PDA

View Full Version : Saga Ki-Adi-Mundi the same as Ep1 Ki-Adi-Mundi? (merged)

Sidiously Darth
07-14-2002, 11:28 PM
I knew it! Well, like most of you. I picked up the new, and I use the term loosely, Ki-Adi today. Besides a couple of extra joints and some paint changes, this is the exact same figure as the Ep. I Ki-Adi. Hasbro pulled out all the stops for this one.:eek:

I'm happy to have the figure so my Ep. I Ki can go with the other Ep. I figures but I think they could have made an entirely new Ep. II jedi. Ki could come later.:rolleyes:

hango fett
07-14-2002, 11:39 PM
i knew when i saw it in the pack that it was almost a copy of TPM ki. they just added a metal saber and a deflection thing...... :(
bad hasbro!

jonboy
07-14-2002, 11:57 PM
He doesn't stand very well either. Are you really surprised that Hasbro done a rehash?

fourtwo
07-15-2002, 12:07 AM
i'm not terribly shocked. why do a new scan when the other one was just fine?

Lord Tenebrous
07-15-2002, 12:11 AM
It's a different figure of a outfit with very little to alter. But the face is different, the legs are different (AOTC Ki has pronounced heels), and some body work, mostly with the left (his right) arm.

I guess it's the costuming department's fault for not changing the outfit. Even the exact style in two different earthtone colors. Ah well. At least he'll look great hanging out of a Gunship (like in the "Mace Windu (Jedi Master)" television spot).

rynobot
07-15-2002, 12:48 AM
they could have gave him more articulation or an action pose.

Darth Narcis
07-15-2002, 12:49 AM
the figure is aweful. why buy it if you already have tpm version?

rynobot
07-15-2002, 01:05 AM
If you're a loose collector then they probably isn't a great reason other then he isn't expensive

jedihunter25
07-15-2002, 01:13 AM
Did they at least make his knees articulant so you can put him in a chair on the jedi council?

KingOfSting
07-15-2002, 01:22 AM
no he has no knee articulation nor can he hold his lightsaber with both hands...which kinda sucks, but i have heard that in AOTC he is only seen weilding his saber with one hand...

rynobot
07-15-2002, 01:33 AM
and Dooku was seen with one lightsaber and Mace Windu never had a thing sticking out in his back, point?

KingOfSting
07-15-2002, 01:55 AM
point being that like it or not, it seems that the ki-adi-mundi figure is accurate with his lack of double handed lightsaber grip

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
07-15-2002, 03:52 AM
I would have preferred a gimmick instead of a rehash.:eek:

DarthBrandon
07-15-2002, 04:08 AM
I wasn't planning on buying him as I knew this would be the case, just by looking at the pics, but I need an extra for my arena battle that I'm building.

Jedi_Rainman
07-15-2002, 04:39 AM
I'll buy it no matter what b/c its part of the collection, besides, it'll look good in my plastic prison collection :D

Deckard Smith
07-15-2002, 08:57 AM
There are some collectors out there who didn't get an Episode 1 Ki-Adi-Mundi. Not every one has been collecting the entire time.

MikeAndTheBots
07-15-2002, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I missed out on the Ep1 Ki. I'll buy this one though since he has a more accurate saber and what seems like more aticulation. Besides, what's an arena battle if Ki is missing?

Jargo
07-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Actually, having been thinking about this figure for some time, I went and played with the episode one version and wondered why I hadn't appreciated how good the actual figure is. IMO it didn't need changing any more than they did. His arm isn't gimmicked now it's articulated which is the only thing missing from the older version. I'm disappointed they did the dirty paint job but I can live with that. But they didn't do the eyes right this time round and made him look younger. I'll probably buy him to go in my arena setup like most people who open will.

jobi
07-15-2002, 08:53 PM
That the Saga Ki-Adi_Mundi is the exact same sculpt as the EP1 Ki?

He's got a new right arm and some paint "highlights" but he's the same figure.

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2002, 08:57 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS? grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

hango fett
07-15-2002, 09:11 PM
yep.....same exact figure...just what jobi siad is diffrent plus a metal saber and a deflection effect. whoopde doo!
:mad:

Deoxyribonucleic
07-15-2002, 09:28 PM
what's with the rehashes from hasbro...this one and the cantina sets to name a few? (I don't expect anyone to answer this question, it is rhetorical only!)

