PDA

View Full Version : The Official Evil Dead Thread!

mrhat
07-13-2002, 10:43 PM
If someone started one of these already im sorry, i didn't feel like searching 42 pages of threads. Anyways i finally finished my Evil Dead DVD collection with the finally price lowered Book of the Dead edition now all i need is that cursed European Version which i technically have in the "Official Bootleg Edition" I wasnt around when these first came out, but am really into them now that ive seen them. And the video game is hillareous! Bruce Campbell is the best horror character in the Horror/ Comedy genre if not in horror movies all together, so what does everyone else think of this series, and if you havent seen it i highly reccomened by myself, just rent it and youll see!

derek
07-13-2002, 11:25 PM
i just watched "army of darkness" for the first time last week. it was a pretty good movie. i had to go buy that sideshow 12 inch "Ash" after seeing it.:) "Evil Ash" is next.

i was rather suprised that the movie was only 76 minutes long! that's almost a TV show. but now i'm up on the Ash lingo. i was wondering what "shop smart, shop S-mart meant";)

mrhat
07-13-2002, 11:31 PM
yeah actually the so called real version which was released in Europe is 82 minutes long, and has a different ending, a much different ending you can see it HERE (http://www.geocities.com/d_sokoloski/index4.html) just click on EVIL DEAD on the side menu and at the bottom is a download link for the original ending! if you have a larger formatted screen you can actually tell what happens. ENJOY. I actually liked the US version ending (the one you saw) Those 12'' toys ROCK i have the McFarline version of EVIL ash from movie maniacs!

Wolfwood319
07-14-2002, 07:55 PM
Yeah, there's about a dozen or so ED/AOD threads already. Check them out to see previous discussions on the trilogy, game, the man, etc.

Deckard Smith
07-15-2002, 10:18 AM
I enjoyed the Evil Dead/Army of Darkness movies. Someone said they are making another one set in the future. Has anyone heard this?

billfremore
07-15-2002, 10:38 AM
Sam Raimi has expressed interest in doing another one and since he now has some clout due to his success with Spider-man he'll probably get it done.

Now if we can get Bruce Campbell to free up his busy schedule...:D;)

Jonna
07-15-2002, 11:29 AM
Actually Bill I have seen no tell of this anywhere, Raimi I mean. I did check out Campbell's site though and he stated that it is all just a rumor and unfounded. I would much rather like to believe that they are going to do this, but where did you hear that???

billfremore
07-15-2002, 11:37 AM
I got it from here...

Campbell not so sure about EVIL DEAD 4

By: CHRISTOPHER ALLAN SMITH
By: News Editor
Source: Moviehole

It looks like despite Sam Raimi’s recent indications he’d like to use some of his new SPIDER-MAN pull in Hollywood to get a fourth EVIL DEAD film made, the long awaited sequel might not be as done a deal as we all hope.

At least, according to series star Bruce Campbell.

“Well, when I've got a call time and a shooting schedule, I'll believe it", Campbell recently said when asked about the upcoming flick. That might not be such a bad idea, given the film has been percolating on one level or another (be it rumors or BS sessions between Raimi, Campbell and other EVIL vets) for years now. As recently as the release of SPIDER-MAN, in quotes to we here at CINESCAPE, Raimi said he’d be open to another film, but isn’t so sure the market would bear it after all these years.

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 02:55 AM
I saw something in Total Movie Magazine a year or two ago that Bruce Campbell was interested, but that they might just make another video game instead

Beast
07-18-2002, 03:01 AM
Well, Sam Raimi's next film is Spider-Man 2, which begins shooting in January. And the next film after that, apperantly he's intrested in doing "30 Days of Night". It will be an adaption of the comic with the same name. Here is the story from Cinescape. :)

Raimi contemplates post-SPIDER-MAN film
Eyeing vampire comic 30 DAYS OF NIGHTS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: Tuesday, July 16, 2002

By: CHRISTOPHER ALLAN SMITH
By: News Editor
Source: Variety

Just the interest of SPIDER-MAN director Sam Raimi caused a seven figure bidding war over the rights to the vampire comic 30 DAYS OF NIGHTS. The story is one of the projects Raimi is contemplating after finishing SPIDER-MAN 2, which starts shooting in January.

Raimi was attracted, according to VARIETY, because 30 is “so unlike the horror films of recent years.”

It tells the story of a town in Alaska that is dark for a month because of the Earth’s tilt away from the sun, and so it becomes a paradise for vampires. The only thing between vampires and general chaos is the town’s husband and wife sheriff team.

