector.There are always things to do,EU should be
around for a bit after Episode 3.No way am I parting
with my collection justbecause there are not going to
be anymore Starwars movies.:DWhat else would I do
with my spare time?

LTBasker
07-14-2002, 09:17 PM
I think I'll keep collecting Star Wars, theres always stuff left to grab. Just like I was collecting the vintage figures before POTF2 came out. Plus there will probably be some special anniversary stuff later on by other companies and such, and most likely Lucas will have them rerelease the prequel movies over and over for awhile like they have with the OT. ;)

KingOfSting
07-14-2002, 11:23 PM
when its all said and done as far as the movies are concerned ill be 19 and have 10 years of collecting star wars to look back on...god it seems like forever that ive been collecting. granted i took a year long hiatus but when i returned (just in time for the end of potj) it felt like i never left and i get a certain fulfillment out of keeping my collection growing. i still remember the first star wars action figure i bought - orange carded potf2 darth vader w/ long saber. unfortunately i no longer have that figure (i believe the saber broke) however i plan on buying a new one to keep moc to represent my "first step into a larger world." after the last figure is released i will go back and complete my toy and comic collection... who knows perhaps ill even go on to obtain all of the vintage figures...but what i do know is that star wars has been with me longer than any of my other hobbies (besides reading spider-man comics) and after its all over, i will never forget the experiences ive had from being a star wars fan, hell i wont quit being a fan because star wars means so much to me. not the most important thing and certainly not the only thing i the world to me, but important nontheless. when its over and you cant walk into a store and purchase a new star wars toy or comic or whatever anymore...i know that for me, personally, it will never be over and my memories of everything that star wars brought with it will remain with me forever

rynobot
07-14-2002, 11:31 PM
I'll be 21 and be able to get drunk whenever I want to, jezz I can't wait.

KingOfSting
07-14-2002, 11:34 PM
haha good one rynobot...i once saw a keychain and it read "21, and legally able to do what i've been doing since i was 15" i found it to be amusing and thought youd find it funny...ahh im just getting off topic now

rynobot
07-14-2002, 11:37 PM
if only I could comprehend what I read write now.

KingOfSting
07-14-2002, 11:40 PM
now edited and in comprehensible english! :D

rynobot
07-14-2002, 11:45 PM
there we go, now to solve my typing problem, maybe bigger and brighter keys.

bigbarada
07-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by derek
big barada,

what ever you do, don't buy anyting from andgor. i placed a custom order with them in february and was supposed to get it in 6 weeks. well, it's july and i've got nothing. and i'm not the only one they have screwed over.

as for buying boxed figures from them, don't do that either. there are plenty of other honest vendors i'd suggest who won't rob you.:)

i've heard too many horror stories about them ripping people off.

as for what a company like BBI, or dragon could do, check out this luke sculpt done by a guy who sculpts for dragon: (image by super serg)

That's a pretty good likeness, is that a roto-molded head? If so then it is an excellent likeness. Knowing what I know about the difficulties of getting a decent likeness through roto-molding.

I saw the 12" Jango Fett at Wal-Mart the other day and that is one incredible figure, I hope that Hasbro is taking note that we really do want well made 12" figures and are willing to pay for quality.

Jargo, I won't cease to be a Star Wars fan after Ep3 is released, I will just move on to other interests and SW will be put on the back burner for a while. I have plenty of other hobbies that I have been neglecting because of SW and I will just start dedicating more time to them.

jedihunter25
07-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Save up for a BIG house to put all my stuff and build alot of dioramas!

derek
07-15-2002, 12:43 AM
big barada,

the head is a resin cast super serg commissioned. the guy who sculpts them is really good. serg said my luke head is "in the mail":)

by the way, your brother is a good sculptor. has he ever done any 1/6th scale heads?

this same guy also did a really cool han solo head:

Nebulaz
07-15-2002, 02:54 AM
Glad we all feel the same way =).

plasticfetish
07-15-2002, 04:29 AM
I can't imagine that it will reeeeeealy be over ... after all, isn't Lucas still trying to move into the Presidio and open that nice big digital studio? Who knows? Even if the films DO stop coming ... there's already so much history to this thing, the momentum could carry on for ages.

On a related note ... my 4 year old son is talking about directing Star Wars episode 10 ... so we all might have something to look forward to in a few years. I have no idea who is going to do episodes 7,8 and 9 or why he decided to skip over them. At the very least I think we can all look forward to kooky kids like him still being interested in all of this for some time to come.

-pf