PEACE OUT!

:)

mrmiller
07-16-2002, 03:46 AM
Yes. I got him today, and what a major rip-off. The new jointed left arm is the only thing diferent besides some paint. They could have done a new sculpt for crying out loud. The new "jointed" arm doesn't even make a bit of difference, as he still can not hold his lightsaber with 2 hands in a normal manner. This really chaps my hide. Good thing I like the Ep1 figure (oh, and I guess the ep2 as well....) or I'd be tempted to do something drastic....

=MATT=

mrmiller
07-16-2002, 04:00 AM
Why are you all making excuses for Hasbro? I liked the EP1 figure, but there is no reason not to have made a new sculpt for Ep2 except $$$. Yes, some people (kids) didn't get the Ep1 Ki-Adi but Hasbo also knows that the collectors will buy him too. So they take the easy way out and do a rehash of the exact same mold as the Ep1 figure, besides a lousey jointed arm. Crap, he still can't hold his lightsaber with 2 hands in a normal fashion. I don't even like the paint job on this figure compared to the Ep1 one. If I wasn't such a Junkie, I definately would not have bought this figure, and am pretty upset that I did anyhow. C'mon Hasbro, you made a resculpt of Sease Tin. Why not just start packing POTF Yoda's with a lightsaber and new paint job and pass them of as a "new" figure. Well, I better shut up before I give them any ideas and they reissue a Ep1 Obi-Wan with a painted on beard. Shame on you Hasbro. :frus:

=MATT=

Chiesa
07-16-2002, 06:14 AM
I have yet to see the AOTC fig... But if what you are saying is true... What a rip off!! I guess I will still get it to complete my collection... I'm sucked in too deeply!!

=)

mrmiller
07-16-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Chiesa
I have yet to see the AOTC fig... But if what you are saying is true... What a rip off!! I guess I will still get it to complete my collection... I'm sucked in too deeply!!

Hello. My name is Matt and I'm a Star Wars Junkie.

I'm the same way, that's why I bought it. I just hate that Hasbro rips us off KNOWING that we will buy it anyhow. I know I shouldn't, but I can't help myself.

=MATT=

Chiesa
07-16-2002, 08:52 AM
I definitely agree with ya on that Matt... Anyone else who feels the same??

Cheers!!

SNAYSON
07-16-2002, 09:46 AM
great. i'm really thrilled in getting this figure. I'll still get it but was under the impression that Ki-Adi_Mundi was going to be a new mold figure, not a re-used mold figure.

oh well...

LTBasker
07-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Has anyone actually compared the two figures together in person? They could just be along the same poses as each other and that's what people are getting so riled up about because they haven't compared it directly to the E1 figure.

brentfett
07-16-2002, 11:47 AM
Whether or not they are the EXACT same or not doesn't really matter. You can tell just by looking at them they're too similiar to be worth getting the AOTC version if you already have the Episode 1 version.

mrmiller
07-16-2002, 11:55 AM
I have them both- yes they are the same besides the arm and paint job.

=MATT=

JEDIpartner
07-16-2002, 12:37 PM
The figures are the same... the leg stance is identical. The only thing that differs is the paint application and some of the colours in the costume... and the arm joint articulation. What a total rip... they should have waited on this one and given us a better Luminara and a Barriss Offee

Darth Sidious
07-16-2002, 03:25 PM
I haven't found them, but I saw the comparison pics. That angers me. Im not saying I want some stupid statuesque action pose, but new legs and arms and stuff would be nice. Not too great if you ask me...I like Ki-Adi, but I'm not getting this one when I have the Phantom Menace one.

Thumb Wars
07-16-2002, 08:54 PM
i didn't get a chance to get a ki-adi-mundi from the episode 1 line. for some reason they were a little hard to find aropund here. so if i can get a new one, i'll be very happy.

gsr-jedi
07-16-2002, 09:18 PM
I think if it's the same figure as the EP1 toy, then they should have held off on making this one and made someone else like a Coleman Trebor

JediTricks
07-17-2002, 05:59 AM
I already regret buying the first Ki-Adi fig back when I was a completist, so this one is going to avoid me like the plague unless that lightsaber is super duper cool (which it doesn't appear to be).