Steve Niles, who wrote the original comic, said, “Writing comic books is all about 'freezing the moment.' So just to see these people move around and talk will be refreshing. In the comic book, I could only show one instance of their love for each other, because it would take about two pages [of story board]. Now, there's so much more room to develop these characters."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
07-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Ok you've found my only source for movie insider info.
Damn!

I guess I just really want another Evil dead movie really bad.

SWAFMAN
07-18-2002, 12:55 PM
just in case you didn't see this... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=136775#post136775)

billfremore
07-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Hey SWAFman,
what the heck is your avatar?

Jacen Solo
07-18-2002, 09:02 PM
I think SWAFMAN's avatar is the Starship Enterprise. Am I right SWAFMAN?

SWAFMAN
07-18-2002, 10:53 PM
I think the avatar you were asking about was the red light on the hood of the KITT trans am.

JON9000
10-24-2003, 12:33 PM
In an effort to see some cult films that have passed me by over the years, I rented "Evil Dead" from the local Bbuster. Seeing how the film has nothing but fans I wanted to check it out. Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

It has effective moments, but it isn't consistently scary. Some of the creepier bits:

the tracking shots through the forest
The bit with the clock where she ends up drawing the book
Ash in the basement looking for Scotty
When Ash's girl friend is all possessed, sitting on the floor giggling at him.

It is over the top gory, and I have a strong suspicion this is the reason it has so many ardent followers. I can admire the movie for what it accomplishes on an obviously shoestring budget, but it just doesn't provide the sense of dread, or the ability to make my heart race, that a good horror movie should.

Are the others any better?

James Boba Fettfield
10-24-2003, 12:50 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but I liked the Evil Dead series for it's comedy. The first one is not real big in that department, but the second in the series is, I think, the best. The stuff about his evil hand, the stuff about his girlfriend and talking to himself, and when he has the cabin literally laughing at him with everything it's got. I never really thought of Evil Dead as pure horror.

To answer your question, the first Evil Dead is the weakest of the series.

mrmiller
10-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Evil Dead 2 and Evil Dead 3, Army of Darkness are classics due to their "campyness" (is that even a word). Evil dead 1 is more of the straight horror film, that of it's time (and budget) was pretty good. The goryness is also a bit campy, and a hit of what is to come in 2 and 3. You should definatly watch 2 and AOD. If you "get it" they are funny and entertaining, if you don't and think of them just as horror films, they'll be crap.

=MATT=

darthzirock
11-07-2003, 02:37 AM
Graphitti Designs Presents... NEWSARAMA @ ViewAskew.com
DF LANDS ARMY OF DARKNESS LICENSE
By MattBrady
11-05-2003

Dynamic Forces has announced that it has acquired the license for the rights to produce merchandise based on Sam Raimi’s Army of Darkness, the third film of the director’s Evil Dead trilogy. Along with the usual merchandise suspects, DF has indicated to Newsarama that comics will be included.

Army of Darkness was adapted into comic book form by Dark Horse in 1993, as a three-issue miniseries illustrated by John Bolton. According to sources, that particular miniseries isn’t on the immediate agenda of being collected due to a rights split between MGM and DH, although Dynamic Forces is looking into ways of making a hardcover collection of the miniseries happen, if at all possible.

That said, Dynamic Forces has told Newsarama that it will be actively seeking to make new comic projects based on Army of Darkness, and is looking into the breadth the license allows in material. The film starred Bruce Campbell as Ash -- the gun-toting, chainsaw-handed hero thrown back in time after fighting evil forces connected to the Necronomicon -- the Book of the Dead. The film featured well, armies of the dead, as well as mini-Ashes and Ash’s clone, Evil Ash.

Most recently, McFarlane has produced action figures based on the property.

“Sam Raimi has been making great movies for years, and now has certainly become a household name with Spider-Man,” said Nick Barrucci, President of Dynamic Forces in a press release. “But for those that know his incredible work from the Evil Dead movies, and particularly Army of Darkness, they’re in for a real treat with what we have planned for Ash in 2004! And we’re going to bring some new fans with us to the party as well”

Specifically, the license allows for Dynamic Forces to produce trading cards, lithographs, giclees, acetate lithos, wall scrolls, hardcovers, limited edition bookends and full-size head busts statues featuring images and characters from the film.

(What the heck is a "giclee"? Well, the word is French and it means "to squirt or spray ink." Most commercial giclees spray thousands of microscopic dots onto the paper, resulting in an image that is hard to discern from original works. And now you know.)