PDA

View Full Version : 12" line being discontinued??

duckhunter
07-14-2002, 05:50 PM
I have heard rumors from a couple different sources that hasbro is considering discontinueing the 12" line. anyone know if there is any truth to this? i have collected this line since the beginning.

derek
07-14-2002, 06:12 PM
for the remainder of this year, hasbro has planned numerous 12 inch releases:

1. count dooku
2. super battle droid
3. zam weisel
4. luke with taun taun
5. leia in bousch disguise with han in carbonite block
6. imperial officer
7. dengar
8. zucksuss
9. electronic jango fett
10. electronic obi-wan
11. max rebo
12. droopy mc cool
13. sy snootles

the sales may not be where hasbro wants them, but they have only themself to blame for this. if they would produce a higher quality product like jango fett and count dooku, sales would rise.:)

by the way, without naming names, how do your sources know what they know?

Bent Wookie
07-14-2002, 07:06 PM
I haven't heard anything about it. Maybe they feel they can't keep the quality up to their competition (no...really?? ;-) Yeah, if they would just put in the effort to match say Sideshow or Dragon's bodies, they'd be back full force (no pun intended) again! Or maybe Hasbro should try to get a piece of their rivals' sales (after all the extra 12" bodies customizers have bought). :)

Hey, where'd you hear about the Sy Snootles and gang, Derek? I've read about all of those figures cept the band. Sounds really interesting and I'm curious as to how they will turn out... :)

derek
07-14-2002, 08:35 PM
they are supposed to be wal mart exclusives. sly and droopy are supposed to be a 2 pack and max rebo is supposed to have his piano organ.

Deckard Smith
07-15-2002, 07:53 AM
I certainly hope this is just a rumour. I really like the 12" figures. It would be bad to stop the line.

abell748
07-15-2002, 11:29 AM
I hope they keep it. Most of the time I like the 12" line better then the regular line (except that horrid Zam 12" that is coming out).

duckhunter
07-15-2002, 05:51 PM
No, they did not have any sources, just heard it from etc. like i said, just a rumor and just wondering it any grain of truth to it.

JediTricks
07-17-2002, 04:20 AM
I can't tell you where I heard this, but this is MORE than just a rumor, much more. The source I've got on this is pretty high up and definitely an insider and what I've heard is that the line is in danger, not just vague danger either.

N-2PF
07-17-2002, 05:08 AM
Yes, the line will be discontinued. The question is when.

N-2PF
07-17-2002, 05:10 AM
Maybe after Episode III?

Super Serg
07-17-2002, 06:15 AM
I know you guys see this as a bad thing BUT Hasbro might also be
thinking of you if this happens. It's not easy for Hasbro to now
play catch up with better 1/6th Co's like Dragon, BBi & Shideshow.
If they were to stop the 12" line, that would leave the door open
for another Co to go to LFL / Hasbro & make seriously nice 12"
figs. Who knows though, if Hasbro does want to end the 12" line,
it'd be after E3 & thats still 3+ years away.

*SS*

Tycho
07-17-2002, 11:16 AM
I strongly doubt it. But I base that on nothing. JediTricks probably knows a lot more than me. But I still strongly doubt it.

Sales of E2 12" have been slow though. But not awful.

There are about 3-4 of each type of 12" Clone character at most of my stores, Obi-Wan in larger quantities if any.

Mace (the TRU exclusive) is sitting. Though with his messed up face, I'm not surprised. In comparing pictures of Samuel Jackson and that figure....

Anyway, I was quite happy with my Anakin Skywalker figure and the Troopers.

Looking forward to more.

Darth Cruel
07-17-2002, 11:36 AM
I do hope that the 12" continue to be made. I don't care who does it as long as they are well crafted. I think it is a defeatist attitude to quit rather than improve, though. I don't see why Hasbro cannot make the changes and still not let the cost get out of hand. I completely considered Jango Fett - UBH to be worth the $33.00 that I paid for each of mine.

But by that same token, I can see that people like me can be the cause of this. I usually don't buy stuff like the Speeder Bike combos until they go on clearance. And if too many of us are doing that, then the stores won't order them and it rolls back up from there (Proof that it doesn't always roll downhill).

Jonna
07-17-2002, 11:49 AM
It figures! Ya know just when they start to make figures that I actually want (Plo Koon / Zuckuss) they are doing away with it.

Jango Jett
07-17-2002, 12:18 PM
do you ever use the Ultimate Soldier figures and dress them with
SW clothing to make better articulated figures ? I think the 21C
SEARCH & RESCUE would make a pretty good Obi Wan Kenobi ?
the headsculpt has a blondish colored hair with beard, also the
WWII U-Boat commander looks like he would make a good
Count Dooku ? the headsculpt is of a mature middle aged man
with beard and some graying, he doesnt really look like Count
Dooku but he would make a good SW character of a Jedi.
The Hasbro WWII German tank sergeant from the foreign soldier
collection looks like one of the SW characters from an older
episode, the one dressed in all black with the big domed helmet.

