PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if Luke knows...

MFH
07-14-2002, 08:09 PM
that his grandma is buried in his backyard!!! I wasn't sure if this should go in the OT forum or the Ep2 forum. But I put it here because it has to do with Luke.

We saw her get burried in Ep2, and I'm sure the grave is still there. Doesn't Luke wonder who's in it? :crazed:

LTBasker
07-14-2002, 10:13 PM
"Luke, theres something I need to tell you... You know that grave near where you lived? Well it wasn't really your pet Gold Womprat..." - Obi-Wan in spirity form, post-ROTJ

Exhaust Port
07-14-2002, 10:49 PM
I don't think there would be any reason that he wouldn't be told who was buried there.

TIE Pilot
07-14-2002, 11:28 PM
For all we know, Owen and Beru might have had the grave markers removed so Luke wouldn't ask questions.

Beast
07-15-2002, 02:06 AM
It's not neccissary to hide Shmi's identity and existance from Luke. It's not like he didn't have parents, and that those parents had relatives. It's nothing more then Luke's deceased grandma. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-15-2002, 09:50 AM
Maybe she is called Shmi Lars on the grave stone after marrying Cliegg so Luke may not see a connection, but even if he does know it's his grandmother it doesn't really make much difference in his life does it, it won't help him to find his father.

PENDO!

Darkross
07-15-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by TIE Pilot
For all we know, Owen and Beru might have had the grave markers removed so Luke wouldn't ask questions.

My sentiments exactly!

icatch9
07-15-2002, 11:54 AM
It is probally there. What signifigance would the mother of a navigator on a spice frieghter have on Luke's life. He thinks his father was a boring man who died a very long time ago. Thus, he wouldn't care so much about his grandmother that he never knew any more than any of us would. It probally had Shmi Lars on the grave, but it still wouldn't matter.

Don't forget for all of his life, up until he meets Ben in the desert, Luke thinks he's a no-body from the plant that's furthest from the bright center of the Univers. He doesn't have visions of becomeing a great warrior in the rebelion. He just wants to go off and join the academy and have a chance to fly the big ships. It isnt' until he meets Ben does he find out that his whole life is a lie. Then he begins to realize that he has the opportunity to become great.
Finally, most of the information he was told by his aunt and uncle were to protect Luke. Probally at the orders of the Jedi Council (or what will be left of it) and Owen of course thought it best that Luke never knew of the swashbuckling ways of his father and his contemporaries. Becasue he may follow Old Obi Wan on some damned fool idealistic crused like his father did.

Exhaust Port
07-15-2002, 07:00 PM
Perhaps in the final, final, final SW trilogy dvd editions the grave markers will be placed into the appropriate scenes.

MikeAndTheBots
07-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
It's not neccissary to hide Shmi's identity and existance from Luke. It's not like he didn't have parents, and that those parents had relatives. It's nothing more then Luke's deceased grandma. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
Exactly, me and my friend were talking about this. Luke knew he had parents he knew Anakin Skywalker was his father, he just didn't know Anakin was really Vader and still alive. So I don't see why he wouldn't know that his grandmother was Shmi Skywalker, err Lars.

Jonna
07-15-2002, 09:50 PM
Hello people! Reality check! Lucas wrote one script after the other. Things changed as he went on with each version. You can't go back 25 years to change some miniscule point. It is not my intention to be mean, but think about it.

Exhaust Port
07-15-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
Hello people! Reality check! Lucas wrote one script after the other. Things changed as he went on with each version. You can't go back 25 years to change some miniscule point. It is not my intention to be mean, but think about it.

Look what he did with the re-release of the OT a few years ago. What makes you think that he can't go back and change things again. I think this is the reason for GL to withhold the OT on DVD until all the prequals are complete. Once they're complete he can edit the OT to include/wrap up any loose ends left by I-III.

DarthBrandon
07-15-2002, 10:47 PM
I don't think whether Luke knows his grandmother is buried out back has any bearing on the series what so ever. He clearly knows he has parents and a grandmother, so I don't think it really needs to be put in to the storyline.

Fixer
07-16-2002, 03:55 PM
The more pertinent question from Luke may be...

"Uncle Owen, where's Grandfather Skywalker's grave?"

"Uh....um.....er......well.... Beru, you wanna take this one?"

Jonna
07-16-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port

Look what he did with the re-release of the OT a few years ago. What makes you think that he can't go back and change things again. I think this is the reason for GL to withhold the OT on DVD until all the prequals are complete. Once they're complete he can edit the OT to include/wrap up any loose ends left by I-III.

Yes you are correct, but that is completely not my point. My point is that it is a fictional movie. People get to upset about these miniscule background inconsistancies. Let it go....;)