PDA

View Full Version : How do your significant others cope?

jonboy
07-13-2002, 07:43 PM
I don't know if there is/has been a thread posted on this, but oh well. I was wondering how my fellow SSGers' significant others cope with the hobby/addiction/obsession that rules most of our lives? As for myself, I am very lucky. My soon-to-be wife takes it all in stride. She is usually more than willing to go on my crazy figure hunting binges. She will even help me rifle through all of the cluttered pegs to find what I need. If she is shopping without me, she knows what I need and readily buys it for me. I have never heard a single complaint(at least not yet) from her. How about everyone else?

LTBasker
07-13-2002, 08:33 PM
Yeah there was an old thread in the General Discussion, buried now, which is where this thread might get moved to.

Anyways, I don't care what my significant other thinks because they're so insignificant, they don't exist! I'm single. :D

jonboy
07-13-2002, 08:38 PM
I forget what it is like to be single.

JediCole
07-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Jonboy, you are very lucky. I am surprised there have been no responses that directly address your question, but, give it time. You should marry your fiance right away, she sounds a good catch!

I have been very fortunate. When I met Mrs. JediCole she had seen the Star Wars films (only three at the time), but that was the extent of her knowledge of Star Wars. She had seen each one a single time. That was it.

And then it began. She discovered the facinating world of Star Wars merchandise. We had been married for quite a few years before she got to experience "the hunt" first hand. During the dreadful years of no new Star Wars toys, we contented ourselves with saving up to complete my collection. Yak Face was the only vintage figure I lacked, having been unaware of its existance for many, many years. And then she surprised me by secretly buying the A-Wing fighter for me. What a gal!

In more recent years she has had an active roll in both my personal collecting and our former hobby of selling as dealers at local toy shows over the last 14 years. In 2002 we became an official business and are working to grow that business to the point where it can support us both.

And she really does know her stuff when it comes to Star Wars! She is not one of these significant others who understands and/or tollerates the hobby. She also gets right into the middle of the action and can hold her own in Star Wars discussions with our good friends Sith Worm and DingoDad.

jonboy
07-13-2002, 09:13 PM
JediCole, yes I am lucky, but it sounds like you may be even luckier. Also, good luck on your business and I hope that it works out for the both of you.

DARTHVADERUSA
07-16-2002, 06:05 PM
I happen to have a different take on my significant other.

My wife is an avid Barbie/Gene/Madame Alexander/Doll collector. She thinks nothing of filling up our home with dolls & doll related merchandise. Only in self defense did I actually start collecting Star Wars. If I did not stake out some part of the home as mine, I was fearful of one day waking up & finding that I now lived in a full sized Barbie model house !! It is to unthinkable to bear!!:eek:

Be thankful that your fiance enjoys Star Wars but beware of the Dark Lord of the Sith...Darth Barbie:D

jonboy
07-16-2002, 06:13 PM
My last girlfriend collected them. To protect myself, I told her that it was best to keep them in a box in the closet to keep them safe. She bought it!!!

Stikman
07-16-2002, 06:43 PM
My wife is really cool about it too. She saw my toy collection well before we got married so she knew what she was getting into. I always think she's going to start complaining when I buy things that are a bit more than average like 12 inch figures or the lightsabers but she never complains. I'm pretty lucky.

Thumb Wars
07-16-2002, 08:03 PM
i have no significant other so there is no real problem. there have been times that i've brought a girl back to my place, and she's caught a glimse of my star wars room in my apartment. most times i get the "oh, you collect . . . . . uh . . . . toys . . he he". i know then that this is not going to be good in the long run. i'm still waiting for that special girl that goes, "oh! cool! star wars figures!!". i can dream . . . . . . . .

Jonna
07-16-2002, 09:17 PM
Cope!?! All of my friends know that I am the way that I am and if they don't like it then they can go take a walk in the river. I don't try to change others and I expect them not to try to change me. My current girl knows this and when I do my thing, she goes off and does her thing. No hastle. No games. I don't get why people want to change one another to be more like themselves. I, if I ever found another me, personally would have to kill them. There can be only one Jonna!

jonboy
07-16-2002, 09:23 PM
I never said anything about changing anyone. I was just wondering how they take the Star Wars thing. As I can see, most people have wives/girlfriends or what have you that are really great about it. What is with all of the negative vibes floating around this site lately?

Jonna
07-16-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by jonboy
I never said anything about changing anyone. I was just wondering how they take the Star Wars thing. As I can see, most people have wives/girlfriends or what have you that are really great about it. What is with all of the negative vibes floating around this site lately?

Sorry, I tend to answer the voices in my head and not the post. As far as coping goes, WHY! Why cope with anything; why settle for anything? If someone does not like something then leave. It is just that simple.

As far as the negative vibes going on lately though, I completely agree. Something smells around here and I can't quite put my finger on it. I think that it is the constant fighting in certain threads that is spilling into other sections. I, on the other hand, do not follow these trends as I have always been this way.:crazed:

gibbspaulus
07-17-2002, 09:16 AM
My partner doesn't understand wh ya 30 year old man collects toys. He cannot get his head round it (much as he loves the films themselves). I either sneak stuff in, or face a disappointed sigh. I have reached then stage of stamping my ground now and just getting on with it (if he doesn't like it - tough).

Having said that we were in the states for the Saga launch and he did hep me find what I wanted in WalMart.

Aaah, bless.