Needles
07-18-2002, 12:49 AM
It figures! Ya know just when they start to make figures that I actually want (Plo Koon / Zuckuss) they are doing away with it.

I usually hate the 12" line,but Plo Koon is my favorite Star wars Character,and I want him,after he is made then Hasbro could do away with the 12" line,I hate it.

Super Serg
07-18-2002, 07:12 AM
Needles wrote:

after he is made then Hasbro could do away with the 12" line,I hate it.

Way to look out for the rest of us that still want to collect.
:D

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

*SS*

SirSteve
07-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Yeah... 12" line will definitely continue. I think you may have heard the MARMIT line may not continue. I heard this (rumor) because Hasbro liked what they did with the Ultimate Jango Fett and may do others, like a Vader.

Needles
07-18-2002, 01:55 PM
I know a lot of people like the 12" line but I think there ugly,and its my opinion.Some of the 12" are nice but the majority of them suck.I wouldmt be bothered if they were to discontinue it.Its Hasbo's decision not ours.we just make opinions.

mark2d2
07-18-2002, 04:43 PM
I would be upset if the twelve inch line died. I haven't bought any lately (Can't find that Jango to save my life!!!) as most of the recent offering haven't been all that enthralling, but am dying for a. . .

SNAGGLETOOTH and a HAMMERHEAD. Ah, heck, give me a DURO two while you're at it!

The True Maul
07-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Hasbro has to continue the line it has been doing very well!! :)

Needles
07-18-2002, 07:23 PM
it has been doing well,I Dont no how,because there all ugly,So I stick with my opinion

JediTricks
07-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
Yeah... 12" line will definitely continue. I think you may have heard the MARMIT line may not continue. I heard this (rumor) because Hasbro liked what they did with the Ultimate Jango Fett and may do others, like a Vader. Nope, definitely Hasbro saying the line is in big danger right now of getting the axe. And from what I've heard, the line isn't doing very well. Thrawn gave a similar warning over a month ago, but few really heard what he was saying there. I hope Dooku and the SBD pull some good sales, I know I'll be buying both. I would have bought all 3 if Padme had been the 3rd fig instead of Zam.

Tycho
07-19-2002, 01:29 AM
I have to agree with Steve. I think the line is doing fine. The turn-over on 12" here seems to be good, though that's not an indication of anything. I've checked with my other second-hand sources, and they've heard Hasbro is feeling fine about their 12" line.

It would seem ridiculous for them to give it up. With GI Joe they have one of the most successful 12" lines, and the bodies to do it with. Plus they're finally using those for Star Wars.

Meanwhile, though I don't collect the Marmit Line, I wanted to get the Emperor's Royal Guard. Does anyone know the status of this. It was on product lists a while back for this summer. I'd guess that's not happening, though it doesn't mean plans for a Marmit Royal Guard have been scrapped altogether. This was the one custom I planned to do - making the Marmit a Kir Kanos, using the Max Steele head. He's perfect for Kir if you just add a scar!

Anyway, Mark2D2, I also want to see 12" Cantina aliens and skiff guards. More 12" Podracers would be fun, though I can't claim there's a demand for that. But look: who'd have thought the Max Rebo Band? That's going to be so awesome!

I can't wait to rock out with my giant blue elephant-man! :D

Beast
07-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Well, Thrawn was also the one just recently that said that Cinema Scenes were not coming back. Even though Hasbro at Wizard World and at Celebration 2 said that they were planning on them for next year. :)

The 12" line is doing fine also, in my opinion. It's these unsubstantiated rumors of the line failing that is starting to get old. These same rumors have existed since 1999, when several of the E1 12" figures were cancelled. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
07-19-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by mark2d2
I would be upset if the twelve inch line died. I haven't bought any lately (Can't find that Jango to save my life!!!) as most of the recent offering haven't been all that enthralling, but am dying for a. . .

SNAGGLETOOTH and a HAMMERHEAD. Ah, heck, give me a DURO two while you're at it!

And don't forget our 2 pack of FX-7 and 2-1B w/ light up stomach ! ! ! ;)

Conflicting reports by JT and Steve? :(
Since I want the line to survive, I hope Steve is right. :D
But obviously a few things need to change if they want to survive for the long term . . .

