PDA

View Full Version : Who is getting the EP1 DVD on 10/16?

Mandalorian Candidat
10-09-2001, 06:05 PM
Man! I am so psyched to get this DVD! I can't think of another time when I waited for one to come out. I'm soooo glad I "bought a player for the family" last Christmas.

I just finished reading two reviews on www.dvdeastereggs.com and www.dvdreviews.com and the set sounds like it could be one of the best (if not the best) to date.

Is anybody going to be heading over to W-M at midnight to pick one up? I think I can wait until a decent hour to get it, but it would be a lot of fun to get it and watch it that night with a bunch of Star Wars buds.

Is there anyone actually planning on buying it, but not on the first day?

Sith Apprentice
10-10-2001, 07:48 AM
Nope, I'm buying it on 15/10 woohoo!

For some bizzare reason unknown to anyone except GL, the UK is actually getting something first. Still doesn't make up for the fact that we can only now buy figures on import and not from local shops but it's a start. One store near me already has the empty display stands out and they look rather tasty. I might have to see if I can blag that once they are finished with it. All lovely purple and gold colourings on lovely shiny cardboard. Nice.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!

Mandalorian Candidat
10-10-2001, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Sith Apprentice
For some bizzare reason unknown to anyone except GL, the UK is actually getting something first.

You mean to tell me that the UK is getting the DVD before us?! When is/did it coming/come out? On the menus do they say 'colour' instead of 'color'?:)

Mandalorian Candidat
10-10-2001, 10:59 AM
Oh wait. I get it. 15/10 = October 15. I forgot you Brits do everything backwards over there.:)

El Chuxter
10-10-2001, 11:03 AM
I'm getting it after work that day, but that's not really a huge deal--I buy lots of movies, books, and CDs on release day.

A big deal, though, is that I plan to watch it that day! :D

ThomasLane
10-10-2001, 12:31 PM
I figure I can just pay a visit to Hollywood video on Friday night, get a rain check (I assume it will be one of their guaranteed movies), pick the movie up free (rental) on Monday, watch the new stuff, then wait for them to proliferate the used market and buy it for half price.

I don't know why I'm not as excited as everyone else about this release. Maybe it's because I already bought both versions of the VHS, plus the book (not to mention tons of toys). Lucas already has too much of my money.

JohnJohn2001
10-10-2001, 02:01 PM
yep, gonna get episode 1.

and can't wait to get my hands on willow on 11/20 as well!

JediCole
10-10-2001, 03:16 PM
Personally I'm holding out to see who's going to have the best price. I'll often buy a DVD one place and find out later that Best Buy or someone had a sale, usually Best Buy. I missed their sale on The Simpsons set, but since Bubba Fatt seems to hate his, perhaps I can buy it off of him...

Rollo Tomassi
10-10-2001, 04:12 PM
What's DVD? Is that like video tape? I already got it on Video tape. They released it last year in this special box with a little book and a few frames of film. It was pretty cool.

Lobito
10-10-2001, 04:54 PM
Digital Versatile Disk...and i am getting EPI on that date...(look at thread, although it might take a little longer since i am not in the U.S.):D

master jedi
10-10-2001, 08:59 PM
I can't wait to get it next Tuesday!!! I've been waiting for it to come out on DVD for the longest time. I only hope they don't do with this DVD what they did with The Mummy returns DVD and make 2 seperate DVD's. One for widescreen and one for full screen. Boy that made me mad;.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-11-2001, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by master jedi
I only hope they don't do with this DVD what they did with The Mummy returns DVD and make 2 seperate DVD's. One for widescreen and one for full screen. Boy that made me mad;.

Did Universal actually make two Mummy Returns DVDs? I was under the impression they only made one and that one was widescreen. That's the only one I've ever seen advertised. Do both DVDs have the same features (except for the screen format)?

Man, I better check my copy before I open it up and can't take it back.

Jedi Clint
10-11-2001, 02:14 PM
I'll wait. I plan on spending as little for this DVD as possible. I already own both formats on VHS.

master jedi
10-11-2001, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

Did Universal actually make two Mummy Returns DVDs?
They did. I go to wal-mart or something and check it out. Two DVDs. 1 with the full screen version and 1 with the wide sreen version. I think they should've had a 2 disc set or a double sided DVD or something.

JohnJohn2001
04-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Any news on a HD-DVD release anytime soon?

Blue2th
04-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Any news on a HD-DVD release anytime soon?
If there ever was, that's when I would start converting to HD. Wonder if it will be Blue-Ray or HD or both though? Guess we'll find out eventually.

JimJamBonds
04-08-2007, 01:46 PM
If there ever was, that's when I would start converting to HD. Wonder if it will be Blue-Ray or HD or both though? Guess we'll find out eventually.

I'd say both, that way Lucas can get both groups to buy SW yet again.

General_Grievous
04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
I think they're waiting to see which one wins the format war first.

jjreason
04-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Apparently Blu-Ray is outselling HDDVD 4-1 at this point.... I think the war is over.

El Chuxter
04-09-2007, 09:16 AM
It's not really begun. I still think 99% of the buying public won't be upgrading so soon after replacing all the VHS with DVD.

Blue2th
04-09-2007, 06:25 PM
I hope Blue-Ray wins. It seems to be the better of the two. Or it seems to hold more info on the discs. Of course some remember the VHS vs the Sony Beta system which was better quality but ultimately lost to the VHS.

I can't believe there are people who still buy VHS. I found out my brother has a whole collection of them. What the..:ninja:

jjreason
04-09-2007, 10:54 PM
They don't even make VHS tapes anymore - try finding a commercial movie at WM (or anywhere) released on VHS within the past 18 months.... I don't think there have been any. Tapes were popular for nearly 20 years though - I just don't see DVD hanging around nearly that long when we're already seeing better media that will soon be similarly priced.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I think another part of it is that the players are so freakin' insanely expensive right now when compared to DVDs.

I like how, just a few years ago, the concept of making separate DVDs for widescreen and full screen versions seemed absolutely crazy.

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 05:52 PM
But then the stupid people started complaining about the black bars.

Idiots. The world always bends to their stupidity. :mad:

darthvyn
04-10-2007, 07:20 PM
there are still movies that come out in the two screen formats - happy feet was one that had separate widescreen and foolscreen versions.

Rocketboy
04-10-2007, 07:41 PM
There are still a ton of both versions being released, mainly the big movies.

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Most of them, in fact.

The first I can recall to actually come in two different versions was Harry Potter 1. I even picked up the wrong version, but luckily caught the word "foolscreen" right before I opened it.

There are still several movies that were released only in foolscreen, like Master of Disguise and The Powerpuff Girls Movie. Some of these were supposed to be re-released later. I gave up on the promised 2-disc widescreen PGM DVD years ago. :(