DeadEye
07-17-2002, 09:45 AM
I never got the Episode I Ki-Adi, so I guess I'll get this one. :p

mrmiller
07-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I already regret buying the first Ki-Adi fig back when I was a completist, so this one is going to avoid me like the plague unless that lightsaber is super duper cool (which it doesn't appear to be).

The Lightsabre has a metal hilt, but other than that it's the lamest of the metal handles.

=MATT=

pthfnder89
07-17-2002, 03:19 PM
Well I've known this since the first pics of him showed up and JarJar put together a comparison photo. But I still plan on buying him. I liked the Ep1 version except for the fact that he didn't have any of the cool arm articulation that the other Jedi had. Even Mace had a cool arm and wrist joint and it's not like he fought in TPM.

So now that Ki Adi has some movement in his arms and can defend himself, I'll definitely pick him up.:)

Mandalorian Candidat
07-17-2002, 05:29 PM
This, like the Saga Qui-Gon, is another example of Hasbro pulling a "Malibu Stacy with New Hat."

I think I'll pass this time. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
07-18-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by mrmiller

The Lightsabre has a metal hilt, but other than that it's the lamest of the metal handles.

=MATT= Matt, you just saved me hunting time. :D

This is so tragic, Ki-Adi-Mundi is like the dullest figure in the Ep 1 line, why recycle him into one of the dullest figures in the Saga line as well?

mrmiller
07-19-2002, 08:35 AM
Matt, you just saved me hunting time. :D

This is so tragic, Ki-Adi-Mundi is like the dullest figure in the Ep 1 line, why recycle him into one of the dullest figures in the Saga line as well?

NP. Now if I could just kick this habit. They need a rehab center for completists. ;)

=MATT=

pthfnder89
07-19-2002, 03:04 PM
Matt, you just saved me hunting time. :D

I beg to differ JediTricks. *cough*Captain Panaka *cough*

JediTricks
07-20-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by mrmiller
NP. Now if I could just kick this habit. They need a rehab center for completists. ;)

=MATT= Heh heh, I thought this SAGA line was a rehab for completists. "My name is JT and I'm a completist. It's been 3 months since I last bought a Star Wars figure that I didn't want." :D (Saga broke me of being a completist, I look at figures like Plo Koon and Tusken Mother and Massiff w/ either figure and I don't even feel a twinge... except for lightsaber weilders like Shaak-Ti and such. Oh god, I'm weak!) ;)

pthfnder89, I think Panaka is way less boring than Ki-Adi-Mundi. Panaka has wrist articulation and mid-elbow articulation and a mean look and a bit of an action pose. Ki-Adi is just this lumpy doof who has kinda a wide skirt and arms out at his sides. Then again, I think Ki is like the lamest speaking-role Jedi of all time so that may bias me. But I still think he looks like a design that's from '97 at best.

Slacker Jedi
07-20-2002, 07:50 PM
What's with all the whining? Have you all gotten spoiled with different versions of the same characters?
Back in the days of vintage toys, a lot of the time the exact same figure got put out over and over: we had the stormtrooper, the Darth Vader, the Chewbacca, reissued with new cards from the latest movie that was out, but the figure remained 100% the same.
So what would be wrong if Hasbro reissued a figure that already exists in a new Saga Card, and perhaps with a new accessory? Is that a reason to cry bloody murder??
The new Tusken Raider w/Massiff looks a lot like POTJ Tusken Raider, but I'm still looking forward to adding one to my collection.
So quit whining, buy what you want and don't buy what you don't want! ;)

Mace Windex
07-20-2002, 11:38 PM
Hey gang, there already is a variation on Ki Adi Mundi. MY Walmart got in several of these and half had light colored dirt paint on his clothes while the other half had very dark dirt effect paint. I am not saying one was done more heavily than the other. Not the case. Both are as heavy but in different colors!!

jdmarlow
07-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Is this an officially reported variation, Mace Windex?

Mace Windex
07-21-2002, 07:16 PM
Not officially reported as per this site yet but I'm sure it will be. There are too many of them for it just to be an error.