N-2PF
07-19-2002, 07:17 AM
The question "...12" action figures in the future?" were answered by Andy Espenshade, Hasbro's Director of Marketing, in Hasbro's booth at Wizard World Chicago: "...We're still working on the product line for 2003 and focusing on 2002 right now. But certainly for the future, if they continue to sell well... " Here's the context. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11761)

Super Serg
07-19-2002, 07:58 AM
Hey N-2PF,
You're right around the corner from being able to get your
personal avatar.
Congrats & thanks for the info.

*SS*

duckhunter
07-19-2002, 07:39 PM
In my opinion, I don't think they would axe it completely, but after this year I would bet the new releases will be few and far between until EIII. At the store around here they still have plenty of the death star droid and imperial officers. One store even has about 5 admiral ackbars if you an believe that!

jedibear
07-19-2002, 10:45 PM
While around her (NoCal/NoBay) the basic first three AOTC figures are still moving (albiet very slowly), I've noticed the Jango still vanishes very quickly (actually haven't seen it in several weeks) and the KB troopers only turned in one appearance at our two area stores and quickly disappeared.
I think there is still an audience out there for these figures...the only thing that seems to wear thin to me are the constant repackagings as exclusives (like last year's Luke/SpeederBike or this year's Luke/Tauntaun) and not having the basic character include as much gear as possible the first time around (my biggest beef is the LACK of cloaks with Anikan & Kenobi....I took the cloaks from the EpOne figures and put 'em in 'em....and WOW! They REALLY shine! Especially the Obi-Wan).
Hasbro made a good choice with the Jango by including all the gear...granted the price point was a bit much, but still...it's a good figure.
If they were to CHANGE the line a bit....add more accessories with each figure...feature the best availible bodies (as they seem to be trying to do with the Dooku figure..don't know though...haven't had the pleasure of seeing for myself) & go back to higher quality packaging ala flap-front boxes with bios, I think they would learn in a hurry that the folks collecting these are willing to go a little extra for something special.
Here's hoping the line doesn't die.....

mini-rock
07-19-2002, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I don't think the 12" line will "die" either. Whats been the release average per year since '96? 15-20?

JediTricks
07-20-2002, 02:35 AM
The question was asked and I gave the answer I had. If I was allowed to tell you guys about the source I have on this, I'm fairly sure you'd be freaking out, and as worried about the line as I am.

derek
07-20-2002, 10:40 AM
jeditricks,

if hasbro canceled the 12 inch line would they let another company pick it up? i know mc farlane has the rights to smaller figures and a company like sideshow will do the 12 inch stuff. would hasbro go for something like this? i bet they wouldn't. they'd just cut the line and let it die.

have you had the chance to tell your source that if hasbro would produce a quality figure, they would sell? do they care? do they have a clue? that death star trooper, 4-Lom, zam weisel, and han solo stormtrooper, plastic chewbacca and $90 baby dewback ain't gonna boost sales. collectors want quality.:)

if hasbro stops making 12 inch figures, i'm done with star wars toys. i've already lost complete interest in the 3 inch line, with the constant resculpts and preposed figures.

mini-rock
07-20-2002, 12:03 PM
It would be a real disappointment IMO if Hasbro did cancel the 12" line, but they would save me a few hundred bucks a year if they did. I've only bought the 3" for my kids, but not EVERY figure though, so so my toy collecting days would be over.

JT, I hope your source is wrong.

JediTricks
07-21-2002, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by derek
jeditricks,

if hasbro canceled the 12 inch line would they let another company pick it up? i know mc farlane has the rights to smaller figures and a company like sideshow will do the 12 inch stuff. would hasbro go for something like this? i bet they wouldn't. they'd just cut the line and let it die.
Derek, I haven't checked with the source on that first question, but I seriously doubt they'd let any other company have it.

I honestly don't think Hasbro understands the concepts of quality with this line. Then again, I don't think they understand that figures don't have to just ship for a few weeks either, so the line has been under great stress for quite a while IMO. I don't get the chance to dictate Hasbro policy beyond the language of the almighty dollar though.

mini-rock, I hoped this info was wrong as well, but I can't say the writing hasn't been on the wall for a while now so even without a source, this is the way it feels to me - having a credible source say similar things just reinforces the idea that if Hasbro doesn't get the line back on track soon and collectors don't respond to the good things they do right, we won't have a line to look forward to.

Needles
07-21-2002, 09:47 AM
If it goes,it will be a dissapointment to many people,I wouldnt notice,all the toy stores around here usually cary legos,and 3/4" figure,they rarely have any 12 inch.Ive only seen like 4 different 12" figure,rest in pictures.

gtrain29
07-24-2002, 12:54 PM
They can't quit the 12" line! The only reason it sells bad is because of their own stupid decisions. I have every different 12"er they have produced. my only problem, is hasbro always reissues figures which had previously been hot so they sit on the shelves. Then everything else is slowed down and we wait longer to see never before produced 12" figures.