DahrJin
07-17-2002, 10:53 AM
My wife has no problems with my SW addiction/obsession/ hobby. Like some other peoples partners, she doesn't mind toy hunting. She even encourages me to buy stuff when I find it. I will pick something up and then ask "Do I really need this?" and she always replies, "You better get it now, you never know if you will see it again." So I end up getting it. She even buys stuff for me when she's out shopping. That's if I need it. If she doesn't know for sure if I want something, she'll call me on her cell and ask. Ain't she sweet? ;)

I think she encourages me to buy stuff because she knows how cranky I can get when I don't get my SW fix. :D

billfremore
07-17-2002, 11:10 AM
My soon-to-be-wife has a similar attitude to your Dahrjin.
She'll always tell me to buy it now, because she doesn't wanna get gouged on e-bay. :)

icatch9
07-17-2002, 01:02 PM
It's all my fiance's fault. That's what I tell her and others. Sure I loved Star Wars since the begging. I even got a job just to buy Star Wars stuff when it came back out in 95, but in the following couple of years the stuff just got to overwhelming for a high school kid with little money. I played baseball in high school and college and only worked a month or two out of the year. Luky for me Episode 1 stuff came out in the summer when I was working some, so I was able to get all of those. Still I have a 3 year gap in my collection that I thought I'd never finish.
Once I was done playing baseball is when I meet my future wife. This was about the same time the Target Exclusive Y Wing came out. I saw a photo of one and thought it was cool. I didn't know how hard they'd be to get, but I asked her to keep an eye out for it. Since she lived just a couple of minutes away from a Target and the closest one to me was 30 miles away. Anyway she found one and that started my fire up again. See, if she didn't buy that Y Wing I would have never thought that I could complete my collection. That matched with her enthusiasim towards the hobby made her a great catch. Not to mention all the other great things about her and her charm and good looks.

Anyway, she's gotten me several great Star Wars related gifts. A riddle mini Boba Fett Helmet, a box of FF figures I needed, and SOTE Slave 1. She helps me find all kinds of stuff. She like going shopping with me and gets excited when I find new stuff. She just recently found the new Chewbacca for me. She right next to my father (who got my all but 5 of the vintage figures when I was a kid) has been the biggest help to my collection.

Thanks to her in two short years, I've gone from a decent but small collection to a complet collection. I've got every figure from 95-2000 and all but 3 vehicls. I also have all but 1 Vintage figure (missing Warok, but he's easy to get:)) and many fintage vehicles.

She is alright with everything I collect as long as I stick to just Star Wars 3 3/4 stuff and a few Starting Lineups and Sports Pics. She says as long as I stay away from the 12" stuff and all the other junk that says Star Wars she'll keep me :). She's bluffing though, I could buy anything and she'd still keep me :)

Exhaust Port
07-17-2002, 01:08 PM
The first thing I did with my girlfriend when she first came over to my apartment was to take her into my bedroom to show her something. She tells me now that she had quite a different expectation but was suprised when I proudly showed her my 12" Star Wars collection. That didn't scare her off and she's still quite supportive.

Often encouraging me to get certain figures/items and also gets me things from time to time. She doesn't quite understand it and is somewhat concerned where it will end up. Honestly I don't even know but hopefully we'll have a house someday were I can take over a room with my collecting. She just doesn't want to see this pasttime in the living room cluddering up shelves. I promise her (and I'd prefer) to put this stuff in its own room someday.

icatch9
07-17-2002, 01:25 PM
I hear you Exhaust Port, my girl is the same way. I mean with it cluttering up the living room and what not. I just wounder why it's alright for women to put up pretty picturs of places they've never been or paintings of stuff they don't have. Why is a painting of a flower in a pot better than a painting of an X Wing in space? Now I never wanted to decorate my home like's its some sort of Star Wars Applebees (even though that would be super cool!:)) Still, a few tasteful photos/paintings and or statuets would be very interesting and beautiful IMO. It's my home too, right?

Oh Well, I guess that's the life of men. We get the garage and maybe the basement and they get the rest of the house and get to pick what color it is :(

billfremore
07-17-2002, 01:36 PM
Actually my girlfriend has decided to surrender the living room to me.

She says I spend all my time in there anyways so she decided to kick me and all my collection out of the room I'm in and take it over for herself.

Finally, room to expand! :D

DahrJin
07-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Yeah it's the same at my house. It's all good until I want to display something SW in the living room that is. :D

She has softened over the years and let's me display some stuff in the living room. She likes the new Unleashed line, she let me display Jango and an older Applause Vinyl Vader I have and there's a SW S.E. release poster hanging in the living room now. Little does she know, that most of my stuff is still packed from our recent move, and the little spare room just wont be big enough for it all. And that's not taking into account all the stuff I have stored at my folks house from way back when. ;)

But like you all said, you have to have your own little room for your collection of SW stuff. It's just nice to go sit and look sometimes. Just wish it was bigger......arrrgh.

jonboy
07-17-2002, 05:31 PM
I am too scared to ask to display anything in the livingroom. I have a spare room that I keep my colection in and that is probably where it will stay. Which, I guess, is more than fair.

DahrJin
07-18-2002, 09:29 AM
Well, she moved the poster out of the living room, into my little SW room. :(

She's still all for displaying the unleashed figures as well as the KOTO Vader, as soon as I get mine that is, in the living room.

Anyone know when the Unleashed Vader is to hit stores?