PDA

View Full Version : Boil And Pop...

Lman316
07-14-2002, 05:40 PM
I have this posted in the appropriate section, but no one is answering, and I do need some help. If a mod has to delete the other, or move this in a while, please do - I'm not trying to cause trouble, I just need some serious help with this.
Anyway, I'm trying my hand at some custom figures (my first ever), and I have to know a few things. The first is about the boil and pop method. I've heard that this is pretty well self-explanatory: you boil the figure and then pop out the limbs, but I need to know some specifics.

How long do you boil the figure for?
Is there any specific pot you should use to boil them?
Will boiling damage the figure in anyway?
Can a hair dryer be used with the same effects?

If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

End...

Cubehead
07-14-2002, 06:05 PM
First, don't boil the figure in a pot. Boil some water, then our the water into a thick ceramic bowl. That's what I use because it retains the heat of the water, which is all important. Don't use anything metal.

Once you pour the water in the bowl, throw in a figure and wait
5 minutes. I usually will use a tea-pot to boil my water. This way I can keep adding more hot water to the ceramic bowl for additional 'heat ups.'

Be carefull when removing limbs, as it is easy to stretch out the posts attatched to legs, arms and heads. If you stretch out a post too much you can actually squeeze it back into shape, if it's still hot.

Usually I will take my limbs, heads, or whatever and add them into some fresh hot water to soften them up for re-assembly.
I use a small flat head screwdriver to push the over-sized pegs back into their holes.

I usually keep a bowl of extremely cold water handy. This way once you have dis-assembled your figs, you can throw them in the cold water to make the plastic hard once again.

Hope this helps.

DarthBrandon
07-14-2002, 06:44 PM
Cubehead, has hit the nail on the head for the pop and boil method. Use a towel when you are pulling the limbs and heads off. This is the best method to use to avoid putting dents into your figures parts.

Lman316
07-14-2002, 09:39 PM
First, let me say thank you, Cubehead, for giving me the run-down on the Boil And Pop Method.
Next, let me say: Cripes - that was much more difficult that I had imagined. I never knew the customizers had to deal with that...
Everything softened up nicely when I dunked Capt. Tarpals into the water. The legs were ready to come off, the arms, the head (at the neck), even the top of his head (his head is in two parts, the second part is eyes connected with his ears - that part came off, so now I have to glue it) everything but what I wanted. I wanted to try to take the entire waist off. That was stupid as that sucker ain't comin' off...ever.
So, I realized that I should just take off the legs. It was basically what I wanted anyway, so I should just deal. Well, I just spent better part of an hour trying to get them free. In the end, the legs turned out okay (once I got them off), but I really thought I had ruined them. Once in the cold water though, they were fine.
Now I just have the work of painting and applying other limbs and I'm fine.
Again, I want to offer thanks to Cubehead for helping me. Now I can see if I have what it takes to be a real customizer :D.
If I can get it done before they close this, I'll post a pic.

End...

pthfnder89
07-15-2002, 03:50 PM
Lman316 - Cubeheads suggestions are excellent, (although I DO tend to simply plop the wholle figure in the pot:D) and I thought I'd add one of my own if it would be of any help to you.

The problem you are having with popping the torso and the waist of the figure apart is that the center of all the figures are made of a different type of plastic than the arms and legs. It's a MUCH harder plastic than the arms and legs and it takes an intese heat to soften it. So much so that the limbs of the figure would probably dissolve before you got the torso off.

You will never be able to pop apart the waist from the torso using the boil'n'pop method. This meansa that the best way of swapping out torsos is unfortunately splitting the torso open at the side seams and then gluing it back together around the new waist piece. It takes a lot of work and patience but if you use a very sharp Xacto or hobby knife you won't be left with very visible seams when you glue it back together. I tend to avoid the process altogether becasue I'm lazy;)

Good luck on your figures!:)

Lman316
07-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Well, I realized just popping off the legs was good enough. But thanks again to everyone who posted to help.

Now I would like to unveil my first custom figure. As some of you may have guessed, it's a Cap'n Tarpals figure.

Here is the pic.

End...:D.

Lman316
07-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Here's a second one to give a better view.
As you can see, the skin tone on the feet doesn't really match up, but I'm working to mix a better color, and then I'll fix it. But it's not really noticeable anyway.

I don't know if it's very visible in this picture, but I tried to copy the regular Tarpals figure, with the color of his legs. There is a red undertone on the regular Tarpals, and I think I mimicked that pretty well.

End...:D.

rynobot
07-15-2002, 08:37 PM
that's looks pretty good

DarthBrandon
07-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Very nice job Lman316, I would like to point out if you decide you need a torso for a figure in the future, the method that pthfnder89 suggested would be the correct route to take.

Again nice job.