PDA

View Full Version : Boil and Pop?

Lman316
07-14-2002, 12:34 PM
Okay, I've never done any customs before - I'm usually afraid I'll ruin the figures and be left with some junk. However, I'm really wanting to try my hand and making some stuff (I'm working on a custom Handmaiden, not doing so well, but I'm trying) and I want to try to make some custom Gungan Warriors.
Anyway, I have heard that a lot of customizers use the "Boil and Pop" method. Apparently, you literally boil your figures and pop the limbs out of the figures. But I wanted to ask the specifics: How long do you boil them for? Is there any specific type of pot you should use? Could you use a hair dryer to get the same effect? Will boiling damage the figure in anyway?
If anyone can help me out with this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

End...:D.

jedi_uk73
07-14-2002, 06:25 PM
The boil & pop method is about as simple as it says. Boil some water, a milkpan is good for this. I find that if you tie a piece of string around the figure you can dip it in the water easily. A figure only needs a minute or two, or until it becomes soft. Then just carefully pull out a limb or two. Then using a pair of long-nose pliers, place into hole and 'crack' the body open. You can then add whichever parts you need, head etc, and then superglue back together.

For a more on this subject and some guides on other custom styles check out www.ffurg.com , one of the best customising sites about.

Lman316
07-15-2002, 01:12 PM
Hey,

Thanks.
That version is a little different than the one I heard, but cracking those peices might come in handy for some others that I'm doing.

Again, thanks.

End...

hango fett
07-15-2002, 01:47 PM
that sounds cool, jedi_uk73! i'll have to try that!

jedi_uk73
07-15-2002, 05:21 PM
No problem guys. Always willing to help. :D :D :D

Lman316
07-15-2002, 07:20 PM
If anyone is interested, you can check out my custom Capt. Tarpals figure in the Saga section (for now).

My Riding Captain Tarpals... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12069)

End...:D.

BoShek
07-15-2002, 10:22 PM
My boil and pop:

Microwave water in a mug for a few minutes. Make sure it is covered with a paper towel. Remove when it is very hot.

Only soak the part(s) you want to pop for a few minutes. DO NOT INHALE THE VAPORS.

Pop!

Easy.