PDA

View Full Version : Most-requested Halloween Mask: Osama Bin Laden?!?

JediTricks
10-10-2001, 11:24 AM
Why in the world would anybody want to dress up like Bin Laden for Halloween? The news is reporting that this is the most highly-saught-after mask this Halloween even though there is no such mask, so I've got to ask, what kind of people find this amusing and/or acceptable?

Mandalorian Candidat
10-10-2001, 11:43 AM
Oh wait. I've seen that mask. It also doubles as a horse's arse with the beard for a tail.

In all seriousness I think that would be kind of crass for a company to be making $ off of something related to the tragedy of late. If they were giving their profits to the relief effort, maybe it's justifiable but I would never get one.

Lobito
10-10-2001, 12:43 PM
Definitely for morons...unfortunately there are ppl that would try to get attention in any possible way, this is one of those cases. Still, i think if a guy shows up in a Haloween party with Bin Laden's (mask/costume) he would wet his butt kicked big time.

Fulit
10-10-2001, 01:00 PM
If I see anyone over the age of 18 wearing this, I'm going to rip it off his face. I hate this country's tendency to trivialize things like this in this way. It is not Bin Laden's face that's "Scary", it's his actions. This is worse than those stupid cartoon shirts they had of Sadaam Hussein back in the Gulf War.

THE Slayer
10-10-2001, 03:14 PM
Maybe they don't want to wear the mask but scarify it. Like make a scarecrow and hang it from a tree, slap osamas mask on it. I'd say that's pretty anti-osama, it's also kinda morose.

Does anyone see my point?

Rollo Tomassi
10-10-2001, 04:59 PM
There's a $5million reward for him so you could "accidentally" kick the ever lovin' GONK! out of anybody wearing it, and then sheepishly explain you thought he was the "real" bid Laden and were just out to collect the reward. Meanwhile, he's needin' a cold press for his eye and dental work, exactly like he deserves...

Brave Sir Robin
10-10-2001, 05:18 PM
Oh goody, how about a Hilter mask? Or General Custer, or Napoleon? Maybe even a cute little pair of the Colombine shooters? Whoever is profiting off of the loss of so many lives is a sick, sick animal.

master jedi
10-10-2001, 10:05 PM
I wanna go as Hitler. I really do. Not.

This is off the subject of the thread but it seems like the best thread to put it in.
On the way home from my brothers wedding my family and I saw in front of a persons house a large doll or 'dummy' made to look like an Arab hanging from a noose(sp?). I think they should get in trouble with the law or something for doing this. And it wasn't for Halloween either.

bigbarada
10-10-2001, 11:09 PM
One of the freedoms we fight for is the right to disrespect the dead, profit from tragedy and trivialize the horrors of the world.

I don't like it, but that's life.

Fulit
10-10-2001, 11:33 PM
I consider it less a freedom than an unfortunate byproduct. But you're right, that's life. I would much rather ***** about people's decisions than have to give up our right to make them.

bigbarada
10-11-2001, 12:15 AM
I'm going home for Halloween, so I think I will have some glasses of curdled milk for any trick-or-treaters coming to my brother's house as Osama bin Laden.:p

JediTricks
10-12-2001, 08:15 AM
Sorry Slayer, they clearly want to wear it.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is sick and stupid, rather than somehow amusing.

Tycho
10-12-2001, 01:32 PM
Referring to the hanging Arab display: I think it's a hate crime only if it is hung out in someone else's yard other than your own.

That is not to say it's not in bad taste and the people that live there may at the very least get toilet papered by offended Arabic-Americans, but they could be asking for much more trouble. I don't think if the sick bastards shoot some Arab who comes on to their property to cut it down, or vandalize, that they will get off lightly in court for 'defending their home against terrorism.' Their house would not be a target if not for hanging that Arab out there.

The same thing goes for an Anti-Semetic who hangs a "stuffed Rabbi" outside their home.

There are negative ways to show your support for your ideal American nationality, and positive ones. That's why we can hang US flags or banners respecting the police and firefighters who are working tirelessly to help the people of New York and Washington. A small Statue of Liberty is also appropriate. An eagle. A banner ad for cheap airline tickets. All these are acceptable ways of showing your support, solidarity, or desire to restimulate the economy and not give in to fear.

And kids need to express themselves and often don't understand adult sensitivities to dressing up like an enemy. That children are mocking them, should shed light on how our society feels about kids trick-or-treating as Arab terrorists or Bin Laden. Go lightly on that unless they're carrying real weapons. A little Sadam Hussein or even a 3 foot Adolf Hitler is sort of funny and mocks the 'funny looking man' it represents. There is better taste, but I have a sense of humor. Note that there was always a different feeling, a sort of heroic feeling you got as a kid when you dressed up as a police man or a fire-fighter. How about a US Army Ranger in mountain gear? That ought to be a hot costume this Halloween!

master jedi
10-12-2001, 06:32 PM
I didn't know about the stuffed Rabbi thing but any wasy I think it's horrible that people are doing this. I htink they're lowering themselves to the level of the terrorists.

Emperor Howdy
10-13-2001, 01:01 AM
I was thinking about a "Bacta tank" Luke motif this year, but I feel I would be terribly misunderstood and beaten severely.

You know, it's really coincidental you started this post, JT, for the simple fact that my roommate just commented tonight that he wanted to dress up like Bin Laden this Halloween. I can't really say my first reaction was shock or anger...actually I think I kinda half laughed, and half did the "pfffffff" noise.....with my mouth.....you know...."pfffffff"?...forget it. ANYWAY, my immediate response (after the "pffffffff") was, "Don't forget the bullet hole in the forehead". He said, "Definately.....that would be classic". So, if he does decide to do it.....wouldn't a Shot-through-the-head Bin Laden costume be acceptable?

JediTricks
10-13-2001, 11:32 AM
Would it be acceptable? Not in my opinion, but it would be slightly less unacceptable, I guess. I dunno, that sort of thing would feel to me like trivializing what was done.

Brave Sir Robin
10-13-2001, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
I didn't know about the stuffed Rabbi thing but any wasy I think it's horrible that people are doing this. I htink they're lowering themselves to the level of the terrorists.

I AGREE

Emperor Howdy
10-13-2001, 03:34 PM
Who's stuffing Rabbis?

El Chuxter
07-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't see why they don't make Billy Ocean masks.

JimJamBonds
07-20-2009, 11:20 PM
And today's prize for Post Diggin' goes to El Chuxter! Congrats El Chuxter on the fine work. :)